Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

You'd recommend these two, but not the Nexus S? The Evo 3D's a better choice for power users who will take the time to replace the stock ROM, but the Nexus S is the triple threat of being (a) reasonably-sized, (b) supported directly by Google, and (c) every bit as responsive (if not moreso) than today's dual-core offerings. The Sprint version's got WiMax, so he'd be covered there, too.

Honestly if you can live with the 16GB capacity limitation, I'd say the NS is the best phone available in the States -- and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I missed the "on contract" part of his post originally. The Nexus isn't a bad phone, and if it's reasonably priced used, it would be a good upgrade from the Optimus.

No way I put the Nexus up against the 3D or Photon on a new contract. Slower, only 512MB RAM, smaller screen, lower resolution, no SD card. The 3D is easily faster than the Nexus S, and even though Sense 3 is large in disk usage, it runs very very fast. I don't have much hands-on time with the Photon, so I can't give a good account of its performance, but there have been good reviews of it in the Sprint thread.

The 3D also has guaranteed root/unlock going forward, so it's a good choice for power users and should keep good aftermarket support as well.

The gimped HTC bluetooth stack is about the only minor gripe I have of the 3D right now. Others may have something else that bugs them, but that's the only thing I would change right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is it gimped beyond lacking L2CAP (wiimote) support?

Not that I know of, just my only minor gripe I can't find a way to fix without going to CM7.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's true that the most recent crop of Android devices have inferior DACs compared to the (original) Galaxy S, Nexus S, and iPhones. But it's might be worth taking some headphones into a store and asking if you can stream and listen to some music samples to see if you can really tell the difference or care.

It's definitely good to test this out, there are a lot of people using the free headphones that come with iPods/phones/MP3 players and are completely satisfied. If you use bluetooth audio instead of wired headphones, this is also a non-issue.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

SSH seems to be one of the precious few use cases where a phone with a keyboard actually offers an advantage. By and large, most people who think they "need" a hardware keyboard end up discovering after using the device for awhile that today's software keyboards are more than adequate.

There are decent alternatives for that, not as good as hardware keyboard but not bad options. The Hacker's Keyboard is one option.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Google Voice really needs to fix MMS support. (As I understand.)

I would prefer if MMS would finally go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

The software and support pedigree on the Galaxy Nexus make it a runaway superior choice over the One X. The One X has a bit nicer screen, a little better camera, and HTC's trademark catastrophe-in-a-pocket software stack smeared all over Android.

Buy Nexus devices or buy iPhones, seriously.

EDIT: and before someone comes in and is all "blah blah the new version of Sense is way less offensive than before," you're basically saying they switched from dogshit to organic dogshit. Android should never be skinned, period

Don't forget the gimped HTC Bluetooth drivers that can't pair with anything but headsets and other phones. Not a deal breaker, just another reason Sense is not worth it.