Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Have you tried taking ownership of the file?

Edit: In case you don't know how, there's a commandline command, and a feature in our very own xenomorph's xdn tweaker (google it) to add "take ownership" to the context menu.

Was having the exact same problem as Dogen this past few days. Not sure if it was related to an updated version of NOD32 or the fact I was playing from iTunes while backing it up to another drive, but hopefully this will fix it. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dogen posted:

Also on that subject I had another annoying lovely problem when I did my clean install of Windows 7, I installed NOD32 first thing and I ended up having all sorts of crazy problems after installing a few other programs, like they would launch as a process but a window would never come up. I restored back to before I had installed NOD32 (essentially to right where I had installed on a freshly formatted drive) and installed other poo poo and it seemed to fix it. Maybe there is some bad juju in the latest NOD32 update, though it's probably just a coincidence.
Dunno dude - installing x64 NOD32 4.0.467.0 seems to roughly coincide with the problems I was having. Although sticking the iTunes folder in the Exceptions list didn't have any effect. I've used the solution where I Take Ownership of the iTunes folder on the back of Xenomorphs's XDN Tweaker, and so far so good. Since NOD32 3.0 was released though, it does have a history of messing with weird poo poo every now and again, especially with Vista.

Edit: poo poo, taking ownership of the iTunes folder didn't work. Ah well, I'll just have to put up with this bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 10, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Morganus_Starr posted:

I know iTunes is running an ituneshelper background task, and also some Bonjour service or something. Is there a way to disable these? Do I really need them running constantly? I doubt they affect performance much but it still bothers the OCD part of me.

Sorry of this has been mentioned before, didn't see it in the OP.
Bonjour allows applications like iTunes and Safari to advertise and discover services on the local network. Having Bonjour running enables you to connect to hardware devices like Apple TV and software services like iTunes sharing and AirTunes. If you disable Bonjour, any network service that explicitly depends on it will fail to start. iTunes helper doesn't do poo poo in my experience.

In Windows Vista/7, type services.msc into the search box, and select services. Scroll down to Bonjour, hit Properties, then click Stop and change Startup type to Manual.

To disable iTunesHelper, type msconfig into the Start menu search, go to the Startup tab, then clear the box beside iTunes.

To do this in XP, just type those commands into the Run dialogue. In any event, on the next restart you won't have either of those things running in the background.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

It's also worth noting that there's a surprisingly large amount of applications that use the Bonjour service, so be prepared to re-enable it if things start acting wonky.
If the Startup type is set to Manual does that not mean it starts up if it's needed?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 5, 2010

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

How can I make a smart playlist that will play the 50 most recently-added tracks regardless of how long ago they were added? The default one only includes ones based on a fixed timescale.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

IUG posted:

You don't even need anything for the rules, so I guess you can uncheck it.

Jesus Christ how did I miss that for so long? Thank you very much.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Where can I download iTunes 32-bit? They used to link to both but now I can only get x64.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every time I plug in my iPod touch, since installing iOS 5 it always has to sync Genius data, even though my Genius data hasn't changed since last sync. This has added a couple of minutes to my sync. Any idea why it would be doing this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Got no response from this on the iPod touch thread, so trying here.

My iPod syncs new songs every single time I plug it in, stuff that should be on the iPod already. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the songs it syncs so I cant check if it's just resyncing them or if they're missing from the iPod. It also syncs new Genius data even though nothing new has been added and nothing has changed. Syncing my iPod with iOS 5.0.1 has now become a 5 minute effort where it used to be 30 seconds or so when I was using iOS 4.

Any suggestions?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 22, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

IUG posted:

Have you tried doing a restore on it?

Yes, but I can only restore to 5.0.1. I've tried to revert to iOS 4 but none of the tutorials found through Google work.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's the smart playlist options for the last 200 most recently added songs?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheers goons, much appreciated.

Been having a problem for a few years now with iTunes: it repeatedly syncs about 100 songs every time I connect my iPod touch (3rd gen), and they appear to be the same 100 songs even though nothing about them has changed. It also syncs across Genius data even though there's been no change there either. I wiped the library back in December and imported everything again, which helped for a while, but now it's happening again.

Any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 2, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

Do you listen to the songs? Your iPod syncs metadata back about songs you listen to into iTunes.

Some of them but it seems to be the exact same number of songs each time.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

I can't decide if I should put up with 11's garbage interface or downgrade back to 10.7, because holy gently caress why they'd change everything?

You can change it back to look very similar to 10 if you show the sidebar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

Once, just once I would like to be able to install an iTunes update without having to manually download, manually remove, and manually install.

Why do you have to do this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Also, when you first start iTunes from its shortcut, hold down shift while clicking it. It'll ask you to choose your library, so choose the one you've backed up.

Before that though, go into the iTunes/iTunes Media folder, and then double-click into each of the main folder there (ie Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc.). You may get a UAC prompt saying you need permission to continue in some of them - click Yes or OK or whatever.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Geight posted:

If I have a bunch of music on my iphone that was synched to an older hard drive that is busted and gone, am I totally screwed if I want to use itunes with my iphone and keep that music on it? It says it's synched with a different library and will clear out all the music if I try to sync with this one. A lot of the music is old and ripped from CDs so they aren't like attached to my itunes account or anything.

Try iFunbox:

http://www.i-funbox.com/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

Thanks, got that U2 album removed. But it still won't let me add any new songs. Itunes removed all music, and still says my storage is full (I only had music on the phone, no games / apps). And when I go into music, nothing is there.

My dad has recurrent issues with iTunes dumping his stuff. It's usually fixed by deleting the iTunes Library database and then reimporting all the music into a clean database.

Make sure you back your music up separately beforehand if you do that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skilleddk posted:

I don't have anything in the itunes library, I still use windows media player on my pc lol. But when I plug in my phone itunes says 14gb is used by "other" stuff, and it won't let me add any music. Any idea how to fix it?

Reset your iPhone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Heads up for anyone getting 8.4 - it mucked up my iPod touch 5th generation. Corrupted something or other and made my music inaccessible, and told me I had 25GB too much data on on it, which makes no sense to me.

Restoring now anyway. You might not want to run the update if you're just about to go out.

Edit:

Skilleddk posted:

Could not restore because there is not enough space :suicide:

There's literally nothing on the phone that takes any space

edit: looks like this

as I said, no photos, apps, music, nothing on the phone. iphone 4s in case it matters

Tap Settings> General> Reset> Erase all Content and Settings.

I just wiped my iPod and it got mucked up trying to restore from the last backup I had, so I'm having to set it up as a new iPod.

Apple :argh:

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 30, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I sort of fixed my problem. Turns out, the XML file was there all along, but after launching iTunes it would delete the file after a few seconds. So this time I copied all my stuff over (including the XML) and made a mad dash to go to Import Playlist and selected the XML. All the music seems to be there as far as I can see. I know I had approximately 7,700 songs in there and it's around that amount now.

Dreading doing a new sync again, had a miserable time of that when setting up this phone as a new device and running the iOS 9 beta makes me worried it'll be even worse!

In future, copy the contents across into the new iTunes folder. Press and hold shift as you click the iTunes icon and it will ask you to choose a library. This assumes you're on Windows.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

iTunes 12.2.2.25 is out.

quote:

This update includes the following improvements:

• Click the Beats 1 banner to see what’s currently on, or view a complete broadcast schedule so you never miss a show
• You can now view a list of the artists you’re following on Apple Music
• Resolved an issue where iTunes loses its place when you go back to a previous page in Apple Music
• Addressed a problem where artists may be sorted incorrectly in My Music
• Fixed a problem where playlists displayed in the action menu may not match the playlists in your library

Still no fix for the double iTunes icon in the taskbar in Windows 10 though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any way to have iTunes Visualiser appear on my second screen only? iTunes already opens on my second screen by default but when I open the program, but when I start the Visualiser it blacks out screen one, and plays the visualisation on screen 2.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Help me create a Smart Playlist, goons. I want to have it display the last 150 tracks added, regardless of how long ago they were imported to iTunes. I'm looking at the options and I know it's doable, but my small mind can't get the right settings.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Last Chance posted:

I have almost the exact same thing except it's last 200 tracks added, here's a screenshot of the settings:

A thousand thank-yous!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

12.6 seems to be a minor revision but the installer is dozens of megabytes larger. Any idea what that's about?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Try https://m.en.softonic.com/app/i-funbox

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blue Scream posted:

Yeah, exactly. The iTunes library that used to be on my PC got wiped, so all of my non-purchased music (of which there was a lot) is gone. I still have everything on my phone, but as you say, can't seem to move it from place to place. Does anybody have recommendations for such a third party program?

Try iFunbox.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

how do I un-gently caress my library after changing the drive letter for all the songs? nothing else about the path is different, just the drive letter.

can I change the library .itdb(?() file itself somehow? like gently caress i'm actually updating all these things.

If you're on Windows, hold Shift while you're clicking the iTunes icon til it prompts for the new Library location, then point it at the new Library.

I think the equivalent on MacOS is Option or Command.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

no, my problem is that my old library thinks all my songs are found in the D:/ drive, when they are now all found on the E:/ drive. I need to update the drive letter of all the songs in my library.

What did you use to edit the XML file?

Can you change the drive letters around to make life easier?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Game-Blouses posted:

I recently got a new computer and have attempted to transfer my iTunes library (all music) over without a lot of success. I'm trying to go for seamless continuity. I think in a nutshell, that I pretty much created a new library rather than moving my existing one over. I backed up all my songs and moved them over to the new computer. I also exported my library and playlists. Originally the playlists did not transfer over, but when I manually exported them and brought them in, they did work.

When in iTunes on the new computer, all of my songs in the library are selected, or "checked off." In my previous library I had tons that were not selected or checked off. Also, pretty much every album was given it's own playlist. I'm pretty sure I tried moving over the music first, then importing the library file and vice versa.

I tried reading the OP, but admittedly not the entire thread. I also read various articles. I was able to do this years ago without issue, but apparently my computer savvy has since degraded. Do you have any suggestions on how I can keep my library intact on the new computer?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201625

Restore your Library from a backup I think is the section you need.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mfny posted:

So I have an issue with a recent iTunes movie purchase.

When playing the movie the "menu" of the movie (i.e for the iTunes extras) flashes intermittently on the screen.

Anyone know what is up with this ?

Mac? PC? iTunes version?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I don't see an Apple Music Preview thread for Windows so I'm trying my luck here (I'll probably cross--post to another thread too).

I want to try out the above app on my Windows 11 machine but it refuses to add any songs from my library. Any idea why this is?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I haven't been able to import any music into anything other than iTunes for some reason. I've tried Apple Music and Cider but they won't list anything in my iTunes folder, and if I copy music into another folder on a different drive they still don't see it. Unless anyone has any ideas here I'm going to format my machine and hope that I can drive that evil out of here.

After all, it's only x years until the new Winamp client is good to go.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I need help with Apple Music on Windows - I'm not able to import my locally stored iTunes library, and my Google-fu has failed me. Everything works as normal in iTunes itself. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I don't seem to be able to add my locally stored music to Apple Music on Windows. Any thoughts?