Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Horror lovers of the Horror Megathread! Here's something you might enjoy!

A YouTube channel filled with vintage slasher/horror movies (as do its affiliate channels)

I'm finding it impossible to be properly nostalgic about that channel, as it lacks one essential ingredient: the little piece of paper telling you where to fast forward to for the murders and naked ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

schwenz posted:

My favorite jump scares are the ones that nothing actually jumps, but there is an unexpected image that makes your heart sink. The ones that really are effective for me not only make me jump, but have an aftereffect of giving me chills.

I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Oh wait, in Ju-On when you see the woman's silhouette in the window above the stairs.

The painting in Black Swan.

Mostly, though, "jump scare" is a misnomer because you aren't being scared at all. You're being startled, which produces the same adrenaline rush as fear. This allows directors who lack the ability to evoke genuine fear or unease to confuse the audience into thinking they're watching a horror movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

schwenz posted:

Developing a checklist of Do's and Don'ts to the genre in an attempt to differentiate what is good or bad horror is just a misguided attempt to establish yourself as some sort of connoisseur in a genre that really doesn't need any.

Jump Scares have been around since the beginning, and are used to elicit a response from the audience. They in no way cheapen a film. It's possible to not use the technique effectively, but using jump-scares does not immediately establish the film as sub-par.

Sorry, I was posting on my phone in the cinema and was briefer than I'd like.

Jump scares themselves are not inherently an abomination - one that stands out is the scene in John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness where Brian "wakes up" from his dream to find the possessed Kelly in bed with him. However, that scene is as effective as it is because it is bookended by two legitimately creepy scenes. First, Brian has the future dream that people have when they sleep in the church, except seeing Catherine in the door instead of the mysterious figure. Then, the jump scare, which in turn enhances the following scene where Brian slowly reaches out to touch the mirror. Even in this context, though, the jump scare is not necessary; it's just a bridge between the other two scenes, and the events of the first scene are sufficient by themselves to motivate the actions of the second.

What really bothers me is the sheer number of movies that rely completely on jump scares, which these days is about 95% of all horror movies that don't rely completely on gore instead. It just isn't necessary to have these things. Robert Wise's The Haunting is a brilliant horror movie in which nothing is ever seen. Even in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, the biggest scares in the movie involve no jumps, no gore and practically no violence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toriori posted:

What are your favorite movies that you physically own?

If you don't own The Thing (1982) then you don't have a collection.

My favourite owned horror movies are that plus:

Island of Lost Souls
The Fog
Prince of Darkness
Hallowe'en
The Exorcist
Rosemary's Baby
Night of the Living Dead
The Wicker Man
Quatermass and the Pit
Let The Right One In
Troll Hunter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Toriori posted:

I actually haven't seen Troll Hunter so I bought it to kick start my collecting. Thanks for the ideas so far everyone :)

It's a great movie, let me know what you think of it. A brief warning, though (minor spoilers): :siren::supaburn: TROLLLLLLL!!!!!! :supaburn::siren:

If you do enjoy it and don't mind subtitles, you might also want to track down a Finnish movie in a similar vein called Rare Exports.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RebBrownies posted:

I just saw The Re-animator and I absolutely loved the guy who played West. He was such a great character. The extras actually did a pretty good job as zombies, and there were some pretty gory moments. I really enjoyed the non-cgi effects.

You've never seen Jeffrey Coombs in anything else? Good grief.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Technetium posted:

Now watch the director's commentary with Carpenter and Russell because it owns. "Well, you see, we're walking here, and you can't see anything, and about ten feet away from us is a giant cliff that we can't see."

All Carpenter/Russell commentaries are brilliant. They're old friends and they're literally sitting down to watch their movies with some beers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Craig Spradlin posted:

Thirded and if you dug the constant suffocating dread and menace of Kill List but hated the ending, this is your movie.

I don't see why people rave about Kill List. It's a pedestrian movie with maybe one slightly disturbing scene in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

I've heard 'Kill List' critiqued in a lot of ways, but pedestrian? Please expand on that.

It's hard to go into specifics because it's a mood rather than an event, but the way the characters act towards one another make the whole movie feel like a kitchen sink drama. By the time I got to the walk through the woods I felt like I was watching Ken Loach's The Wicker Man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

acephalousuniverse posted:

Why? This is what films should do.

If you're watching a horror movie and don't feel like you're in the character's shoes either physically or emotionally, then there is no horror. There's just gory things happening to strangers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but is it not Henry?

See also: Man Bites Dog.

Either way, it's not specifically about being in someone's head but about being invested in the scenario. You can also be made to feel that way if the viewpoint of the camera puts you into the scene. That's why Kill List doesn't work; not only do we not gain access to Jay's head, the scenes are shot with the viewer as a third party. We're not involved, we're just watching what's happening.

An illustrative example of what I mean. There was a movie about 10 years ago called My Little Eye, the basic premise of which is "Big Brother goes wrong". It was filmed entirely using static cameras dotted about the house, and was also done down by many people for being uninvolving. However, many other people found it unsettling because they gradually realised they were being put directly into the shoes of the unseen audience who were deriving entertainment from watching people die - in essence, that they were the monsters of the piece. It was flawed, but it was an interesting concept.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, Season of the Witch is a lot of fun and has some dark, memorable moments.

Wasn't it written by Nigel "Stone Tape" Kneale?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xandoom posted:

So I watched Creepshow for the first time and loved it. Any more reccomendations for campy horror anthologies like that (I've seen Tales From the Crypt and am watching Creepshow 2 tonight)

John Carpenter and Tobe Hooper did a made for TV one called Body Bags. It's OK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Better than okay and it's coming out on Blu from Scream Factory sometime this Fall!

Also on the Vincent Price anthology front, From a Whisper to a Scream is pretty great as well.

You just reminded me of one of the best: Dead of Night.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

e; I see no reason to stump for Dead of Night because it's obviously great.

Because it's almost 70 years old and a lot of younger goons may not have heard about it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollis posted:

I would say that it was Night of Living Dead if only because of the results, but I agree it is a masterpiece.

In a way it did influence some of the Vampire movies of the 80s which I though were a lot more original vampire films in the 80s than now excepting of course a few. The Hunger , Near Dark etc.. were all great vampire films. I'm sure there are more. These are all I can think of right now so this is all I got for "realistic" vampire films.

Martin
The Hunger
Near Dark
The Addiction
Let the Right One in and it's remake
The Thirst

It's not quite realistic and it's not quite a vampire movie, but Cronos.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

zaphrowsedower posted:

Did anyone not like John Dies at the End? I felt it was too all over the place, definitely not up to snuff with Bubba Ho Tep which was another adaptation he cooked up, originally a Joe R Lansdale story. Do I need to have read the book to enjoy it? I just can't put my finger on it.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the book was interesting enough to read the sequel. I'm not sure how good a movie with an unreliable narrator could be, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Understanding what "the good parts" that were edited out for TV are also really changes how hosed up a line in Scream is.

Which one, out of curiosity? I've never seen an edited version, and it wouldn't be a US edit anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollis posted:

I don't think anyone should watch Guinea Pig, I remember a friend in college who's favorite thing to start playing on the TV when at a party was that movie. He'd even bring it to parties we went to and put it on their TV. He was a weird guy.

I think I am gonna start watching some more classics, like Eyes without a Face etc.. I mean I've watched the essentials of early horror. Freaks Suspiria everything Hammer all the classics.

I haven't seen the following films. Cabinet of Dr. Caligari , Eyes without a Face , Phantom of the Opera, Dementia so I mean pick one and I'll watch it.

London After Midnight. Come back when you're done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Carnivale was planned for six seasons, culminating with somehow tying together the death of magic and the detonation of the first atomic bomb.

I mean yeah, I'd dump all the money I could into a 2-hour tie-up movie kickstarter too, but let's not understate just how short that show was cut. :v:

I'm not sure you need to spoiler that, given that it's stated outright in the speech at the start of the first episode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xandoom posted:

I need more Netflix instant horror reccomendations. And it's gotta be something pretty obscure because I've seen all of the main horror films on US instant netflix.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounds douchey.

I have no idea what's on Netflix, but if it's there try Sisters by Brian de Palma.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

caiman posted:

It's the perfect Halloween movie.

Hallowe'en is the perfect Hallowe'en movie. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

penismightier posted:

John Carpenter Presents A Thing (1982)

John Carpenter's Ron Paul's Teeth (1995)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I have to admit that killing scantily clad women with a power drill is a somewhat inspired idea for a slasher movie.

If only Abel Ferrara hadn't done it first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

pomegranates posted:

Anybody have recommendations for tension filled, slow-burning horror films, that ever so gradually descend into madness over the course of the film until you feel like you're trapped in a weird fever dream? The Shining, Berberian Sound Studio, Possession, Polanski's apartment trilogy and everything David Lynch has ever done are the kinda thing I'm looking for.

Darren Aronofsky's debut, Pi, would seem to fit the bill.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Still doesn't beat George Foreman naming his daughter Georgetta.

Except Georgetta is a real name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Wait, did it? I thought the original ended pretty bleakly (IE, it becomes obvious that this is just part of her cycle, where she finds a vulnerable person, methodically separates them from society and then installs them as a fresh caretaker after the current one grows too feeble).

You need to read Let The Old Dreams Die. In fact, people just need to read everything John Ajvide Lindqvist has written (with the possible exception of Harbour).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Oh nice, based on the fact that you recommended it, I take it it's a satisfying extension of the original story?

It is, but it's not told from the POV you might expect. Also try to make sure you read Handling the Undead before you read the rest of the book, as one of the other stories is a sequel to that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Cabin in the Woods is structured around the physical structure of the installation or secret base or whatever you want to call it. The various levels- the gas station, the cabin itself, the underground facility- represent the mechanisms we use to repress our animal/feral nature, the thing inside everyone that lusts for the experience of fear or joy in the suffering of others. The structure of the base more importantly represents the structure and evolution of modern industrial society.

That's an awful lot of words to be completely wrong, Riddle. Cabin in the Woods is nothing more than a comment on how unoriginal horror movies are these days. The rituals to appease the Elder Gods fail if the sacrificial victims figure them out (or in America, don't act stupidly), but the same tropes have been used so often that in Japan even 12 year old kids know what to do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

frozenpeas posted:

No, but it's far better to enter a discussion with an open mind than it is to flat out deny that someone else's opinion has any validity solely because you don't agree with them.

What's that, Dawn of the Dead isn't about consumerism, silly, it's about zombies! Look, they're right there on the screen, eating people. Zombies like brains, not malls; you're just over-thinking it.

Dawn of the Dead was explicitly about consumerism because Romero said so. On the other hand, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Craig Spradlin posted:

Well, there's also Poltergeist and The Grudge just off the top of my head - the houses/apartments in those were new or newish.

Anne Rivers Siddons wrote a book called The House Next Door that was deliberately meant to subvert the trope - the house of the title is haunted even before construction is complete. It's a great book, I recommend it. The Hallmark Channel of all people adapted it for the screen a few years ago, and if anyone knows where to get hold of a copy I'd be obliged.

(On a sidebar, Hill House in The Haunting is 80 years old at the time of the movie but was also haunted from the moment it was built.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'd say the book is probably better (maybe my favorite haunted house story ever, though I've somehow never read The Haunting of Hill House or seen the movie), but the movie's really boss as well. It's a fairly faithful adaptation, but at the same time goes for an entirely different vibe; the movie is much more stately and low-key, whereas the book is much more visceral.

Unusually, I would recommend the recent comic adaptation as well. It's an excellent conversion of the story, and the art is fantastic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

schwenz posted:

I'm surprised that nobody ever picked up Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" for a movie.
Seems like it's ripe for the picking.

It would be very, very hard to film, I think. So much of the story revolves around Merricat's and Constance's history unfolding.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

So, based on y'all's love for this movie, I watched it just now. The secret to taming the ghost was to point out his Little Man Syndrome? And his body looks strangely like the man from the beginning? I really want to understand this film.

Belasco isn't Deutsch, if that's what you're wondering. And the secret wasn't so much about how it was done as what was done. Belasco was obsessed with control, and everyone who died by his acts in death and life did so because they allowed him to control them. Fischer wins by causing Belasco to lose his self control.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some nice news: Claire Bloom, who played Theo in Robert Wise's The Haunting, has been awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MantisToboggan posted:

Amen. The Blair Witch is one of the greatest horror films ever made. It always frustrates me when people who have no imagination criticize it because "nothing happens." It's the horror movie equivalent of saying that Citizen Kane is boring because it doesn't have any car chases or shootouts.

TBWP suffers somewhat from its viral marketing. If you haven't seen the side documentary Curse of the Blair Witch, several important things in the movie go completely unexplained - most significantly the house they find at the end and why Michael is standing in the corner.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gonz posted:

"DAT MAP WUZ YOOSE-LISS!"

Which turns out to be absolutely true. One of the things you find out in Curse but not in the movie is that Rustin Parr's house was burned to the ground decades before the filming. Once they disturb the stick men, they're not in the present day or the real world any more.

Oh, and you could look up Heather and the others on IMDB at the time. It wouldn't have done you much good, though, because their entries listed them as deceased.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Technetium posted:

Ghostwatch is really fantastic and was actually fairly creepy watching it at night. I can only imagine watching that when it was live was like the lead up to Blair Witch Project which I totally thought was real at the time. Oddly enough I was 12 at the time too and apparently pretty gullible.

I did see Ghostwatch live. It was good until the end, when it went too far and ceased to be convincing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, wait, I remembered one: Cargo.

It's terrible, like "Event Horizon and Alien 4 are sublime works of art by comparison," but there you go.

Event Horizon is a sublime work of art already. It just isn't a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of which, what are some horror films that prominently feature swarms of (regular-sized) insects?

The Swarm, obviously.