Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So this past Monday I got a call from my friend telling me he found a stray Corgi and he wanted to know if I wanted him. Of course I did so now I got my own little one named Count:

Being a stray and all I got him squared away and vaccinated. He does have a black mass on his back that the vet said is fine for now it can be removed with no issue whenever I want (planning for sometime next month). He has a bit of hookworm that's being cared for right now with medication and he also may have an allergy which is also being worked on.

Overall he's fine but I have a question concerning his usual demeanor. The only other dog we have in the house right now is a 14 yr old Labrador. He's calm and chill now and I take that as being older and things like that so he's cool. But with Count I've always assumed Corgis are a more wild, active bunch. He isn't though, Count doesn't bark, he doesn't really run around much, and he just prefers to sleep for right now.

The vet did mention she was surprised at how calm and good with people he was. According to her Counts about 2-3 maybe. I'm not exactly worried about it and if I lucked out with a super chill Corg that's great but I'm just really curious.

My only guesses are maybe it's something with the previous diet he had or heck maybe I'm not doing enough to excite him? I'm new with Corgis so I just want to do right by him however I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That's actually really good to know. I plan on taking him to some dog parks and of course he's getting his walks in but I just wanted to be sure there isn't anything wrong there.

He's a good boy just also the sleepiest boy as well.

Got another question. Corgi farts, these are no joke. I've heard plain yogurt could help? Anything else to maybe clear that up?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

A.s.P. posted:

Congrats on your new friend! Count is adorable!

My corgi is definitely the non-stop energy type, but I've met others that are more a dog of leisure, just chilling all day.

Dog farts - what kind of food do you give Count? Mine had bad poops and farts til I switched to grain free. I give her Taste of the Wild and some canned food mixed in.

Right now I'm feeding him Blue Buffalo. I've heard of another brand, Natural Balance, that I wanted to ask his vet about. Really just want to get a good diet going in, since he was a stray I can't imagine what he's been eating.

He must have run away from somewhere because he's already neutered and he's housebroken. I don't question it but it definitely helps the process since that was all done in advance.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

A.s.P. posted:

Do you give Count any treats? If I take my dog off her usual food and treats routine that could cause some feisty toots too.

The idea of a corgi running away from home and being lost makes me so sad. Glad he's safe now. I'm going to hug my little one now. :kiddo:

I do actually give him some treats. Mostly when he takes his medications. Especially the one that requires me to Inject it by mouth.

Here's another Count pic :3:

He's a real good boy. He follows me all over the house and it's the best. Our Labrador has been tolerating him. As long as Count doesn't get in his face he won't try to bite him. It's not like Counts trying to be mean or fight he's just trying to get to know you Max.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Along these lines, I'm thinking it might just be Count getting used to being on new food. I doubt he just happened to be eating the same food he's on now while he was a stray.

...also, this is why people need to microchip their pets.

Funny thing about a microchip. Count actually has one but it isn't registered to anyone, the only thing we know is that the chip is from Oklahoma or something.

Also yeah I think it's that he's eating regular food on a normalish diet now. Speaking of which Count is we're guessing 2-3 years old and weighs 30 pounds. What's the usual amount of food a Corgi should eat?Also, (I'm guessing) that at 30 pounds he's a bit overweight??

I've got a lot of questions written down for the vet next visit.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 17, 2017

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Count had his second vet visit today. Overall he's doing great! His skin issues have gotten a lot better and the hair he was missing has grown back fine.

Vet has recommended some Benadryl to help with potential allergies and as far as flea prevention and things I got him one pill of Comfortis. The vet has recommended Nexgard but for the years supply I would like it's about $200 (hoping to grab that next month)

Anyways he's good. He's gained 2 pounds since the first visit so he's 32 lbs now. All in all he's enjoying himself and I'm glad he's in a happy home now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seems like Count may have an allergy to something. He's been really itchy a lot lately and the Benadryl hasn't done much of anything to help so the vets put him on Apoquel to help. In addition to that we're going to move him from eating chicken to now eating fish/sweet potato.

He's going to start the meds tonight. Got a good feeling about it.

Edit: Had 3 people at the Pet Supermarket ask Count if he ran away from the Queen so I guess that's going to be a thing now. I wasn't ready for it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Count loves car rides. He's good. He rules.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pepper was a good dog.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corgis are so good.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I've got a question concerning food. How much typically are you serving your Corgs and how many times a day usually?

We kinda messed it up with Count a bit in the beginning and gave him more than he should be eating which made him gain some pounds. Since then he has gone down and yes the vet did mention that he shouldn't be eating that much period.

Before I was doing like a cup a day, split between two bowls a day. I'm still not even sure what's right tbh. I'm used to having larger dogs so I suppose that's why I didn't do this the right way. Anyways my concern is that now on smaller portions Counts just always hungry and he's eating grass and sometimes poop. Our other dog used to eat grass and stuff but he was never underfed or anything. He's a lab he was always hungry no matter what. I just want to be sure that's the case here and I'm not doing something wrong with Count.

I'm going to bring it up to the vet but my I just wanted to hear something from other owners. I just want to do right by Count ultimately.

In better news, his itching has significantly decreased since we introduced fish oil into his diet.

Bonus photos of Count. He was chilling on the passenger side seat but sometimes he just figured being on he floor is best.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lmao thanks y'all it's appreciated.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I wish Count would eat a little bit slower, he eats like he's still a stray or something.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Count is super quiet and only barks when we play around with him. I think he might be 7 or 8?? No idea, he was a stray but he's super chill. He rules.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

That's from Saturday morning, he wasn't able to stand by the end of that day and laid by me on the couch until he stopped breathing the next morning.

I’m sorry for your loss. He seems like such a good boy.

• Locked thread