Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

porkfriedrice posted:

I'm even more confused. So what is the downside to just using their monthly payment plan with Edge to buy the phone from Verizon? Doing a quick search on Amazon shows unlocked phones for way cheaper than the $600 for the 5s you suggested. Will these cheaper phones not be able to do the basic things that I said she will be using it for? If the phone has to be branded Verizon, doesn't that mean the phone isn't unlocked?

Here are some Verizon 5Ses that go for around $350 on Swappa, a reputable third-party dealer. What you would do is buy one of those, take it to the Verizon store, and then activate an Edge plan.

The Edge plan is a no-contract plan and gives you a discount on the line cost compared to traditional two-year contract plans. But this discount is generally nullified when you buy a phone with an Edge payment plan, since the phone subsidy is worth more than what you save per month on the no-contract plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

porkfriedrice posted:

So Verizon marks up the retail price of the phone to cover the discount? An identical phone bought from a different retailer would have a cheaper retail price than the one from Verizon?

Verizon doesn't mark up the price on the phones. It's that the plan discount ($15/mo per line) is less than a two-year contract subsidy, which works out to $18.75/mo on an iPhone.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

You are wrong. Verizon Edge is a phone payment plan. It has nothing to do with the service or contract. The service plan is called More Everything (since it includes more of everything than their previous Everything plan). To get an Edge plan you HAVE to purchase from Verizon and last I checked the plan, the line access discount goes away once the phone is paid off. Verizon doesn't do bring your own device like AT&T, which is dumb, but they can get away with it since they have to authorize your device for use on their network.

Huh, I thought Verizon was like AT&T where if you brought your own device, you would get the access fee discount. Jesus Christ Verizon.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

My mother needs to replace her phone and asked me for advice on something super cheap. I was ready to tell her to buy a Moto E but then I noticed it lacks a LED flash torchlight, which is probably one of the few features she would actually appreciate alongside basic phone calls and GPS navigation (and maybe video calls, in which case the Moto E lacking a front camera would also be bothersome).

Are there any tolerable options in the "cheaper than the Moto G" range for that? As I hinted, as long as it can run a GPS navigation app it doesn't matter if the performance is terrible just about everywhere else.

edit: for the price of the Moto E I can find an Ascend G610, which seems to get pretty good reviews. Is that a decent idea?

The Lumia 520/521, which are usable smartphones with decent maps, are $50. No flash or front-facing camera though.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Phraggah posted:

Looking for a new phone.

Country/Provider: USA AT&T

Current contract status: Family plan w/ data and texts

Budget (phone/plan): +/- $200 for the phone, one that can be added to our current plan

Features I know I want: Android phone. A good balance between screen real estate, responsive touchscreen, battery life, and non-slugishness. The last phone I bought was an iPhone 3GS and I'm really looking forward to replacing it. A device that will last (in a stable,functional state) a while is also pretty important to me. Having a nice camera is also important, especially for the forward-facing camera, but I would also like a user-facing camera. Storage space isn't a huge issue for me, I don't even have all 8 GB used on my phone atm (but it might be nice?)

I'm woefully out of date on how all the android phones rank in the criteria im looking for, so if anyone has any suggestions for 3 or so models I could look at, I'd appreciate it.

2014 Moto X is your best bet. The X has the best software experience on Android and Motorola is as good as Google with updates. The 2014 X's weaknesses are a mediocre camera and mediocre battery life. The Galaxy S5 is better on those two points, but it has bad software.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks for the help upthread. New question:

my wife's car has a built in iphone 4 plug in the center console for playing music through the radio. Can someone link me an adaptor that will let the new iphone 6 i got her work with it? thanks.

Here's a Lightning to 30-pin adapter. There's also Bluetooth 30-pin adapters if you wanna give up simultaneous charging for wireless audio.

Wardende posted:

I need to buy a phone for myself but I am an idiot.

Country/Provider: USA / None

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): pay-as-you-go contract (I think)

Features I know I want: I don't think I want a long-term contract because I am not sure if I'll be in the country for all of 2015 and so committing to a 2-year plan in the USA seems like a bad idea. All I need from my phone feature wise is: 4G, can run simple apps. I don't need a cool screen or to run games or anything, I basically use my phone to call, text, email, read wikipedia, and summon the occasional Uber. Should I grab some used Android device? I prefer iPhones but they seem difficult to get on a month-to-month deal.

Thanks!!

For a phone, buy a first-gen Moto X. Then for a plan, go with Cricket, which uses AT&T's networks.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Careful Drums posted:

I want a phone with an awesome camera and external storage, like an SD card. like, my wife's iphone 5s has a great camera but storage is an issue and i want better picture quality. What are my options?

Constraints:
Doesn't run iOS
Available on t-mobile

The Lumia 1020 i hear is the best but it is at&t only, which is a bummer because I like Windows Phone 8.1.

e: I should also say that I don't have to buy it today. I don't know if there's anything new coming out soon that might have a really good camera?

The LG G3 and Galaxy Note 4 are nice phones with cameras on par with the iPhone's. But they're big. If you find they're too big, the Xperia Z3 is more manageable in size but it's a step down in camera quality.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Alder posted:

Country/Provider:USA/AT&T

Current contract status: Ending soon

Budget (phone/plan):$250. Really have no idea as I just always just get whatever models the somewhat shady cell phone booth offers to me.

Features I know I want:
Physical numberpad: I have a N7 already and I don't like smartphones.
OK camera: Good enough for item sales but don't really need one if it's too much of a challenge on the budget.
Long battery life.
Receives text messages. I don't even need to send them but it would be nice if I could get anything other than SMS or MMS.

Technically, I don't need to upgrade but my phone drops 3/5 calls time to time.

Here's the nicest dumbphone ever without a crap touchscreen, if you're willing to spend $180. While you're at it, switch to Cricket, AT&T's prepaid brand to save cash ($25/mo for unlimited talk/text on a dumbphone.)

Cirofren posted:

A lot of phones claim to be waterproof. I'm looking for one that can comfortably be submerged on a weekly basis and doesn't mind sitting in a sauna.

If you're gonna abuse your phone like that, buy an iPhone with AppleCare+ and one of the dive camera cases recommended by The Wirecutter here.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

Ok, went and sorted out with a 10 gig plan, with a work discount coming in at about 106$ (plus bunches of taxes and fees, of course), so that is nice.

Tried Samsung, Nexus 6, and MotoX, and all three of them had shameful shutter lag and slow focus that even in reasonably brightly lit indoor settings resulted in blurry children. Played with the iphone 6+ and generated a whole lot more usable pictures in the same number of attempts. Not a comprehensive test, and I don't use my phone camera all that much, mostly because it sucks. But maybe I would use it more if it were better.

Didn't see a sony in the store, is that worth another trip to look at, or does nobody make a competitive android camera/software setup? Was I fooled by gimmickry and the iphone 6+ camera isn't as good as it seems?

I've never used ios anything, and have 4 years of knowing roughly where things are on a droid phone, anybody have an iphone on a largely PC and android house network with some experiences to share? Is there anything really annoying and dumb about switching to a new iphone from an android that I didn't spot in 10 minutes of trying to ignore the sales guy while I poked at things?

Yeah, Android hardware is a bag of compromises. The Nexus 6 and 2014 X have great software, but their cameras are the worst out of the current crop of flagship phones. On the other hand, the LG G3 and Galaxy Note 4 have cameras in the same ballpark as the iPhone's, but they're gigantic and LG and Samsung have bad reputations when it comes to software. The Xperia Z3 is a reasonable compromise, with a camera that's a step below the top tier of smartphone cameras and a good, but not great software experience. But for you the Z3 is only available unlocked.

For more words, Apple and Nokia historically have made the best phone cameras. But Windows Phone has always lagged, and right now people aren't sure if Microsoft cares at all about Windows Phone (e.g. the Windows Phone version of Office is actually behind the iOS and Android versions right now.) The 6 Plus is a really good phone if you're fine with iOS.

As far as going from Android to iOS, you don't have to touch iTunes at all with iOS now, except if you want to sync local music from your computer. I switched from Android to iOS last year, and with iOS 8, the pain points have been mostly removed (inter-app communication, widgets, interactive notifications.) It's fine to switch if you're not a stickler about iOS' openness.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Solis posted:

Country/Provider: USA/ Straight Talk

Current contract status: N/A

Budget (phone/plan): Preferably Sub $100, 60/mo plan

Features I know I want: Reception! I live in Blacksburg Virginia and basically Verizon is the only company that remotely gets service here, though the fact I'm using an old iPhone 4S doesn't help. I'm sick of having to hang around a window to make calls and my monthly rollover so I figure I'll upgrade. I'm not really too attached to apple because iOS has kinda been less than impressive lately and also their phones are a little over my budget at this point. I like my Galaxy Tab so I was thinking of getting the S5 since Amazon has it for $80 (It was $50 like a week ago too...)

Edit: I also travel to Canada relatively frequently, so bonus points if a phone is easy enough to root that I can hotswap to a prepaid SIM with no fuss.

Get a Verizon single-line plan and buy a 2014 Moto X. If camera isn't a priority, the X is the best phone you can buy. It has the best software on Android, with useful additions to stock Android and updates only slightly behind Google's for their Nexus devices, and Verizon's grubby hands don't really touch the Moto X like they do with other phones. Its cell reception is notably better than other phones to boot.

All Verizon phones with a SIM slot are SIM unlocked, so you'll have no problems using your phone in Canada.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

fletcher posted:

My two years is up so I'm due for a new phone later this month. Currently have an iPhone 5, looking to move away from Apple. I really like the idea of running vanilla Android without any carrier added bloat, so I was considering the Nexus 6. It's so loving big though, I think I'd prefer something closer to the iPhone 5 in size. So I was thinking the Nexus 5, but why would I wanna buy a 2 year old phone? So I'm not sure what to get, what else should I look at?

The 2014 Moto X is a smaller version of the Nexus 6.

ssjonizuka posted:

In-laws are looking to join the new century and ditch their old sprint flip phones for something "smart."

They are less than enamored with sprint, so really AT&T and Verizon are the big providers in the area (N. VT). Since this is their first foray into smart phones and texting etc, I really don't see them being big utilizers. With that in mind I'm thinking it may be ok for them to go prepaid, but since I never went that route, I don't know a lot about what is out there. Clearly, they won't need flagship phones, but something solid (and not used) is going to be the big sticking point.

We may even opt to bring them into our AT&T plan (currently 3/4s of that bill gets expensed to work), but I'm a bit hesitant to do that. Just seeking some initial input to help decide a strategy for them. Help me goons!

The cheapest prepaid option is 2 separate Cricket lines for $70/mo. with unlimited talk/text/1 GB of data after autopay for both of them. Cricket is AT&T's official prepaid brand. It'd likely be cheaper to throw them onto your AT&T data bucket ($25/mo per line for BYOD.) For a phone, 2 Moto Gs will be fine.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

Alright let's give this a try: Currently have a Droid Razr M, looking to upgrade in the next month or so. Willing to jump ship from Verizon, and I'd like to stay with Android if possible. My M was great when I first got it, but has become horribly unusable since the last update (4.4 kitkat I think? Thanks Verizon/Motorola for ruining a decent smartphone :waycool: ). What I would prefer would be something with good battery life (I'm going to be on the road for 3-4 days at a time), similar form factor (none of this humongous phablet poo poo), and a decent camera (like quicker shutter, better lowlight capability, not terribly concerned about megapixels). Any suggestions? I kinda like the S4/S4 mini when I saw it at the store today, but that's almost 2 year old hardware. Plus, I remember how laughably bad my Epic 4g was back in the day. The only other phone I even remotely looked at was the droid turbo, but I'm kinda done with Motorola products after my M :emo:

Today, your only option if you want an Android phone that isn't huge with a nice camera is to move to AT&T and buy an unlocked Z3 Compact. Your other options are to wait for the Galaxy S6 and HTC M9 in a few months, or to buy an iPhone 6.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

You can also buy a portable battery pack? That's one you can put in your pocket, or you can throw a bigger battery pack in your bag, which is what I do.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hank Killinger posted:

My wife is up for a new phone (old one is a troublesome Razr HD). Here are the requirements:

- Carrier Verizon
- Android (iOS isn't out of the question though)
- "Best battery life"
- Decent update support

She's open to the idea of a phablet, so I suggested the Galaxy Note 4. The z3 Compact looks great, but it's not workable on Verizon from what I can tell. Any options I'm missing? iOS could work if the Google apps (gmail, hangouts, drive, etc) environment functions well.

Has battery life improved in the last two years?

If battery life is the priority, then the three phones to consider are the Note 4, 6 Plus, and Droid Turbo. The Note 4's only real weakness is the updates. Updates do come, but they're 3-4 months behind the Motorola/Nexus devices.

With the Droid Turbo, you'd be trading screen size for updates that come as quickly as Nexus devices. Also, stock Android is still nicer than TouchWiz (even if ignoring it is easier than ever.)

Meanwhile with the iPhone, the Google experience is pretty good. It's not as nice as Android because it's not integrated into the OS, but it's still pretty good. The only complaint I had was Gmail, but Outlook on iOS and Google Inbox have solved this problem.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

echo465 posted:

To follow up on my previous question, Is the Moto E 4G LTE usable in both the US and western Europe? Can I put a US T-Mobile SIM in one slot and a prepaid Lebara SIM in the other, and use the same phone in the US and France? Or is it not that simple.

The LTE E does support one of the two main French LTE bands, but EDGE will be your fallback if you run out of that coverage zone. The global GSM E is slower both in performance and network speeds, but it supports European 3G coverage. You'd be better off with the global GSM E if it's just a temporary phone for a month in France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I mean if it works for you that's cool, but you shouldn't have to regularly go to XDA to have essential components of Android working in 2015.