Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Did someone say Dorgi?

I suspect Marlowe is a Dorgi, maybe with something else tossed in.

I was actually in search of a Pembroke before I got him, but I couldn't find a breeder that I really felt comfortable with and after putting so much time and effort into things I got frustrated and gave up. Enter Marlowe!

I'd still love to have a Pembroke one day, though those Vallhunds are tempting, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
So I'm maybe (but probably not) getting a Corgi. Someone posted a possibly pregnant four year old Pembroke bitch on my local CL-talked about how much her puppies sell for but they can't keep her anymore. I wrote to ask about their 'rehoming fee' and it was $200. I'm broke, I don't need another dog, but...Corgi! So after a few days of debating I wrote them and told them I could offer $50, an excellent home (went on about my family's little farm and how my BFF/roomie is a vet tech blah blah) and I could pick her up ASAP since they made it sound like time was a factor.

That was five days ago, I never heard back. I assumed they sold her. Nope, her ad is back up on CL as of ten minutes ago, so I wrote and made sure they knew my offer still stands.

Also I have this and it's probably a Corgi mix.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

KnightLight posted:

Sounds like a failed BYB looking for another BYB to buy their "stock." If that's the case, they care about the money they can make rather than the conditions the dog will be going to. I doubt they'll take your offer unless they get no others. :(

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. It also sounds like she's not bred right now like they thought, so I'm sure they're even more eager to offload her. If I really felt I could spare the $200 I'd probably pay it, even though I have a strong feeling they'd turn around and use it to buy another dog. Almost like buying a pet store puppy to 'save' it. :(

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

rivals posted:

If you can't possibly spare $200 for a dog (ignoring that the $200 would be going to a BYB), how could you afford the vet bills for an almost definitely poorly bred BYB dog?

Whoa, I didn't think of that at all! :downs:

Do I have $200 or more? Yes. Am I going to give it to a potential BYB for a dog I don't 'need'? No. Am I managing to provide for my other animals? Yes. Would I be able to care for this one barring any major medical emergency? Yes. Would I sell everything I own to pay for a major medical emergency? Yes.

I did actually think this out for a day or so before I sent my initial e-mail. But the ad is gone again, they haven't contacted me, so hopefully whoever got her decided to do right by her rather than use her to pump out endless litters.

But I still have this thing.

I don't remember if I introduced him here before. Marlowe's a 3 year old something from the county shelter. I think he's Corgi/Dachshund with something else thrown in. Hopefully he's Corgi enough for the thread.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

I posted:

But the ad is gone again, they haven't contacted me, so hopefully whoever got her decided to do right by her rather than use her to pump out endless litters.

I have it on good authority the person that ended up with her plans to get her spayed ASAP, is changing her over from '$17 for 50 lbs' food to a decent brand, and is trying to find a good name for her.

I got a call Friday morning and talked to her owner. She didn't like any of the other people who contacted her, and decided to let me have her. She is possibly the most laid back Corgi in existence, and is a bit like having a loving, dog-shaped pillow who occasionally eats and poops.:3: She's going to be 5 at the end of the month and has already had 3 or 4 litters with another potential litter on the way...but I think I'm just going to take her in to get her fixed.

I wanted to give her a 'properly Welsh' or Irish-y or something name, but I keep coming back to Winnie. I think it suits her, but can I really bring myself to name an animal Winnie?

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
She came with the name Twitch. Which is unique at least, but is a little hard for me to say. "Twitch, come! Come on Twitch! Let's go Twitchy!" It also makes her sound like she has some kind of seizure problem which so far she does not.

She hasn't met Marlowe yet; I can't have two dogs here so she's living with my soon to be roommate. She did absolutely great meeting her two dogs. We were worried because my friend's female is very dominant, but thankfully the Corgi isn't and there was no issue. She totally ignored the cats, the rats, and the rabbits. I don't foresee any issues between her and Marlowe. He's a little more hyper than her but they're pretty well matched as far and size and energy level. They're going to be so much fun to walk together.

She doesn't seem food motivated so far, but she was also being free-fed the crappy dry food and then getting canned food twice a day. Hopefully on a better diet food becomes more interesting. I didn't know non-food motivated Corgis existed.

EDIT: IMPORTANT SPAY QUESTION
She has an appointment to be spayed on Thursday. Should I have her checked for vWD before she's spayed? I'm probably way too paranoid about her bleeding to death. What are the odds she would have lived through having 3-4 litters with it?

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 10, 2010

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I forgot to update! Corgi is now named Ellie. She's adapting excellently to our home. She was spayed last week and healing very well.

She's also the anti-Corgi. She's eating, but not finishing everything we give her. She doesn't really care about treats. She prefers to lay around and be a Corgi-rug rather than do Corgi things, and I have not heard her bark. Not. Even. Once.

Is my Corgi broken?

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I saw previous mention of chill Corgis. Ellie has discovered my roommate's computer chair, and she gets pretty chill in it.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think I've posted this. Here's a video of Ellie getting hit by a car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJf3jxZaDHo

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Noctone posted:

Hahahahahahahaha that just made my Monday. :3: She must have been really tired? I can't imagine Hopkins not going bananas on that thing.

She's pretty laid back, actually. She can get really worked up sometimes-like when I come home or if there's even the slightest chance food will happen. Since the car isn't food and I wasn't going anywhere, she really didn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Colin McRae has gone too far this time.

New gymkhana challenge found.

• Locked thread