Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

coldplay chiptunes posted:

File>Library>Update iCloud Music Library
Thanks for this. Sure would've been nice to have it visibly somewhere on the iTunes interface instead of being hidden in a menu though. My initial issues with the new iTunes were most likely server issues and besides a few questionable design choices and album art fuckaridge, it's working fine for me now, Match and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why is the shuffle button visible next to the album cover when playing a song on iTunes but the repeat button isn't? It appears when I actually go into the menu and select it, then for "repeat one" or whatever but after that it disappears again. Bug?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Still weird but that helps, thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Weird little issue I've had with an album for a good while now: I have the three special edition versions of The Hobbit trilogy soundtracks, and they sort just fine chronologically under Howard Shore on iTunes, all three of them, but everywhere else (when the view is sorted alphabetically by album) one of them appears under "T" for "The" instead of "H" for "Hobbit" and I can't figure out why. I know iTunes disregards anything starting with "The" but with this one album it just doesn't for some reason.

For example, with iTunes Match (or iCloud Music or whatever it's called now) on my iPhone the first two soundtracks appear under "H" in the "Album" view but the third one is under "T". Why does it suddenly think the "The" is so important and how can I change it?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Minidust posted:

Check the sorting tab under "Get info" for the problematic tracks. There are optional metadata fields for sorting albums/songs/artists. By default, iTunes populates these fields when "The" or "A" is at the beginning of the entry (removing the article to fix the sorting). For whatever reason it sounds like that Hobbit album has "The" included in the sorting metadata. You should be able to fix that in iTunes or any third party tagging program, I'm just hoping the involvement of Match/iCloud won't be a problem.
I just checked, and under the sorting tab the problematic album did indeed have a "The" where the other two didn't and they started with "Hobbit" and the other one had "The Hobbit" there so I think that probably sorted it out. Thank you!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey thanks iTunes for throwing up a pop up message every 10 seconds that you can't access iCloud Music. Yeah, I get it. I said I get it. I GET IT SHUT UP.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to make iTunes play unsubscribed podcasts in order from the "feed" list? Am I missing an option or is it really designed so it plays them in reverse order?

E: Goes for the iPhone Podcasts-app, too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The app store wants to update my iTunes to 12.5.3 over and over again. Anyone else having this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Man, why do they change the "play next" list with every update. Now on Windows it's super awkward where you have to scroll down for one song to see it whereas before it didn't have a scrollbar at all. And also now if you mouse over any of the songs on the list a big blue "X" with a white circular background covers the entire album art and before it was just a tiny "x" in the corner.

Minor complaints I guess but just.. why?

E: Actual problem: My library is in iCloud, I use iTunes Match on my Windows PC but iTunes won't play certain songs. There are albums and songs I've bought from iTunes Store that iTunes tries to play while on shuffle but skips them after a second or two. Same when I try to manually play them. When I try to download the song, it gives me an error message (-206) and tells me to check my internet connection. This seems to be a problem with some purchased songs/albums only. I've tried to reauthorize my computer but it just says, obviously, that the computer is already authorized. :confused:

The songs play fine on other devices.

E2: Nevermind, just had to go to my purchases and redownload the tracks. Leaving this here in case anyone else has the issue/as a monument to my own stupidity.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 4, 2017

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to not have iTunes suddenly jump to the next podcast in a feed while one is playing? This keeps happening all the time, mostly when there's like a minute and a half left on a podcast.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rick posted:

setting the folder where your podcasts are in windows is writeable fixed it. No clue if this is still a fix but it's a place to start.

Gave this a shot, hopefully it works out, thanks!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mine sync up pretty randomly too, sometimes I have to forcibly update iTunes so it knows what I've listened to already and how much of certain podcasts I've already gotten through. The iOS podcast app is garbage now though, they really went from it being halfway decent before to unintuitive trash in iOS 11.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm about to unsubscribe from iTunes Match for a while and I'm downloading my library from iCloud to back it up in the meantime. But for no apparent reason iTunes refuses to download random songs and just aborts the download. One or two of the files are corrupted too, apparently. So how do I go about getting these songs downloaded before I lose them?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

jackpot posted:

I've been an iTunes Match customer for a while now and it's occurred to me that if this subscription ever lapses - or if they end the service, or I have to kill my account for some reason - I'm left with the vast majority of my music sitting out there in the cloud, not actually on any of my devices. Is it crazy that I'm sitting here in iTunes, downloading every artist and album (or at least the ones I like) so that I can put them on a thumb drive somewhere?

I just did that. My Match ends today and I had a few thousand songs uploaded. I read somewhere that it takes 30 days for them to clear them out after that but I doubt that's the case anymore. The lovely thing is that for no apparent reason about a dozen songs weren't "available" for download so they couldn't be listened to or downloaded and two songs were "corrupted" so I lost those.

So yeah, it's a good idea to have local backups of everything you have up in the cloud.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What is up with iTunes Match "losing" songs? I had my old Mac's library uploaded to Match perfectly yet on my new PC some songs just can't be accessed for.. no reason. It's only specific songs and I can't spot anything special about them why they'd get singled out like that. Are they just gone now? I can't access them on my phone either.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

This may be the wrong place for this, considering it’s on the mobile end, but what’s up with fast forward being locked to 30 seconds on the iPhone 11? I liked being able to skip the whole song, not have to unlock/screw with my phone. Likely me just being dumb but have not been able to figure a fix (some random tracks have the old buttons still, but very few).

Are the songs classified as podcasts or audiobooks? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have iTunes Match and I also have all of my songs downloaded as local files but even so from time to time iTunes decides that my computer doesn't have the authorization to play certain songs even after I log in through the prompt. Christ almighty why is this poo poo so broken?

Bonus(?) points for Match just randomly not being able to download songs forcing me to dig up old cd's and rip and sync them again.

Rinkles posted:

Why does the taskbar shortcut always break after an update? (windows 10)

It's pointless and annoying but a quick fix, thankfully (remove the shortcut, right click iTunes in the start menu -> add to taskbar.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Match is really good if your music is local and switch computers a lot. It has a ton of space to upload your music. The only downside is that sometimes there are some weird file mismatches or something and you have to delete/reupload (non-iTunes bought) music but I've had that on maybe 5 or 6 songs out of 6500+ so it's not a big deal.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seems like the latest Windows update might be bugged and results in the "iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes." error. Better hold off on updating just in case.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Anecdotal but I installed an update for 21H1 just last week (KB5005565) and iTunes still works fine over here. Nothing new when I check for updates.

This is the Windows Store version of iTunes tho

Interesting, I read that people had the issue with the Windows Store version too. I got it from the Apple Update when it popped up earlier today, like I usually do. I had to manually reinstall from the previous version to get it to work again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I read that too, it would make sense in my case. I hope it's confirmed so they can fix it and also because it would be a hilarious oversight.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's still 12.11.4 on the Apple Update thing it seems.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, the Apple Update now gives 12.12.1 which seems to work.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Match is its own thing, I think. I've had it for a few years and never touched Apple Music because it doesn't have a lot of the music I listen to and I like having physical files of my music somewhere. Match can be wonky at times but generally it works great.

And yeah Apple's gonna take it behind a shed sooner or later.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ugh, I installed iTunes on a new PC and I always forget how to sort the song list by both artist and year. I can only do one. The album view looks fine but not the song list. I've done it like a dozen times before but every time I reinstall iTunes I forget how I did it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

IUG posted:

Click to sort by Album, then click again. It becomes “Album / Year”.

You are a superstar. Thank you!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know if it's funny or sad how little support the Windows version of iTunes gets, it's like they're adamant to never add dark mode support to it.

Also it's a laggy pile of garbage all around but I'm locked to it because I subscribe to Match. :emo:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, if only it supported Match I'd use it too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just to report some stupid iTunes behavior; it seems to delete downloaded podcasts on a total whim. There have been a bunch of times I've downloaded an episode to listen to later without having to buffer it and when I come back to listen to it, it's just gone and I have to download it again. Sometimes this happens literally while I'm listening to it.

Also how the gently caress is the default behavior of the podcast section of iTunes "play from newest to oldest" like who in their right mind does that?

This isn't even a complaint really because I know they'll never fix it, it's just one of those profoundly stupid design things.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know why I still rely on iTunes for podcasts. It occasionally syncs with my iPhone sure, but on PC it is utter garbage. Trying to access the store takes at least two tries, you can't localize the store, trying to subscribe to a podcast just errors out unless you download an episode and subscribe through your library, and the order in which podcasts play makes no sense at all.

On top of that, downloaded episodes randomly get deleted, even while listening to them and playback just suddenly stops. It's so bad. I mean it's clear how little of a poo poo they give since PC iTunes has never even gotten a dark mode but this is just pathetic.

I've tried other apps but they're either behind a paywall or won't sync at all with the Podcast app on my iPhone which is the main thing I want while PC iTunes only does it when it feels like it.

TACD posted:

I want the play order to be “oldest to newest from the point at which I subscribed to the podcast, and newest to oldest for episodes earlier than that”. Which sounds insane but I am sure is the best way to jump into a non-narrative podcast with a multi-year backlog

This is madness.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Giving the new Win11 Apple Music Preview app a try and.. it sure is a Preview. I mean, the UI is slick and very close to the iOS app, it feels considerably snappier than iTunes PC has in years, supports iTunes Match beautifully and perhaps most importantly: It has a dark mode (!!)

But it's pretty light on features iTunes has -- there is no Apple Podcasts app for Windows as of yet so if you used iTunes for podcasts, you're out of luck. Also no support for hardware by the looks of it so no iPhone updates or backups and obviously no interaction with older hardware like iPods.

Also it's rather buggy. UI elements can be unresponsive, the equalizer is presets-only even though it looks interactable and other small things.

So yeah, it's nice that it exists but it has ways to go yet. An iTunes killer on PC this ain't.

Until Apple just drops support for PC iTunes I guess.

E: Just noticed that opening iTunes while the Apple Music Preview is installed turns iTunes into a podcast/audiobook only app and flat-out denies access to your music library. Welp, deleting it and sticking with iTunes.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 15, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

iTunes on Windows really is a loving masterpiece; it randomly deletes downloaded podcast episodes for seemingly no reason. If you don't get back to it after a few hours, they're just gone, but also while you're listening to it. iTunes just suddenly stops playback and deletes the episode. Doesn't matter if you're subscribed to the podcast, if you have it set on "delete after listening" or not, it just does it, randomly. Great app.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

withak posted:

They want you to buy a Mac OP.

Judging from when I had a Mac for 10 years, it's not much better over there. If there was a decent alternative for iTunes Match I'd drop iTunes in a heartbeat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't have those problems with the Music app (on PC) and in a lot of ways it's better than iTunes; it's way smoother, faster, has a dark mode (wow) and supports Match, but it doesn't support devices or podcasts which is remarkably dumb and render it pretty useless compared to iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Last Chance posted:

iTunes is essentially abandonware at this point. It’s been replaced by Apple Music from the Microsoft Store.

That’s where the new dark mode is. If you upgrade, be cautious because iirc iTunes and Apple Music cannot coexist and use the same library files.

You can still use iTunes for device/pocasts/audiobooks, but the music section is completely gone because it's in Music now. It's so dumb.