Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Well, decently bred purebreds actually are supposed to be in a specific range as size/ weight is considered a breed characteristic and anyone who is breeding dogs that don't really conform to that (like giant or teacup sizes) aren't really reputable breeders. Mixes are really going to be a crapshoot of traits between whatever the parents are, which is why you can never really tell until after a dog has grown up how large a mutt will be, what kind of coat it will have, and all the other things "designer dog breeders" try to sell people on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
That cat will indeed look down upon the pleb that is the formerly homeless rescue dog. The mixing of the classes never works.

But seriously, echoing what ZIMS is saying about rescues. I don't know why this keeps popping up all over the place in PI which is otherwise usually very well informed, but by no means is every dog in shelters/ rescues abused with millions of issues. Any decent rescue will know the dog's background, and if that is impossible they will at least know how the dog behaves currently. Every dog I've ever had including my current purebred corgi that I got when he was 8 weeks old has been a rescue, and none of them have had any issues with being abused. ZIMS currently has a rescue dog that has been living with her for months, AND she already knew how the previous owner had been handling the dog. For all intents and purposes, she knows that dog as well as her own (Dexter might as well be here own, really) so she can fully inform any potential owners about his personality.

I would personally always continue to advocate looking into adopting a homeless animal before going to a breeder, though I find no issue with going to a reputable breeder if you're really looking for something specific. (It took me about 2 years working with the rescue to happen upon Ace, but it is time I'm very glad I spent.)

There is only one dog that's been through my entire extended family (and we have a lot of crazy dog people in my family) that was a rescue with issues. My mom's last dog, Thelma, had very clearly been abused and is covered in scars. She's a beagle mix, and for a long time would howl in horror and run away if certain people approached. She wasn't social with other dogs a all and was terrified of most situations. A year later, and you'd never ever even know it, save for the scars... And there wasn't really much effort at all placed into her rehabilitation. She just needed time to be shown that people aren't evil after all and it's ok to be happy.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

White1ce posted:

Has anyone ever shaved their corgi before?

They shaved Ace's stomach and butt when he got fixed, and the fur in that area still hasn't grown back in right. It's very thin and very course feeling as opposed to the rest of his fur (was shaved ~3 months ago) and while it was short it drove him absolutely nuts and I had to keep the cone of shame on him just so he wouldn't chew his skin raw. I've heard it worked out for some people, but I can imagine that because of the coat of a corgi that it gets insanely itchy for them if they get shaved.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
How many of those rugs have been ripped up yet by that puppy. :3:

I also present- corgi lure coursing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqCdhsH34_c

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Seconding a food switch and maybe have a vet take a look. With all the crazy thick fur Ace has I can't imagine him getting bald spots. Does he seem itchy at all? It's most likely allergies of some kind, and generally food allergies will present this way.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
That breeder is a straight up BYB that just happens to buy champions. They're not improving the breed or proving anything they are pumping extra unneeded puppies in this world. There's tons and tons of corgi rescues out there if she's dead set, and imo if she isn't willing to fill out a little paperwork that just proves she has no business at all owning a dog of any kind.

Boo hoo it's a pain going to the vet and getting shots, and OH NO PAPERWORK!

If your friend is lazy to start with and thinks a corgi will fix her, she is very very wrong and she's going to have an insane ball of energy and frustration on her hands.

Can she deal with a dog that will most likely be OCD as all hell? Meaning, some days Ace decides that every tiny thing he can get his mouth on belongs in a pile in the middle or the living room. if anything is moved from said pile, it is carefully placed back.

Or, if he's dead set on killing something, he's been known to bypass entire OPEN bags of treats he loves, climb over a ton of furniture and destroy a single action figure. (gently caress you, Aquaman)

They need hours of mental and physical interaction and stimulation every day. If they don't get it they will very very quickly become destructive, loud, and nippy.

Edit: haha yeah that breeder doesn't even know the correct temperments/ breed standards even. Idiots.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Just to put emphasis on the energy, intelligence, and peristance that corgis have...

ButWhatIf posted:

Arthritis and no depth perception didn't stop him from going wild herding the family's goats or following me up and down the stairs and hopping on the bed to sleep with me at night.

If you don't know animals to be herded, be very prepared to need other activities for them to focus on, or they will invent their own which may no be good for you and your house.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Waiting for suitable surroundings and circumstances is the worst, believe me! If you're really hard up for a corgi fix, maybe get involved in a local rescue? Down here they have an annual corgi picnic to benefit corgiaid where there's usually 100+ dogs in attendance, and sometimes the rescues need simple things like people just interacting with them or giving walks every so often.

Edit: in case anyone in the Florida area is interested btw, here's the website for this year's corgi picnic. I probably won't be going due to work/ possibly moving though.

http://www.floridacorgipicnic.com/

That website is godawful but it's all for a good organization.

Edit2: Also today I bought Ace his first bag of big boy food! He'll be a year old around when I estimate his last bag of puppy food is done with, so I bought out Petco's supply of wellness core to transition to (they very rarely have it in and I'd prefer core to the super 5 mix, though super 5 mix is pretty good too.)

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 13, 2009

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Nah, didn't go last year as Ace had just been brought home a few weeks before and was not done with his shots. I didn't want to expose him to a ton of strange dogs on the off chance he got exposed to parvo or something.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah, if I'm still in state by that time I'll probably go, plus I'm curious to see what kind of crazy corgi kitsch will be up for auction. It's just looking likely that we'll still be around by then.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

xboobookittifkxx posted:

Here's a video I found on youtube of "Truman, breakin the law" It's quite cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

Holy gently caress this is my life seriously. 420 judas priest and corgis every day.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
High 5 coolaroo dog bed buddies!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace has one because he is a complete jerkass and eats all the nice fluffy comfortable expensive beds I bought him. He doesn't really ever sleep ON it, just UNDER it, or he uses a cold hard office chair as a pillow. It is also the favorite toy hiding spot, since he can't fit under the couch anymore and gets upset when they go under there and he can't reach them.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

lu lu lu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9YZpZAyU0g

Allison loves sucking head.

Wow, that really seems like it would be horrible in any other context.

Ace would just rip the raccoon's face off, he's a jerk.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace loves all people, so much so that he chills out with random strangers at the dog park more than other dogs.

What they don't know is that the second you're on the ground Ace will be in your face trying to eat your boogers. I'm sick of having my nose nipped. :(

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Most random people I meet think Ace is small too. They swear corgis are supposed to weight between 30 and 50 pounds.

He's not small he's just not a fat tub of lardass. :(

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace had a great xmas this year!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The Amish tend to mill the poo poo out of puppies, you met a classic miller. The fact that they didn't set up a better facade is funny because usually they bring the puppies in their house and at least pretend they aren't being reared in the cold barn with no vet care.

Why not try and find a corgi rescue? No idea where you are but there are a bunch over here in Jersey. You can find local rescues and even reputable breeders from the breed club site- http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
9thing the crate suggestion for Milhouse. Ace did FINALLY (so far) grow out of his "destroy random poo poo for no reason" phase, but during it our crate was a godsend. Even with it, he ate a foot diameter hole in the carpet, the doorframe of our front door, his own dog bed (several times), and 1 very unfortunant aquaman figurine. Aquaman was killed into tiny tiny little pieces despite an open bag of doggie cookies being CLOSER to get than he was. Ace just hated him I guess.

For his own safety, I recommend the crate, if only so all that random crap and drywall doesn't end up in his digestive system and make him sick.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
To be honest I hardly brush Ace these days... Only thing it really effects as far as his coat quality goes is the amount of coat that covers everything I own. It's probably diet/ general neglect.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I was really nervous when I first let Ace off leash at the dog park. Turns out he won't stray more than 10 feet or so away from me, to the point where -I- was running around just so -he- would run around.

Funny story from the other day actually...

My fiancee was walking him one night, and it had been raining for a few days straight beforehand. He was walking him barefoot down the sidewalk, and he noticed grass clippings covering the sidewalk as he walked past. He kept thinking the neighbors must've mowed... and then the "grass clippings" moved. He threw down the leash, screamed "WORMS!" and ran down the street back to our house. Ace's reaction? He howled, and ran down the street after him. They both banged into the front door head first at the same time. :downs:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

elf pr0n posted:

Does anyone's corgi do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeeaKiGve0s

Yes, oh god yes. For some reason this is called "giving spaghetti" as our house.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I've been feeding Ace wellness since he was a pup and we're both very happy with it. Wellness Just for Puppy when he was a youngin, and now Wellness Core or occasionally Super 5 Mix if Core isn't to be had. Ace likes to eat it by taking the individual kibbles out of his bowl, tossing them around the room and chasing them but he's a tard. In any case, I've been really happy with this food as Ace is a perfect weight, is super active and happy, and doesn't have any digestive or allergy issues. Every vet he's seen has commented on how healthy he is and how nice it is to see a corgi that isn't a total sack of lard.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
When I get worried Ace isn't eating I use his kibble as treats for doing tricks and things like that. I get him SUPER EXCITED and hold it in my hand so he can't see what I have and then BAM kibble treat. He's too busy being happy he's got ~a treat~ for doin good he doesn't know I just fooled him into working for something he has a huge pile of in his bowl.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Bizkitty posted:

My god, if ONLY my corgi was a picky eater! Her favorite is an occasional kitty turd so you can see what we have to deal with. Yuck!

Ace likes to make his own treats.

To quote Jake from Adventure Time- "There's a lot of interesting smells in poop."

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
9thing the "talk to the breeder" about which one to pick. Ace was a rescue but he came from a litter of 6 and I was able to pick whoever I wanted. The foster talked to me at length about the personalities of all of them and I didn't really even believe her at first. At 6 weeks they had a meet and greet where we could visit the litter... Ace was sitting there calmly in the middle of PUPPY CHAOS just staring at me. Other dogs were literally jumping on his head so they could be petted, and he was just kinda chilling out. As my boyfriend said "well he's either retarded or perfect." The jury is still out on that one but I'm happy with the perfect pup I got either way.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh yeah might as well share since I found this picture like, 2 days ago. Thanks to the magic of facebutt I have this pic of Ace on his first xmas (2008) and my little cousin torturing him.

It's crazy how quickly time passes.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Kerafyrm posted:

We had an Incident today. Some douche was letting his dog run free (I live in an apartment complex, so I have to take her out to potty in the place right outside) and this big dog (some sort of lab mix) comes barreling at her pretty aggressively, barking and growling. I had to snatch her up pretty quick by her collar since she was running around trying to get away from him and she cried and I felt like a terrible person. :( It probably wasn't the right way to handle it but I didn't want her getting barreled over and possibly hurt by some strange dog. I gave the dude a piece of my mind, though. Argh, people.

When I first got Ace we lived in an apt complex with all sorts of idiot aggressive big dogs that would roam a lot. Dumbass people thought opening their door and letting their dog cause problems= a walk!

So I perfected "the corgi lift" since we got bum rushed A LOT. One hand under the backside, one hand around/ under the shoulders or chest, lift above head. The only downside to this is the aggressive dogs would scratch my face trying to get at Ace but he was otherwise safe.

This is so much easier when they are a puppy by the way. ;o

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

MurderouslySly posted:

I just imagined little 100 pound me trying to lift 34 pound Marcus above my head in such a manner and LOL'd. Then I saw your last sentence.

Yeah, the best I can do these days is get him chest height/ drape him over my shoulder. Ace is surprisingly chill about this. It was a hilarious sight in any case.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace loses his mind barking at my sister in law. Constantly. He hears her in the house? Barking. Sees her walk by? Barking. Getting pets from her? Barking. We've tried really really hard to desensitize him to her, but it just isn't happening. The funniest thing is he loves to get attention from her but if he's in our room it's all LOUD NOISES.

Derp.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah you really have to make sure that puppy is exercised enough if you're going the apartment route, especially because corgis can be very very destructive and barky if they aren't stimulated enough. This is more so an issue in apartments due to bothering the neighbors and destroying your security deposit. Ace ate the door frame of our front door, a hole in a wall, and several decent sized chunks of carpet and I walked him 3-4 hours every day. They are very active dogs and this especially is true (and troublesome) when they are puppies. Ace is 2 now and he's still a big ball of energy compared to most dogs in the same age-range, but he know what's off limits and is 50 times calmer than he was as a puppy.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Acein ain't easy.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
He also likes to sleep half hanging off of things, like his body on the bed and his head and neck dangling off at a horrible angle. He freaked out my sister in law doing this, who thought he had fallen or something and snapped his neck. She apparently spent the better part of a day trying to come up with a way to let us know Ace was dead. Finally she went in and poked him and he was just sleeping. :downs:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace shuts down like that if something's stressing him (moving did it, being boarded and stuff like that) but after he's settled in he's just as greedy and excitable as normal. Maybe she just needs to adjust to her new surroundings?

She also might not be fond of the treats you're giving her, which also happens sometimes. There have been entire boxes of biscuits that we gave away to other people because some jerk dog snubbed his nose at them. Others (even same brand different flavor) were SUPER AWESOME.

If you want Ace to almost explode with excitement, have a carrot in your hand.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Oh my god all these puppy pictures.

I wish I won the lottery I would get all the corgis. Big house full of puppies. Puppppppiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Never, and I can only image how insanely badly behaved they would be, but I still want it for some reason.

Mainly because of those faces. Oh god corgi puppy faces.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace's 3rd birthday was yesterday so he got a 6 pack of bowser beer. Cock a doodle brew flavor.

He loved it. :3:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Corwin is adorable and you're a great photographer. I'm afraid me and my camera phone make Ace look nowhere near as cute as he really is.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Actually it's universally known that corgis are not good dogs for young children because they are nippy. They're herding dogs (not ratters) and rely on nipping heels to accomplish this. They're very high energy dogs and they need a lot of attention which may not be possible with young kids, as well. Without a lot of effort you wind up with a nippy, destructive dog.

Of course, your mileage may vary but that's a typical corgi. My dog has an unnatural love of small children and is amazing with kids in the 0-2 year range. He's weird though and loves when babies pull on his ears. Kids that are older he snaps into rough house mode, and he can get really nippy when he's excited.

Despite their size, you're looking at a very active, high maintience dog.

As far as your other pets? I wouldn't trust them out around each other running free or anything but I wouldn't worry about the cages. You should be crate training your dog (especially corgis!) so when you're out of the house the dog won't have a chance to get into anything. It would be like introducing any random pet to any random dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what Ace does with really little kids. Anything in the 4-9 year range is in trouble though, especially if they're eating cheetos!

Ace figured out he's GREAT at tripping little kids by walking in front of them and hip checking them. He times this for the exact moment they're hoisting a chip to their mouths. Bump! Oh hey a cheeto is suddenly on the floor, it must be mine...

They're clever little jerks.

• Locked thread