Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
This is my baby girl Sam, named after Samantha Carter. I'm a Stargate nerd...
She turned 2 years old today, still wound up like a clock spring, but has her moments of quiet. I got her from a breeder at about two months old. Love her to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Sam is the same way, quite noisy when she wants attention, or needs to go out, or you touched her while she's sleeping. Rarely barks, but loves to talk.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
So I've not posted in here in forever, and figured I'd share some of my girls adventures.

Here she is all worn out during our road trip from TX to TN last year....

Here she discovered sand for the first time on the gulf coast in Mississippi...

And here she is getting her first experience swimming... She kept trying to jump over the tide waves as they came in, I almost fell over laughing...

And here she is doing the trademark corgi flop after getting home from the groomer... begging me to remove the bows.

Almost forgot to post the most important one... She's decided that when we don't allow her on the bed, that she can commando crawl her way underneath... Not much more clearance than her head so she usually gets about this far and quits...

Hobold fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 4, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Mordiceius, he is the cutest little guy ever. Reminds me of mine when she was that age. How did you get him to lay with you like that? Sam usually gets fussy and squirmy when you try to get her to do that. She likes to sleep on her own, without being touched, or she will get snorty.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Honestly, he seemed like he was born that way. He has been the most cuddly, well behaved little dog. We got him at about 9 weeks and we have made sure to spend at least an hour or so snuggling with him daily. He rarely barks and we never really had to train him about that. He only barks when he gets SUPER overstimulated (even when 5 newcomers enter the house, he doesn't bark), but in the rare occasion he does bark, he immediately recognizes he did something wrong and looks upset about it.

We got him neutered last month and had zero problems with that. He didn't have to wear a cone and he never tried licking it or biting at the stitches. He likes being around other dogs but he absolutely LOVES people. Whenever he sees new people, he puts his ears back and runs up toward them just wanting attention. We started taking him to dog parks around 4 months and we recently went out of town for a few days and left him at this kennel that promotes socialization. So he's had a lot of time with tons of other dogs.

Oh it would be soo nice if Sam was that well behaved. She gets really vocal when she sees things and she can't get at them. Either outside the window or while she is on her leash. Super excitable and I've been trying to break her of it for a more than a year but she seems to have a touch of ADD and just gets to where she completely ignores things around her when there is something she wants to investigate. Be it people, other dogs, or just leaves in the wind.

Sam didn't have much trouble when we got her fixed. She slept off the first couple days of it, after that she was okay. She would try to get at it to lick it, but quickly realized, much to my amusement, that she couldn't reach the stitches, and would just end up scooting herself in a tiny circle.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
She is absolutely adorable. Seeing her an the cat play reminds me of how mine and my mothers cat used to play with Sam was just a puppy.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Sam is over 3 now, and she will still on ocassion, get a mouth full of food, dump it on the floor, and eat it one bit at a time. Usually she just inhales mouthfuls in hopes of getting more though.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Yeah Sam has always been a cow, and vacuums her food down. Though I always just assumed it was due to her running off into the other room to beg my mother for more food, which she would eventually get, reinforcing the behavior that she begs and whines when people are eating. Food just doesn't last around her. Hell she even jumped up and snatched a slice of pizza out of my hands and ate it, the little poo poo. She is a bit overweight though. Much less so than when my mother was feeding her several times a day off her plate or the stove.

E: Has anyone shaved their corgis? Is this something I can have done, or is it a bad idea. Sam sheds an unbelievable amount of fur, and my girlfriend wants me to have her shaved with her next grooming to cut down on that.

Hobold fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 28, 2014

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar posted:

Gansett stole a sandwich out of my husband's uncle's hands over Christmas. He's not invited back. The dogs have gotten into their big bag of costco kibble twice and didn't eat the entire bag either time, but they were extremely ... firm to the touch afterward.

Definitely don't shave your corgi! They'll still shed the same number of hairs, they'll just be shorter and pricklier. I don't know whether this is the best way to brush them, but I use one of those scary looking shedding blades on Holly and it gets off crazy fur. My groomer furminates her.

Oh man I couldn't help but about laugh myself out of my chair on the firm comment. Oh its bad enough they already look like little sausages with legs, just fill em to the brim for kicks. Poor things, I bet they had a hell of a time when it was time to get rid of all that kibble.

I may or may not have a ferminator with me. It might have been left back at my mothers place. The problem with that is Sam doesn't really take to brushings, and squirms and whines a lot. Don't know why, but she gets fussy. Definitely won't shave her though.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Oh lord. The sniffing. Soo much sniffing to make drat sure, not one single crumb got lost in the vacuuming of kibbles.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
I've got a little stool set next to the bed for Sam to use as a step platform for climbing up. She doesn't really need it, she can just straight up if she really wants to but most of the time she'll sit at the stool and act like she's getting ready to go up, but just stand up then drop down again. I'm not sure if she's just being lazy or what. She seems fine most of the time, very active, runs a lot, and willingly throws herself off the bed when she wants down, often before you can try to do anything to stop her. Really I'm just wondering if she isn't being spoiled, or if its an early sign of a problem I need to be aware of. She's only about three and a half now. She does the same thing with the couch. Almost like she is afraid to jump up, has to keep standing up to make sure its okay for her to do it.

E: Sam barks at the stupidest poo poo, but has gotten better to the point where she wont do it inside. Other than dogs on the tv or computer anyways. Outside? Yeah she barks at grass blowing in the wind.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Sir Tonk posted:

Does anyone have experience with Texas breeders? I got Igby from a shelter and want to go with a puppy next. I'm starting to email the ones listed on the page referenced in the OP, but it's like going back to the internet circa 1997.

I got mine from a breeder out East of Dallas some years ago. I'll have to do some digging to get info on them and see if they're even still doing it. They had papers, registrations, I think decent from show winners, medical checks, the whole nine yards. I've not had much if any problems with Sam. Her stomach sensitivity is not from breeding I believe, is just something that can happen in any dog. Gimme a few hours and I'll see what I can dig up.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Millions posted:

Oh my god my city is having a huge adoption event tomorrow and there is a purebred Pem for an adoption fee of $30. Tegan would kill me if I brought another corgi home but hnnnnnnggggg :ohdear:

Oh god. Do it. I would.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Such a great looking dog. Sam only barks at things when she's outside at least.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

For the people that do clicker training with your corgis, how well do they handle it? I want to get a little more serious with training Butters so I went and bought a clicker today, and watched a couple goon-recommended videos on clicker training. But the first time I tried to pair it with a treat, upon hearing the click he jumped back and ran to the other side of the room. Now he actually will run away from me if I have a treat out :shepface: I'm wondering if it's too loud for his big ears, did any of you run into a similar issue when starting to clicker-train your corgi? Admittedly my dog is also a huge wuss but I thought these clickers were supposed to be idiot-proof, and unless I'm going too fast I think I broke him already :(

I've noticed with Sam, she is also a giant wuss, and what normally works easily on other dogs, takes some time and coaxing to get her to do things. Butters is likely just freaking out because of the sound, the fact that its new, and its associated with treats. He'll likely get over it fairly quickly. When Sam was a pup, she was so afraid of 2 liter soda bottles, she barked herself into a frenzy and poo poo all over the floor. Now she's totally fine with them. :shrug:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Crunch Bucket posted:

Punks, your corgs is adorable! His (her?) little feet look so well-groomed. My boys pitch an absolute shitfit whenever we come near them with the clippers. It's a two-person job with me doing the clips and my husband feeding them treats to distract. We tried the Pedi-Paws thing and that was a disaster, so now we just try to clip them manually whenever we have the stomach to tackle it, though I think their quick has lengthened a bit so we can't keep their nails as short as we'd like anymore.

Oh man. I have the same problem with Sam. She starts trying to death roll and turns her whole sausage of a body into a flail. All while whining and growling and just otherwise verbally announcing her displeasure. I find it bloody hilarious because I'm always the one with the clipper. The one holding her is less amused, as they typically get clocked in the jaw by rock hard corgi skull. Its more an exercise in not laughing for me than actually trying to cut the nails. Needless to say this is something we undertake very rarely. Treats don't calm her during this process. She just does not tolerate people touching her little nub feet.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Sam will from time to time get her self worked up in such a way that she poops out of fear/nervousness. It doesn't happen too frequently. Her dislike of groomers is often out weighted by the fact that she is getting love and attention from strangers. She is such a massive ham, that its easier for them to do it than us. She's only pooped at the groomers once. However when I try to do her nails, its not fear, but anger, that I dare to touch her nubs. I've been trying to get her used to it since she was a baby, its just never worked. She hates anyone messing with her feet.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Oh god, Panda is soo adorable. Those ears are massive!

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Crunch Bucket posted:

I have one undersized corgi (he's our lil' permanent puppy)

I, for the greater good of us all, demand pics of your corgi runt. He bust be absolutely adorable.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Sam loves to chase cats. Her and my cat used to chase each other around, and eventually the cat would just fall over to let Sam chew on her head. It was quite adorable. They've only become reacquainted after a little over a year apart so I'm still waiting for them to settle back in together.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Nobnob posted:

My little girl Indra is getting old.

She's 12 now and will turn 13 in november. Obviously she is losing her sight slowly. She has problems to see things on the floor, sometimes she's not able to realize that my legs belong to me and she seems pretty much blind when it's relatively dark. She also changed her behavior - she refuses to react on commands, she started to actually cry loudly for the slightest problem or need she may have (like, terrorizing everyone because her water is getting relatively low) - so I have to put her onto a dog leash again; something that I didn't have to do for more than 12 years, as she always was okay to walk around freely.
It's a strange feeling doing that though. For me it's putting my best friend onto a leash and walking around with her, showing everyone that I have to do so.

Additionally her bladder is getting weak. She just can't hold it sometimes, especially if special things happen and she's happy. That's really sad, as she obviously does not want to do that, she always walks away and hides, even though no one ever shouted at her for losing such things. It's just her turning into an old lady and time slowly crushing her body.

Nevertheless, she doesn't feel old at all. Her body forces her to sleep more, but if she's active and she's able to, she loves to play with her lovely toys (read: everything she could use as a toy, ever), she likes to play with the small puppy my mother got a few weeks ago, even if he's way too strong and crazy for her to keep up.
Regarding that I'm 19, I grew up with her and it hurts to see her change this way, but nature will do it's job one day and grab for her. For the time being, I just wanted to share her story with you and I will enjoy every second I can be with her.

Its too drat early for the feels train man. That is brutal though. Its not easy to deal with a loved pet getting old. My cat, I had a hell of a time coming to terms with the fact that I needed to let him go and put him down. Indra is still a ways off from that point I'm sure, but dealing with that eventuality is rough. Especially when you see it every day. Just keep on loving her as long as you can.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

The Dave posted:

Well the hell do you live that corgis are at kill shelters?

Better question, Where does he live that they're soo common he found TWO in kill shelters.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

PoPcornTG posted:

Hey guys. Is there much of a difference with temprement and personality between the two sexes when it comes to the Pembroke?

I've always heard that the females are way more energetic the first couple years than the males are. Mine was unbelievably hyper till she hit three.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar posted:

Lil Pep had a brush with IVDD about 5 weeks ago and had to go on crate rest. NOBODY was happy.

Nooo :(

How old is he? I know mine is going to have similar problems, I really worry about her.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

catamar posted:

My vet also recommended that Holly lose weight to help prevent it - check with your vet at the next visit to see whether they recommend losing a couple of pounds for your girl too. Extra weight adds stress to the spine fast.

Oh I already know mine needs to lose weight. Despite cutting her intake, changing her diet, and doing my damnedest to exercise her more, she keeps the pounds on her. Shes only 4 now, but I'm still looking at other alternative options.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Had to look up what that was because I've never heard the name before. Alas yes I really need to get one of those for Sam. Do you guys have any recommendations for brands and durability? Don't want to spend money on one only to have her tear it up. I'd definitely be able to get more exercise for her that way.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

ButWhatIf posted:

Some dogs can develop an OCD behavior called light/shadow chasing, but not all dogs will. You know the level of your dog's tendency to neurosis, so use that as a guide before choosing whether or not to use a laser pointer. Neige probably wouldn't have an issue, for example.

Sam has an iffy history with the laser. She seems to get bored of it fairly quickly. That may be a product of using it when there were other dogs around. If I can find mine, or buy a new one, I'll try it out again. She seems to get mad and stompy with play time quickly though. She hates anything and everything to do with fetch. The most I can get out of her currently is using the cat as a toy, or chasing her around when she has a chew bone in her mouth.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Shes all worn out from being out and playing in the snow.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Millions posted:

On the topic of toys , Lambchop lasted a whole two days!

Yeah, Sam is notorious for destroying toys with squeakers or stuffing. Fluff everywhere.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Hee! That tongue is adorable. Mine will stick the very tip of hers out between her lips usually when she's exceptionally happy.

If there is one thing corgis are masters of, its shedding. They shed enough for 3-4 other dogs. Even the groomer I take her too is always amazed at how much fur they get out of her undercoat.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Should show her the same kindness that poor 'hua got in the end.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Mine will do half a fetch. Maybe. What she really enjoys is chasing squirrels or cats, or some other dogs. Or having a bone in her mouth, and being chased by me. Sometimes tug of war works. Walks are good but "OMG SMELLS" is an issue still.

I can throw a ball or a frisbee, and my sisters dach will go nuts. Sam? It'll hit her in the face and stare at me like, "I can't eat this, the gently caress am I supposed to do with it?"

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
The sooner the better. My experience when looking for one, was most breeders would have most of the puppies claimed, either pre-birth, or before they were ready to go home. I'd start inquiring as early as possible. You're going to be at the whims of waiting lists, and birth cycles.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Does anyone have experience with their corgi breaking their teeth on chew bones? Mine got one of her minor teeth pulled today as it was totally wrecked. I never would have guessed something like that could happen to dogs, and was curious of it was just a one off, or possibly a corgi thing. Needless to say I've got to find a softer chew for her. She needs it for when she wants to be fierce, and the cat won't play.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Well we give her Himalayan Chews, instead of actual bones. Not really sure what I want to switch her to next, as now I'm concerned this might happen again with a bigger tooth.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Noo. Not fair! :cry:

Is there anything they can do for her now? Or is it a matter of time/ making the decision?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
So we just got our water sprinklers fixed at our house. My Sam, like most all corgis loves to attack water. This was an opportunity I could not pass up recording.

http://i.imgur.com/u9PeaPe.mp4

http://imgur.com/gallery/ftAIb

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

I am jealous of this one. My baby hates cuddling. Only time she does that is when I come home, or if you're lucky, she'll sleep against you at night if you don't move much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Yeah, mine cracked a tooth on hard chews, so she got banned from them. I've just resorted to taking her in once every year or so to get her teeth cleaned by the vet. Its expensive, but its actually doable.

When I try to brush her teeth she tries to bite my finger off. Even as a pup she's hated that poo poo.

• Locked thread