Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, just tell them what's up and they'll do it for you immediately. I've done it a few times when I had to reload Windows back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thank god they brought the sidebar back. I lived my life in the Playlists view and I'm extremely glad that they cleaned up the UI and made that the default view again. Very happy with this update.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Because it's more organized that way, and better. I'm glad they're continually improving iTunes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tankadillo posted:

I like to switch between albums, genres, and playlists a lot, so this update drastically reduced the number of clicks I need to use on a daily basis. Thanks, iTunes :thumbsup:

Yep, same. Overall a good update. iTunes still needs a little work, but they really seem to be listening to user feedback and this update proves it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Thanks for the advice all; I tried everything recommended and still wasn't able to easily sort anything out so I went about it the long way, dragging folders of artists in chunks, sorting through a 1-day 'recently added' playlist, and comparing any duplicate tracks by albums. Luckily the vast majority of stuff in the old folder was already in my library and was thus not added, so I was able to free up a pretty significant amount of space :toot:

Got another question: if I rate an album, can I turn off the 'feature' where all unrated tracks default to what I rated the album as? I want to make some smart playlists using album ratings but when I do that, any unrated tracks get the album rating and then end up in my Top Rated playlists which I don't want to happen.

Not sure if I understand correctly, but does making the smart playlist based on Album Rating instead of just Rating make a difference?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Hey guys we've got this new thing where every empty page of your diary will be filled with stuff we reckon you might have written there. Also a new bit of code that assesses every sentence you type and identifies those that you meant to end with an exclamation mark, but for some reason didn't.

Like what's the point of ratings if they're not mine?

What?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Album ratings are useless if you want to use song ratings, and vice versa. iTunes automatically calculates an average album rating as you rate songs (whether you've rated all the songs or not). If you rate the album, it auto-rates all unrated songs in the album.

Yeah, because if you rated the whole album five stars meaning the whole thing is good, then yeah every song is good. Makes sense to me?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Do you have iCloud Music Library turned on in iTunes? I've never had an issue with iTunes syncing Podcast subscriptions across devices wirelessly. It even remembers my place in individual podcasts across devices, so if I start listening in iTunes, I can continue to listen on iOS.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes Match?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

keevo posted:

Can you not delete songs from your library if you're looking at it in a playlist? I was trying to delete a song when I was in a playlist but I couldn't get the "Delete from library" thing to pop up unless I was looking at the entire library.

it shows up for me in playlist view

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

keevo posted:

That's weird. It's not showing up for me.

Ohh it's because yours is a smart playlist. My smart playlists don't have it either. drat

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

Go to the "songs" view, play a song, and turn on shuffle?

This or right-click "Songs" in the sidebar and click shuffle

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have several songs that have specific start times and iTunes Match seems to respect that setting.

decypher posted:

ASAIK, iTunes Match doesn't precache any songs automatically or anything like that so it should only use data when you're actually listening to music.

When streaming songs, the music app will precache the next song in the playlist when you start reaching the end of the current song.

decypher posted:

It will keep local copies of songs you stream, you can view and delete them under Storage > Music. Of course, you can also elect to download playlists or albums on wifi for playback later.
Sort of. When you play a song once, the music app will cache it for as long as possible and will eventually be flushed out if more space is required, but it won't necessarily be considered "downloaded" and won't show up in that Storage->Music list. If you specifically ask for it to be sync'd/downloaded, it will stay on the phone.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Help me create a Smart Playlist, goons. I want to have it display the last 150 tracks added, regardless of how long ago they were imported to iTunes. I'm looking at the options and I know it's doable, but my small mind can't get the right settings.

I have almost the exact same thing except it's last 200 tracks added, here's a screenshot of the settings:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I would be curious to see if the same thing happens on a Mac because I'd probably chalk it up to iTunes for Windows just not being up to snuff with Windows' localization APIs or something

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

In my experience, iTunes Match NEVER deletes local music from a library, no matter how hosed up the cloud library is.

It will most likely attempt to match your local library to what portion of the library was uploaded to iCloud and then it'll assume any songs you have locally that aren't in the cloud will need to be uploaded/matched, not deleted in order to, say, mirror the more empty, "bad" library in the cloud.

Of course this is just sort of an educated guess at what'll happen in that situation, I can't say with 100% certainty.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

So, uh, is play count broken on 12.7?

No

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Arivia posted:

View > Column Browser.

note: only works in the "Songs" sidebar item

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Did you turn off your iCloud library? AM may still be active, and you can’t sync from iTunes if iCloud library is active.

yes, this is the key. Turning iCloud Music Library off in iOS Settings -> Music -> iCloud Music Library will take you back to old school auto syncing with one computer instead of thru iCloud

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ahhh the “how do I get my songs off my iPod or iPhone” question. A question as old as time. You have to use a third party “phone browser” style app on your Mac. Though I’m not sure which ones are best these days

E: actually I think I misunderstood. As long as the songs are in your iTunes library, they should sync.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've been looking for a way to do with that for ages cause my lovely bluetooth receiver's mic sux. Every iOS update I poke around the accessibility settings hoping they'd add a preferred mic or something, but nope. :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I doubt Apple has touched the code for Wi-Fi syncing in almost a decade

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IUG posted:

Yeah, Apple took out Podcasts and some other stuff out of iTunes a few versions back.

They didn't remove Podcasts from iTunes. Unless you're talking about Music.app. I'm really confused because I'm listening to a Podcast in iTunes right now on my Mac :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Minidust posted:

I guess I'm the minority but I still get a lot of use out of it. Even on PC! iTunes + iPhone Remote app + 3 Apple TVs = low effort house party... I love how easy it is to just add Apple TVs as extra playback devices.

Same. I love AirPlaying stuff to my bedroom + living room apple TVs at the same time. I never seem to have the insurmountable issues (library-erasing or otherwise) people have with iTunes / Apple Music :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Minidust posted:

iTunes's ability to toggle multiple broadcast targets (e.g. the original computer and 2 Apple TVs) is really neat. Are there any other Apple products that do this?

AirPlay 2 is supposed to do this with iOS devices as a main draw, but it has been repeatedly delayed :(

Right now iTunes is it for that sorta thing.

Minidust posted:

Or what about products that at least support the receiving end - I know about Apple TVs obviously, I believe there's one of the Airport products too, anything else?

HomePod :obama:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ITunes Match has never been a backup service, Apple says as much. Its purpose is to sync music between machines, not be the only copy of the music you have. If you’ve deleted original library, hen you absolutely should download all of the songs you can locally.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

jackpot posted:

Right, but if I'm using something that lets me have my entire library on demand but not downloaded, that's a backup service. I mean I know what you're saying, and I know why they use that language, but it's not crazy that people treat it like Google Drive, considering they're functionally the same.

At any rate, I'm definitely downloading.

For sure, I’ve definitely treated it like that too when I bought a new machine and didn’t want to migrate my crusty old library over when Match would essentially do it for me. So I get it, buuuuuuuut Google Drive is also not a backup solution. It’s a sync solution sorta like Match.

Don’t use sync solutions as backups, or depend on them wholly for valuable data

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 14, 2018

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah iTunes doesn't do 4k videos.

Dunno if it could even handle it. I'm hoping Apple will eventually separate out movies + TV in macOS as a separate TV.app or something, and give us 4k with a shiny new app. But Idk

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

and they have no plans to bring the new stuff over.

The article doesn't say that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

This may be the wrong place for this, considering it’s on the mobile end, but what’s up with fast forward being locked to 30 seconds on the iPhone 11? I liked being able to skip the whole song, not have to unlock/screw with my phone. Likely me just being dumb but have not been able to figure a fix (some random tracks have the old buttons still, but very few).

Huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

And if you’re a Luddite and decide you want to support an artist by buying their album on iTunes after you’ve already added it via Apple Music, sometimes it will help fully remove the album art for you likely due to a weird edge case!

You’ll be glad you spent that :10bux:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If I'm understanding this right, I've had weird poo poo happen if I replaced a file that was in an iTunes library folder with another file with the same name. I don't remember exactly what happened, but this conversation sounds familiar. IIRC iTunes Match doesn't really like a file being replaced either

e: pretty sure i misunderstood the iTunes post and complained about the inverse happening

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 23, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

An Apple Music subscription will also upload and sync tracks not available on the service. It does encumber them with DRM that makes the songs unavailable if you unsubscribe.

iTunes Match does the same thing except no DRM, and yeah it will probably be dead one day :(

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 14, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WerthersWay posted:

Does it come with an Apple Music subscription? I see on Apple's website that iTunes Match is a subscription but I never signed up for it.

Again, an Apple Music subscription will match and upload your music that's not on the service but the resulting files have DRM on them like all Apple Music files do.

iTunes Match is a yearly subscription to do the matching thing except it lets you download the songs without DRM and keep them forever, even if you dump Apple Music and/or iTunes Match.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I am not upgrading to iTunes on my windows machine until they force me off. I even uninstalled the Microsoft store version and installed the version straight from Apple’s website in case they try to do something sneaky with MS store auto updates.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it does feel like a different world. Gonna be super bummed if they pull the plug on Match ;(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

iTunes is essentially abandonware at this point. It’s been replaced by Apple Music from the Microsoft Store.

That’s where the new dark mode is. If you upgrade, be cautious because iirc iTunes and Apple Music cannot coexist and use the same library files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Does it only disable if you also have Apple Music installed (I don't)?

Yeah that’s how I understand it