Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Surgery went well. Now it's 8 weeks of recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

MurderouslySly posted:

Hello lovely Corgi lovers :-)

I've been doing a ton of research online and I'm really dismayed by the number of BYB/Puppy Mill breeders I am finding. Some of these puppies don't even LOOK like Corgis! Long story short, I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with any breeders within MD/DC/VA/WVa/Maybe Southern PA area? It seems like a lot of the ones listed on the PWCCA site don't have websites, and while I've been sending out tons of emails and calling people, I would be far, far happier with an educated recommendation. Ideally we're looking for someone within 4 hours of the DC metro so we can visit before purchasing.

Thanks muchly!

Our breeder isn't breeding right now, but I know of another lady out in Culpeper, VA. Dalarno Corgis. Loki's father (trucker) is from there. http://www.dalarno.com/index.html

Yes, the webpage looks like it was made in 1995, but don't let that detract you from getting a puppy from her. She doesn't have any right NOW, but she may soon. It's about 2.5 hours from DC.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

streetlamp posted:

For the two people earlier looking for breeders around VA, here is where Gizmo is from http://www.cloverhillfarm.com/Clover%20Hill%20Farm/PWC.htm (do any breeders have a decent website? god drat)

its in Kensale VA and they are very knowledgable and careful with choosing owners. We loved them and she still checks in on Gizmo.

Speaking of Gizmo, here he is waiting to enjoy a baseball game with his mom

Who are gizmo's parents? I ask because our two puppies are from her too.

We have a litter from 3 years ago and about a year and a half ago

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

aliceamadee posted:

Congratulations on bringing Marcus home!

We just brought our little friend home today too! Meet Orbit:

He has some red brindle now which he didn't have three weeks ago when we met him. You can't see it in that photo but it's around his neck and his back legs and he has little tiny red spots where his eyebrows are, so it looks like he'll be a tri-color and not just b&w. That is kind of cool! He's also poking up his ears a little bit. Sometimes it'll be both, sometimes one, and sometimes they're still floppy. Cutest.

The car ride was 4.5 hours and he was a SAINT. We stopped and took him outside twice and he understood what it meant both times and went to the bathroom. He snuggled on my feet and had fun with a bully stick and napped a LOT.

Once we got home, we put him in the ex-pen and sat with him for a while, then fed him. He seemed settled down, so we ate dinner on the couch (maybe 6 feet away from the ex-pen) and he whined and whined. When there was a moment of silence, we put our hand in the pen and petted him and he stayed calm, so we petted him more. Jeff is sitting in there with him right now and Orbit is napping with his little drumsticks out. We figure this is the first time he's been alone, so it's okay to want someone sitting next to you. Not sure how we're going to approach it if he's the same way tomorrow. We plan on a combo of tethering, crating, and the ex-pen, but he has to learn at some point that it's ok to be alone.

Our cat Gravity is being really good. He's very inquisitive, and is sticking his paw sloooowwwwllllyyy into the ex-pen through the holes, but not hissing or swatting or anything like that. They both looked at each other but otherwise are ignoring each other.

Here's crossing our fingers for an easyish first night..! We're so excited and in love with him already!

(edited because I dumbly asked how old Marcus is when it says he's a year old like 4 posts up. oops)

Cute guy! I hope the first night went well. Pepper cried for a while her first night, but she settled down after a day or two. Loki cried for weeks/months, but he finally calmed down. He's much more affectionate and loves to be around people. He follows us pretty much everywhere around the house. Sorry for the crappy quality, it's just a camera phone

This is his spot when we're in the bathroom:

Here is a picture of Pepper about half a year ago looking happy:

Pepper tends to lay at our feet. Here she is keeping me company while I rest from my minor surgery today:

And here is Loki in the same situation:

Pepper goes in for her (roughly) 8 week check up from TPLO surgery. I hope to hear that she has made a full recovery, seeing how the doctor said she looked to be at the equivalent of 6 weeks recovery at 2 weeks. The hair on her left hind leg still hasn't fully regrown, but it's much better than what it used to be.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

anachrodragon posted:

Aww what a cute little guy. He looks like Josie when she was a pup (pictures of her are in the op). Actually Josie has brindle points too. The really stand out in the sun, but otherwise you might not notice them.

You might need to tape his ears. We went through several rounds of ear taping with her, which she hated, but her ears were really stubborn and would stay up for a day then droop, then they'd stay up, then one would droop, then they'd be up, then the other would droop...

I second this. While floppy ears are adorable on a lab, they aren't fitting for a corgi.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kerafyrm posted:

Yay! What a cutie. :) Congrats!!

Nova's tags came in today! Here she is showing it off:

(Yes, it's cheesy but I think it's cute. :3: )

We had an Incident today. Some douche was letting his dog run free (I live in an apartment complex, so I have to take her out to potty in the place right outside) and this big dog (some sort of lab mix) comes barreling at her pretty aggressively, barking and growling. I had to snatch her up pretty quick by her collar since she was running around trying to get away from him and she cried and I felt like a terrible person. :( It probably wasn't the right way to handle it but I didn't want her getting barreled over and possibly hurt by some strange dog. I gave the dude a piece of my mind, though. Argh, people.

I would tried to body block the dog with a confident stance, chest out, and dircect eye contact. Tells the othr charging that YOU are the target and he most likely would back off. I would also note to the apt place of an aggressive loose dog and try to ID the owner

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Our dogs bark at the doorbell and creaks in the floor. I've had a fedex guy back off the door because he thought the barbarian horde was about to burst through the door

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 22, 2011

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

xeria posted:

How well do corgis do in an apartment? It'll be a while for me before I live in a house or anything and it's pretty quiet/sometimes boring at home by myself all day (since I work remotely) so I'm weighing my pet options now...

We had 2 in an apartment at one point, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

gogogiraffes posted:

Gizmo LOVES sleeping under chairs, and with his neck turned 90 degrees the wrong way. Also the sleeping on the back thing..

All corgis do the back thing. It's like they get a memo when they're born

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Tristesse posted:

He also likes to sleep half hanging off of things, like his body on the bed and his head and neck dangling off at a horrible angle. He freaked out my sister in law doing this, who thought he had fallen or something and snapped his neck. She apparently spent the better part of a day trying to come up with a way to let us know Ace was dead. Finally she went in and poked him and he was just sleeping. :downs:

Awesome!

Loki does this all the time (not to that Ace's extent), but Pepper seems to be prim and proper and won't sleep in awkward positions.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

aliceamadee posted:

I love Josie!!!!! <3 <3 <3

I found out that there's a Cardigan Club in our area that may have an event in October. I really hope they do because I would LOVE to see so many corgis all in one spot!!!

We took Pepper and Loki to the Middleburg, VA christmas parade, where the fan favorite portion is the army of corgis (the corgi corps) that walk the streets. They said it was something like 60 corgis there, but it seemed like that was a gross underestimation. Most of them were Pembrokes, but there were a few Cardigans there

Here is a video of some of the walk. Note: these aren't my videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbGO3zTum1w

The best part was waiting for the parade to start and all the dogs were in the staging area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm8SF0lTsbE&feature=related

At around 0:03 you can see Pepper sprint forwards (for no reason at all). The lard-rear end in the brown hoodie, Yankees hat, and the silly low-budget white sign is my walking Loki, who was just under a year old. What is odd, is that Loki was much better behaved than Pepper, which is quite the opposite than the norm.

You can also catch them in two other videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wNj2DKVvc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qto-II1OGAE

Edit:

Christmas parade starring Loki (and why retractable leashes are a terrible idea)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw_jjBfJbk8

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 16, 2011

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

The Dave posted:

Corgi Corps is amazing, however in that second video why is that woman making that poor fellow walk with a limp?

Also, I'm purchasing this for the mud room in our new house which will be Taziki's room when we're at work: http://www.etsy.com/listing/77416280/cardigan-corgi-print-life-is-short-8x10

I couldn't tell if the leash was under his leg, the costume was bothering him, or if he actually had a limp. However, interestingly enough, Pepper had a partial tear in her knee we didn't know about at this event and she continued to zoom around like nothing was wrong.

Her TPLO surgery was a total success, and I would estimate she is at least 95% of what she was before the tear. She is still zooming around like noone's business. I still get nervous when they nip at each others hind legs when they play though

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah my wife and I noticed that last night too. You can see him limping in both of the first 2 videos for sure and he was limping pretty good. Shouldn't be making that poor pup walk on a limp like that. :smith:

Yeah, i looked at it a bit closer and the leash clearly wasn't under the leg.

Sadly, not everyone is a responsible dog owner

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

The Dave posted:

Yeah I really wish I had some training done with Taziki, we just can't control her when another dog comes over. She's not really bad like embarrassing bad, but she just wants to play and can't be bothered to listen.

Thought I sort of get a proud father feeling because no one expects the speed to come out of her. We had a BBQ last weekend and the one guy just couldn't believe how Taziki could take a corner. I was just like "Well she's low to the ground."

Same here. We have rather bark-y dogs that like to bark at EVERYTHING. We try to keep them calm, but it ultimately doesn't work

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

gogogiraffes posted:

Anyone here going to the Middleburg Corgi Corps parade? Gizmo will be there!

Pepper and Loki will be there

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kerafyrm posted:

I think Nova's going to just be a tiny corgi. She's 8 months old and barely 20 pounds on a fat day, and pretty small. People keep asking me if she's a 'miniature' corgi. :sigh:

Her parents were a little small, but not that small. (Mother was around 25, father was between 25-30).

Loki is about 24-25 lbs, but he is very long. His chest isnt very broad either. I'll see if i can dig up some pictures from the parade

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

anachrodragon posted:

Josie has injured her right front leg twice in two years, and now we're giving her Duralactin based on our vet's suggestion. Our vet seems to think that soft tissue leg injuries are somewhat common in short legged dogs unfortunately. :smith:

Though it might be just something that Josie is prone to, as I haven't really known other corgis to have leg problems. As ButWhatIf said, I've heard back issues are more common.

Pepper had to have TPLO surgery, but she has bounced back from that like a champ. I don't know how she tore her ligament, but thankfully, it wasn't a bad tear. She's probably at 95% of her old speed, but she's also pretty young.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Wonder Bra posted:

He's, hmm.... A year and a half, just about. We went on this hike after his first birthday, which may have been too soon, but we only did 4 miles a day, which isn't a lot considering his activity level. I hope his little leg is OK, too. I really don't want him to have to have surgery.

Pepper was showing the same symptoms, albeit in her rear left limb. She partially tore her CCL at the dog park (she got flipped and rolled on when running around) or when she hit her rear leg jumping over some landscaping stones (which were approximately 4-6" high) and took an awful tumble. We don't know exactly how she hurt her leg, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two occurrences.

As a result, she had to have TPLO surgery. Obviously, there will be some differences, as your puppy is seeing lameness in his front limb, but I would think that the process would be pretty similar.

First visit to vet: Rest and Rimadyl for a week or two. Pepper showed little improvement, so we scheduled the 2nd visit.

Second visit to vet: X-Rays and referral to Orthopedic Surgeon

Third visit (first to OS): They took her for the whole day, examined her range of movement, made their diagnosis. Partial tear of her CCL ligament.

At this point, we had to make a choice. Since it was a partial tear, Pepper wasn't overweight, and the only symptom now was a slight limp, we could try and see if it would heal on its own, or, we could go ahead with the surgery.

Because Pepper was so young (she was just under 3 years old), we opted for the surgery. We didn't want to risk her further damaging the ligament, or possibly tearing the other ligament as a result of her compensating for the lame limb.

Fourth visit (second to OS): Surgery day was successful, and we started the 6 months of healing along with tramadol (for pain), carprofen (anti-inflammatory), and an antibiotic were perscribed as well. No stairs for 6 months, little to no movement for a few weeks, and leashed at ALL times when outside to go to the restroom. The E-collar had to stay on for a few weeks as well.

Here she is the day we brought her home

Fifth visit (third to OS): This was (I believe) her 8 week checkup. The Surgeon was surprised to see Pepper advance so fast. He estimated she was about a month or so ahead of schedule with her healing. We waited the full 6 months until we felt comfortable letting her roam free.

Sixth visit (final to OS): The surgeon was pleased to see Pepper had done so well. While she doesn't have the upper limit of her top speed, she still gets around pretty quickly (probably about 95% of what she was).

Final thoughts: About $3,600.00 later (total of all visits), we have a fully repaired corgi. Loki is showing the same signs as Corwin (slight limp in the front after running/lots of exercise) and he seems to bounce back after a day or so of some good rest. If it develops into something where he is limping without the running around, we will go to the vet. Let us know how things go.

Cheerful and back in action. Time warp puppy is in the background

Who is that handsome devil? That would be Loki, whose name is aptly fitting

I'm still experimenting with picture/file size, so bear with me. Sorry if I gently caress anything up

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I know I suck at taking pictures and I'm jealous at how well Wonder Bra's pictures come out. That being said, here are some pictures of my little hell raisers! With our new camera, Pepper no longer has the lazer-eyes of death.

One of the few times Loki is calm and not running around like a mad man

Derp!

Just seconds before they kick into high gear and go at it WWE style

Feels good man

A happy Pepper

Normally she is the one derping around outside, maybe it was the heat

Loki has been semi-sick the past few weeks, but he's slowly recovering. I swear, he has the most energy ever, even when his poop comes out like soft-serve. He's just now getting back onto his regular food from a week of chicken and rice. This is the 2nd time in 2 years he has had this crazy bout of enteritis (or something similar.) The first time it happened, we came home to a crate and carpet covered in vomit and diarrhea. After he recovered, we got smart and decided to keep him on a linoleum floor when he's sick.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

olaf2022 posted:

I somehow did not notice this thread until today.

This is Viceroy.

So happy!

So emo!

SO TIRED

Planking for the camera

And here's a video of him howling at a siren noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFG3HVgDcM

Too cute!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

I know it isn't really related to your question, but why does every Corgi breeder's website look the same?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

souphanousinphone posted:

Hello friends. I am new to corgis (and puppies, for that matter) and I'm looking to get one in the next upcoming few months. I just started doing some research last night, read through the puppy thread and this thread, etc. I am moving to a little one-bedroom home soon and aside from 2-3 hours of classes a day (I am a student), I'm home a lot. My boyfriend is happy to coordinate his schedule with mine to make sure that potential puppy isn't left alone, as well as my future roommate.

The reason why I want to wait several months is 1) to start up a savings account and get two grand in there for pup cost/backup, and 2) to find the perfect breeder and use this time to learn everything I can about puppies, corgis, happiness, and so on.

I found a breeder in my area and was hoping some of you could glance at it with your experienced eyes and tell me if sounds as great as I thought: http://www.dalarno.com/index.html
If you all approve, I want to give her a call later today and ask her the following questions, most of which I got from here (a lot of other ones I had were answered on the site):

How many dogs do you keep at a time?
Who is your veterinarian?
Do you inbreed?
How old is mother? How long does it take her to recuperate between litters? How frequently do you breed?
What do you feed dogs? How much exercise do they get? Who is their primary caretaker? Are they left alone, if so how long?
What are negative aspects of your breed?
When do you begin socialization of puppy? (should be three weeks)
What does adoption/purchase contract entail?
If something were to happen to doggie or I can no longer care for him, will you take him back?
What about intervertebral disc disease, canine hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and epilepsy…Do you show test results upfront?
Do you screen breeding stock for heritable diseases? What do you do with affected animals? (They should be removed from breeding program, altered, and placed as pets, provided that the health issues are disclosed to buyers/adopters.)
When is your next litter?

Anything else I should ask? Should I give her a call?

Thanks for the help, guys.

To be honest, she can come off as kind of a bitch. I have a pup from Trucker and I love him. The one interaction I had with her, she kinda rubbed me the wrong way, but don't let that stop you from buying from her.

Edit: I guess I should post some photos of him. Don't mind the blue eye, he was the only one in his litter with this and is just a recessive genetic trait.

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 3, 2012

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

gogogiraffes posted:

I got Gizmo at 12 weeks old. I can count on my hand (other than infections) when he's peed in the house.

I crated him ALWAYS when I was gone. He's not crated now, he'll be 4 in August. He doesn't even know what a peepad in. My husbands mom put her dog in the bathroom with a peepad. And the dog ate his own poo. Had terrible separation anxiety. Granted he was a doxie, puppy mill pup.

Can you get a dog walker? It's summer, is there a neighborhood kid who wants to make a bit of money? They can come over let him out at lunch, and clean up whatever has happened inside?

Chalk me up for the anti-pee pad group. We haven't used a pee pad for either dog and we have no problem with them going in doors. However, I worked fairly close to home and walked them on my lunch break for the first 6-7 months and crated them. They no longer need the crates and we have no issues.

As an aside, those food bowls with the prongs in the middle are a god send.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

RurouNNy posted:

:toot: Happy Birthday :3:

And Corra has wormed her Corgi self into my older dog Loki's heart :swoon:

No poo poo? Another corgi named Loki?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

Welp, we're not going to the picnic tomorrow. Neige threw up about 9 times in 12 hours, so we've got a vet appointment in a couple hours. I think we'll just have a nice, casual weekend of relaxation instead, which we both sorely need. I've been pulling 10-12 hour workdays all week, and she needs to let her little tummy feel less icky.

A recent summary of how we have been feeling:

Bonus: Neige expresses her opinion of the Whidbey ferry.

Windy!

Not impressed.

Seriously, why are we doing this?

Keep us updated and hopefully it isn't anything serious.

Loki was having issues with vomiting. The problem was, it was intermittent and no pattern to it... until it dawned on me that almost all of his thrown up kibble didn't look chewed at all. We got one of those special bowls with the prongs in the bowl that helps prevent speedy eating. He hasn't had any issues since.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Wulfling posted:

This is my baby girl Sam, named after Samantha Carter. I'm a Stargate nerd...
She turned 2 years old today, still wound up like a clock spring, but has her moments of quiet. I got her from a breeder at about two months old. Love her to pieces.

Could be worse, you could have named your dog after an Iron Man character or the Norse god of mischief

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Anyone have experience with Addison's disease in their corgi? Loki just had bloodwork done after his gastro-related issues kept coming back and his sodium/potassium ratio was borderline. He goes in for the ACTH test tomorrow. If it comes back what he does have Addison's, I know he will be on meds for the rest of his life, but what should I expect?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Topoisomerase posted:

As long as it's well managed with medication, an Addisonian dog will generally do pretty well.

If your dog is Addisonian and it's caught like this you're in a good place (and have a good vet), because it's actually fairly frequent not to catch Addison's until the dog has a sudden life-threatening episode of electrolyte imbalance, since the signs can be very non-specific and difficult to pick up.

I'm happy to hear that this is probably the case. While it sucks he might have to be on medication for the rest of his life, at least we can safely assume we know the cause of his digestive issues has been. Thank you for the info!

Edit: I guess it's back to the drawing board. Loki doesn't have Addison's!

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 5, 2013

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Do all corgis do this? We feed Otto the amount recommended and every time he eats, it's like he's starving with how fast he is inhaling the food.

Try using a bowl with the posts in the middle. This forces them to eat around them, use their tongue, and slows down their eating. It's helped Loki tremendously

Edit: http://www.chewy.com/dog/proselect-...CFZRr7Aod9GIANA

Added a link to an example

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

I told my dad about that when I got a corgi and he said that, in his experience growing up on a dairy farm, a cow is quite capable of kicking over a milk bucket but maybe they can't kick as hard at that height?

Mandatory picture of my dog waiting for an important call.

Milk buckets don't move

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

ArtificialSweetener posted:

Finally have my very own corgi puppy!

Pic from the breeder:

We went with the oh so original name of Blue since he has a single blue eye.

He's so awesome and affectionate.

*in my best liquid snake voice* Brother!

abaddonis fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 1, 2016

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper went in for her yearly check up and the vet had noticed that she lost a couple lbs and looked a little bloated, so we took some blood to get tested. Results came back abnormal, but pointed to nothing specific, so we scheduled an ultrasound for the next day given the worst case diagnosis. She ended up crashing that night, and one trip to the emergency vet revealed that she had lymphoma and was bleeding into her stomach.

RIP, she was too young

Pepper was a good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Bird Law posted:

drat, sorry to hear that! How old was she?

She was 8 years old. We have been in contact with our breeder and she hasn't heard of any other dogs in her litter that fell ill

• Locked thread