Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, Lionsgate is one of the last major horror producers now isn't it? I mean, I imagine something would take the reigns if they went under, but we get few enough good horror movies these days, we don't need even less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Might be worth checking out in the theater for 3D gimmickry.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

InfiniteZero posted:

The (possibly NSFW) poster probably helped a bit .

And even better, the original uncut DVD is available tomorrow.

Wow I thought that was next week. Thanks for the reminder!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Pet Rock Band posted:

Should I be annoying and call theaters to ask if they have the 3D for the movie this week, or is it a fair assumption that they're all going to have the glasses and be set up?

I'd call. The commercial says "2D & 3D IN THEATERS FRIDAY", so it's safe to assume not all theaters will be equipped with whatever 3D wizardry is required.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

weekly font posted:

YES. I knew you'd know.

EDIT: Same kinda mask threw me off. God I can't believe how much 80s trailers gave away.

Yeah, I always got The Prowler and MBV mixed up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Innominatus posted:

I saw the 10pm screening tonight. I wrote this review for another forum (of hardcore slasher fans), but I see no reason not to crosspost it here:

May I ask what forum? That might be something I'd be interested in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Found a theater near me that has it in 3D, which was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'll probably go see it by myself during matinee hours, since all my friends make fun of me for wanting to see it :(

Will report later, of course.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally got around to watching His Name Was Jason. It was pretty good, and fun to see some of the on-set stories, but didn't really tell me anything I didn't know. Eh, not a waste of an hour.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Darko posted:

Wrong Turn 2 was fun and actually surprised the hell out of me.

Wrong Turn 1 was fun and actually surprised the hell out of me, too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ClydeUmney posted:

First full look at the new Freddy Krueger design - well, the action figure version:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/15769

You know, at first I was really unhappy with the new Krueger design, the new trailer, etc. I thought they were trying to make it something it wasn't - the ANoES movies were always bloody fun for me, with the wise-cracking Krueger and the over-the-top deaths.

Then I re-watched ANoES 1 a few days ago - while it didn't take itself totally seriously, it was still pretty ahead of its time as far as fright goes, and wasn't as "funny" as I remember the later ones being. If they play their cards right, they could take the idea and make it very very scary.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Slasherfan posted:

To be honest I've seen that ending and thought it was even worse then the theater ending. You can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ia0YqvG6g.
I don't like Demasked Myers at all, or the fact that he speaks.
I still think the only good sequence to Halloween 2 is the Hospital stuff at the begining everything after that is pure awfulness.

I agree. It started out really solid, and then devolved into one of Rob's wacky hallucinogenic horror dreams.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Slasherfan posted:

Anyone seen all the drama surrounding Saw 7 and Paranormal Activity 2?
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18845

Looks like Lionsgate are not to happy about the Saw VI director doing Paranormal Activity 2 so they are pulling out anoption they had on Saw VI to force him to direct 7.
I feel this is a really lovely thing to do on Liongates part, they already had a director for Saw 7 now they seem to only be doing this to try stop Paranormal Activity 2.

Or they could pull out an option they have to JUST BURY THE SAW FRANCHISE ALREADY

...buuuut, I guess if people keep buying tickets, they'll keep putting out movies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What is the current king of horror movie web sites?

I used to love Bloody Disgusting, but ever since they changed their layout a year or two ago, I haven't liked it as much.

I thought I found something great when I came across SlashFilm, but it wasn't what I thought it was going to be :shobon:

edit--- I gave BD another chance; it's not so bad.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 28, 2010

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Looks like the After Dark film festival started a couple days ago... anyone catching those? They're not doing it at any theaters in NC this year, and the films don't look that great this year anyway :\

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Pet Rock Band posted:

My roommate and I have been making non-stop jokes of the insane line delivery of "I will kill ALL of you" since we saw it on TV.

I WEEL KEEL OLL UFF YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've read a review saying that it was a great "gothic horror" style movie, and I've read a review saying that it was a terribly predictable movie full of badly-placed jump scares.

I still want to see it, since I'm practically gay for Benicio del Toro.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Y-Hat posted:

After seeing various commercials for The Crazies, I can't get over how blue it is. What is it about blue filters that screams "horror movie?"

I think it's the dreamlike quality that the blue filter brings. Personally I prefer non-filtered camerawork, like in the old movies.

Oh, nostalgia.

Hm, come to think of it, the Nightmare movies all used super heavy duty blue filter in Freddy's dream world. I may be on to something here...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

UncleMonkey posted:

If the intent was to make The Crazies "dreamlike" then they really, really hosed up the source material.

I just mean horror movies in general, I'm not saying that they're trying to make The Crazies seem "dreamlike" per se.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've just become so disillusioned with the reliance on jump scares - in all horror movies, not just the ANoES remake. They piss me off more than they scare me, really.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Slasherfan posted:

Here is the poster for Human Centipede, pretty decent poster. The movie itself is pretty demented. Saw it at FrightFest.

Is that the one where the doctor stitches people together mouth to anus to form this huge human worm that is self-sustaining or something?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr.Graves posted:

Watched Trick R Treat recently. I can't remember if it was suggested here earlier or not, but it is really good. Get your hands on it if you can, it's worth the watch.

I think it was generally lauded when it came out, and I definitely agree.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You post you quoted says "3-part series"

Granted, it's actually a 5-part series, but yes it's a TV show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Whispering Machines posted:

No idea how the movie will turn out, but I LOVE this poster. The trailer looked like Emily Rose x REC.

gently caress that looks awesome. I had no idea about this, I think Eli Roth can pull it off. He's hit-or-miss with me, but his hits are really good in my opinion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The ninth Hellraiser movie, Hellraiser: Revelations comes out next month. Why should anyone care? Well first off, you shouldn't, but this is the first Hellraiser movie to not star Doug Bradley.

Oh dear oh dear... that just looks stupid :(

Trailer below
http://www.slashfilm.com/hellraiser-revelations-trailer-ninth-time-charm/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Darko posted:

Haha, who the hell is that guy? he looks like an absolutely terrible Pinhead cosplayer.

HELLRAISER: REVELATIONS
Starring: Raul Julia as Pinhead

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The latest I've heard on the remake is that it's starting production late this year, the story will have nothing to do with the original book ("out of respect for Barker's work" or something), and the concept art for Pinhead looks like this:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

RandolphCarter posted:

Everything below the neck is kinda bad but I like the head.

I don't. One of the scary things about Pinhead is that everything about him is so cool and calculated, even the pins stuck in him with amazing precision.

This just looks like a crazy person, or something out of Thirteen Ghosts or something.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can watch any horror movie tonight, what should it be?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Technetium posted:

Comedy option: Tucker and Dale vs Evil because I loved it and it's hilarious.

I'm in the mood for a dark gory comedy, so this wins.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ClydeUmney posted:

Crud. That's what I had heard, but they showed the trailer at my local indie theater, who's going to be showing it as a midnight movie in a few weeks. I literally knew nothing about it, but I felt like it gave away most of the movie. That's a bummer.

I'm only about halfway through, but this is seriously one of the funniest movies I've seen this year. I don't care if you know every plot point in the movie, it's damned hilarious.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finished the movie, that was pretty drat funny. I've already recommended it to a few friends.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ZombieParts posted:

Did the Hellraiser: Revelations get any love here? I didn't see anyone talking about how awesome it looks so I figure it wasn't posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orWK-QlPSfg&

I don't know if "love" is the right word... most of page 105/106 was spent, erm, "discussing" this movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

justlikedunkirk posted:

This movie looks awesome but good god that title! Even when I have it in front of me and can remember it, it still takes me a few tries to say it because it's such a mouthful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Elaborate.

Seriously.

I'm interested in watching this movie, but I don't want it to harm my dog in any way :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WickedIcon posted:

Hey, shut your mouth, Opera is loving awesome. :colbert:

I always thought, "you know, those needles aren't doing anything, I'm sure she can close her eyes just fine."

Nevertheless, it's a cool image.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've been on an anthology kick the past couple nights, and I have to say, I really enjoyed Tales from the Crypt ('72) and Black Sabbath. The final story in Black Sabbath had some creepy images, but more than anything both movies were fun. Any other recommendations for fun, older horror anthologies? (I've seen both Creepshows of course) I'm thinking of viewing Twice told Tales next.

If you haven't seen Creepshow, that's something you need to rectify immediately. My favorite anthology.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Well that'll... that'll do just fine!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I tried to watch Lords of Salem, and I couldn't finish it. Maybe I was just tired, but a lot of the scenes just felt contrived and drawn out, with little to no payoff - which seems to be one of the things I find too often in Zombie's work.

Devil's Rejects is one of my favorites, but I haven't seen another that I liked as much. Oh well, I'll give the rest of it a go eventually.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Orchestrated Mess posted:

had no idea the guy was ill.

Same, ugh. I'm going to have to watch ANoES tonight in remembrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dreadwroth posted:

Jacob's Ladder is really good. So good, in fact, that it inspired the Silent Hill games and is the well most spooky movie folks dip from.

Didn't that whole "head shaking really fast with motion blur" trope come from Jacob's Ladder?