Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

KilGrey posted:

Aren't Corgi's a bit difficult though?

They can be. They have tons of energy and are very intelligent. That can be a frustrating combination. When Nacho (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) was a puppy my wife and I often found ourselves at our wits' end. He's two years old now and has calmed down a tremendous amount. He's still high energy but he can be a bit of a couch potato too. Cardigans are supposed to be a bit more laid back than Pembrokes, or so I've heard.

Sorry I can't help for info on Cardigan breeders but I'm in PA and Nacho's breeder only breeds PWC's.

Edit for additional Corgi cuteness:

http://www.tps-reports.com/nacho/nacho_car_puppy.jpg

http://www.tps-reports.com/nacho/canada/nacho_puppy.jpg

Edited to remove links - Google gives malware warnings.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

londerwost posted:

So C-myst has two females that are available right now because of people backing out. We weren't really planning on getting the puppy so soon but we're sorely tempted. She said her typical price is $800 but it includes all the health testing (not sure about genetic) and microchip, etc etc. Not sure if I'll get a lower price even though we'll get her fixed.

i think it's these two.

Click here for the full 687x599 image.

Click here for the full 657x625 image.

It's quite a drive, I think about 6-8 hour drive one way but I'm getting excited. Hope the snow melts soon! :D

EDIT: What are some things we can do to puppy proof the house? I'm concerned about wires and plugs, mostly. Small items and plants are higher up and out of the way.

Those puppies are adorable.

As far as puppy proofing the house goes, try to keep anything possible out of reach. Cords can be tied together and put under area rugs or tucked behind furniture. Nacho was (and still is to an extent) a bad chewer so we used bitter apple spray on anything he could get his mouth on. Obviously don't leave food out.

The biggest thing is not to let him/her out of your sight. When Nacho was little we would make sure he was always in the same room as us. Definitely crate train. While it's good to do in general, Corgis can really get into trouble. At this point Nacho is out in the kitchen during the day and at night. He'd sleep in our bedroom but he makes too much noise. Oh well.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Oh god she's too cute. Congrats on your new puppy. And more pictures STAT!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
CRAZY EYES!!!!!!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

anachrodragon posted:

There was actually sort of a funny bonding moment between her and the cat last weekend. This big black tom cat came into our yard and started marking around the yard and patio. Our cat, who is an inside cat but still views the yard as his territory, ran over to the sliding glass door and started growling. Josie perked up and ran over and sat down right next to him, and the next thing I know she lets out this low rumbling WWWUFF with a growl at the end. It was pretty funny and also drat cute.

That's really cute, it sounds like a typical Corgi warning bark as I like to call it. Nacho does it all the time when he sees or hears something "suspicious."

Here's a cute video with many of the typical sounds Corgis make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tvwqTfES3o

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Sir Tonk posted:

I wouldn't say he likes baths, but he definitely likes the time right after the bath when he gets to roll around on a towel for half an hour.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Wet Corgis look ridiculous, their ears look ten times bigger. Here's Nacho as a puppy getting a bath.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

pioneermax posted:

Thats awesome, made me chuckle.. Ive been asked if merlin was a fox and how they could get hold of one.

Ive got a quick question, dunno where else to post it but merlin loves the cats (a little too much) but the cats alas do not love poor merlin. How long does it take for them to get use to each other? Merlin is 5 months old and as i said loves the cats but theyre so close to clawing his eyes, its worrying me.

I've gotten the fox question with Nacho. But the best was when someone saw him and asked, "Is that real?" Granted he was four months old at the time and looked like a stuffed animal, but come on. He was on a leash and walking on his own.

Sushi was three months old when we brought him home. Nacho was almost a year old at the time and was definitely very interested. Sushi didn't like him at first and there was a fair amount of hissing and swatting. Eventually Nacho learned Sushi's limits and Sushi learned that Nacho wasn't going to eat him and they started to play together. How long have you had Merlin?

Bonus videos of kitten and puppy playtime!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1ywbJsv00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3mdJrzcC0

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Haha, Nacho goes nuts for lasers too. He doesn't have a tail but his normally invisible nub would wag violently. We had to stop letting him play with it because he would just go too insane. He'd look around for the light long after we put it away and any time he would see a pen he'd start to go apeshit.

What's on your pup's ear? Were they not standing up on their own?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

pioneermax posted:

Thats so cute ! You cant dock tails in the uk any more, so Merlin does this permanently but with his tail actually in his mouth :3:

Pembrokes naturally don't have tails, they're not docked. They were bred out of the breed and they have very short, almost non existent little nubs. Instead of tail wagging you get nub wagging. Cardigans have tails.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

anachrodragon posted:

Not all Pembrokes are born with bob tails. I think in a given litter you'll find some natural bobs and some with full tails. Docking is done for uniformity. However, due to controversy and docking becoming illegal in some countries, it's not unusual to see Pembrokes with tails these days.

On another note, does anyone have suggestions for entertaining a bored corgi who can't be allowed to run around or jump? Josie is really frustrated because we're keeping her either crated or leashed while she's recovering from her spay surgery. She needs to be kept low activity for the next week or so until her stitches are ready to come out. We already bought her a big loving buffalo bone to work on, as well as a variety of other chews, but I know what she really wants to do is run around. :smith:

That's interesting, I thought tails were totally bred about of Pembrokes.

Give deer antlers a try. Nacho spends countless hours chewing on his antlers and they keep him quiet and happy. They're seriously the best chews ever. They have the consistency of cow hooves but have no odor. They last a long time and disintegrate while being chewed. There's nothing to swallow or break off like bones or rawhide and there's no mess orcleanup. They're also soft enough that there's no risk of breaking teeth.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

londerwost posted:

Josie loves her antler but has been disinterested since getting fixed. We actually got her a buffalo bone that's big enough for her to chew around the cone. She still get's bored with it and starts crying.

This has helped some because she's more comfortable. Plus we can turn it back from her face so it's easier for her to eat and drink.

Haha, I've never seen an E-collar like that before. I guess I got lucky because neither of my dogs needed one when they were neutered. They didn't try to lick or play with themselves. What about treat dispensing toys like this? It should keep her busy and occupied, but not running and jumping around.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Well, shows what I know. I've never seen a Pembroke with a tail and had always thought no Pembrokes were born with them. People ask about Nacho's tail, or lack thereof, all the time. They're used to seeing docked tails on Rotties, Dobes, Boxers, etc. where there's a sizable amount of tail left. They're shocked to hear that he was born without one and that he hasn't been surgically altered at all except for neutering. Then again, at least two people have asked if he's a fox, heh.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tristesse posted:

I actually went and picked up the knockoff at Petsmart today since it was on the way to another errand I had to run. It seems pretty Ace proof, but so far he won't go near it.

So typical of him, I spend money on a nice doggy bed for Ace and this is how he sleeps instead.

Pain in the rear end.

Same with Nacho, my Corgi. Santos, my Greyhound, has had a bed in the bedroom from day one. Nacho would always try to steal it if it was empty, and then look pissy when it was occupied. So we got a second bed for him, and now he always sleeps on the floor. Ugh...

Pooptron2003 posted:

My dear Corgi enthusiasts.

I have a weird question. I'm looking into buying my first home and last night I looked at a "trinity" style row house in Philadelphia. The issue I have is that it has curved staircases.

My dog Teddy currently does fine with the set of stairs I have in my apartment... but I'm worried he won’t be able to go down these curved stairs. Think it could cause any problems for him if I have to carry him up and down the stairs daily? I know this question is a bit paranoid... but, I'm a worrier.

Anyone have any experience with this or anything remotely like it? Odds are I'll just keep looking for a different place...but this place has a sweet price tag dammit! :colbert:

I think he'll be fine with the stairs. They can be daunting for a Corgi at first, but they get the hang of them eventually. Nacho got the hang of the stairs at our first house OK, but then had issues when we moved. The stairs are straight, but there's a landing in the middle where you turn a 180. He eventually got the hang of them. Then once we got the basement in order he was allowed down there but had trouble with the stairs. They're much steeper so he was scared to go down them, but eventually got over it.

Bottom line, in my experience, is that they might be an issue at first but with practice and plenty of treats as motivation, Corgis should do fine on stairs unless they're really odd, or the dog has back/joint problems. And you should also keep Corgis from running stairs until they're at least a year old.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Tristesse posted:

I reeeeally need to take a video of him going after the pointer. It is insane, relentless, and you can actually see his butt wiggling SO HARD. Hilarious and tires him out really well with pretty much no effort on my part. Win- win! Also, great to know that the pet handheld vac works as well for you as it does me. Seriously between that and the Bissel Little Green steam vac (recommend this for anyone pretty much, not just dog owners) I got I don't know what I'd do to keep my place clean.

Nacho is the same way with a laser pointer. His nub wags so fast it looks like his butt will fall off. He even kicks the ground like a bull ready to charge if I point the laser on a wall out of his reach. We stopped using it though because the anticipation of it made him go nuts. He'd keep looking for the laser long after we were done for the night, and he'd flip out if he saw anything that looked like the last pointer. His nub would start wagging at the sight of a pen or small flashlight. In the end he just got too annoying when we weren't using the laser pointer so we found other ways to tire him out. Since we moved into our house my wife and I will sit at opposite ends of the basement and play keep away with a tennis ball. He'll chase after it back and forth until we run him into the ground. Of course the result of that is him constantly hanging out by the basement door, wanting to go down for play time, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Scrotos posted:

So I just bought a house and have always wanted a Pembroke welsh corgi, but I have 3 cats and was wondering if you guys could tell me if you thought 3 cats and a lovely corgi could get along?

I know that it would mostly be based around introductions and all that, but was wondering if anyone here has cats and a corgi or thinks that the corgi would just try to heard the cats all day and they would never get along.

I have already been talking for a year or so with one breeder, but am probably going to end up trying to rescue a Pembroke welsh corgi instead.

Going with a rescue is usually a wise choice. We bought Nacho from a breeder but adopted our other animals from rescues.

Nacho and Sushi (the cat) get along famously. Sushi is very much the boss of Nacho and they both know it. Nacho was 10 months old when we adopted Sushi, who was just 12 weeks old himself. It took a little while of working with Nacho before they were comfortable with each other, but now they're great. They don't hang out all that often, but any time Sushi feels like playing Nacho loves the attention. And now for cute puppy / kitty videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU1ywbJsv00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_GPrNTgjU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNNaRGB_pIk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3mdJrzcC0

• Locked thread