Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
  • Country/Provider: USA/AT&T now, considering switching
  • Contract Status: Out of contract, monthly
  • Budget: Around $85/mo, less if possible (plan), $600 or less (phone)
  • Features I Know I Want (phone): Only way I'm changing phone is if I'm changing to a CDMA carrier, if so look at the Sony K850i like I currently have and tell me what's similar.
  • Features I Know I Want (plan): Minimal minutes/SMS (used 113 and 95 respectively this month), unlimited data (used 4GB this month), tethering allowed

I'm currently on a 700 minute family plan with my mom and brother. I have 200 SMSes and unlimited data on my line as extras. No phone subsidies ever used in three years with AT&T. They have confirmed that I can transfer my line in to my name and keep my grandfathered status with the truly unlimited data plan versus the 5GB before overages plan that now exists. That plus the basic voice and SMS packages (450min, 200 messages) would be $84.97/mo plus fees/etc.

That said, most of my friends are on Verizon and the 3G data coverage is better on both Verizon and Sprint. I still find AT&Ts to be better where it exists, but I have VZ/Sprint EvDO coverage at my apartment where AT&T only serves EDGE.

I'm not a fan of CDMA networks to begin with due to the BREW platform's silly limits and general tendency of carriers to gently caress with the phone versus the openness of my unlocked unbranded GSM phone, but the coverage is better in my area and at least with Verizon my ratio of free mobile-mobile calls to paid calls would basically reverse, though how much that matters if I only use 1/4 of my minute allocation anyways is questionable.

Right now I do know that the only phone I saw in either Sprint or Verizon's stores that interested me is the same one I almost bought on AT&T, the HTC Touch Pro. I don't know if there are others I may have missed more similar to my Sony as being a feature-laden dumbphone, but as long as the Touch Pro isn't gimped too horribly it would be a possibility lacking any others.

Basically at this point a notably cheaper plan or a better phone are what it would take to convince me. Do I stick with AT&T and take their $85/month plan or is there something better out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Overbite posted:

I also looked at a LG CU500 but I heard the mp3 ringtones were limited to 600kb which is extremely tiny.

For something coming out of a cell phone speaker it doesn't need to be high bitrate. I've fit half a song on mine without problems and could probably lower the bitrate more without noticing for a full song. If you want more than a 15-30 second clip as a ringer you're an idiot anyways. It's a ringtone, not a jukebox, and the rest of the world hates listening to it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LRADIKAL posted:

I think the main thing is a non-fi phone may not be able to switch carriers smoothly? Maybe the wifi encryption? I've used old crummy phones on fi when in a pinch, and they've worked, but I don't know the downsides.

Non-Fi devices with a Fi SIM inserted operate solely on the T-Mobile network. They officially support arbitrary devices with their data-only SIMs, so check out the data-only coverage map for a good idea of what you'd be getting. As noted though a Fi-compatible device is required to activate a voice SIM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TheEye posted:

I'm guessing this is no longer possible with the new eSIM they're using? Would be nice to be able to temporarily use my old iPhone on Fi if my Pixel needs a repair or something.

eSIM is just for devices that support it (Pixel 3/3XL). Normal SIMs are still offered for all other devices and for their data-only addons, there are no indications that this is changing.