Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

Blond/white isn't one of their coat colors. There are red/whites (which can range in the reds... your "blonds" are actually reds), tri colors, and sables.

Cardigans come in red/white, black/white, merle, sable, and brindle.

I was reading on the AKC website, and there is a color called Fawn, which is a red that appears to be washed out. So that could be the blond that is being referred to.

Anyway.. here's some of mine, This was Gizmo's first visit to the dog park, his friend is a chihuahua/corgi mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Eff Jay posted:

Giz is a tank! I just want to steal him! That mix is really cool looking too. Corgis always make a fun dog to see mixed with some others :D

I thought he was tiny! He's about 20 pounds and almost 7 months! I want a dorgi (dachshund x corgi) like the queen has. I think that would be so funny to see.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 25, 2009

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I dunno though, he is pretty just solid. I almost got his brother who was a few pounds more than him (but he pee'd on me so no). But his dad is almost too big to show sometimes, so I think that might that coming out.

I just can't wait for his chest to grow in. I think he'll be huge then.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 25, 2009

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo got a new toy, that he's scared of.. It has a sound chip in it, that moo's. As long as it doesn't moo, he's okay with it.

We had a corgi meet up at the dog park

Gizmo discovered how to pose

And this is a puppy that we know. She's a fluffy Pembroke

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

abaddonis posted:

I know most of you aren't in the area, but I figured that any word that gets out is better than no word.

A close friend of our breeder had 2 red/white pembroke corgi puppies stolen from the pen in their backyard this weekend. She said they were stolen between 2 and 3pm on Saturday while they were out running errands. She asked us if we could get the word out. The puppies were stolen from Kinsale, Virginia (eastern Virginia). Whomever stole them will most likely try to move them somewhere else where they can sell them, so if you're anywhere in Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, keep on the look out. If you find them, contact local authorities and the breeder. Her information is at the following site.

http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm

I believe the 2 stolen are the two in the bottom 2 pictures up at the top.

The puppies in those pictures, 2 little girls, were stolen. That is right. I have the flyer our breeder sent us. She said that they'd probably go to Richmond, Fredericksburg, or NOVA. I've got flyers up with our phone number as well. Poor little girls need their final shots and worming.

Just curious, what part of VA are you from that you know about this too?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

abaddonis posted:

Yeah, I assume she'll grow a little more in the next few months, she's only 10 months old. I'm just a little paranoid. I used to worry all the time about her hips, but it looks like she is fine. She only "bunny hops" when she is running and she has no pain, limp, problem jumping up onto furniture. I know I'm not a vet and those aren't the only signs, but I'm under the impression those are the big tell-tales of hip dysplasia.

University of Penn - Vet School is doing a study on hips. I'm not quite sure all of the qualifications that you need to have. I think the age is 4 though. And they do x-rays of the corgi's hips. They're only looking for Pem's though.

Funny, we were just up in NOVA for a small corgi meetup. The lady we met up with lives a few minutes from Duke Street.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

anachrodragon posted:

This stuff is terrible. Read the list of ingredients on the bag of Beneful, then please take a look at the pet nutrition megathread and compare. A lot of dogs have allergies to grain/corn so switching to a high quality food may improve the condition you're seeing.

That's what I was thinking, maybe hotspots that have healed up. Gizmo got them from Wellness Core. To much protein we think.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Here's a video I found on youtube of "Truman, breakin the law" It's quite cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Edit2: Also today I bought Ace his first bag of big boy food! He'll be a year old around when I estimate his last bag of puppy food is done with, so I bought out Petco's supply of wellness core to transition to (they very rarely have it in and I'd prefer core to the super 5 mix, though super 5 mix is pretty good too.)

Be careful with the core, Gizmo was on core, and the protein was way WAY to much in him. It's like doubled than the super 5 mix. He got hotspots and everything and that was the only thing that changed.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

More corgis, yes? Zeke is a superstar swimmer!

We also just found out that one of his molars has a bad slab fracture and will need to come out next week. Poor dude :(

I love the blue merle corgis and want one to add with Gizmo.

How long did you have to search for yours?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

lu lu lu posted:

Halloween Pictures

I am stupid and forgot my camera, but other people had theirs.

We should definitely have a Seattle area Corgoon get together sometime.

Which one of these dogs are yours? I know a few people off of a different forum. Quidditch & Fiona to be exact.

I love the bunch of bananas though.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Danny is really excited about this hat..

Click here for the full 637x640 image.

But not this one...

Click here for the full 640x538 image.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

he1ixx posted:

make sure you put some money away for emergencies!

we are keeping a spreadsheet (NERDS) on googledocs to keep track of expenses like food, leashes, toys, crate, treats, etc. and its remarkable how fast it all adds up. Then there's the vet bills for shots, well check-ups, the unavoidable sick pup visits, getting the dog fixed, microchipped, etc etc.

I like the spread sheet idea, I might fall over and die if I ended seeing how much I've spent on Gizmo... He had lots of tummy issues (Giardia ALOT) and then he's allergic to everything under the sun except tobacco and feathers.

If you're worried about the cost of microchip and fixing. Check with your local SPCA. Ours offers microchipping clinics for 10$ and getting your dog fixed, plus a year of flea and tick meds was like 50 bucks for me. A lot cheaper being a student.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Oh my goodness. Makes me want to get number two! Please, keep posting pictures. She's sooo sweet!

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo LOVES sleeping under chairs, and with his neck turned 90 degrees the wrong way. Also the sleeping on the back thing..

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I've never gotten in an argument but I have gotten many a times, "Is he a Pembroke or a Welsh?" and I politely respond, "Well he's a Pembroke Welsh Corgi" and they almost always get, "Oh.. He's a mix." and that cues the whole breed difference.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Never to late to learn. I'd love Gizmo to not be food motivated.

How long has she been in with you? She might just be a lazy one, Gizmo doesn't get holy poo poo moments to much, and he'll be 3 in August.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Wonder Bra posted:

Corwin's first birthday is coming up and I want to make him a dog cake. How can I do this thing for him? He gets more awesome every day, but drat does he talk a lot. He also can run really fast and jump like a maniac off two legs for his ball. His quads are freaking ripped. He is also HUGENORMOUS. I weighed him today: 31 lbs and ain't no fat on him. More pics forthcoming!

Though not cake, we make frosty paws. Vanilla yogurt, bananas, peanut butter and honey. Blend them up. Freeze them in whatever you like. I know people who use ice cube trays, pop em out as a small treat. We use Tupperware. The recipe I got this from said use Dixie cups, then you just rip em off before you give them to the baby.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

I'm dyin here. I think I need to get puppy #2 now..

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone here going to the Middleburg Corgi Corps parade? Gizmo will be there!

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo's happy weight is right around 29-31 pounds.

An he dreams outloud too. Often. When I'm on my computer and not my phone, I'll have to put the video of it up.

Gizmo has this habit of crying with his bone or bully stick. His doing this as we speak. He likes to bury them. And by bury, he pushes the blanket around and attempts to bury it.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Plus_Infinity posted:

When did your dogs stop gaining weight? Orbit is 8 months and was 26lbs last time we weighed him about a month and a half ago. He's definitely a little heavier now and is toning up but not really getting very broad like I see some corgis. My guess is he will gain a little more but I don't if it'll get to be 38lbs like some cardigan males! I just want him to have one of those rolypoly barrel chests :3

Gizmo's chest dropped and spread when he was about 2. I'd say he was done growing at that point.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Plus_Infinity posted:

I would love to do this with orbit but there isn't anywhere close that I know of. We were doing agility and I had the same experiences- he got a lot of it naturally and it was me who had to train ! We ended up quitting the class though because it was too crazy- 16 other dogs and orbit was so overwhelmed and not having fun which is a shame because the first class we went to he loooooved. Too bad we live too far away now to keep going there.

Have you thought about making your own equipment?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Break Fast posted:

The babbling aside, what are your ways to trick your sweet friend to eat them pills w/o spitting them. I'm guessing mixing it with something he likes to eat would be good, but is there any other ways you find to work?

When we give gizmo his, I hold his mouth open and put it as far as possible down there, and then hold his mouth closed and massage his throat. We've had to give Gizmo lost of pills. We just got off 6 weeks of Tramadol and Rimadil (spelling on both) for a slipped disk..

Peanutbutter works too... Also, Greenies make pill pockets.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Break Fast posted:

Just wanted to share something.

Last couple of days Guinness has been on home regime since he's sick and it's very cold outside. I have been taking him out about 5 times a day for about 30 seconds at a time to a toilet sort of speak.

Preaching to the choir here. Gizmo slipped a disk in his back, and was on crate rest for EIGHT WEEKS. EIGHT WEEKS he could not go outside, or be outside of his crate.... I died.

We played which hands the green bean in. I also put some tennis balls in a muffin tin with kibble underneath of the balls, and let him play with that. Kongs, life saver. And Tramdol. Gizmo is lazy to begin with, he doesn't like walks, he will, but he doesn't beg for them.

That was a hellish 8 weeks. The SECOND he got cleared, we put his new harness (has metal boning in it so he can't jump or twist it weird). And we went for a 3 block walk. He came home slept for hours.

Just remember, training is very mentally draining for them. So even 15-20 minutes of training will wear them out some.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Here's Gizmo in his harness/vest thing.

But, when we walked in him in regular ones, I used this one.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Break Fast posted:

Oh. My. God. I just want to mess with his mouth so bad. When Gizmo is asleep real hard, we mess with his lips, roll them up. I'll have to get a picture next time.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

RurouNNy posted:

So, I had always heard that corgis have a tendency to sleep on feet and I always thought this was exaggerated or something. However, Corra sleeps on my feet pretty regularly (especially when I am cooking in the kitchen :3:) Is it a super common trait? In Cardigans and Pembrokes? Here's Corra snuggling on my sister's feet:

Gizmo sits on feet, lays on feet, stands on feet, anything to do with our feet.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Getting married in 2 weeks. Gizmo is in our wedding, here's his bowtie to match the guys ties.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Gizmo has been shaved for various medical reasons, being fixed, allergy testing, and our most recent saga. Being bit by a brown recluse spider. And everytime they've done it, a little part of me dies. His coat has luckily come back okay. His allergy testing (side was shaved) took almost 6 months before I couldn't notice is. His back where he was bit by the spider, took almost a year. It'll be a year the first week of July, and I swear I still see where it was.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Just a picture of Gizmo from our wedding. We only had him there for pictures and then took him home. He was pretty stressed.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Kerafyrm posted:

Video about the doll

Gizmo was extremely interested in whatever Nova was saying about the doll.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

macky2dope posted:

Ohshit Mugsy

Holy poo poo. I love Mugsy. :3:

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Goyder posted:

Thanks - appreciate the advice.

What do you guys recommend to housetrain / teach the dog to go in a specefied spot? I've heard mixed things about pee pads and what not.

I got Gizmo at 12 weeks old. I can count on my hand (other than infections) when he's peed in the house.

I crated him ALWAYS when I was gone. He's not crated now, he'll be 4 in August. He doesn't even know what a peepad in. My husbands mom put her dog in the bathroom with a peepad. And the dog ate his own poo. Had terrible separation anxiety. Granted he was a doxie, puppy mill pup.

Can you get a dog walker? It's summer, is there a neighborhood kid who wants to make a bit of money? They can come over let him out at lunch, and clean up whatever has happened inside?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

Now I want a Corgi/Daschund or Corgi/German Shepard mix

My first dog was a corgi/Shepard mix. She was the size of a corgi, had the coloring of a Shepard. Coolest. Dog. Ever.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

My sister tells me Pinterest has added a Corgis category. It was you guys, wasn't it.

:colbert:

I've had 4 or 5 people message me and say, every time I see this, I think of you.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Closet Nerd posted:

A corgi category? What, I don't see that, is it like a sub category under pets?

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

The Dave posted:

gogogiraffes is that from your phone? Because I thought that was a photoshop.

That's the one my friend posted on my Facebook page. But yes, looks like the Pinterest iPhone app. My cousin had it on her computer also.

Edit- I don't see it on mine (I don't use Pinterest that much) maybe they're rolling it out slowly?

Edit again - the new categories were rolled out on the 19th, then they took the corgi category away on the 23rd.

gogogiraffes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 24, 2012

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Miss Indy posted:

Sorry for the double post, but thought you guys would dig this... Bailey's breeder has a brand new litter of Pembrokes! They were born early yesterday. Here's the Ustream- http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tasha-s-puppies

Apparently, Tasha is Bailey's sister's daughter.. so Bailey is the uncle to mom, and great uncle to the babies! Hah!

What times will it be online? (it's midnight almost, been up since 7am with little sleep so forgive me if it says)

I can't wait until I move to a house so I can finally have my cardi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

My baby is about to turn 4. Where did the time go?

This is the day we brought him home, he was 12 weeks and 9 pounds.

And here he is, 4 years old, and 30 pounds.

• Locked thread