Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

The Blob remake is from 1988, is R-rated and is pretty gory. It also rules. I bought tickets to whatever PG movie was playing at the time and snuck into the theater showing it instead when it was originally released.

Oh yeah. For a little kid it was scary as hell. I think I saw on video when I was 8 or so. I was big into monster movies at that time and had just watched the original The Blob -- Blob 1988 scared the gently caress out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I was messing around on Netflix and I found this show called Fear Itself. It's like a tamer version of Masters of Horror, wiki says it's a direct take from it, with a bunch of famous horror directors making hour long episodes, Twilight Zone style.

I've watched the first four episodes (Eater, Community, Sacrifice and Spooked) and it's surprisingly good. There's some pretty graphic stuff in there too, with Eater being particularly hosed up at points.

It says NBC ran it during 2008-2009 but I can't remember that at all, does anybody remember or have any opinion on it? It's on Netflix Instant if you're interested.

I remember watching it. But I can't really remember specific episodes. I remember thinking it was alright though. Problem is I think I blended it in my brain with MOH.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The Indian segment is just fine, The Raft and The Hitcher segments are a lot better. All three are far better than The Father's Day and Something to Tide You Over segments from the first one.

Aw come on I liked Father's Day. It's funny.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

Over this past weekend, I was able to see Nosferatu in theaters with a live orchestra. I had heard great things about the movie, but I was surprised how much it freaked me out.

If you ever have the chance to watch this, do so. It's like watching a nightmare.

That's awesome. I recently rewatched it, the version on Netflix. I didn't really like the score on that one that much.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Orunitier posted:

Let Me In wasn't bad, but I had already watched that movie once before when it was called Let the Right One In. The only changes I didn't mind were the cat scene and scene with the kid's dad drinking with his friend.

E: Oh, and Ted the Caver is a movie now. http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/48400/afm-2011-first-details-and-sales-art-living-dark-story-ted-caver

Was all that crap about their dead father in the original story or internet thing?

edit: also it'g going to draw a lot of comparisons to Descent.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 2, 2011

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I noticed that Pontypool is on on Netflix now and watched it. Pretty neat idea for a zombie movie, even if it had a sinister francophone agenda.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Also a third act that I like to interpret as the audience being infected by the insanity inducing word virus, because what the gently caress. That is some serious "we are making a film filled with ACTING" crazy time.

Good crazy time. I could listen to that man's voice all day long.

Yeah. In the last 1/3rd of the movie it kind of matures into the B-movie it was born to be or something. It's definitely not as tense as the beginning of the movie, but it was still great.

woodenchicken posted:

I really should rewatch Pontypool, it was great. The moments when a person keeps talking and sudenly shows a word pattern that could be indicative of infection were so tense.

That part where the woman talks to her daughter was like that. Saying all the terms of endearment and everything. Or if anyone said anything with alliteration.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I know this is probably going to make you look for it and give this guy revenue he doesn't deserve, but never ever ever read the horrible book on which Pontypool is based. It is one of the worst things I've ever read and actually contains an Author's Note at the end (you know, when it's too late to use this book to make roaches) that basically says 'sorry for this book, I was young and stupid'.

There are some good parts of it that I wish had made it into the two followup movies Bruce MacDonald was going to make to Pontypool (the movie doesn't even cover a third of the book) but the writing is absolutely atrocious.

Was going to make? I though the second movie was in the works right now.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

After watching The Shrine, I'm convinced that casting directors of low/mid budget horror state "I need a white guy to stare at things in disbelief, second guess the protagonist, and spout lines that amount to "I told you so!" Get me one of those Ashmore twins! The movie one or the TV one, they both play the same type of guy anyways."

I fell asleep during the first 10 minutes of this. Was it good?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
30 Days of Night was a zombie movie.

If you think about it.

Think about it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I haven't built up the motivation to watch the American [Rec] or the American Let the Right One In. Should I bother?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Technetium posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea there were two Brolins. My world is collapsing around me.

You thought there was a single, eternal Brolin. This is a common mistake. They are actually more of a continuum of Brolins. It's like Doctor Who but with weird beards.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Pontypool should be amazing, but it wasn't directed very well. Like I can scarcely recall a single shot of it. Whatever merits the screenplay might have, there's no strong visual component.

People got really impressed by the language-as-a-virus idea, but that was already done way better in (for example) the 28 Days Later films, without drawing a big line under it.

If you're going to make a movie that's basically two people in a room talking, you'd better direct the gently caress out of it.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but how is the virus in the 28 Days movie associated with language?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In the very basic sense that it communicates an emotion. But it's also why the first shot of the film is of a TV screen, and there are lots of references to film and other media. Consider how many written notes there are left around in the film. Those old media (letters, paintings, films, etc.) are replaced by the instant 'viral' communication. They underline it with the speech about how there'll be no more films.

If that's all you're talking about then I think you're overstating by saying language-as-a-virus has been done before. I also think that your interpretation of 28 Days is so broad it could be applied to hundreds of movies just as easily.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
One thing that kind of struck me as a misstep by Sinister was the monster, Mr. Boogie or whatever. I thought it would have been a bit more creepy if it was just a regular looking creepy guy. Or at least go full on demon with him. As he is he looks a hell of a lot like Brandon Lee.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
How did so many people in this thread manage to see VHS 2?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I saw it at Sundance.

Well alright Mr. Fancy-pants.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I don't think they've been mentioned in here before, but this past week I saw A Bucket Of Blood (1959) and its 1995 remake, The Death Artist. Roger Corman directed the original and served as co-executive producer on the remake, which was apparently made for the Showtime channel. The two versions are incredibly similar, although there's some nudity thrown into the remake because hey, it's Showtime. The remake also has cameos by David Cross, Mink Stole, Will Ferrell (in his film debut), Anthony Michael Hall as the main character, and Justine Bateman sporting a ridiculous accent through the whole film for a single pay-off joke right before the credits. The trailer for the remake (which they included at the start of the VHS release) spoils the ending by including the last scene, so I'd have to recommend seeing the original first.

Both films are cute little semi-deconstructions/celebrations of people's fondness for gruesome art, and they work through just how much people in the art world can become wrapped up in themselves and their peers. There's a bit more sincerity in the original, since it's growing out of the beatniks, but the bullshit art terminology in the remake is better by virtue of having more time to develop.

Here are their posters, for comparison.

yeah, that was really the best version I could find

I had no idea there was a remake, that's neat. The thing that always got me about the original was that the clay he uses was still wet, clearly, but no one ever mentions it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Bucket of Blood is the old Corman black and white where the beatnik sculptor has to kill so he can sculpt by molding the clay around dead things and people, right? I seem to remember things starting off with a cat and getting out of hand quickly. I don't remember details (watched it on TV as a kid) but I do remember liking it.

Yes it is perhaps the greatest example of the Mooshing Clay On Dead Things sub-genre.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

schwenz posted:

I don't know why but when people bring up The Collector I get it confused with Blood Creek.

I wish there was a kicking sequel to that movie. Nazi Vampires rule.

Um that fine film was about Nazi Wizards, not Nazi Vampires. Sheesh.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

To be fair, a 27 hour birth sequence is a helluva lot more realistic than the, "my water broke, okay push for thirty seconds, now here's your perfectly healthy baby!" way that most other movies portray labor and delivery.

You forgot that it's a three month old baby and she cusses at the dad.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

WHY DON'T YOU GO CRITIQUE AN EPISODE OF MR. BELVEDERE?

The show so fancy you need an Ivy League degree to understand...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm still not quite sure what is going on with Darth Maul. Is he an alien, or is that an elaborate tattoo? What do the spikes do? They probably explain this, but it's not worth rewatching The Phantom Menace again.

Nah to get that info you have to delve into the wonderful world of the expanded universe.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

This is the best.

"Kevin"

"Witches"
"Sexy Witches"

That "Kevin is in a deleted scene" thing they said was a lie wasn't it?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

schwenz posted:

IGN: (spoiler) Can you elaborate on Kevin, one of the murder scenarios?
Goddard: [laughs] Umm, I cannot. I feel very protective of Kevin, and I like people to try and discover it on their own.
IGN: Was there a deleted scene with him?
Goddard: You know, Kevin may actually be in the film [laughing] I will leave it at that.

According to something I read Kevin looks like a normal guy, so he could be anywhere in there.

I've never done it before in my life, but I may actually read the novelization of CITW.

Yeah this is the exchange that makes me think he's just loving with fans.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 13, 2013

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

demozthenes posted:

Everybody should see Rawhead Rex at least once.

It features one of the best and funniest rubber mask monsters ever.

I've been wanting to see this based on the dumb name alone forever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The second Hellraiser still had those vampire elements as well, so I don't really get the original point anyway. The stripped down "only the insane stuff" version of Hellraiser was the third one, which is fun but really stupid.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

Well, Return of the Living Dead 3 has similar imagery and is also a whole lot less subtle about it, and for all the butchery the MPAA did to that movie they didn't really give a poo poo about that part of it, so I'd imagine they just don't really care about corpse sex. :v:

Well I mean as long as the corpse is consenting...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Volume posted:

If you don't own Castle Freak on DVD that's your problem to fix. :colbert:

Does he or does he not rip his own dingdong off in that movie?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite memory of the Saw movies is going to the dollar theatre, seeing a poster for Saw 6, which wasn't out yet, then seeing the poster to Saw 7/3D, which had next year's date on it.

Christ I thought there was only 4 of them.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

schwenz posted:

on an unrelated to film note. I started playing Amnesia last night. Words cannot describe my glee playing this game.

Amnesia is way cool. I can't wait for the sequel to come out.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

schwenz posted:

Just watch one and two and then stop.

And watch three if you want to see a CD demon throw CDs at people.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I don't agree that it's better than Carpenter's 82 version (not 89) but even if it were, it certainly wouldn't be because of the SFX. The Thing '82 is a masterpiece in that regard.

Yeah I saw the the 82 version for the first time a few years ago. There's nothing not effective about those effects.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

This. But be forewarned, it's a bleak slice of misery. Enough really can't be said for some of the choices the filmmakers made in relation to the use of the voicemails, casting and general atmosphere of it.

Yeah Snowtown Murders stuck with me for a few days. A really good movie that I never want to see again. It makes you feel sort of dirty and uncomfortable.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Just watched Blood Diner on youtube after hearing about it on the Flophouse podcast. It's really bonkers and weird and I'm surprised I had never heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0KNXj-noHEz

It's basically a very silly, low budget 80s gore(ish) movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Orchestrated Mess posted:

It's somewhat of a remake of Herschell Gordon Lewis' Blood Feast, which is also probably online somewhere. If you liked Blood Diner, Blood Feast is also super cheesy and low budget. Really true for the entire "Blood Trilogy" by Lewis, or a lot of his other films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpZzSse76o

Fake edit: Looking through Lewis' filmography I remembered really liking The Wizard of Gore and it turns out it was remade in 2007 and had Crispin Glover as Montag. So watching that sometime soon.

I found it the night I watched Diner actually, and am half way through it. Thanks though

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That problem does kind of lead to one of the series' best exchanges and moments so I'm willing to forgive it.

Are you talking about the part with the priest or whatever? I thought that was a bit hamfisted.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xandoom posted:

How's The Re-Animator?

loving great.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I also like how his character is basically treated like Superman in a Justice League story. When putting together the plot they said "Well if Burt has access to guns the movie's over in twenty minutes, gotta figure out a way to strip him of his powers!"

Tremors IV basically is an origin story, albeit with Burt's ancestor in cowboy times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gromit posted:

I have this on VHS and a VCR sitting in my computer room, as I've been meaning to rip it to my PC for ages now and never got around to it. If you're telling me it's on Youtube I guess I don't need to bother.

It's pretty lovely quality, though. You might want to check it out and then decide.