Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

The Remote Viewer posted:

The US DVDs have terrible re-done covers as well. I was trying to find pictures of them on Amazon and found this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Uncut-Kevin-Bacon/dp/B001K9OXDU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230725991&sr=8-4

They're releasing an uncut version of part 1 on DVD!

Personally I'm pretty happy about H2. I went in expecting the Halloween remake to be a trainwreck because of all the reshoots but I was pleasantly surprised.

They're also somehow releasing part 3 in 3D on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Part-3-3-D/dp/B001K9OXEE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1230756423&sr=8-1

Might be worth checking out..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The same guy who produced the Halloween: 25 Years of Terror DVD has one coming out next month about the F13 franchise. Looking forward to checking this out:

http://www.amazon.com/His-Name-Was-Jason-Friday/dp/B001L9EXNO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1231250872&sr=8-1

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I just checked the Kerasotes website and the closest theatre to me showing the 3D version is over an hour away. Crappity-crap-crap.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I found a theater about an hour from my house that's showing it (AMC in Barrington off I90). It's just too bad that the movie theater I can see out of my kitchen window isn't.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
We rented Slither a couple of weeks ago - it was pretty darn entertaining. I just wish Jenna Fischer's role would have been a little bigger.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

UncleMonkey posted:

So, tomorrow is the release date for the documentary His Name was Jason. I am absolutely going to have to pick that up. Sounds like it's pretty good.
I preordered it from Amazon and it should arrive by Thursday. I really enjoyed the Halloween 25 Years of Terror one, and I am very much looking forward to this.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
My wife rocks. I asked her what she wants to do for Valentines Day. She said she wants to make a nice meal together at home since the restaurants around here usually have limited menus of overpriced food on V Day, and then she wants to go see Friday the 13th afterward.

Did I mention my wife rocks?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

WescottF1 posted:

I preordered it from Amazon and it should arrive by Thursday. I really enjoyed the Halloween 25 Years of Terror one, and I am very much looking forward to this.

I wonder what happened - but Amazon hasn't sent my video. Now it's saying "Ships in 7-10 days".

I checked Best Buy's website and it's listed as backordered on there, and my local store doesn't have any so I can't just pick it up and then cancel my Amazon order.

Drat.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

UncleMonkey posted:

So, I picked up His Name Was Jason on my way home from work. I haven't watched it yet, but just in case you guys don't know already, it comes with some cool stuff, including a $5.00 coupon towards your purchase of a ticket for the F13 remake at participating theaters and a His Name Was Jason poster.

Where'd you get yours? I just got an email from Amazon saying mine won't ship until the week of 2/23. Ugh.

Nevermind - my local BB store didn't have any on Wednesday but now the site says they do. I go right by there on the way home from work and will swing by there in a half hour.

WescottF1 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 6, 2009

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

PsychoGoatee posted:

Man, I watched Friday the 13th part 2 last night, hadn't seen it in a while. Definitely a great one, I love it when he moves the whistling tea kettle. Even Jason wouldn't leave a whistling kettle on, c'mon now.

Plus even though it was early 80's and their look is a bit dated, I still think Kirsten Baker and Lauren-Marie Taylor are the hottest babes in the original series.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

evilontwolegs posted:

Ginny is, by far, the best (and hottest) final girl in the series.

Apart from the obvious question of what Jason was doing all those years between (almost) drowning and just happening to stumble out of the woods the moment his mom gets decapitated, I've always had two questions about this film.

2) Given what we know of Jason from the series (i.e., he's not that bright), how did he manage to track down Alice, look up her phone number and make a prank call all before slipping into her apartment unnoticed? Not to mention the question of how he got from Crystal Lake to where ever Alice is unnoticed. I've always imagined Jason 'Splinter Cell-ing' his way across town, his back pressed against the walls, leaping from shadow to shadow, pillow case on his head and his dead mom's decapitated head in hand.

I think the original premise they were going to use was that Alice went back out to the Camp to get some closure and Jason tailed her back to her place.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

evilontwolegs posted:

That would make more sense and explains the phone call with her mom where Alice argues that "this is just something I need to do."

Still... Jason uses a phone? Tails someone from one location to another? Sets up a 'head in the refrigerator' prank? Moves a tea kettle? It's all a little out-of-character for how he's generally portrayed, but I guess if you can swallow that whole "didn't really drown, saw his mother die" pill then a few character inconsistencies are no biggie.

Yeah - continuity has never been the hallmark of the slasher sequel genre.

That's okay. I'm mostly there to see the violence and tits-n-rear end. As Joe Bob Briggs would say "not too much plot to get in the way of a good movie".

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

PsychoGoatee posted:

And I just watched the His Name Was Jason documentary, quite fun. One thing I found interesting is how most of the girls from those movies are still hot. Jensen Daggett from Manhattan is especially hot still. :3:

Hell yeah she is. NICE hooters. Lauren-Marie Taylor and Debisue Voorhees are also still quite fetching.

The twins from Final Chapter didn't age so well though.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Slasherfan posted:

Back to the new one, anyone else laugh their rear end off when Trent screamed like a bitch?

Heh - everyone in the theater I was in did.

I just heard on the radio that F13 pulled in $42.2 million this weekend.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I thought it was hilarious - especially since I've never met a Trent that wasn't a total oval office like that guy.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

The Monocle posted:

I didn't see if someone already mentioned it, but I loved the Blue Velvet reference. I don't think anyone else in my theater caught it.

I got it. First thing I thought was "DENNIS HOPPER!"

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

knifehitz posted:

Anyone interested in this kind of thing should really check out Crystal Lake Memories, it is a fantastic and awesome book.

edit: Well poo poo, I'm glad I got this while it was still available, over $100 used on Amazon now. If I was going to pick a book that I would spent $100 on it would be at the top of the list, it's pictures are great.

Holy poo poo - I just bought that book from Amazon maybe 6 months ago. Glad I didn't wait. You're right, it's pretty drat awesome. The Making of Friday the 13th book is decent too, but CLM is top.

"His Name Was Jason" is an interesting enough documentary and definitely worth getting through Netflix if you only want to watch it once. It was neat to see how some of the actresses aged - Jensen Daggett (OMG BOOBS!), Lauren Marie Taylor, and Debisue Voorhees are all still hot, but the twins from Part 4 - not so much.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Slasherfan posted:

Doubt it, I mean if it's successful enough they'll make a sequel, if not they won't. I doubt it's a planned last one.
What would they call the next The Final Destination 2?

If they do, they should have the soundtrack comprised solely of songs by KISS, Ozzy Osbourne, and the Who - all three have done "farewell" tours in the past and then decided to continue on anyway.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I saw HII today and thought it was okay. The concert/party scene suddenly made me realize something though.

You guys seen that Walmart commercial where the woman picks up steaks and says something about how they don't eat steak that much but since Walmart's got cheap steaks she'll buy it? Then her husband thinks he missed her birthday or something stupid like that? I kept thinking she looked very familiar.

I'm pretty sure the wife is the same gal who played "TIIIIIINAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" In Halloween 5.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I was in Sam's Club over the weekend and they've got the DVD of My Bloody Valentine 3D with the four pairs of 3D glasses for $4.80.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You think Trick 'r Treat is good?

You should see Trick or Treat (with Ozzy and Gene Simmons).

In a perfect world, everyone would endlessly post gifs from it rather than Shark Attack 3, as Trick or Treat is infinitely more Shark Attack 3 than Shark Attack 3.

The bad guy kills people with the power of metal! :rock:

Don't forget the main character is played by the guy who was Skippy Handelman on Family Ties!

I picked it up on DVD at Target for $5. There are no extras or anything, but it's a hilariously cheesy flick.

The soundtrack by Fastway kicks rear end, too.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Part II is also my clear choice for best in the franchise, although parts IV, VI and the remake are all good too.

Plus Part II has the scene with Kirsten Baker and those Daisy Duke shorts (and full frontal later on). :quagmire:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Pope Guilty posted:

Was having a good time working through the Friday the 13th movies when I discovered that Netflix has 1-4 and 6-8. Stopping before the (well-deserved) end of the series is one thing, but missing one in the middle? Tsk, tsk!

They must have just removed 5. I watched 4 & 5 back to back on Netflix just within the last couple months.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

So now that I've got both Hard Rock Zombies and Rock N' Roll Nightmare under my belt, I need a third suggestion to round out a totally rockin trashfest.

Trick or Treat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092112/?ref_=nv_sr_1

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
At least with the first 6 installments, I find I like the even numbered ones a lot more than the odd numbered.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hey, Uncle Boogey, I think you mentioned in your podcast that Friday the 13th Part 2 was your favourite entry in the series. Could you expand a bit on that? Because I just watched it, and aside from the cold open (which is admittedly great) nothing about it struck me as particularly memorable.

Kirsten Baker :quagmire:

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Also his big plan is to wait in the bushes outside the Myers house and scare trick or treaters

"Hey! Lonnie! Get your arse away from there!"

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

The Senator Giroux posted:

I'm gonna second this. It's super long but I've watched it at least twice because it's so fun. It's pretty easy to break into manageable one or two movie chunks, too.

I preordered the DVD/Blu-Ray set from the production company when it came out and it included a third DVD that had a few more hours of extra interview footage. I think it's about time for a rewatch sometime this winter when I'm snowed in.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't think it was that bad, and it starred Steve Railsback so it had that going for it. It's not nearly as good as Deranged though.

The Railsback one is good but there was one that had Kane Hodder playing Gein (!) that was awful.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Sneak peek at the Leper from IT:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/183645/stephen-kings-first-look-leper/

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
The first 8 Friday the 13th movies are getting a Blu-ray set next month:

https://www.amazon.com/Friday-13th-Ultimate-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B077Y6R9W1/ref=pd_ybh_a_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SY4YXGR45M7KPSMMRT85

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Drunkboxer posted:

A lot of Henry Lee Lucas's "confessions" are pretty funny. He claimed he was recruited by a team of satanic assassin-ninjas because of his wicked sick knife skills, for instance.

Henry Lee Dynamite.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Best Friday the 13th song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ5-DoVVw1M

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Burkion posted:

It's got to skip Halloween 2 if they want it to be believable.

It'll be interesting to see how they address the "captured that night" line in the trailer as far as Michael vanishing from the lawn after Loomis shot him. I did like the granddaughter's dismissal of the "Michael is Laurie's brother" retcon from H2.

I'll be there opening night for this.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

DrNutt posted:

Yeah the lady who played Pamela Voorhees really deserved a bunch of hate mail/concern trolling from upset conservatives mad about the violence and it was really responsible and cool for Ebert to encourage that poo poo.

Adrienne King had a stalker harrass her in real life for a few years after she starred in F13.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Secks posted:

I saw it at the Drafthouse tonight too. So great to see it on the big screen. It's fun to notice details that you wouldn't catch otherwise.

I was only 7 when Halloween originally came out so I didn't see it for the first time until sometime in the early eighties. Probably on HBO or a rented VHS tape on my family's 19" TV.

It wasn't until I saw it on DVD on my 51" flatscreen that I realized when Laurie is looking out the schoolroom window and sees Dr. Loomis' hijacked station wagon parked outside, Michael is standing on the curb behind it staring at the school. Any other time I'd seen it before I thought he was just sitting in the car as on that much smaller screen the mask doesn't stand out from the house nearly as much.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Spatulater bro! posted:

Your family had a really lovely TV.

No argument there.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Spatulater bro! posted:

The scariest movie I've ever seen is a made for TV movie from 1989 called I Know My First Name is Steven. It's not even a horror movie. It's a true story about a young boy who gets kidnapped and lives with his sexually-abusing captors for like a decade. As a parent it's the most terrifying poo poo imaginable. So yeah, scary is subjective as hell.

That guy's entire life was pretty terrible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stayner

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Spatulater bro! posted:

I don't have time to read the Wiki right now, but didn't his brother end up as a serial killer?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Samuel Clemens posted:

Since we were talking about deliberately unpleasant horror films a few pages ago, what's the consensus on Blood Sucking Freaks?

The only movie that made me lose my appetite.

When I was in middle school we had a grocery store that had a better rental video selection than all the standalone video stores in the area and they didn't give a drat what we rented. Rented BSF and watched it at my friend's house. Afterward I went home and my parents had gotten takeout from the local Italian place and got me a meatball sandwich. I couldn't eat it.

Later on when I was in high school with some different friends we rented it along with Reform School Girls. Two delightfully trashy movies in one night.