Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I can't wait to see Hereditary this week. Anyone seen it already?

i can't wait either; i've got tickets to the preview screening the night before and i'm hyped as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well i am sittin down to watch Hereditary right now and the vibes in the cinema are great. full, not packed. partner is off to buy a cocktail!! huzzah!!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

So how was it?

really really good. acting is all first rate, especially collette and alex wolff.

it's hard to seperate the film from the hype a bit. i loved it but it wasnt entirely what i expected. i cant wait to see it again.

audience reactions seemed extremely divided. i don't think ive ever seen so many people walk out on a film! those that stayed till the end seemed rapt though.

its a weird, deeply strange film. it really lingers with you; i can still see some scenes vividly in my imagination and the emotional heft it has is pretty tops.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fart City posted:

I’ll second Ravenous.

Ravenous is a loving blast, and I’ve never seen it fail to please a crowd.

:same:

that movie deserves more exposure

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Hereditary was really good for the first 2/3 then the story just wasn't for me. The production and acting were great. The runtime was fine, it's not boring, and if anything I would have preferred less horror. :shrug:

boooo!! more horror in the horror films

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Nun looks cool. she had all the best bits in Conjuring 2, and i like Corin Hardy's other film "The Hallow" a bit.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

all this punisher talk and very little punisher warzone appreciation.

if you ain't stoned and half-drunk at 3am, watching punisher warzone and loving life, you really need to block out a weekend

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ramadu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XenTM_C9fxM

so who else is hyped for this movie

it looks so stupid and ridiculous i cant wait

the first one was a lot of stupid fun too and this looks just bonkers

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Planet Piss posted:

What are some recommendations for some really bleak as hell movies? Stuff like Kill List and Excision, no happy endings. Don't say A Serbian Film because honestly it sounds stupid as hell

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance isn't really horror but has just a relentless series of hopeless people in terrible situations

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Snowtown Murders

in Australia this is just called "Snowtown" and it is absolutely terrific. just depression manifest

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

The Wailing (2016)

this is a terrific film

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I don't understand why everyone think that it's a movie about free thinking individuals against a religious fanatic.

do people really think that?? the main terror of the film is the weight of Summerisle's belief, even compared to the rigid Howie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly that reading of The Wicker Man makes total sense if you're not approaching the movie from a Christian context. from a non-Christian perspective Howie kind of looks like a tremendous rear end in a top hat who gets owned for being a dickbag.

i mean, the Summerisle's actually are sacrificing kids and are seemingly comfortable with it to the point that they think something "more dreadful" is needed to get their God's attention

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fart City posted:

re: Bleakchat, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but I'd put The Mist on that list. It's got its fair set of detractors (who are wrong), but the entire movie is based around the central premise that help... just isn't gonna come. And the bad poo poo waiting outside doesn't play favorites and leave innocent and good people alone. The sequence near the end set to The Host Of The Seraphim by Dead Can Dance is one of the bleakest experiences I've ever had in a movie theater, especially when you see the sheer scope of the destruction that has been wrought, and particularly when the webbed-up body of Tom Jane's wife is revealed.

Like the actual ending of the movie gets a lot of attention, but the entire film is really a slow burn meditation on hopelessness, and I can't think of anything more frightening or dire than being in a situation with no realistic hope to be found.

The Mist is a good film! but there's too much glee and joi de vivre in the glue holding it all together. similarly, despite incredibly apocalyptic and bleak plots, i don't find The Thing or In The Mouth Of Madness particularly bleak or depressing. it feels like Carpenter and Darabonte had fun making these movies, and that translates to the screen i think

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

The "how did he not got sued into oblivion?" pick:

Re-Animator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxQVnPXkJM

man this just reignited my love for reanimator and from beyond. guess i know what i am doin tonight

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

I'm busy laughing my head off at anyone thinking Mike Oldfield's career got wrecked by Tubular Bells. Oldfield has had a successful career for 45 years and is amazingly well regarded on the folk circuit for a popular electronic musician. He just never took the path to megastardom because he was always in it for the music, and because any time he needs money he can just release a new Tubular Bells album.

If you want to listen to more Mike Oldfield, pick up Ommadawn, Crises and the OST to The Killing Fields.

Hergest Ridge is also some terrific "get blazed and clean the house" music

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

On that train of thought though, maybe check out Haneke's Amour. The whole premise is depressing enough that I'm still afraid to watch it.

Amour is definitely the least emotionally-harrowing of Haneke's films and it still hits like a sack of rocks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

forget all you clowns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-upHSP9KU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Wailing isnt super bleak but god drat it is a great film how dare you

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I saw this movie once about a blind woman living in an apartment and i remember something about a cop? Someone was menacing her. I forget the name of the movie but it was like a 60s movie i think and it was really good so thats the best one with a disabled protaganist

it's from the 2000's, but were you thinking maybe of Dancer in the Dark, a Lars von Trier film with Bjork and David Morse as the menacing policeman?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancer_in_the_Dark

a pretty bleak film!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this looks absolutely terrific

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watch them, you won't regret it. they are just dang good films

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey what are some goons favourite silent horror films? i have seen nosferatu and quite enjoyed it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cool, thankyou! haxan / hexxen sounds terrific, i will check it out tonight.

i had seen the cabinet of dr caligari, but in retrospect wasn't in the best mindset to enjoy it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Adam Scott is cool and good and Party Down is a very very good show but this is the horror thread

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

And we were talking about the horror movies he's played in, and some left-of-center films that have some horror elements to them.

what i meant was i am not gonna mouth on a lot about Party Down

Krampus, though, is jolly good Christmas time family nonsense

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christopher walken as Dad Of Chucky

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i wish they made literally all of these freddy vs jason films. they are all great

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I hope the Chucky reboot is about a millennial mom getting a rereleased doll from her childhood for her kid who couldn’t give less of a poo poo about it. Kinda like the NES mini except if it could hold a knife.

Chucky's Putting Challenge

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zwabu posted:

The idea of being haunted and/or stalked via social media is already being explored in movies of varying quality.

unfriended 2 hype post

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I was watching Scream 2 last night. First, I really love this series. Second, the guy getting a pipe through his head when Ghost Face is driving the car is loving awesome!

scream 2 owns! timothy olyphant, laurie metcalf, the soundbooth scenes with dewey. what's not to love!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anton y, colin farrel and david tenant are all cool and good. Fright Night remake is pretty great

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i just watched the trailer for this and it was terrific. gonna watch it tonight

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

just saw a quiet place. well done and cool or whatever but it was really hard to swallow that these things came and took over the earth and then were defeated by their literal most obvious weak point. Reminded me a lot of Signs in a bad way

i mean at least in signs the invasion was over before it really began

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a recent jump scare that got me was the witch on top of the wardrobe in the conjuring. man, that gave me the willies for some reason

also that projector scene in new It was tremendous. best scene in that film by a country mile.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

The whole "buildup" to a jumpscare where the music goes loud and then suddenly goes quiet and the jump scare happens is lame

i totally agree. i think if you're the sort of person that listens to musical cues in films, you're going to be annoyed a lot of the time with jump scares.

there's a great scene in The Wailing, where a guy in a forest encounters the demon feeding on a deer. then it turns and looks at him and crawls towards him. at one point it disappears behind a rock, and you think it's going to be a jump scare moment, but then it slowly re-appears and keeps crawling towards the camera. they replace the jump scare with more buildup and dread, so you never get that release of tension. really great!

another one i really liked recently was in It Follows, when the tall man comes through the door. just terrific, because there's the initial misdirection of the other girl entering first.

also the diner scene from Mulholland Drive, which plays out like a weird, spelled-out textbook jump scare case study

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

Man, Masters of Horror is just... not good. A lot of unfulfilled potential. I feel like all the premises are interesting enough, but the writing brings everything down and the execution on most of them is pretty subpar.

I've been watching them in a pretty random order so far, but the only one that I liked was the Larry Cohen one.

i agree. describing it as "hit and miss" feels pretty generous, given how many of them are misses.

that said, "fever dreams in the witch house" is something i can sit down and watch anytime and always enjoy it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this was a really pleasant surprise to stumble onto on netflix

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I got a coupon for any rental for 99 cents on Google so I rented Ghost Stories. If you like anthologies it is a pretty solid one. I only have one real gripe about it but I'll let more of ya'll see it first. It's definitely good though. The first segment is legitimately creepy. The whole movie has this feeling of dread and off-ness that I very much enjoyed. Please watch Ghost Stories.

a friend of mine recommended this to me at work today so the universe is in synch. i will check it out for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

you should definitely nab Anthropophagous, cool film