Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is there a better place than this thread to ask about VoIP?

I'm looking for a single phone number to ring at our house, and, more importantly, something that can receive SMS and send them to me over email. It would be really neato if I didn't need to write out why I'm looking for this: I just need advice on how to set it up.

Can I buy a used Polycom from one of these "liquidation auction reseller" places, service with a VoIP provider, set up the phone with a SIP address, username, and password, and everything will work? Do I need special router gubbins, or will my Google WiFi router work okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Google voice?

Can you send incoming SMS to any email address, or just the one associated with the account? I already have Google Fi, so I'd have to set up a new gmail account for Voice, I think.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Samuel Glompers posted:

Is there a qwerty feature phone / dumb phone that will still function in 2024? Praying someone can say yes

I've been using the Light Phone 2. It seems to check many of your boxes.

Serephina posted:

So! I'm after a dumbphone that will never, ever, touch the internet, not even to update.

The Nokia 6300 might be for you! Also check the dumbphone finder at https://josebriones.org/

After recently switching from a Pixel 6 to a Nokia 2780 and then a Light Phone 2 (cruft jr took the nokia), I started a whole thread just for dumbphones, if either of you are interested. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052229