Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
My God! This thread is awesome. I said bye to my dog at home only 3 hours ago, but I wish I was there. Poor Ein (yes I named my dog Ein like every loving nerd here).

Any tips on how to get her to stop barking so much? She barks at any noise. She seems to be CONSTANTLY on patrol. While it is touching that her instincts make her try to protect us, it gets annoying.
It is also manifested in that she will go ape whenever we leave. She knows not to nip me, but she hasn't learned that against my wife. She knows she can get hurt because I can accidentally kick her when leaving. I am worried because she could hurt a child or toddler in addition to it presently pissing off my wife.

I considered lemon sprays for the bark control. For me leaving the house, it seems that just standing at the door for many minutes does not slow her antics. I may hold my position by the door for a while and she will stop spinning and running, but immediately go again the moment I move again toward leaving.
Advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!

anachrodragon posted:

Actually, you might be the only loving nerd in this thread with a corgi named Ein. Or perhaps there are others who are afraid to admit it. ;)

Sorry about the barking, but corgis do bark. Our Cardigan girl doesn't bark incessantly, but she does bark when she hears strange noises, or the neighbors, or an animal outside, or if she's just feeling protective... you get the idea. So we usually let her bark once or twice and then try to cut it off with a stern "Enough!" If she doesn't stop then, we'll put her in her crate and ignore her for about ten minutes. She knows she doesn't get any attention for barking in her crate so she typically stops.

As for nipping your wife, I hate to say it, but she may be trying to herd your wife. Your wife may need to assert herself and let the dog know that she is not cattle, she is in fact a pack member who is higher rank than the dog. Look into NILF (Nothing in Life is Free), and have your wife make the dog work for everything she wants. This can help to resolve her going ape when you're leaving as well. Let the dog know that she needs to "sit" and "stay" before you'll give her that attention she wants.

Edit: Also going to add, corgis are working dogs and they very much want something to do. A bored corgi will find something to do at your expense, so it's in your best interest to give her activities and tire her out. Treat toys are very popular here, as they give them a project and make them work for their food.

Thanks for the advice. I will talk to my wife. NILF. Sounds interesting.

I have wanted to take her to a herding club where the dogs can enjoy some herding on some other smaller animals like chickens or sheep (i think). Unfortunately, they want a lot of be member of an expensive club.
What kind of treat toys do you recommend? I never tried the red bell with peanut butter inside (the one treat toy I am most familiar with) but I never have thought she would enjoy such a toy.

• Locked thread