Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...
I love my swedish vallhunds to death but I want a cardigan some day sooooo badly!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...
allright if we're doing pems and cardis can we do swedish vallhunds as well? Just so ya know the public is educated. Not that I want to show off my guy ;)

Toki cost over 600 less then 1000. Swedish vallhunds can go anywhere from 1500 to 700, I think. They have similar temperaments to Cardigans. He is hands down the sweetest dog I've ever met. He has eyes only for mom. But will whore himself out to anyone that will even look at him, he's fiercely protective of our apt, incredibly tough (he's 'brother' it s 90lbs mutt) he's very fast and smart.

Some different tail types...

Toki as a pup..

Toki with his brother Ulfig

okay sorry done hijacking..

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Arzakon posted:

Does anyone know a quality Pembroke breeder in the Atlanta area, or maybe Vallhund? I have no qualms about driving 3-4 hours so South Georgia, South Carolina, Northern Alabama and Eastern Tennessee are fair game too. I'm looking at a house with a fenced .66 acre lawn and my wife and I will be on different schedules for a while which will work well with puppy training. I can't wait to be out of this apartment and into a house...

I can ask my breeder about a swedish vallhund breeder down south. Won't get an answer till after Tuesday, Gotta stress they are a different personality then corgis!

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Eff Jay posted:

Paddie can you explain to me the difference between a swedish vallhund and a pembroke? I'm not very familiar with vallhunds other than some brief googling but if you have one, you'd know great first hand. :D

Hmm, there are alot of differences. I don't know the corgi personality THAT well so whatever I say will be biased. I think vallhunds tend to have more of a 'sweet' temperament, the corgis I have known are more 'me first then you' mindset. Toki (my vallhund) is utterly devoted to whatever it is I'm doing, which is annoying at times. My breeder calls them Velcro dogs and they really are. But then again (just like corgis and every other breed) personalities change from dog to dog.

Based on their history (which is over 1000 yrs old) The Pembroke descended from their line. The debate is still out on that. They are definitely related regardless.

As far as looks, they can have 5 different tail variations. They are smaller then a corgi, slightly longer legged, they can either be gray or red headed. (Toki is grey) Their health is more immaculate (considering they are not bred out by lovely breeders like corgis or many other breeds) some Vals have been known to live for plus 20 yrs. The only thing they are prone to sometimes is an eye issue.

I've always liked corgis (still want a cardi someday) but now that I met and own a vallhund I will always have one. some day I'd love to breed them but I will be the first to admit I don't show my guy and that's a loooooooooong way down the road..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Vallhund

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Pooptron2003 posted:

I was at a drive through the other day and the cashier squealed, "Oh what a cute husky!" :neckbeard:

I'm still very confused.

I was at the gas station this winter and toki was peeking out of the backseat, some guys came out of the store and were like what kind of cat is that?! it's amazing! Sad thing is, they were being serious!! wtf?

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

warwick5s posted:

my corgis

let me show you them

HEY I know those two, they're the best corgis around!! :)

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

warwick5s posted:

Edison is fuckin smooooooth

aw I miss him!

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...
CORGI grooming question guys!

So I have a Swedish vallhund and not a corgi so I am not sure if their coats are different or not, I ASSume not since they are pretty similar in most ways...

anyways I work at a daycare place here in town, I saw the saddest looking corgi there on Saturday and I'm still thinking about him, he had the worst coat I have ever seen, (super greasy, looked fluffy but only looked that way because it needed to be brushed out) long nails, dirty ears, etc.. I wasn't on that side while I was working but I snuck over and did what I could with a furminator and cleaned his ears. He let me do it all too..

anyways my point being, can a corgi's coat really get that bad if they don't get brushed out? I assume being on a bad diet, having shitheads for owners, etc had a part to play too..

poor little guy! he was so happy after I brushed him and gave him some attention..

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

RabbitMage posted:

aw congrats rabbitmage! what does your other dog think of her? kudos on saving her from what sounds like a pretty standard BYB situation!

keeps the pics coming! I like the name Winnie.. :)

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Siochain posted:

Oh gods, I've read through way too much of this thread in the last 24 hours and I'm dying of cuteness overload. The girlfriend and I are looking at adopting a Swedish Vallhund from a local rescue - I know they're not corgi's but some people have posted about them so I'm going to drop a few questions and hopefully you fine cuteness-loving folks can assist us. It's her first dog, and my first dog in about 10 years, so it will prove to be interesting!

First off: food - how much? She's a little over a year old, and fully crate trained and housebroken, so how much do I feed her and how often? 1/4 or 1/2 a cup twice a day kind of thing?

Grooming - are the Vallhunds similar to Corgi's for maintenance? Once a week brushing, once a month bathing, get a good spinning brush for the vacuum kind of thing?

And last - training. I know they warn that she's a bit of a greedy puppy, but I assume using food-reward-based training is still the way to go? My only dogs were farm dogs, who got trained on a lot of stuff but, well, outside. A good friend is currently fostering her, so she's going to let me know how her basic training is, but I'll need to go from there to keep her entertained and mentally stimulated. And can I throw into this - barking - are they like corgi's or quieter or?

Oh gods I'm too excited, and this thread has not helped! Thanks a ton in advance awesome folks!

Swedish Vallhund owner here! :)

Where the heck did you find a vallhund in rescue? I am floored by that!

My guy, Toki, Is 3 yrs old. I couldn't tell how much he eats since I free feed and his 'brother' is 120lbs. Not too much tho, because like corgis you gotta watch their weight.

I usually brush him out with a furminator once every 2 weeks, I could do more (like once a week) but he doesn’t shed as much as one would think. He tends to have a brush off and wear coat, I give him a bath like maybe 5 times a year tops. the top is more coarse and the undercoat is pretty fluffy. so they are pretty low maintenance in my experience.

Training, my breeder always describes vallhunds as 'Velcro dogs' this is very true, Toki also lives to please which is nice. His recall is awesome and we didn't have to work too hard on it, but all dogs are different, food rewards is definitely the way to go if she is food motivated. Agility is a GREAT idea for these guys. I started toki in agility at like 6 months he is so fast and loves to be challenged..

Barking, toki has a very shrill, loud bark when he wants, he does not bark too much. I personally think he is quieter the a corgi. He tends to 'mumble' alot tho when he's worried/excited but not bark.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions! I love geeking out about Swedish Vallhunds and do the breed shows with my breeder every year so I'd like to think I'm semi informed. :)

paddiep fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 22, 2010

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

Siochain posted:

Got our rescue Vellhund today. What a sweetheart. One little submissive pee and that's all the problem we've had so far - she's awesome! Pictures to follow once I steal them off the girlfriends PC, heh.

edit: photos!

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Asa doing her normal cuteness.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

More cute.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

And now she's just ignoring me while I try to take pictures with a dying camera battery.

holy crap she's a cutie! I love valls with tails! :) congrats!

paddiep fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 4, 2010

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

londerwost posted:

Corgi day.

I LOVE this one..

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

GidgetNomates posted:

Also, as someone who has lurked around here for a while, I know you guys are ready to set someone straight with these things, so if I'm being at all unreasonable in the way I'm approaching this I want to know. I know the horrors of having a puppy, but I'm more than ready to deal with it. Living in an apartment is probably my biggest concern here, but I think if I can get the apartment I'm looking at I won't have much of an issue with the noise. However, I don't want to do anything wrong out of being a selfish person who wants a dog, so definitely tell me anything.

Sounds like you're being pretty reasonable in your search, As a herding breed/apt renter I know the horrors of raising a puppy (both a small one and a great dane mix) in an apt. It does suck, I do spend alot of time outside (in Wisconsin weather nonetheless) but we make it work. Dogs are pretty adaptable. I have, however, gotten complaints from ONE neighbor (who also dislikes me) has complained about Toki (my Swedish Vallhund) barking during the day. He does not like it when he hears something weird outside and of course feels the need to alert/defend out little apt with his shrill bark. Since then I have done daycare once a week and we are lucky enough to have a yard by our place that I take them fetching/running every day. My two are fairly low-key but still have their quirks..

Pretty much just be ready to deal with more hassle then your average home owner and for god sakes crate train! Whenever I didn't crate Toki he did something destructive at least once out of every 5 times he was left out. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddiep
Aug 3, 2006

Elks love me...

anachrodragon posted:

Ask the breeder about their personalities and base your decision on that. All puppies are adorable, but you ultimately want a dog who's compatible with you.

I say this as my corgi is sitting on my feet, chewing on a cow ear. Her breeder was spot on when she described her personality to us.

I agree with Anachrodragon. My Vallhund was the most 'mellow' out of the litter and him and I are a good fit, whereas his sister is super crazy and hyper. choose which personality suits you best over looks anyday!

• Locked thread