Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

sucks to ur assmar posted:

6-7 hours a day isn't that bad, for an adult, but you will want to have a dog walker until its bladder grows bigger. But PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE use this forum every. step. of. the. way. while choosing a dog/puppy. Seriously.

Yeah, even in this thread, many of the dogs are poor quality/milled/bought in a pet store because people have no loving clue how to find a good quality dog from a reputable breeder starting from zero. Don't fall into that trap and run your leads on future dogs past us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Arzakon posted:

Does anyone know a quality Pembroke breeder in the Atlanta area, or maybe Vallhund? I have no qualms about driving 3-4 hours so South Georgia, South Carolina, Northern Alabama and Eastern Tennessee are fair game too. I'm looking at a house with a fenced .66 acre lawn and my wife and I will be on different schedules for a while which will work well with puppy training. I can't wait to be out of this apartment and into a house...

Bill & Janet Richardson
Tresaith Corgis
205-822-0999
tresaithcorgis@bellsouth.net
http://www.tresaithcorgis.com/

Her titling on her dogs is unbeatable. She's in the Birmingham, AL area.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

noelcat posted:

Now, this is more of a general question, but spawns some disagreement between my husband and I: how much barking is too much?

Depends on what he's saying.

I don't think it's black and white, always on/always off. Not all barks are the same. I appreciate when my dogs bark when someone approaches the door, and praise them for it, but tell them "enough" calmly when I want them to stop. I let them know they did their job, but I am in control of the situation and am taking over, they can stand down. I don't like it when they bark when someone is just outside walking their dog and tell them to "knock it off" harshly. They don't bark when dogs are on-lead being walked most of the time. (Certain dogs still set them off, but that's usually something else deeper like they've seen the dog loose before or whatever) Barking when playing is fine imo, but barking while demanding something is not. One of the hardest things isn't teaching a dog to speak, ours picked it up pretty easily, it's teaching them not to when you want other commands. You'll tell them "sit" and they will still bark, thinking that's they command you want and as a "demand," but that gets a "aaaah" and me ignoring them for a sec or working with the other dog until they stop. You can condition barking just like any other facet or behavior.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

scuz posted:

Any tips on where to get MY GIRLFRIEND and me a corgi in Minnesota? We'd really like to get one from an SPCA-sort of place instead of a breeder, but if that's what we must do then we must do it! We want a puppy oh so very badly :ohdear:

http://www.lakeshorecorgi.com/states/minnesota.htm

http://www.lakeshorecorgirescue.com/available.html

good luck.

• Locked thread