Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
One thing as an fyi: you have to do autopay with one checking account or debit card (not a credit card unless it’s the Verizon one), so just make sure one member of the family is ok with essentially paying the bill and then you Venmo them every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tricky Ed posted:

Yeah, I know you used to be able to just bank minutes on T-Mobile as long as you topped up every 12 months, but they retired that plan and I haven't been able to find anything similar.

If you find one awesome, but they’re mostly discontinued because well, they don’t make as much money on those as they do on monthly plans. So it’s worth losing a few customers to charge the others more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Organic Lube User posted:

So I just got a line on my mom's Verizon plan and got a Pixel 8, and I'm not terribly happy with the screen size and battery life. What options will I have in terms of returning it for another phone? Would the Pro sort those two issues? Or should I look at a Motorola or another brand? I'd honestly like as big a screen as I can get, and really long battery life. I'm even open to phablets, I just know nothing about that hardware landscape.

30 day return policy, $50 fee to exchange it. You have to go through the channel you bought it from. If corp, a corp store can exchange it. If you happened to get it at an indirect store you have to go through that store, etc.

One part of this answer is simple: Motorola is terrible dear god do not exchange for a Motorola.

Assuming you did a trade in promo, I would exchange for a Pixel 8 pro IF you feel you like the pixel but just want a bigger screen, or I would exchange for the S23 Ultra.

Only you can really decide, here are reviews.

https://www.theverge.com/23912370/google-pixel-8-pro-review-camera-assistant-magic-editor-best-take-audio-eraser

https://www.theverge.com/23598871/samsung-galaxy-s23-ultra-review-camera-battery-screen-s-pen

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I pay $70/month for two lines, 10 GB per line, I never use more than 1GB, so we could probably just use 10GB total. Pre-paid MetroPCS, not the best coverage around town, we've always just bought our phones unlocked and connected them.

I'm willing to switch to a new carrier, Verizon, AT&T, etc.
Any plans that are comparable to my current situation?

Prepaid Verizon with autopay is $35 a line with autopay, so same price but possibly better coverage. It’s call , text and 15Gb a line.

Def check around, just a lot of carriers don’t do lower shared gig plans anymore because they don’t want to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

icantfindaname posted:

I’m looking to buy an android phone to do hobbyist mobile software development on, what is the cheapest one I can buy that’s still usable? I don’t care about cell service

Hard to say without knowing what your threshold on usability is.

You can find a cheap Samsung A01, A02 or A03 on eBay probably. The A03 is $160 new.

Moto G series phones are cheap. Same thing for the 2021 or 2022 version. The current cheap Moto is the Moto Pure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I think I'm just about done with T-Mobile. Paying 130 bucks after corporate employer discount, not counting device payments which are a few months away from being done, for 2 lines. I checked with my employer to see what changes occurred and all 3 of the big carriers don't have appealing deals. With T-Mo for example, they're only offering 15% off on Magenta MAX only which is only a couple bucks under what I'm paying for now with more or less the same benefits and that's without the AutoPay discount (I do not want to give them my bank information so please don't suggest the workaround, I do not want to give them that information, full stop). I know AT&T and Verizon are the same on that front so I'm stuck there on that point.

I'm ready to pay off my phones and hold on to them for another year or so (iPhone 13's) and start looking at MVNOs. I'm in the Orange County, California area and besides T-Mobile, I've had Verizon in the past which was just fine for me coverage wise. 2 services currently have my interest, US Mobile's Unlimited Essentials/Premium plans (35/45 per line) and Visible's Visible+ plan (45 per line). My average data usage is around 40GBs so those plans would fit my regular usage plus headroom. Currently US Mobile has a bigger share of my interest since I keep seeing positive response to their customer support and the ability to choose between T-Mobile and Verizon networks on sign up. However if this Reddit post about data prioritization is to be believed, I would benefit more from USM's Unlimited plans on the Verizon networks and Visible+. Visible is a little bit less interesting since I would have to manage 2 separate accounts as they're focused on single line subscribers.

Am I going in the right direction? Is there an option I haven't considered yet?

So, MNVOs are a great option.

General fyi: all carriers basically prioritize based off of how close of a customer you are. It basically goes priority access postpaid, postpaid, priority access prepaid, prepaid, then MNVOs like Visible and US Mobile. Coverage can be the same, but data speeds can be different if on busy towers.

Verizon prepaid is $50 for line one , $30 for line 2. That’s non priority access , but that’s where I would start. It’s $10 a month more if either line wants priority access.

So you could get 2 lines on Verizon prepaid for $80 a month, prob $90-92 with taxes.

Btw, Visible kind of sucks, so def don’t do Visible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Nose posted:

What's particularly sucky about Visible?

What Alex said, plus it seems to be particularly aggressive on being lower on the data totem pole. Very much just hear say, but yeah. I had a lot of visible switches to Verizon proper , mostly due to people having issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kazr posted:

Can I get a phone recommendation with a good camera?

iPhone 15 Pro or pro max, Samsung S23 Ultra, or Google pixel 8 pro. All very good. Check your carrier for promos.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

imabanana posted:

Looking to get either a 3 or 4 person family plan. Coming from a mix of prepaid and 2 on a business line not on contract, phones are all pretty old, iPhone Xs and 2nd gen SEs. I haven't shopped for cell phones or plans in years, so I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. I'd like to get 2 newer iPhones, and then one line would be fine with a Pixel or iPhone. Probably just looking for unlimited on all lines. What would my best choices look like at the moment between Verizon/ATT/TMobile?

What carrier are the bus lines on and are they keeping their number or getting a new number?

As long as you do autopay with a debit card or checking account, Verizon for 4 lines is pick and choose per line at:

Note: promos are new lines, may not apply if those bus lines are on Verizon already.

$45: unlimited plus plan, unlimited priority data, 15GB mobile hotspot, $800 trade in on your phones towards any 15. You would get a $200 gift card if switching from another carrier.

$30: unlimited welcome, unlimited data, at times of network congestion you can get slowed down, no movie hotspot. iPhone 14 or pixel 7 are free.

All phone discounts are a 3 year contract.

So like, $45 * 4 = $180 at the most. If 2 people didn’t need the newest phones, you could do say, $45 + $45 + $30 + $30 = $150.

Quote is before tax and fees. Tax and fees is $6-7 a line, so add $20ish a month total.

If anyone is military, teacher, nurse or first responder you would save $20 a month (total).

Until recently I worked in the sales call center. If you want help ordering (don’t feel required on this), if you PM me I can have a co worker call you. Or just call the direct number at (800) 256-4646 . It’s Christmas, normally there are act fees but I would politely ask if they can waive them.

That’s Verizon. T-Mobile and ATT are probably similar, I’m just VZ background.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Personally, I would avoid AT&T prepaid. I briefly used them while I was navigating the shutdown of the Sprint towers following the T-Mobile/Sprint merger, since my provider at the time was Boost (which used the Sprint towers at the time). AT&T prepaid had the worst customer service of any carrier I had dealt with, and porting my number in and out was a massive pain in my rear end. I went from them to Verizon prepaid and it was a vastly better experience.

Edit: While on the phone with AT&T prepaid customer service the agent had an accent I couldn't quite place but sounded Eastern European, and clearly had no idea how US addresses worked. I have never had just giving my physical address be that difficult or oddly disconcerting.

Great input, just for the record pretty much all call centers are outsourced now. Hell, almost all postpaid customer service is now overseas , which is extremely depressing.

Verizon prepaid is $35 a line for 15GB each (with autopay), so it def fits what OP is requesting, so your recommendation is a good one. Just giving a general disclaimer.

Overall, anyone posting here is less likely to NEED a lot of customer service since most people here are pretty tech savvy, but still good to note.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pershing posted:

So my mom is looking for an unlocked phone. This would be for Spectrum in the southeast US. Any thoughts on whether Spectrum is any good would be appreciated.

Need more details on how much phone she needs, phones range in price from $200-1000.

Spectrum piggy backs off Verizon, so call and text is fine, data she will have lower priority than other people. Some people notice the slower speeds some do not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

My wife is thinking about replacing her Pixel 4a, what's the closest modern unlocked equivalent, i.e. similar size and good quality under $500? I assume anything today would have similar or better camera performance.

Pixel 7a?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ryuga Death posted:

Hi, I have a samsung galaxy s9. Is there any reason to upgrade to a new phone or should I just stick with it?

What carrier do you have ? If it’s a post paid plan, the S24 is out and most carriers have good promos.

If it’s prepaid or not US, like, is your phone working ok? Main reason to upgrade is A. If there is a good promo and B. s9 is getting old, new phone would have security updates and work better for sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

demostars posted:

Hey thread, I am looking for advice for my mom in here. She brought her iPhone 12 into the Apple Store because her earspeaker doesn't work anymore and the repair cost would have been $279 since the full screen had to be replaced for the fix. Obviously with a three-year-old phone that's throwing good money after bad, especially because they quoted the trade-in value at $220, so for an extra $100 she could have gotten a brand-new iPhone 13 with a fresh battery. However, I'm a bit scrupulous after checking the Apple website that they would have given her the full value for a broken phone since it says the phone needs to "function normally" to trade it in. Was the employee misspeaking/throwing her a bone and should she have taken her up on it in the moment?

The only carrier that I see that would take it in its current condition seems to be Verizon, and the best option I see there would more than quadruple her monthly bill (she's on US Mobile so it's only about $20/mo). Technically she comes out slightly ahead in value in a very specific circumstance (getting the iPhone 14 Plus which wouldn't require a trade-in and selling the iPhone 12 for parts and the TV they're giving out for >$600 total), but the iPhone 13 idea seems like so much less headache than financing a phone for 3 years. The only place that seems worth considering a switch to is Boost Infinite for their "get the latest iPhone every year" plan, but it looks like that basically requires you to get AppleCare with it so that you don't get stuck with a broken phone for two years while you pay the unexchangable one off. Still, though, paying $52 extra a month for peace of mind, unlimited data, and constant model refreshes doesn't seem like an awful deal. I think the iPhone 13 still is head and shoulders above it since owning is always better than leasing IMO, but is there anything else to consider if they won't actually accept the 12 at the full $220?

E: I think I answered my question about Boost Infinite, just found out Apple has the same thing and it would come out cheaper for her to do it with them and stick with US Mobile. Actually maybe not since that requires a big 3 plan... I'll still just go with her next week and help her trade her old phone into Apple most likely.

Dear god don’t get her Boost, it’s owned by Dish and is a complete poo poo show (not at all shocking).

You should get her whatever phone full retail and leave her on her $20 plan. Like, the 13 is a great phone, even if they reduce the trade in its worth it to have that cheap of a plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, Boost is why I tell people there are only really 3.5 phone carriers in the US, with Boost being the fraction. Boost was acquired by Dish as part of the Sprint/T-Mobile merger deal, and they were required to build out their network to certain milestones of coverage area, and I believe they've been struggling with that. Also, T-Mobile was supposed to carry them as an MVNO for a while, but reneged on that promise pretty quickly, if I recall correctly. In some cities they might be okay, but I would look sideways at them as a carrier in general.

Dish:Boost isn’t even a 0.5 , there are 3 phone carriers in the US. Dish has been failing at rolling it call service for 15 years now, it was such a blatant lie when sprint and T-Mobile used Dish to justify their merger.

It’s from 2022, but this is a good summary of what a poo poo show it is.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/27/23373064/dish-project-genesis-5g-accounts-service

Ryuga Death posted:

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry if my answer isn't clear, but my carrier is Spectrum. I'm unsure what a post paid plan is. I pay 14 dollars a month for a gig a month.

I think my phone is working fine but it does seem to be a bit on the slow side with apps like youtube and other stuff being opened at once. Also, the battery life seems to not be as good as it once was.

If I were to shop for a new phone, should I look to Spectrum for promos or something else like Amazon or Best Buy?

You should buy a phone full retail, spectrum doesn’t do many discounts and they def won’t for a plan that’s $14 a month.

Check Samsung to see if they have promos to trade your S9 for the S24.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Not sure where to ask about this, but we're trying to cut recurring expenses while getting our kids through preschool and our phone plan is a big one. I keep seeing/hearing ads for cheaper plans like Mint Mobile etc which use bigger carriers' networks but cost less. What is the general experience with them? You can't really use searches for this stuff these days because it's all sponsored content

In general third party carriers you can get slower data speeds at time of network congestion and they have extremely limited customer service.

What carrier do you have, how many lines, any phones on payment plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I'm on AT&T, two lines. Both have a phone on the payment plan, so I'd have to buy them out to switch under any circumstances, and AT&T loves to obfuscate what the actual apples-to-apples cost of the plan is, but essentially the lines are $88 each per month. Which is a lot! This includes the phone payments, but if I look at my bill it claims that the phone payments are discounted away anyway??? Seems purposely confusing! I'm on their Super Ultra Deluxe Elite plan but if I try to use their site to switch down to the Normal Person's Plan the total cost is only $1.50 lower per line per month. This is of course way higher than the promotional price they show on their site if I'm not logged in. The entire system seems purposely designed to prevent you from paying them less money under any circumstances. I was wondering if these cheapo services I keep hearing about were worth switching to even if I had to eat an up-front cost to buy out the phones, but it sounds like the answer is "probably not." Data is expensive and it sucks

What exact phones and what is the phone balance owed on each?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Not exactly a phone question, but our internet is currently out. For the future, if I wanted to buy a hotspot to use as a backup internet connection for my housemates who work from home, would that be a good way to go? Is there one you can buy and then just turn on for a handful of days when you need it, then just not have service the rest of the time?

EDIT: I'm currently on a Verizon post-paid plan with 5 lines.

So, yes and no.

You can get them cheap on Amazon. Here’s the 8800L , which is the workhorse 4G one (note the 7730 is also fine, I have the 7730 and still occasionally use it).

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Wire...s%2C131&sr=8-18

I can’t tell you exactly what the monthly is without seeing your plan, but basically it’s $10-20 a month for 15GB, $20-40 for 50GB, $40-60 for 100GB, and $60-80 for 150GB. Usually I recommend the 50GB if you were in your scenario.

Main downside: $35 act fee anytime you turn it on. So you CAN turn it on for like, a day, week, whatever, and it’s one month’s service and then you just call and deactivate it when reg internet is back. But each time you turn it on, it’s $35. It’s possible to get care to waive it, but that’s case by case.

I do have people who put it on the $10 a month plan and then just up it if they need to use use it (no fee for changing plans).

That all said, phone hotspot is also not a bad idea:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Why not just do it with a phone? I keep a secondary phone that gets rollover data on a Tracfone plan in case I need to hotspot for any period of time.

Main downside is phone hotspots are a bit aggressive on turning off (particularly iPhones) since they’re going to have a goal of saving battery, etc.

That said, This is also not a bad idea, a Verizon postpaid plan has 15-50GB mobile hotspot depending on the plan. And a big one: if a phone line is on the latest Verizon plans, you can add a “perk” of $10 a month for 100GB mobile hotspot. That perk has no act fee, and you can add/remove at will, so if you put said person on new plan, doing this is probably way more economical than getting a sep mobile hotspot.

Oh, random other thing, if you’re on an older Verizon premium plan, they’re raising rates of some plans (I know it sucks and is ridiculous) so you may want to go to the new plans anyway. If you post or PM me the names of the plans the 4 phones are on I could tell you.

So that said, that’s both options. Either can work ok. Let me know

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Country/Provider: US, just outside Baltimore. 4 lines on T-Mobile
Current contract status: Just moved all lines in, open to get them all 4 out.
Features I know I want: At least some Hotspot, Unlimited Data, no throttling.

I got conned into moving my parents 2 lines off the TMo 55+ plan and my 2 lines off prepaid to a family plan by being told I could use a 20% Insider F&F code, which was a blatant lie that they will not honor. After 20 hours on with customer support this week just to get all the lines moved in, my patience with TMo is exhausted.

Big question is what was and what is your monthly rate? 2nd is did you buy any new phones, or was it all BYOD? If it was BYOD you can go wherever you want.

I can get you a quote for Verizon, I just need to know those two answers, and also do all 4 lines need mobile hotspot?

You can post here or PM me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

All devices are BYOD.
Previously, between the 2 plans, we were at about $170-180 total. New plan was supposed to be $185 before 20% discount.
Only 3 of the lines will ever use mobile hotspot, and it doesn't need to be a lot, we only use it when traveling.

Verizon 4 lines with mobile hotspot is $180 + tax ($45 a line).

There’s a BYOD promo, it would be $140 before tax, about $165 with tax (3 year promo before going to $180 before tax).

If a line doesn’t need mobile hotspot, that line would be $25 (for 3 years, usually $30).

So $35 + $35 + $35 + $25 = $130 before tax, $155 with tax. For 3 years, not permanent.

You would get priority data and mobile hotspot (unless a line is on the lower plan), so that’s a nice benefit. Pricing is certainly close.

Do not feel obligated, but If you need someone to call you to get setup, PM me, I can always offer to have a co worker call you, they could waive all the activation fees at least.

If any of the family members are military, first responders , nurse or teacher, you can get an extra $20 off.

Let me know what questions you have.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

Looking at a new phone. Thinking about galaxy s24, but wife requests that I switch to iphone. I am still on my first smart phone, a galaxy note 5. Being old and stuck in my ways, the feature I think I care most about is the back button and switch between apps button. They are virtual buttons on my device, but they are always there and have fairly consistent behavior across apps. Do these exist today? Is it swipe from the bottom or whatever? Does brand matter here? Home buttons are long gone I think, at least as a physical button, but does android vs ios matter in this department?

Nah, it’s muscle memory you’ll be fine in like, 1 or 2 days tops. Apple has a back button that is digital and appears when necessary, etc.

Whether you get a Samsung or iPhone is up to you, both are great. If you are in the US check your local carrier, they’ll usually offer you a discount in exchange for a 3 year contract, which I think you would be ok with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with mint mobile up in the Pennsylvania area? Family is looking to get off our xfinity plan where we have 3 phones with 3 gigs of data per month, because we're paying 150 a month for that poo poo and customer support is garbage.

Mint used T-Mobile , so I would look up T-Mobile coverage.

PA it’ll just vary on what part of the state.

General fyi, Verizon prepaid is $35 + $5 taxes per line, so about $120 a month. 10GB of data each.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

We're homebodies so a large data cap isn't super important but that's still cheaper at least.

Yeah, more and more you’ll see most plans be unlimited data (albeit with data prioritization) because it’s just easier than nickel and diming over a few GBs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

My wife and I are looking for to snag some new phones, and are willing to change providers/join a family plan together to do it. I'm using a Galaxy S20 with Mint and she's using a Galaxy Note 10 on T-Mobile.

It's been forever since I've used any service but random prepaid providers and I've bought older, used, unlocked phones through Swappa or friends in the past.

Ideally we'd like discounted phones in exchange for signing up for a 2-year deal or whatever, and it's absolutely impossible to use Google to find any helpful information anymore, so I'd love some goon input on what a good option would be for us.

So, what are you paying monthly right now between the two?

You can get discounted phones, but the monthly has a decent chance of being higher than what you are currently paying on Mint.

Going from Mint to postpaid, you could see a coverage difference (specifically data speeds), so a side question is are you happy with Mint ?

Example: Verizon is $140 + tax and fees (so $152) for 2 people and 2 new phones. If you don’t need priority data and mobile hotspot, it can be $110 before tax and fees (if either of you are military, first responders, teacher, nurse or student you can get an extra discount).

Anyway, can clarify from there. I assume you’re both looking for the S24 ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

I'm paying $40/mo for Mint and she's paying $40/mo for T-Mobile prepaid, both for unlimited data. We're willing to go up a little bit in order to score new phones, but not trying to double our phone bills or anything like that.

We're both happy with our providers, service-wise. We're mostly on wifi at home or work and don't need priority data.

I'd like the S24, personally, but I'm also willing to go back a model to the S23 or potentially switch brands if need be.

Yeah, even T-Mobile is gonna be a lot more than that for 2 lines.

I personally would recommend buying phones full retail and staying where you are at.

Samsung might have a promo buying full retail for. Them, but not sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

Thanks. I think we might just snag some unlocked S23s or something similar and forge onward with Mint.

That said, I haven't bought a phone in a couple years. Is Swappa still a legit used phone source or is there something obviously better I sound use?

Nah, swappa (or SA Mart) is fine. Always a little bit of risk, but way way better than eBay.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

Is there a better place than this thread to ask about VoIP?

I'm looking for a single phone number to ring at our house, and, more importantly, something that can receive SMS and send them to me over email. It would be really neato if I didn't need to write out why I'm looking for this: I just need advice on how to set it up.

Can I buy a used Polycom from one of these "liquidation auction reseller" places, service with a VoIP provider, set up the phone with a SIP address, username, and password, and everything will work? Do I need special router gubbins, or will my Google WiFi router work okay?

Google voice?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

I bought a Moto G 5G (2022) phone that's less than a year old and basically unusable because the charger keeps popping out. Forcefully popping out. I've cleaned the charging port with both delicate and aggressive means but it's still popping out. The usb-c charger has zero issues charging any other device, it's the phone. This is a $200 phone so not really worth paying for a charging port replacement.

What's a cheap alternative android phone? I'm not seeing much in the price range that's comparable to the moto G line. Criteria are:
-5G
-Android
-Unlocked
-128GB+
-Battery life
-Less than 6.5"

In the $200 range there really isn’t one anymore. Ty may need to consider going up $200 and getting a Pixel 7a.

If you go used market, the pixel 7 is $200-250 on swappa. Not as expensive as I would have thought. Sam’s with the S21.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brettbot posted:

Ok, so I'm finally being forced to replace my Pixel 2, due to the double whammy of dying battery and unreliable charging port. Before that I had a Samsung Galaxy (S3 I think), and I remember liking that more than Pixel, it felt more like a mini computer than a smartphone if you know what I mean. I guess this is more of a "is there anything I should avoid" question than a recommendation request.
Phones basically don't have any of the features I used to insist on, like expandable memory, headphone jack, or removable battery. I don't really care about the camera quality, and I wouldn't want to go any bigger than the Pixel2. Basically if it runs fast, lets me do what I want, and has a minimum of invasive bloat I'll be happy.

Well, the main bad news is I don’t think any phone is the size of the pixel 2 anymore.

That said, you probably should look at the S23 or S24, the reg one isn’t that big and should be a good replacement. It’ll have bloat but you can delete a good bit of it.

The Pixel 7 and 8 are also recommended for the record. So go with whichever you like more.

If in the US on a postpaid plan call your carrier to see what phone discounts they will offer you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Apologies if this is a super common question, I try to stay out of the phone game as much as possible so I really just don't know anything.
I've had Pixels/Nexus phones exclusively. Currently my Pixel 5 is dying - dodgy battery, screen on the fritz, camera oddities, and have had issues with cell service now for a bit. It's time.
I love having free unlimited photo backup to Google Photos and the rear dedicated fingerprint scanner is in use 100% of the time I use the phone. And the screen size is nice, maybe a little bigger than I'd like though. Are these features all extinct nowadays? If so, is there any real benefit to sticking with Pixel phones? I kind of never liked the Galaxy series but if they are really just "better" or have less wacky issues than the Pixel phones I may need to jump ship. Would love to not have my phone cripple itself after two years of use.

Does anyone have Pixel or other major-brand recommendations? Are those Z Flip phones any good? Every phone I look at seems to have some bizarre compromise - the latest Pixels look like they use a garbage under-screen fingerprint sensor and have weird battery problems. I just need a normal phone!

I haven’t heard of many issues with the pixel 8, and the pixel 8 is what I would recommend.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Glompers posted:

I'm in Canada, on Public Mobile, and I desperately want to get rid of my smart phone. My one desire is a full keyboard so I can at least reply to texts quickly, since I never was especially quick with T9.

That's proving to be a big challenge. I tried going back to a Nokia e71 but I didn't do my research thoroughly enough, turns out Canadian 3g infrastructure was canned in 2022 and with it any hope of using the li'l fella

Is there a qwerty feature phone / dumb phone that will still function in 2024? Praying someone can say yes

Your best bet is to buy an iPhone, delete every app and turn off the internet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Hello thread.

New Zealand is cutting off the 3G network later this year, and so I'll need to upgrade within the next few months. My current phone has done everything I ever needed it to, which is why I kinda ignored society's switch to smartphones. Behold, the Samsung GT-b2710:

My one's still going strong, still got memos to myself from 2013 on it.

So! I'm after a dumbphone that will never, ever, touch the internet, not even to update. Brick form factor, compact, preferably water resistant. Must haves: calling, texting, customizable ring and text noises. Colour screen optional. Must not haves: a touchscreen, modern mobile OS's that will probably break. I have previously bitten the bullet and purchased a CAT B35, which looked like it fit the bill on paper, but the second I tried using it I found that its embedded OS (KaiOS) was a unusable disaster, even after updating it.

So I'm looking for, how shall we say, hand-on experience? Anyone got a family member stuck in the stone age like myself whose phone they'd recommend? Yes, I know that the local mall will have a bunch of POS burner phones that I don't feel like buying a dozen of to find out how each is terrible in its own unique way.

If you are able to buy the banana phone, buy it

https://www.hmd.com/en_int/nokia-8110-4g

If not any Nokia flip phone is fine

https://www.hmd.com/en_us/feature-phones

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zenguitarman posted:

This thread is very helpful, but I'm still kind of a luddite when it comes to some things. Please help me understand.

My Pixel 3 is getting old. It's time for a new phone. Usually my wife and I just get whatever is on sale and a 2GB plan with Verizon. We pretty much always use all our data by the end of the month.

Is a prepaid phone just paying the entire price of the phone up front and you determine how much data you anticipate using that month? Is this generally cheaper?

Is an unlocked phone a phone that isn't tied to a carrier like Verizon and doesn't come with all the preloaded Verizon apps on it? We would then have to bring it to Verizon to activate it (for a fee)?

We really liked the Pixel 3 and were thinking about the 7, but we're not married to that idea. On consumer reports, the Pixel battery life scores lower. There is an unlocked Samsung on sale, which scores higher than the Pixel, but what we're primarily looking for is size (comparable to Pixel 3) and storage (more than 64GB).

Are you currently on the 2GB plan with Verizon? Is your plqn around $87 before tax, $99ish with tax ?

Prepaid is just not credit based. Because it isn’t based on your SSN, you pay up front, and there aren’t normally discounts on phones since it’s hard to enforce a contract without access to credit. However, since there are no phone discounts , plans are cheaper.

Verizon prepaid is $35 a line, so for 2 lines $70 before tax, probably $80 with tax. 15GB of data each.

Prepaid does not get as high data priority as postpaid (what you are on now), but given you only have 2GB currently, i think it could work for you. Data priority means if the towers are busy, you could see slower speeds.

I’d recommend the Pixels, although Samsung is also fine. There are very few small phones, most of all will be a bit bigger than your 3 at this point.

Let me know what questions you have. Fyi, if you want to go from Verizon postpaid to prepaid, it’s a specific department that does that, feel free to PM me and I can help you get in touch with that department (only if you want to).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Syfe posted:

Recommend me a phone (Specially a Samsung Fold)

I'm a bit trapped between the fold 4 and 5 for a few reasons and need some help, either from people who know more about phones or somebody who has one or the other.

1. I draw, so this is one of my main reasons for wanting a fold is the easy ability to draw wherever, whenever and be able to then transfer and work on that sketch elsewhere. Having it be my phone would be convenient. I'm also likely to game on it in some capacity. I like the look of the 4 s pen better than the 5 version which is pretty small and that concerns me.

2. The hinge, this is one that I lean toward the 5 on, because the 4 doesn't seem to close flar and is left on a slight angle. I haven't held either in person so I don't know how bad it is.

3. There are leaks of the fold 6 out there and I'm wondering if holding off would provide better sales. Since I don't follow phones at all, I have no idea how the marketplace reacts to new releases and if a substantial deal would be likely. (I'm looking at maybe $900 CND for the 4)

For reference my current phone is a Pixel 6a, I would be very interested in the pixel fold, but it's not in Canada and apparently has no stylus support.

The 4 and 5 seem to have only some minor differences with the hinge and a slightly better chip being the drivers.

Any help would be appreciated from people.morw knowledgable than myself on this.

Yeah don’t buy the pixel fold, you are correct there.

Fold phones come it in September, so I wouldn’t worry about a 6, not coming out anytime soon.

For which fold, I would assume the most recent is best, but here’s the Verge review

https://www.theverge.com/23826325/samsung-galaxy-z-fold-5-review-screen-hinge-battery-camera

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arson Daily posted:

Is this the place to ask about mobile hotspots? I travel extensively and hotel wifi sucks. I usually tether from my phone but it zaps its battery and gets throttled pretty fast. I'd need probably 20GB a month plus the hotspot.

What country are you in, what carrier and what is your plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arson Daily posted:

Sorry. USA on ATT unlimited with 30gigs of hotspot data

I don’t know ATT, but they likely offer where you can purchase a separate mobile hotspot to add to your plan.

For instance, the Verizon plan is $20ish to add the mobile hotspot for 50GB of data. So you just have to get a price quote from ATT.

Equipment wise This dude for $200ish is probably fine. Don’t get the $80 one.

https://www.att.com/buy/connected-devices-and-more/franklin-a50.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

What would be the best choice for a hotspot/similar for Verizon on a grandfathered post-paid $45-55 montly plan?

I haven't looked REALLY closely because it looks like they'd be looking for every reason to bump me off of that, and put me on one of their "unlimited" plans instead.

Are you on the 2GB or 5GB plan?

That said, yeah, you would have to go to the $80 plan and it won’t make sense.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

I am on the 5GB plan.

lol yeah, it won’t make sense.

You plan is $55 + $7 old plan sir charge (I know it’s dumb). So $62

Unlimited plan is $80 with 30GB phone mobile hotspot. If you want a separate mobile hotspot that’s $10-20 a month.

If you are military, teacher, student, nurse or first responder you get $10 off the unlimited plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Would there be additional possibility if the plan were to go pre-paid instead? Looking over on their website, it's looking like possibly, though not necessarily anything that's better unfortunately.

Prepaid unlimited with hotspot is $70 a month last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SpeedFreek posted:

In a month the company phone will be canceled and I have to port the number to my own device or get a second phone. Currently the company phone is a pixel 5 on verizon, I learned to hate the pixel mostly for its small fragile screen size and lack of stylus and verizon for only having 5g in a few places. I'll be getting $70 a month for the work phone, what carrier has the best rural nationwide coverage and will give me at least 10gb of hotspot data per month in that budget?

For phones if I want a stylus it looks like a used Note is the only decent option, I could live without one but it was really nice for marking up pictures and drawings without having to take out the laptop every time. If I'm willing to give up on having a stylus what else has a decent size screen and can survive a 1m drop in a case without the screen spiderwebbing?

Well, the best answer for durability is get a decent case. If your work has you outside a lot where you. Crunch phones , something like an otterbox is the way go.

If you want a Stylus I would recommend the S23 Ultra or S24 Ultra. They’re expensive phones, but the S23 you could probably find cheaper used (check swappa) and if you’re getting new service on postpaid T-Mobile or ATT you could possibly get a discount on one or both as well.

The coverage is hard to answer, because usually the answer is Verizon has the best rural coverage. If your current phone is unlocked you could always trial one or both carriers , it’s hard to give a definitive answer.

ATT single line plan looks to be about $76 a month. Verizon is $80. Add $6-7ish in tax and fees.

T-Mobile is $90 from the looks of it (including tax and fees)? They have a plan that’s $65 but doesn’t include hotspot from what I can tell. The lower plans for all 3 carriers you also get throttled at times of network congestion, which for some doesn’t matter, but if you’re already not happy with coverage, I would heavily factor in.

So basically, $75-90ish for the line. You could get a discount on a phone potentially as well, or buy an unlocked one if you want to. Note, any phone discounts are a 2 or 3 year contract.

There are cheaper prepaid plans, but they get lower coverage, so I donno if I would recommend it for you.

As a side note, if you or anyone reading this is like “golly, the pricing for all 3 carriers are super similar,” well, that’s what happens when the US Gov oks a Sprint T-Mobile merger with T-Mobile pretending that loving Dish network would come in as a replacement 4th option and keep competition / prices in check. Now it’s either “pay a good chunk of change to ensure coverage works” or “get cheaper prepaid but your coverage may vary wildly day to day.”

Anyway, rant over. I do highly recommend one of the 2 Ultras, and fyi to keep your number your work will need to provide you the account number and a one time transfer pin (they should be fine with this).