Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Spaceman posted:

Oh man your dog is adorable! I love her name too.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that more of a rare coloring? Most of the Pembrokes I see are usually solid orange/white. Every once in a while though, I will see a Corgi with a dark brown "cape." Those are my favorite. :3:
There are bi and tri-color corgis, however I believe the terminology for their back fur is "saddle" or "faerie saddle," and not "cape." In some children's books or myths, they are used as mounts by good faeries, iirc.

My family got a pembroke with different-colored eyes when I was a little kid, she was the sweetest dog, you never had to punish her because a dirty look would send her hiding under the bed. Both sides of my family have people who went out and bought corgis (they all failed and have lousy dogs for the most part, but that's another story,) I think both sides've had 6 or 7 corgis total now.

I would totally get another corgi in a heartbeat and I've been interested in getting another dog as my job allows people to bring pets to work (two people have pembrokes! :3: although one of those people have moved on,) and the vallhunds interest me a great deal.. I'll probably lurk for a while and come back with questions eventually, but right now my main question is about stamina.. Currently I walk/bike to work (a couple mile urban distance, along bike trails etc) and I was concerned about how hard this would be on a dog like a corgi. We always lived in the country and Ellie (our Pembroke) was an extremely active dog, but she didn't spend a lot of time on pavement or concrete and I'm a bit concerned about how hard it would be on a short-legged dog to do a couple mile walk. I could always get a bike trailer or use the car but I do enjoy walking.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

elf pr0n posted:

Dear corgi owners:

What is your best method of removing all of that lovely hair they shed?
A thick-coat brush and lots of brushing, or one of those weird-looking grooming gloves.

My family just gave our corgi a buzzcut every year, and it dealt with most of her shedding and she LOVED it. The only thing to be careful of is if they go swimming or fall asleep upside-down in the yard after a buzzcut, their bellies can get sunburnt.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scrotos posted:

So I just bought a house and have always wanted a Pembroke welsh corgi, but I have 3 cats and was wondering if you guys could tell me if you thought 3 cats and a lovely corgi could get along?

I know that it would mostly be based around introductions and all that, but was wondering if anyone here has cats and a corgi or thinks that the corgi would just try to heard the cats all day and they would never get along.

I have already been talking for a year or so with one breeder, but am probably going to end up trying to rescue a Pembroke welsh corgi instead.
If you got a puppy the cats MIGHT not have much of a problem with it, but adult cats are their own people, and if they really don't like dogs, they'll never like yours - they'll just teach her to stay the gently caress away from their claws.

My family's corgi grew up with a cat and they were best friends, however later in life the cat got hit and died, and our dog always considered every cat to be her best friend, so she'd often go tearing off after a random cat, and get swiped. I was always worried they'd gouge her in the eye but mostly her nose got clawed up.

I do not think a rescue dog is a good idea for a cat with 3 houses, you're begging for a disaster of epic proportions. There is no way you'll know how your cats will react to a dog, or how a potentially abused dog will react to the cats, or the utter chaos that may happen as soon as you bring it through the front door.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 9, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So it's actually part of standard procedure to acclimatize a dog to cats, after they've been rescued and while they're still in the foster home?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

White1ce posted:

Has anyone ever shaved their corgi before?
Yes, my family had ours shaved every summer, she had a very long heavy coat and she was miserable in the hot weather where we lived. She could get a sunburn if she went swimming too early afterward since her belly was pretty much bare, but she was obviously much more comfortable after she got over being offended at the groomer and us. She spent most of her time outside in the daytime, rather than indoors with A/C.

She was also a pembroke, so she didn't look totally odd like that cardigan in the pics above.

Edit: I notice that every person who posted a negative accont of their dog being shaved, also did it during a period of distress for the dog. Ours went to the groomer for a butch every year after she was a couple/few years old.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 15, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

anachrodragon posted:

My husband is fond of saying that all corgis practice mind control to convince you to get more corgis.
I had a corgi growing up, and by the time she was 10, my extended family had 8 corgis between us all. Unfortunately not a single one of them was well trained so they were all insufferable little shits. My corgi, Ellie, was awesome, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
They should make retractable leaches with those fighting kite strings, so the dogs on them :ese: the poo poo out of their owners.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 16, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Dave posted:

But you can see it when she gets super excited she has a desire to use her teeth. When she sprints she sometimes takes shots at our ankles and nibbbles hands. Very lightly to us, but probably not a kid.
Yeah this. My corgi I had growing up loved to nip at ankles, I believe that it's a semi-instinctive herding trait. I've never known a corgi (that wasn't super well trained) who wouldn't jump at the chance to nip the hells of a child when playing chase with them. My corgi was also known to nip at kids who'd try and crawl into her crate when she was tired and cranky, and we didn't let people's toddlers play with her because she could be a right little bitch when she lost patience.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

iSuck posted:

I want to get like 10 of these and sleep in a Corgi puppy pile. :3: Unfortunately, my landlord only allows cats.
Corgis aren't as soft as they look - it'd be more like laying down on a bed made of hams.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Eponine posted:

My parents don't have air-conditioning in the house, so in the summer it can get up in the 90s. The dogs are 5 years old now and the first few summers we didn't shave the fluffy and she wouldn't move from behind the toilet in the bathroom unless it was to eat or go outside to pee. We live by a few lakes so we'd dunk her in every once in awhile, but lakewater + long hair = horrible smelling dogs.

Once we started clipping her regularly in the summer, she started to want to go outside and play and be active. She usually goes about a month between clippings in the summer and then once September hits we let it grow out and she's back to the long hair by about mid-October.

The vet recommended that we get her groomed in the first place and we don't like...wax her, so there's still short little hairs protecting her skin. We just like having happy corgis that play outside.
When I was a kid we had a really fluffy corgi like the one pictured above, and we would regularly give her a buzz-cut in the summer, she LOVED it. Also my mm would shave her belly to like 1/8" (it really helped reduce flea infestations since we lived in the country), but if the dog laid on her back in the sun too often she'd get a pretty gnarly sunburn on her tummy.

gogogiraffes posted:

Getting married in 2 weeks. Gizmo is in our wedding, here's his bowtie to match the guys ties.

Haha, awesome! When my brother got married, my mother had our pembroke sit on a chair next to her, in the front row for the entire ceremony.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 16, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I moved into a house on Halloween last year and after having a dog in the place for 6 months or so, I made up my mind to get a dog of my own sometime in the near future, and was curious if anyone might recommend a breeder (preferably pembroke, since I grew up with one) in the PNW, Oregon preferably. My cousin's dog would be pumped to have a housemate (he gets separation anxiety from his owner and we're hoping a second dog would help mellow that out some) and I could bring my dog to work, even as a puppy.

Crasscrab posted:

Spinning bowtie on a corgi would be amazing. :ohdear: Must invent spinning bowtie collar for dogs!
How much would you pay for one before shipping? :science:

edit: Bo-bo, my cousin's dog.

:smugdog::pipe:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 17, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was poking around online looking at corgi rescues and local breeders, and stumbled across this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MXU4d2w5VI

:3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

abaddonis posted:

I know it isn't really related to your question, but why does every Corgi breeder's website look the same?
At least it doesn't have one of those ridiculous "Over the Rainbow Bridge" areas for their dead dogs. She does have a memorial section, but I'm not getting a :catdrugs: vibe at least. :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you go to the breeder's place and there are stuffed dogs and cats on the mantle, run.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Crasscrab posted:

Combine corgis with everything! :woop:

Found a cool BuzzFeed picture list of corgi hybrids.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/awesome-corgi-cross-breeds
I don't mean to mark on anyone's territory, but this corgi mix link has been rehashed a few times, and the last time I recall someone posted one of these top X corgi pictures lists, one of the dogs belonged to a goon in this thread, and had been taken and used in some for-profit blog post without anybody's consent or knowledge. I recognize at least 80% or more of those pictures as coming from previous posts on exactly the same stuff, and sometimes the "mixes" they claim are total bull as well, with no source to check.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm looking at a corgi breeder's site and sent them an email inquiry about their litter waiting list, but in the meantime would anyone care to weigh in on this breeder's website? They seem pretty legit compared to a couple of the places I've checked out or contacted, and was wondering if someone in here might be familiar with them, thanks! :D

http://winterflowercorgis.com/

Also, another breeder I contacted offered a "1-year health guarantee," and that struck me as a huge red flag since in my personal experience, pets I've had or which were owned by friends and family, seemed to rarely exhibit any serious symptoms in their first year.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RurouNNy posted:

My Cardigan has never needed a butt wipe after pooping. Not sure why you would think they would have issues any more than a Pembroke (genuinely curious :) )? My collie mix has longer pants fur (we call them rear end curtains) and he will on occasion get some on the longer parts since they drag on the ground when he squats, so I am thinking this may be the case with fluff Corgis as well??
The only time my corgi ever "needed her skirt cleaned," was when she was sick and/or had been eating something she shouldn't have. If the feces is a healthy consistency it shouldn't be wet or sticky enough to leave anything "behind" :butt:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Golden-i posted:

We had a bit of discussion a number of pages back, and honestly I have no idea what he's mixed with. I'm not well versed in dog breeds, though. Whatever he is, I like it.

We've got a wedding tonight and he's going in the dapper tie I posted before, hopefully I'll get some pictures of him living it up at the reception!
My guess would be jack russell, with those thin legs and that muzzle.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was browsing around shelters around my state yesterday, last night and came across this absurdly cute guy Pit/Corgi:

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet7666416.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
He's pretty cool. I have been looking for a dog again for a couple weeks, and just heard from C-Myste that they're expecting a litter in a couple weeks, so I'm holding off on adopting a dog until I know whether I have a potential corgi puppy. If not, there are a couple of dogs I'd adopt in a heartbeat, and one that I am on the fence about, even when compared to a puddle of tub like a corgi pup.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wonder Bra posted:

Here's Corwin being humiliated. I've seriously contemplated making a Road Runner costume so he could be Wile E. Coyote and chase me while I went "meep, meep!" but... :effort:
He looks like a rocket!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

amishsexpot posted:

Does anyone bike around with their corgi? I'd really like to get some kind of backpack or frontpack carrier for Beanie so I can carry her while I bike around Brooklyn. Any suggestions? She's about 20-22 pounds...

Some recent photos:

After Hurricane Sandy.

Snoozing.
An extra-long milk crate, with some padding on the bottom? THe main thing is trusting that your dog won't leap out - my corgi jumped out of the back of a truck and chipped something in her shoulder, and was a bit gimpy afterward.

Or a single-child-sized bike trailer/jogging stroller. My dog loves riding in mine.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Gotta keep those feet against the wall to reach escape velocity most efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
My parents were throwing out old photos. This one of our old corgi, Ellie, was too great to let go though. I was still dressed up in my costume from high school Spirit Week (and high on painkillers from a knee surgery).

• Locked thread