Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

joozy posted:

moms looking for a corgi in the so cal area. i checked the breeder page in the OP and they are too far away and it doesnt look like there is any availability. does anyone know of any good breeders in the socal burbank/glendale area? im willing to drive!

Well the first thing to do is read through the puppy FAQ stickied at the top of PI, for general puppy advice and information.

You'll also want to decide if you're looking for a Cardigan Welsh Corgi or Pembroke Welsh Corgi, they're two different breeds with different qualities. I'd start with the breed clubs when looking for a reputable breeder.

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/
http://www.cardigancorgis.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

TheLoveliestRedhead posted:

I'll just tell you right now, Cardigans are where it's at.

I mean, look at this girl:

daww

She just looks serious. My husband and I sometimes joke that corgis are serious business. Josie often has important things to do, like protect our yard from crows, and inspect the house to make sure everything is in its place.

And yeah, after having Josie, I'm sold on Cardigans. I mean, no offense to the Pems out there. They're great too, but think our Cardi has just about the perfect temperament for us.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Original.Evil posted:

Sophie is 4 IIRC (and not that fat like the picture would make it), and has reared several good litters of puppies that we enjoyed adopting out to people we knew (both dogs are AKC certified, vet inspected, vaccinated, parents on premises, handled daily, etc).

I like this thread, and don't want to be personally responsible for the shitstorm that will inevitably come from your statement, but I do want you to realize that PI has a history of supporting only responsible breeders. What do I mean by responsible breeders? Well the original PI FAQ should help to sort that out.

Personally I would be interested in hearing what titles your dogs have, and what kind of contracts you "adopted" the puppies out under...

PI FAQ posted:

Finding a reputible breeder

This is a rather tricky one at times depending on the dog breed that you are looking to get, if you are looking to get a super popular breed then you can almost be assured that there are going to be people who are out there pumping out puppies for cash with no concern for the health of the animals.

The quickest way usually is to contact the local breed club for the specific breed that you are looking at to see if there is a breeder in your area. The national club would be the place that you would want to get the information about your local club, going to and searcing for " club of America" would bring up the club that you are looking for right away. It is entirely possible that you will not have a breeder close to you, one that is having puppies at that time or one that doesn't seem to be very reputible.

If you are still having problems finding a breeder or want to know if someone is reputible, post about it in Pet Island. You will have ALOT of people offering ALOT of information very fast and you will be able to make an informed decision. If you are looking for a breeder, it is possible that you have a PI regular living near you who knows someone in that breed or knows someone who knows someone. The more I get into the dog world the more I am finding out that it is a large family, it can be catty as hell at times but still a family.

The big 3 things that should scream at you about someone who is a Miller or a Back Yard Breeder (BYB) are:

1. Will not let you visit their kennels/home at all.
2. Are breeding non-championed dogs.
3. Their idea of health testing is "they have gone to the vet and gotten shots!"

Let's step through these points one by one as to why they are important.

First of all, #1, they won't let you visit their kennels/home. Would you want someone to come and see your kennels if you animals are all covered with their own poo poo and placed in cages small enough to make veal cattle enclosures seem spacious? While you might think that this is an exagerattion, it is unfortunately not. Millers put as little money as they can into maintaining the animals and attempt to get as much money out of them as they can through pumping out puppies.

Secondly, breeding non-championed dogs. You are thinking, why they hell would I want my dog to come from championed lineage? This isn't a showdog, it is a pet! When a dog is Championed that means that it has conformed to the standard enough to be recognized as a example of what the breed should look like. Why is this important? The standard for the animal describes everything: behavior, body mass, body structure, size, etc. A non-standard animal can have problems in any of those area's, but usually you see problems in behavior/tempurment and body structure with Mill bred dogs. If that doesn't seem that bad, imagine playing $2500/hip for a dog with hip dysplasia. While it is possible for your reputible breeders dog to have this possible, the chances will be lower given the stringent breeding research that is done.

Lastly, health testing, given the vast array of genetic problems that can happen with any dog just "taking them to the vet for shots and a couple of pokes" isn't going to be enough. There are genetic problems that are specific to certain dog breeds that need to be checked for; dysplasia, liver, thyroid, etc. While the shots are extremely important at a young age, checking the pups for genetic problems is important as well. Especially since if they aren't checking the pups, they aren't checking the parents and could be breeding two high probable displasic dogs together. There is alot more that goes into breeding dogs than throwing two dogs in a room and watching them rut.

While you might think that you are rescuing an animal from these conditions, I can assure you that you are most certainly not. Every dog that you remove is replaced by another and all you have done is given them more cash to operate with.

A reputible breeder will do most if not all of the following.

- Will want you to come and visit the kennel, they would like you to come and see their dogs and talk with them about what your plans with the dog are. - Will provide you with the pedigree of the dog, including showing the papers of their dogs.
- Will talk about the championships and titles that their dogs have obtained. - Will discuss the health testing and number of vet visits that their animals have obtained.
- Will discuss the health concerns that the breed has, hip/elbow issues, heart/liver problems, etc. Which relates back to the previous point. - Will require you to have a vet ready to go back home so that you can get the dog checked out upon return to your house.
- Will require a contract with the dog that will place the dogs interests above your own. What this means is that they will require the dog to be spayed/neutered and will put a clause in the contract that if you have to get rid of the dog for any reason that you will give it back to the breeder. There are usually clauses in there for the removal of the dog from a bad home, sometimes they are unusually broad though so make sure about what you are reading. If you are getting a show dog, breeding specifications will be built into the contract as well.
- Will place the dog on a limited registration, this means that the animal will not be able to register any puppies which would issue from it. Full registration is reserved for show animals that will be used to continue the line.

Now, if this information isn't offered up you should ask about it. All of it. Things to look out for:

- A breeder more concerned if you are able to pay for the dog than if you are right for the dog. A monetary concern leans heavily towards breeding for cash rather than the betterment of the breed which is what a good breeder should be doing.
- A breeder that will not allow you to visit the kennels and insists on meeting at a site that is "neutral". This rings puppy mill like no ones buisness. They don't want you to see where the dogs are from because you will flee in horror from the conditions that they keep their animals in.
- A breeder that doesn't require you to spay or neuter your pet quality pet. This tells you that they really don't care about what you do with the animal, more specifically they don't care if you start up your own breeding buisness. Because the more the merrier, right?
- A breeder that cannot show you a pedigree or is breeding non-championed animals. This person is not breeding for any reason other than to make dogs, they don't want to ensure that their animals conform to the standard for the breed. In fact, their animals are most likely so far out of standard that they wouldn't be able to show them, even if they were registered. A side note on breeding non-championed animals to championed animals, it is possible that the non-championed dog was pointed before something happened that caused it to be unable to finish. This would be a question to be very specific about, if the dog was on a roll and getting points and had a major under their belt but then was hit by a car persay and cannot be shown. It might be possible that they were breeding from expected future performance. But, this is still a very questionable practice.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 3, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

randomity posted:

She reminds me of my neighbor's Jack Russell Terrier. Except longer and with pointier ears and shaggy fur.

See this is exactly what I was thinking. She looks like a corgi/JRT mix... or she could just be a poorly bred corgi I suppose. Who knows...

Speaking of which, I was in my local pet food store with my husband and Josie, and there was this woman there who swore up and down that Josie seemed "small", and that the corgis she was used to seeing were all a lot bigger. We were kind of like, "Um, Cardigans actually run a bit larger than Pems." I don't know what kind of fat-rear end monster corgis she's used to seeing... Or maybe she was just confused.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

So, after much consideration, I've broadened my horizons (thanks, in large, to this thread) and am considering making Frank's sibling a Cardi despite my original partiality to Pems. For you Portland/Seattle Corgi-freaks, C-Myste is the breeders y'all have used, yeah? And for those of you who did C-Myste, which Cardi's were the parents of your furry, funny little chilren? My wife and I are probably going to start bugging them about there next few litters and trying to get one from them, as we're moving to a house (with a big yard!!!!) and it's going to be perfect for creating/continuing my devlish Corgi army.:3:

I haven't met Carolyn from C-Myste in person, but she was very nice via email. I think she's in a position now where she's networking with a lot of other Cardi folks. She said she's semi-retired. She still shows her dogs, and plans the breeding (she knows a lot about genetics), but I get the impression that she doesn't have the time to handle the whelping and puppy raising process. So she sort of "outsources" that part to her friends.

Josie's parents are Wally and Hannah who are actually owned by Carolyn's daughter. Josie looks a lot like her mother, and apparently has a very similar sweet temperament as well. The litter was raised by a friend of theirs, Megan of Starry Nights Stables, who was really nice when we did meet her in person.

Edit: Looking at Megan's blog, it looks like Hannah broke her foot recently :( . And they had a little corgi reunion party, which looks really cool, even if Josie's brother's ears do look retarded.

This is why we taped her ears, so they didn't wind up silly like this ;)

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2009

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Siets posted:

I am in love with this thread. Every post with a corgi making the :haw: face just makes me melt.

I've been thinking about finally getting a dog of my own for several months now that I have moved into a house. I grew up with a sheltie-mix who was a strong herder and couldn't see myself with any other mental type of dog.

I've begun the arduous task of trying to find a reputable breeder near the Twin Cities, MN area that conforms to the stickied PI recommendations. Going from the Pembroke Membership website seems to be the way to go, but time will tell with the breeder as she doesn't have a website.

I've also been looking at rescuing. Lilly stood out to me based on the personality description, however, she is already 8 years old. Anyone with experience in adopting older Corgis have any stories?

An older corgi might be a great option for your first dog. If you're interested, you should contact the shelter and figure out if Lilly is a good fit.

Plus 8 years is by no means ancient. I believe the Pembroke lifespan is around 12-15 years, so while she's an older dog, she's probably still got quite a few good years left.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

lu lu lu posted:

I hear Miss Josie had a birthday :3:

Also, unless something terrible happens, Snaps, the husband, and I will be in Seattle for permanent on the 29th. Just in time for a parade.

More Seattle Corgi friends! Yay, we should have a Corgi-Goon Meet sometime.

This is the picture I sent to C-Myste, and Carolyn was nice enough to post on her site. It's hard to believe that Josie is a year old now. It seems like yesterday she was an awkward little pup with ears that wanted to flop.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Agent Nick posted:

We've (my girlfriend turned fiancee) been wanting to get a dog for a while now, but she wants a Pomeranian (feh!) or some sort of a hound (I think she had too much Disney as a kid) and I used to have a Husky, so I'm used to big dogs. Would a Corgi make for a great companionship dog for people who are starting a life together? Like, are they good with kids and stuff? I've seen a lot of pics here on the forums and they just seem like really friendly, really fun little best friends, and that's more or less exactly what I want right now.

Corgis are definitely friendly, and want very much to "help" their humans, but herding dogs are generally not recommended for small children. They tend to try to "herd" kids, and can get nippy. That being said, our Cardigan's breeder has a toddler, and she seemed to do great in a household with multiple Corgis (including puppies). Any dog will need to be supervised with small children, and may need some training to set boundaries.

What are your and your fiancee's schedules like? Do you have time for a dog, especially a high energy herding dog? How about your living situation? Do you guys have a house? Corgis are generally not recommended for apartments as they tend to bark at strange noises and nearby activity. Our girl is pretty protective and can be loud. She sounds like a dog three times her size when she barks at noises in the yard, or someone coming to the door.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I was thinking about the discussion of designer mutts and "hybrid vigor" when I saw this article:

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/11/05/news/mj1846079.txt

It's actually a pretty sad situation, but I wonder what you'd call the puppies... Pyrogis?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

a life less posted:

Wow. Did you check out the comment section in that link? I'm surprised at the malice aimed at the woman who's bitch it was.

Edit: After doing some digging I found the breeder's website, and there is a page dedicated to the xPyr litter. Check it out here.

Man, I hadn't looked at the comment section, but people are just vile.

I feel sorry for the breeder. She was trying to do the right thing and breed responsibly, and she and her dog got hosed over. I would absolutely sue for negligence as well. I'm glad she's got a page up for the xPyr dogs though. They turned out to be cute mutts, if a bit funny looking. ;)

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Overture posted:

All that aside I have a more specific question. I have a pretty active and all over the place lifestyle and my goal was to find a Corgi who would fit into my routine. I run/walk at least 3 - 4 times a week, I work in a very dog friendly office and want to be able to bring him to work with me, and I also get to work at home when I want. I'm back and forth between my house and my girlfriends apartment throughout the week as well and don't want to leave him overnight every single time. What I'm wondering is, will this constant moving around be good or bad for a Corgi with an active and energetic personality?

He's a cutie. I hope everything goes well with the adoption.

As for activity level and visiting new places, it will really depend on the dog. I know Josie loves it when we take her with us places. She goes to work with my husband most days, and she's really excited when she can go with us to visit friends' houses.

I would just make sure you introduce all this new stuff in a positive manner. Carry treats with you, and praise the dog for good behavior. If he starts to get overwhelmed, make sure he's got a safe place (crate) where he can go.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Corgis can be a bit obsessive about wanting everything to be well controlled and in its place. Right now your new guy is probably thinking that things are very much out of place, and he's still getting used to his new environment.

It's great that he's so attached to you though. I would just keep exposing him gradually to new animals, always praising/treating him for good behavior. Hopefully he should get the idea that you're happy when he's interacting well with others.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

amishsexpot posted:

Good morning everyone -- PI newb here...

Anachrodragon stopped by my horrific Christmas Corgi Thread and suggested I post a photo here, so here is my 4-month-old little Corgi friend:

:3:

Can anyone kindly give me some suggestions on a name for our pup?

We have a few names we are tossing around, but her first vet appointment is today and we'd like to have one by then:

- Pilar (Larry's mom from The Big Lebowski)
- Penelope (but we hate the nickname "Penny")
- Clementine (Clem for short)

Awww very cute! :)

I've always liked Welsh names for Corgis, but that's just me. The first Corgi I knew was a retired show Cardigan named Morgana. She belonged to a childhood family friend, and she was a really sweet girl who took delight in herding children. Everyone called her "Morgi Corgi".

Are you and your friend going to co-own this dog? If so, I'd suggest working some things out beforehand, like who's going to pay for unexpected vet expenses, etc... I know you said in your other thread that the dog's breeder was shady, so you (or your friend) may want to have some money set aside for future problems. Corgis are a decently healthy breed, but with a bad breeder you could be looking at hip problems or something in the future.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

lu lu lu posted:

Pets is right. Because you will never be satisfied with just the one corgi. They are like tattoos. Or potato chips. Right now we are working to build up our Oh poo poo fund, and as soon as we have that we are going to start looking for an adult corgi. Hopefully he will be a better example of the breed than this runty butt we have now :3:

I like to call it The Corgi Conspiracy. Once you get one, that one underhandedly convinces you to get another one. My husband and I are resisting for now. We have a small house and three pets already... but drat I can feel myself being tempted.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

This thread has convinced me that when I finally have my dream of a bunch of acres and a bunch of sheep, that cardigan corgis will be the dogs i have to herd them. They're natural herders, right? In that they'll take to it like ducks to water with only a bit of training?

I want one so bad now. gently caress living someplace that would be absolutely horrible for any living animal, a dog in particular.

I'm pretty sure I've seen corgis herding ducks even. ;)

Both Cardigans and Pembrokes are herding dogs, and should have the potential for herding instinct. You'd want to make sure you look for a reputable breeder who has some experience with working dogs, as I'm sure herding drive can vary by dog, a good breeder should know what to look for. You'll definitely have some research to do when the time comes.

I hope you get your acres and sheep and Cardigans some day.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Logic Lies posted:

quoted for loving truth, My wife and I started out with a Tri-colored one and now we added a red/white one that is just about a year old. Will post pics when I get home tonight.

See. Goddamned corgi mind control. :argh:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Hypothetically, how effective do you think a corgi would be at herding alpacas?

Just some research for the distant distant future.

I don't know, but then I have no experience. Do people even use herding dogs with alpacas? I think I've seen LGDs used with them for guarding, but can't recall seeing herding dogs. Maybe they react badly to dogs nipping at them.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Bewildrbeast posted:

So I'm not sure if my dog is part Corgi or not and I figured you guys may have an idea-

During a move, hence the bad paint and posters.

Thumbnail because, well, it's huge.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I love him and I'm mainly curious so I can quit telling people who ask what type of dog he is "Louisiana Pound Puppy".

He's very cute for sure. I don't know a lot about canine genetics, but I think there was an article last year stating that all short legged dogs share the same genetic mutation. I thought that was pretty interesting. I guess there are quite a few short legged breeds out there, of which Dachshunds and Corgis are probably the most common. Since of the two, Corgis have upright ears, I'd probably guess there's some Corgi there. Also Corgis can carry a recessive gene for "fluff" (extra furry coats). But really who knows what his mix is?

What's his personality like? Does he act like a herding dog?

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 7, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Bewildrbeast posted:

Oh wow, that does look a lot like him. I didn't think Corgis could have tails until I saw the Cardigans (I actually squealed out loud with "DAWWWW" when I saw 'em) so maybe he's just a really, really recessive kinda Corgi.
Awesome.

That would be really, really recessive for sure, in terms of color and fluff.

My guess is he's a mix, but it sure is looking like he's got a lot of corgi in him. Cardigans can come up white, but I think it's linked to deafness, so breeders try to steer away from the possibility.

From how you describe him, he's sure got the corgi personality though!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

The Dave posted:

So what I learned... I'm never driving to Lancaster again. It wasn't a bad drive I just don't think I can ever fully trust the area. Sorry Amish, we're different, and I'm not hating, we just don't have the same mentality. "But Dave, be more tolerant", you might say. Well on my way out my girlfriend noticed something pretty hilarious, bizarre; a PlaySkool kids slide, with a decapitated deer head laying at the top!

Now I sit around, same situation I was in before the trip, and eying up this adorable little girl:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15540191

As others have said, stay far, far away from the Amish and their puppy mills. You've really only got two decent options when looking for a purebred dog. The best option, of course, would be a rescue. Other than that, you'd want to look for reputable breeders, who are doing health/genetic testing, and breeding only infrequent litters from titled dogs. Someone already mentioned the link to the breed club website, but here it is again:

There is also the Cardigan breed club if you're interested in Cardis:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

NuclearFusi0n posted:

Crate him while you're gone until he gets older? Do corgis calm down as they age?

Yeah this. Is he crate trained? If not, this would be a good time to start. Our corgi is pretty well behaved, but I don't think I'd ever want to leave her roaming the house while we're away. There's just too much potential trouble for a bored dog to get into.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm not kidding about the hole though in the wall. A physical hole and his snout was covered with dust and plaster. It was amazing. We were gone for maybe an hour.

When Josie was a puppy she tore a big hole in our drywall. We weren't even gone, we'd just taken our attention off her for like a couple minutes, and she snuck into the other room, and then there was a huge hole in the wall. She was very proud of herself. Puppies. :argh:

Even though I doubt she'd do anything of the sort now, that's the kind of thing you don't forget, and it's one of the reasons I'm very in favor of crates.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

chrome taco posted:

That is a Pembroke, right? The big ears and all. I've just opened up a savings account especially for Corgi money :v:

Yeah, that's a Pembroke, but both Pembrokes and Cardigans have huge ears. :)

Good places to find out more about the breeds are the breed club websites here.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

amishsexpot posted:

Do any of your Corgis chew and eat sticks?

When I take mine out for a walk, she loves to lie around and chew on sticks, break them into tiny pieces, and then swallow them! This just doesn't seem to be a good thing to me. When I try to fish the pieces out of her mouth, she just frantically gulps it down. What to do?

Have you taught her "drop it" yet? That was by far the most useful command we taught our dog as a puppy. She had a habit of picking up anything and everything: including sticks, small rocks, chewed bubble gum, etc... drat short legged dogs being close to the ground. ;)

You can teach "drop it" with a toy and treats. Just say "drop it" as she drops the toy in favor of the treat. It works pretty well while playing fetch, also stops that annoying "ok I fetched it, now I'm gonna play keep away" behavior.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

The Dave posted:

It was a local thing that I took a cell pic of and cropped/collage-ed the pictures myself. Going to talk to the breeder today to try and get an idea and see if there are read flags. The snout and ears just didn't come off that Pembroke to me with what I've seen so far.

Reputable breeders don't tend to place adds for puppies at all, so I'd be very skeptical of anyone you saw placing an add in a newspaper/magazine/online/etc... It's very likely you're dealing with a BYB if not a puppy mill.

If you do decide to talk to the breeder, be sure to ask what kind of health and genetic testing was done on the parents, and whether the parents are titled and/or working dogs.

I like the ASPCAs page on responsible breeding, so I'd look that over and make sure the breeder fits every single one of their criteria:

http://www.aspca.org/fight-animal-cruelty/puppy-mills/where-we-stand-on-puppy.html

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Eff Jay posted:

Some guys end up having to have their ears taped up to help guide them and strengthen the cartilage, but I think (and will probably be wrong) that is more common with cardis?

Yeah, we went through several rounds of ear taping with Josie. It seemed to be a factor with her whole litter actually. I think they just had difficult ears or something. Her breeder says that her sister Greta had to have her ears taped periodically for six months. Josie was more off and on. Her ears started to go up, then they flopped again when she started teething, then it took a while to get them up again.

I looked through the old posts in this thread and found some pictures of the ear progression:

Baby Josie:

Click here for the full 687x599 image.

The day we brought her home:

Click here for the full 778x583 image.

Then one ear was up:

Click here for the full 583x778 image.

Then they both flopped and needed to be taped again:

Click here for the full 490x653 image.

Finally they both stayed up on their own:

Click here for the full 734x979 image.

Edit: Just wanted to add, that some pups do have ears that come up early. There was one of Josie's siblings, the smallest in the litter, that had fully erect ears at 10 weeks. That was the only one though, all the rest were late bloomers.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 4, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

angryhampster posted:

This just popped up at a local shelter:

They say he's a corgi/terrier mix, and I can definitely see it. I may have to go check him out. :) Anything in particular I should look for in a corgi mix?

I love seeing the corgi mixes. He's super cute.

As with any mix, he could have the traits from any of the breeds he's mixed with. Best thing is to go meet him, and talk to the shelter staff if you can. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you something about his personality.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

The Dave posted:

I did get her from that breeder which the information I got from a close friend who has a sister that works at our local vet. They had papers for everything, met both parents, seemed very nice, healthy and were absolutely Pembrokes; Also had vet papers for the parents.

It was the mom's first litter ever, and she certainly seemed in good health and no signs they were lying about that. I saw pretty bad puppy mill conditions and read a bunch on some nasty backyard breeders and no read flags come up, I'll certainly talk to my vet though.

The puppy is cute, and I hope she turns out to be a great dog with no major health issues. I'm glad the pup didn't come from mill-like conditions, but that doesn't mean it was a responsible breeder either. From what it sounds like, the breeder falls squarely into the category of BYB (doesn't do health/genetic testing, or care about conformation/working/titled dogs). A dog can have papers and still be a genetic mess. I guess I'm just hoping for your sake that the dog isn't a genetic mess, and that you didn't pay too much money for what amounts to a big unknown.

Anyway, I think I'm going to write up some additional information for the OP and get Londerwost to edit it. It would be good to have more information about choosing a breeder right here in this thread.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

lu lu lu posted:

I don't think Snaps ever notices when she farts, but she is always really confused when the vet messes with her butt.

On another note, look at this handsome gentleman:

Pictures courtesy of the breeder Link.

We are thinking of calling him Pip.

Holy poo poo! I looked at him on the C-Myste website a few days ago, and thought he was a really handsome pup. He and Josie are cousins (or something).

Congrats on the new baby! :3:

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 24, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Very cute. I'm a mean dog parent because I sometimes take an empty bowl and set it upside down on the floor with some pieces of kibble under it. Josie has fun frantically sliding it around the floor though.

The bubbles look like a great amusement. I'll have to invest in some too.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Awesome pictures. We need to get together again and meet your new pup.

I remember when we got Josie, she was smaller than our 16lb fat cat. I think when she grew bigger than the cat, he was kind of incredulous.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Siochain posted:

Oh gods, I've read through way too much of this thread in the last 24 hours and I'm dying of cuteness overload. The girlfriend and I are looking at adopting a Swedish Vallhund from a local rescue - I know they're not corgi's but some people have posted about them so I'm going to drop a few questions and hopefully you fine cuteness-loving folks can assist us. It's her first dog, and my first dog in about 10 years, so it will prove to be interesting!

First off: food - how much? She's a little over a year old, and fully crate trained and housebroken, so how much do I feed her and how often? 1/4 or 1/2 a cup twice a day kind of thing?

Grooming - are the Vallhunds similar to Corgi's for maintenance? Once a week brushing, once a month bathing, get a good spinning brush for the vacuum kind of thing?

And last - training. I know they warn that she's a bit of a greedy puppy, but I assume using food-reward-based training is still the way to go? My only dogs were farm dogs, who got trained on a lot of stuff but, well, outside. A good friend is currently fostering her, so she's going to let me know how her basic training is, but I'll need to go from there to keep her entertained and mentally stimulated. And can I throw into this - barking - are they like corgi's or quieter or?

Oh gods I'm too excited, and this thread has not helped! Thanks a ton in advance awesome folks!

Wow. I'm kind of surprised that a Vallhund showed up in a local rescue. Nice find!

I think there's some speculation that Pembrokes are related to Vallhunds, or maybe had a common ancestor. I'm not sure how similar they are in temperament; but my Cardigan's breeder actually co-owns a couple of Vallhunds, and I've seen her comment that they can be corgi-like. She has said her particular Vallhunds are not quite as high energy as Pembrokes, but not as mellow as her Cardigans either. Of course, individual dogs will vary, so find out about this particular dog's personality.

Dog sports like agility are great for keeping smart dogs mentally stimulated, as is continued training, as well as puzzle toys that contain food.

I know there are a couple PI goons who have Vallhunds, so hopefully they can give you more specific advice. Good luck with your pup! (Also post pictures)

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Rootbeer Baron posted:

At this point I'm ready to write emails/call a few of these breeders, but I'm unsure exactly how to proceed beyond saying "Hi my name is X and I'm interested in getting a pembroke corgi puppy from you, when will your next litter be available?" Are there more specific questions I should be asking, aside from the in depth ones involving things like registration, health questions, etc, or once I ask about a litter, will the breeder be the one with more of the questions for me in the beginning.

Do any of the breeders have a questionnaire on their site for people looking to purchase puppies? I know my breeder did when we got our Cardigan pup. If not, you could include information about yourself upfront, addressing the kinds of things they are likely to ask. Here's some of the stuff our breeder asked:

How many people in the household? What are their ages/relationships?
Apartment or house? Own or rent? Is there a yard?
Work schedule?
How often will the dog get exercise?
Where will the dog spend its days/nights?
Who will have the primary responsibility for feeding/walking?
How much experience do you have with dogs? What breeds?
Why are you interested in this breed?
Do you have other pets?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

The Dave posted:

I think every Corgi owner in this thread fears the idea of leaving their Corgi free to run around the house while no one is home and praises the luxury of crate training.

This is so very true. I know I've mentioned it before, but corgis, being herding dogs, are easily bored and will generally be looking for something to do. If you don't control their activities, they will invent a project at your expense. When Josie was a puppy, she tore a huge hole in our wall. She's (thankfully) grown out of that phase, but I still wouldn't want to leave her loose in the house unsupervised.

Crate training is awesome, and I believe the new puppy FAQ stickied at the top of PI has a lot of information about crate training. Get a crate right now! It's not too late to start, but you may have some frustration before your dog takes to the crate.

Huntsekker posted:

After cleaning up, I yelled at him and told him "NO!, BAD DOG!" and pointed my finger at him, and he bared his teeth at me repeatedly. I'm assuming this is just a fear response. We also think he may just be fear-aggresive. I have always wanted a corgi, and I'm finding that so far it's just been a nightmare.

You really need to start the Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF) training method, and you need to start it right away. He doesn't understand "NO!, BAD DOG!". He just understands that you're angry and threatening, and he's probably reacting to that.

NILIF is good because it's based on positive reinforcement. The gist is that the dog does something for you, before you give the dog what it wants. So anything at all... It's dinner time? Have him do a trick, or sit, or whatever before you give him his food. He wants on the couch? Have him do something. He'll begin to understand that the way he gets stuff he wants, is by doing what you want.

Also, it sounds like you and your wife should take him to a basic obedience class. Make sure it's one that is based on positive training methods. You'll both need to be on board with the training, because it sounds like right now he is playing favorites with you guys a bit. So learn to be consistent in your approach.

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 27, 2010

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

GidgetNomates posted:

Hey guys, I've been lurking around reading Pet Island for months now but I finally decided I wanted to join in because I'm hoping to get a new pup in the next couple of months and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions (and hopefully pictures) to share. Does anyone know any reputable breeders in/near Kentucky? I've checked out the ones on the PWCCA and CWCCA sites and emailed them, but this is the first time I've had to actively get a dog so I want to do it right. The dogs I've had throughout my life were either given to my family, from a shelter or taken in as strays so I've not had to go through the whole looking-for-a-breeder process. I've read a lot around here like the puppy FAQ so I have a little of an idea, but I've only found a handful of breeders in my area online and until they email me back I have no real info on them. Any suggestions? Especially if anyone has first-hand experience with corgi breeders in my area.

I'm not familiar with Kentucky at all, but RurouNNy actually posted a great link from a reputable breeder addressing the "how do I contact a breeder? and what do I say?" issue. Check this out:

http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/?p=3448

I think I might convince Londerwost to add this to the OP, because this question comes up a lot.

Good luck with your hunting for a breeder. You might also look into nearby rescues and shelters too.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

paddiep posted:

I LOVE this one..

Yeah, I told them that I would wind up with 1000 pictures of butts, and only like one or two good shots... maybe...

Also, I think Pip is growing up to be a very distinguished and handsome fellow. I love this picture:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

GidgetNomates posted:

Thanks, that's a really good site! Most of the breeders from those PWCCA and CWCCA sites don't have pups, though I did find one that will have some at the end of the summer. So, if I don't find another, then there's a good chance I can go get a Cardigan pup from them. I asked for a little more information yesterday, but this site is a lot more helpful in what I should say and expect. I'm a bit worried about the thing saying some breeders won't sell you pups if you don't have a fenced in yard--I'll be living in an apartment, but I'll definitely have plenty time set aside for exercising the dog outside (especially since I tend to go walking by myself outside already). Is this going to severely hurt my chances, or is this just some breeders and not others?

By the way, I did look into local shelters and rescues, but I didn't come up with too much unfortunately. I did find one Corgi/German Shepherd mix in Tennessee, and if he's still around when I'm absolutely ready to get my dog I would take him in a heartbeat, but I sort of expect he'll be taken by then.

Have you considered getting an adult dog that's proven to be well behaved for an apartment environment? I'd be concerned about puppies in apartments in general, because they're little, rambunctious, sometimes destructive brats that can drive you insane, let alone your neighbors. I'd also be concerned about corgis in particular because they can be so busy looking for something to do, and can also be quite loud if they think something in their home is amiss.

It might take you a while to find the right dog, but I think you might be better off looking for a more mellow adult dog from a rescue or shelter.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

C-Euro posted:

My girlfriend (and I too I guess, we're living apart right now) just got a tri-color Pembroke named Butters, and for the first few days she's had him he's been awesome; I'm visiting them this weekend. A couple of questions-

I notice that his belly gets pretty big when he eats, and the breeder told my girlfriend to make sure he doesn't get too fat but he eats a ton when it's time to eat. Is this just because he's growing or should she cut back on his feeding (4, sometimes 3 times a day)?

Related to that last question, when do they start to really grow in size? Apparently he was much smaller than his two sisters when my girlfriend picked him up, though we saw him when he was six weeks old (he'll be eight on Monday) and they were all about the same size.

Contrary to the OP, Butters has only really barked either when we play rowdy with him or when he's in his crate. Does a Corgi's herding instinct kick in after they grow up a little more or did we luck out and get a really chill dog? He didn't do any barking when I came to visit or when we took him to the pet store.

Related to maturing, Butters likes to nip at just about everything in sight (limbs, blinds, hair if he can get it). Is he just teething or is does he run the risk of actually biting people with some force when he grows up?

Also pictures will come when I get back home and get them off my phone, he was a huge hit at the pet store today :3:

Conventional wisdom around here says that you shouldn't be afraid to feed a puppy a lot, as they're growing and they need it. However, you may want to cut back the portion size if his belly looks swollen after eating. Also, I don't know what you're feeding him, but check the nutrition thread for advice on high quality food.

Also, have you had your vet check him out yet? You should probably get an opinion regarding his growth from your vet. Also, I should mention that it's really important to get several rounds of puppy shots before you take the pup out to places other dogs frequent (pet store). Parvo is a nasty disease and there have been several threads here on PI from people who have lost puppies to it.

Regarding barking and herding instinct, I don't have much experience with Pembrokes, but my Cardigan was herding the cats the day we brought her home (10 weeks). I think she was a little older (maybe 5-6 months) when she started getting protective of our home and yard, and barking/growling when she heard strange sounds.

All puppies bite, and corgis in particular tend to be really nippy (it's probably a herding instinct thing). It's up to you to redirect the biting into more appropriate behavior, so you have a well mannered dog later on. There's a lot of advice on dealing with biting in the new puppy thread.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Wonder Bra posted:

So it looks like those three pups are the ones that aren't spoken for in this litter. I'm going to visit them on the 10th or 11th... and the question is, who will it be, and what shall we call him?!?

Ask the breeder about their personalities and base your decision on that. All puppies are adorable, but you ultimately want a dog who's compatible with you.

I say this as my corgi is sitting on my feet, chewing on a cow ear. Her breeder was spot on when she described her personality to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Haha, what a funky looking dog. He looks like quite the character. I can't imagine what a Pem/Chi would be like.

Also, Wonder Bra your pictures are gorgeous.

• Locked thread