Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanks. They gave me a note 5 when I started then a note 8 and then the small screen pixel, same work and brand of cases but only broke the screen on the pixel.

I thought I was missing something when they announced it but $70 a month is not enough and I don't feel like I should pay the difference. I have Mint on my own phone and run into coverage issues and slow speed only sometimes so I guess prepaid it is unless they want to bump up the reimbursement amount. I think the idea was that you can do everything with teams using your personal phone because 5g is a thing everywhere they have ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SpeedFreek posted:

Thanks. They gave me a note 5 when I started then a note 8 and then the small screen pixel, same work and brand of cases but only broke the screen on the pixel.

I thought I was missing something when they announced it but $70 a month is not enough and I don't feel like I should pay the difference. I have Mint on my own phone and run into coverage issues and slow speed only sometimes so I guess prepaid it is unless they want to bump up the reimbursement amount. I think the idea was that you can do everything with teams using your personal phone because 5g is a thing everywhere they have ever been.

Sure thing, yeah end of the day it’s just price vs what you get , I personally would be surprised if you saw better coverage with Mint than a Verizon Bus line, but hey, if you’ve been happy with Mint and it’s been good enough just go for that, just buy the phone unlocked or used or whatever.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SpeedFreek posted:

In a month the company phone will be canceled and I have to port the number to my own device or get a second phone. Currently the company phone is a pixel 5 on verizon, I learned to hate the pixel mostly for its small fragile screen size and lack of stylus and verizon for only having 5g in a few places. I'll be getting $70 a month for the work phone, what carrier has the best rural nationwide coverage and will give me at least 10gb of hotspot data per month in that budget?

For phones if I want a stylus it looks like a used Note is the only decent option, I could live without one but it was really nice for marking up pictures and drawings without having to take out the laptop every time. If I'm willing to give up on having a stylus what else has a decent size screen and can survive a 1m drop in a case without the screen spiderwebbing?

Rural coverage is going to vary greatly by specific rural area. For the longest time, my parents' best coverage option was US Cellular, and I would recommend them to literally nobody.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I'm out in the sticks and it's AT&T or nothing out in my particular rural area.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Samuel Glompers posted:

I'm in Canada, on Public Mobile, and I desperately want to get rid of my smart phone. My one desire is a full keyboard so I can at least reply to texts quickly, since I never was especially quick with T9.

That's proving to be a big challenge. I tried going back to a Nokia e71 but I didn't do my research thoroughly enough, turns out Canadian 3g infrastructure was canned in 2022 and with it any hope of using the li'l fella

Is there a qwerty feature phone / dumb phone that will still function in 2024? Praying someone can say yes

I'm two months late to this, but I was in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I had to concede and get a T9 flip phone for $25 on eBay. Though my life did get better disconnecting from a smartphone.

Try dumbphonefinder.com to see if there's something you can't use.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What's a good android smartphone under 150€? Battery life and camera are what is important.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My wife and I are on T-Mobile. I just recently added my mom and changed my plan to Go5g Plus as the price was nearly the same as Magenta Max and it got me a free phone for her.

My question is about my wife and I's phones. They are both paid off. Is there some kind of period of time we need to wait before we can use the upgrade option if we ever decide to?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My wife and I are on T-Mobile. I just recently added my mom and changed my plan to Go5g Plus as the price was nearly the same as Magenta Max and it got me a free phone for her.

My question is about my wife and I's phones. They are both paid off. Is there some kind of period of time we need to wait before we can use the upgrade option if we ever decide to?

There is no period of time to wait, t-mobile would like your money asap

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is probably mostly directed at Duckman, but for the Pixel 8a, Google is offering it to me for $499, with $140 trade-in value on my Pixel 4a, and throwing in $100 of Google store credit. Best Buy is offering it to me for $499, with $120 trade-in, a free month of XBox Game Pass Ultimate, and $100 of Best Buy credit. Verizon is offering it to me for $549, a $10 trade-in credit, and gently caress-all.

Just weird that my carrier doesn't seem to want me to buy the phone through them.

EDIT: This is directed at Duckman in a "why doesn't Verizon seem to be offering any promos on the Pixel 8a?" curiosity sort of way, not in a "you, Duckman, are personally responsible for the pricing decisions of Verizon, and I hate you for it" kind of way.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 14, 2024

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

This is probably mostly directed at Duckman, but for the Pixel 8a, Google is offering it to me for $499, with $140 trade-in value on my Pixel 4a, and throwing in $100 of Google store credit. Best Buy is offering it to me for $499, with $120 trade-in, a free month of XBox Game Pass Ultimate, and $100 of Best Buy credit. Verizon is offering it to me for $549, a $10 trade-in credit, and gently caress-all.

Just weird that my carrier doesn't seem to want me to buy the phone through them.

EDIT: This is directed at Duckman in a "why doesn't Verizon seem to be offering any promos on the Pixel 8a?" curiosity sort of way, not in a "you, Duckman, are personally responsible for the pricing decisions of Verizon, and I hate you for it" kind of way.

Sorry, not posted in the Verizon thread , no answering.

Joking, and btw a lot of people personally hate me for the decisions Verizon makes. It’s just life.

So with the disclaimer that of course I also have a bias, the actual legit business answer to think about, is you have to think about discount being offered versus likelihood of customer to churn / switch at whatever point after getting the phone.

And unfortunately it’s the same as old school contracts: if you lock someone in where it is very expensive to leave, they are less likely to leave.

So would the cell phone company rather offer a major discount on the $800 phone, that is (in theory) less likely to have issues for one thing, and has a balance after 6 months of like, $700, or discount to the $500 phone, which does not have every feature of the higher end (so another carrier can say they can offer a discount on a better phone), and 6 months down the road maybe the balance owed is $400 versus $700.

This is not an official answer, but I am pretty confident that is a big part of the reasoning : you discount the current main phones with all the features so people don’t feel after 6 months “oh I can get a better phone elsewhere” and also the balance owed it greater and thus customer less likely to leave.

Best Buy and Google of course don’t care than the one time sale, and in google’s case hopefully you buy another phone in 3-4 years. Verizon cares about “will you stay as a customer paying the monthly bill for a reasonable acquisition cost” (which yeah they’re not always great at determining to say the least).

Hopefully that answers the question! Remember to always focus the Verizon bar signal on the night sky and I swear I will appear , even if my response times are slower at the moment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that all makes sense. I'm trying to replace my work phone that's on a welcome plan, since it's old and not getting security updates anymore, but kinda figuring it's just not the end of the world, I guess; I don't even turn on location services on it, it's there to take pictures, have a phone number I can just burn when I leave my job, and have Teams/Outlook on a device that's not my personal phone (not to mention a work-specific Gmail/Google Keep/Google Drive). I looked at, like, the Moto G 5G, but it doesn't have wireless charging and the specs suck (though they're great for a $200 phone); I use the phone quite a bit, even if it's not my main personal phone, so I don't want it to suck completely. I'm not a big Samsung fan, the bloatware drives me up a wall. If I want to jump to a Pixel 8, that's going to run me ~$750 after $200 on a trade-in, or I can upgrade my plan to one that's going to cost me an extra $900 over 36 months and get $900 for my trade-in instead of $700. Pixel 8a is $430 after trade-in, which I guess seems like my best option right now? I think you're right that Verizon just doesn't like customers that do the math and figure out how much things actually cost.

My fall back is to just sit on it until Black Friday, see what's available; since most of what I do on the phone is Outlook, Teams, phone calls and text messages, it seems like not having security updates for six months isn't the end of the world (plus I don't deal with anything particularly sensitive at work), but maybe I'm missing something?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Yeah, that all makes sense. I'm trying to replace my work phone that's on a welcome plan, since it's old and not getting security updates anymore, but kinda figuring it's just not the end of the world, I guess; I don't even turn on location services on it, it's there to take pictures, have a phone number I can just burn when I leave my job, and have Teams/Outlook on a device that's not my personal phone (not to mention a work-specific Gmail/Google Keep/Google Drive). I looked at, like, the Moto G 5G, but it doesn't have wireless charging and the specs suck (though they're great for a $200 phone); I use the phone quite a bit, even if it's not my main personal phone, so I don't want it to suck completely. I'm not a big Samsung fan, the bloatware drives me up a wall. If I want to jump to a Pixel 8, that's going to run me ~$750 after $200 on a trade-in, or I can upgrade my plan to one that's going to cost me an extra $900 over 36 months and get $900 for my trade-in instead of $700. Pixel 8a is $430 after trade-in, which I guess seems like my best option right now? I think you're right that Verizon just doesn't like customers that do the math and figure out how much things actually cost.

My fall back is to just sit on it until Black Friday, see what's available; since most of what I do on the phone is Outlook, Teams, phone calls and text messages, it seems like not having security updates for six months isn't the end of the world (plus I don't deal with anything particularly sensitive at work), but maybe I'm missing something?

You are correct, none of the carriers like customers who do the math lol.

Is this your own business or does your work just not buy you a phone?

My input: having a reliable work phone is worth more than dealing with a not great phone, so I would prob just bite the bullet on the Pixel 8a and call it a day.

I have a work phone (thankfully free because good lord you would hope the phone company gives their employees a free phone), very similar use: it’s my customer facing number so I can screen them from my personal life, I use it for work email and google docs stuff, and I use it for nav when driving.

I don’t need the latest iPhone 15 or whatever, but it is nice having a decent phone (I have a 13 Pro at the moment).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Is there a consensus on the Oneplus 12? I'm bumbling along on a S20 which has a decaying battery and the Awful app burned on the screen and I'm looking to change. I've resisted for the longest time because I refuse to use the cloud and I don't want to give up the microSD. I'm not a power user by any means (Web browsing and Awful) but I do like a good camera.

The high capacity Samsungs are nice but very expensive and when I saw the specs for the Oneplus 12 recently I'm very intrigued. I also considered getting a second tier Samsung (a54) with a MicroSD but the camera isn't great and the phone itself is pretty laggy.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Z the IVth posted:

Is there a consensus on the Oneplus 12?
I have a 10 pro and I wasn't crazy about giving up the 3.5mm and SD support but overall I like it, way more than my work phone (pixel).

I'm probably going to turn it into my new work phone and put it on at&t prepaid and get a newer one when work shuts off the pixel next month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Is there a consensus on the Oneplus 12? I'm bumbling along on a S20 which has a decaying battery and the Awful app burned on the screen and I'm looking to change. I've resisted for the longest time because I refuse to use the cloud and I don't want to give up the microSD. I'm not a power user by any means (Web browsing and Awful) but I do like a good camera.

The high capacity Samsungs are nice but very expensive and when I saw the specs for the Oneplus 12 recently I'm very intrigued. I also considered getting a second tier Samsung (a54) with a MicroSD but the camera isn't great and the phone itself is pretty laggy.

You won’t find a good phone with a micro SD Card anymore, for better or worse that ship sailed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

You won’t find a good phone with a micro SD Card anymore, for better or worse that ship sailed.

Sigh. The Oneplus 12 does tick all my boxes and is reviewed well but the only things holding me back are the fact that I can't try one of em out first in a shop here in the UK and the fact that their customer service is abysmal. Good product if you never have to interact with them but nightmarish if you get a lemon?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Z the IVth posted:

Sigh. The Oneplus 12 does tick all my boxes and is reviewed well but the only things holding me back are the fact that I can't try one of em out first in a shop here in the UK and the fact that their customer service is abysmal. Good product if you never have to interact with them but nightmarish if you get a lemon?

Are you buying one outright? Because if so, do it with a credit card and then you've got the section 75 protection on it and it just becomes the credit card company's problem

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
How does that work? I know Amex has something like an extended warranty on some things you buy using the card but I've never tried using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SpeedFreek posted:

How does that work? I know Amex has something like an extended warranty on some things you buy using the card but I've never tried using it.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/complaints-can-help/credit-borrowing-money/goods-services-bought-credit

A decent summary here, but basically you can hand the goods to your credit card provider, they give you the money back and whether they can recover the money from the seller is their problem and not yours. When I worked at a bank someone from transaction services came and gave us a little presentation on what they did which included a list of all the things they'd had returned to them under section 75, which included consumer electronics, cars and horses.