Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conquistador posted:

32 fixer on rk1 here; how the heck am I supposed to make credits at this level? Getting tired of craptastic weapons and my treat suit :(

I was having this same problem. Blitz your nanos/weapons/armor, save credits for implants and unblitzable stuff. Level on stuff that drops pearls, sell pearls for credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
As a new player you can roll your pets/weapons simply because you don't have the means to twink into excessively high level stuff. You can generally roll missions that are ~2x your level, do a bit of twinking into that item and be good to go.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fewd posted:

I got similar love-hate relationship with AO. Rage part must wait though since I feel compelled to sub a month after this free one runs out.

I love this game, but it's really hard to justify paying $15 a month for a 9 year old game with very few players and an ancient engine that doesn't cope well with modern machines.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

blackmanjew posted:

If you have a computer that can handle browsing SA, you have a computer that can handle AO.

Being able to play AO on my phone would be the best thing.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Out of curiosity I checked my account status and apparently my account is playable through November of 2012 before another payment is due. Now I need to download the client and figure out what is going on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nope, I made a new froob account just to be sure. Froob accounts say Account Type:Free at the top, while this account is 'Normal.' The account was also made in 2003, and I don't think you could make froob accounts back then.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well got the game installed and patched. Logged into the account and it works fine, it's the full game with all expansions. Gonna play around with it for awhile and see what's what.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Every once and awhile I hop onto this game to see if my account still works.

Still going strong, hasn't asked me for a payment since 2008. Maybe I won a contest or something and nobody told me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bigfatspacko_uk posted:

Agreed. I think pretty much all anyone wants from Funcom is AO2.

There's no way Funcom could pull it off. Everyone in this thread has played Funcom's 'patches' for AO and some of you have tried their more recent MMO outings. AO was a fluke and there's no way Funcom is capable of remaking it for modern systems without ruining what made it so fun to play.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
With the apparent massive dropoff in people playing lately has there been any word from Funcom about killing the server or a server merger? I cannot comprehend why they still have the server split in 2 with such a tiny fanbase.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conskill posted:

I would not define it as 'lots' by any stretch, but RK1 is still populated.

The most recent update is talking about finishing up internal tools to convert the playfields to the new engine. God only knows what their development roadmap is (or if they have one).

Is there any real word on this New Engine? All I've ever seen about it is 'it's coming.'

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tyshalob posted:

The new Game Director has announced she's leaving and they haven't announced who her replacement will be. I know the game is cash flow positive and all, but with Lindelu and Kintaii leaving I'm having serious doubts about the future of Anarchy Online.

Everytime I see this thread gets a new post I think oh god they've finally released the graphical update. One day I'll finally accept that it's never coming out, probably when they turn the servers off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conquistador posted:

Was poking around today and apparently theyre merging rk1 and 2 finally.. Hmmmm.

Only about 6 years later than they should have, about time. I'll have to login and see if my account still works/is bugged.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well tried to login to my account today and they finally de-activated it after 7 years of not paying them.

:( What a shame, I played it last summer and it worked great.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Drop the price already holy poo poo.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
All the activity in this thread is making me want to resub. :negative:

Which side do most goons play on? I always played clan but a change of pace could be nice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kenlon posted:

They're actually talking about starting up a closed beta for the "new" engine soon.

Maybe it'll actually happen.

Bullshit.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Peechka posted:

Looks like you are right. They officially announced it today on their forums. Beta test incoming.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=607346

Well I hope they invite me so I can see this 'new engine' they've spent the last ~6 years on instead of making a new game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm not going to believe this does a thing except make the grass greener until I see it with my own eyes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dizz posted:

Is ToTW still a thing? gently caress that dungeon. gently caress wanting all the cool loot that dropped off the big loving bosses in that shithole. gently caress all those cultist trains. gently caress all those cultist adds. gently caress all that noise. it's what literally stopped me from playing multiple times [started a sniper, quit and made a fixer [i think. those grid armor dudes who could make robo pets?. never got to use that neither.], quit him a bit after and then made an adventurer and played that as a subscribed member for a month before getting locked.

I'm thinking of playing again as a fr00b idiot just for the hell of it but i don't know what I want to make this time.

Just wait for the new engine to come out of beta.

:cawg:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dizz posted:

Is there just one server now? I can't find a server select anymore.

Yeah they got rolled together a few months back, best move Funcom has made in years.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is 'new engine' code for 'we're going F2P' because gently caress paying $15 for this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well gently caress me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fewd posted:

TSW type business model would definitely be my favourite. It's basically completely optional to pay, but the bigger content patches cost something like 10-15 bucks. Of course that'd mean they'd get no money from AO because... yeah, when did they put out last meaningful content patch again?

Well they've got the engine update (allegedly) coming out which they've been promising for like 6+ years. If they release that and then don't do anything else for AO they'd be insane.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ahmeni posted:

Got an email saying if I bought 6 months I'd get bet access in January or if I bought a whole year I'd get across right away.

Who is running this terrible circus? Did they hire some people from EA?

You'd also get 60 days free and 12 hours of +50% exp! What a deal!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BadLlama posted:

Do they have any recent screenshots for the overhaul? The last ones I remember seeing were from like 2010 and it made the game go from a 1999 game to a 2003 game.

I wish they made Anarchy Online 2 instead of Age of Conan or TSW (TSW was alright at least).

They sent out 2 images from the beta with the email trying to trick you into paying them $100 to play anarchy online.

The first thing I thought is it looks like Morrowind when you spend a few hours modding in new textures and shaders.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
:rip: Anarchy Online.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lazyhound posted:

I played this back in like 2003 and all I remember is finding some ultra-rare item that sold for enough to gear five or six characters from scratch to level 200. I should resub to see if my MMO fortune is still intact before the servers get seized or whatever.

e: And also running some level-gated dungeon frantically trying to find a bind-on-pickup skill book that could only be found there before I levelled up too much to enter. EXCELLENT GAME DESIGN.

They added a checkbox that allows you to stop gaining experience to fix that... eventually!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It'll be out of closed beta by 2016 when funcom goes bankrupt and shutters AO.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fewd posted:

I didn't! I'm alright again :shobon:

Friend called me a stupid oval office and then shittalked AO until I didn't want to play it any more. True friends that go all the way like that are rare. Also I took a quick look at AO sub prices and it's 18.5€ a month :lol:

They never dropped the price, a month costs the same now as it did 10 years ago. Biggest impediment to playing IMO.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What the gently caress is going on in here, didn't anyone tell you this game is dead? Stop before I resub.

:rip:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:what:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
What faction are you idiots playing on.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ryen Deckard posted:

Did the engine update ever release for this?

They made the grass greener that one time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

14 years in the making and I can still just jump through the ceiling.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Clans have a ~18% exp bonus vs what, 7% for omni?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've never seen anyone chatting in the bot.

The dailies are a fantastic addition to the game, its so nice to be able to login for 10 minutes and get a level every day.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ineptitude posted:

How good are those dailies for leveling?

Like can you get to 220/30 at a decent pace? (Not taking 20 missions for the last level, or similar) and can you solo them?

I have been itching to play this game again and hit the level caps on my character, but remembering how much time i spent having to find a group to do any kind of leveling is stopping me from resubbing.

Just did a daily at 140 and it's the first time I haven't leveled from turning it in. There's 3 kind of dailies, rk ai and team. The rk and ai dailies take less than half an hour and are generally super easy. The team mission wants you to go kill a bunch of mobs in a dungeon so it can be hard to finish solo but you get partial credit as you kill so it's not bad.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm going to roll a goddamn engi just to tradeskill my own stuff, it's impossible to get anything made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A built beamer would be 20+ mil, less if you spend the time tracking down someone to tradeskill it. SMG is like 150+ :lol:

Echoing farming Predator armor, it's decent for your level and the parts you don't need sell quite well which you can use to either buy parts you're missing or to help get implants/weapons.

• Locked thread