Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Slasherfan posted:

Poltergeist 2 is not only a terrible sequel (Like the creepy old man though), it has one of the worst blu ray covers I've ever seen.

I introduced my friend to the awesomeness that Phantasm II is, and he tried to carry it over and had us watch Poltergeist 2. The night ended there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I don't think I've seen this posted yet with the Event Horizon talk earlier but someone put out a gallery of photos from scenes cut from the movie.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/69459/take-look-event-horizon-you-didnt-see

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors and Wes Craven's New Nightmare are both excellent. New Nightmare isn't exactly "documentary style" so much as it's the 8 1/2 of horror movies.

The rest (bar the original, of course) are pretty bad.

edit: it's only just now that I realized you can simplify the rule to "Only watch Freddy movies with Heather Langenkamp in them."

I pretty much agree with this assessment, although 4 and 5 have some pretty good kills. I still have fond memories of part 5 for making me get sick in the middle of my mom's wedding.

Freddy's Dead is just...real bad. Like, he's just a murderous Bugs Bunny.

Also, Jason Goes to Hell IS real awful, but I actually kinda enjoyed the first...10 minutes? or so. It's also interesting insofar as they tried their damnedest to create a (real, real stupid) mythology for Jason.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

rxcowboy posted:

THEY ALL NEEDED TO DIE MOM BRING ME MORE CHEETOS."

I bet she did, too. His mom's a doer.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Hannibal Rex posted:

Despite growing up in the eighties, I never made an effort to watch the Nightmare and Friday the 13th movies until recently. I used to believe these two franchises were always about equal in quality, but having watched all of Friday, and the first three Nightmare films (and New Nightmare), there really is absolutely no contest. Even the apparently spurned Nightmare 2 has some fantastic imagery, like the transformation scene, while the majority of Friday films are about as dull as dishwater. There's this long streak until Friday 6 where almost all of the victims are completely oblivious that they're being stalked by a killer until they're down to the last one or two, and the film's almost over.

The only reason I see why Friday kept on as long is because they seem to have been dirt-cheap to make. Friday 6 was great fun because it fully embraced how absurd the entire series is, but it's a decline again from then on.

I also never realized before that the Great Humongous' hockey mask actually predates Jason's.

I'm curious to see how your opinion changes if/when you watch Nightmare 4-6.

I'm in a similar position, where until this year, I had only seen Freddy vs Jason, New Nightmare and the first of each series. In that context, I was a bigger fan of Freddy.

Since then, I've watched both franchises (sans remakes) and I've actually reversed my opinion: I'm way more into Jason than Freddy. There's something...sympathetic about him. He's mentally challenged and physically deformed, teased and only loved by a mother, who "learns" from her that bad teenagers should be killed, before seeing her killed. He's really just doing what he saw his mom do. Child murderer just isn't as compelling.

The kills in the Nightmare movies are more creative, but really, being in a dream, there's infinite possibilities. I also felt like the endings of most of the Nightmare movies felt cheap and easy, particularly Part 4, where the main actress just...I dunno, wills Freddy to die?.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Darko posted:

Because it's best to have absolutely no expectations at all before watching it, first and foremost. Expecting horror when watching that is the exact wrong way to mess up perceptions as you watch. I -never- recommend Audition as horror.

JP Money posted:

So on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad do your friends dislike you when they're done watching what they thought was "just some japanese movie" :p?

I heard good things about Audition and bought it, but definitely fell into the trap of "This is a horror film" and played it. At a Halloween party.

It was an awkward, awkward night.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

P-Zombie posted:

Guys, Friday the 13th: Part VI: Jason Lives was just on AMC and you all should have watched it. That movie is the most fun out of the Friday movies, has a nice sense of humor, and the climactic sequence is one of the best in the slasher genre. Seriously a dope as gently caress movie and it's sad that Part VII: The New Blood both poo poo on the ending of this one and only half-heatedly pursued it's gimmick, unlike this one which I felt just went whole hog with the zombie stuff, including that nice Hammer Horror opening.

It's a strange feeling to realize that the sixth movie in the series is probably the best, but here I am.

Don't worry buddy, Part VI is my favorite too and while the series was on Netflix, I told like 10 people to watch it.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I gotta say, my favorite part of Jason Takes Manhattan is when the survivors finally make it to New York and get help from the friendliest cop with the strongest Canadian accent.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Slasherfan posted:

The Psycho remake had to be the most pointless remake ever made, shot for shot, no changes (or extreamly minor ones), really what was the point?

They had to get rid of any semblance of subtlety. Norman watching a girl change? Better have him jerk off so the audience knows he's turned on. Girl murdered in the shower? Let's be sure to show her spread eagle over the ledge of the bath.

Honestly, the best part of that movie is that everyone is dressed in 90s garb, except William H Macy who was still dressed like a 60s private eye.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The new Maniac is on there now, as well as American Mary. Both are excellent.

Is it worth seeking out and watching the original Maniac first, or just go ahead and watch the remake and then go back at a later time?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

So I just watched The Stuff and boy did I feel let down. I really only knew about it from the fake commercial for the product, which was pretty brilliant, but nothing else.

The critiques on consumerism were brilliant, but I honestly felt like I forgot to do some assigned reading to understand it. I can now see it was also a parody of b-films likeThe Blob which explains the schlocky nature, plot holes and bad acting, but really I wish I hadn't gone in without that knowledge.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I was watching clips of Halloween in anticipation me finally ordering the Blu Ray and waiting to rewatch it.

Nthing the "it's gotta be watched" recommendation.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

As often as the Friday movies come up, I don't think I've ever seen anyone here post about Freddy vs. Jason.

Does everyone just hate that movie?

I just finished rewatching it. It was the first slasher I really watched in the theater, and the first one I actively sought out, so I have a soft place for it in my heart. But man, most of that movie is just boring. The acting is bad, and the kills are over the top.

But, I still really dig the guy who played Jason, as he had a sympathetic trait to him. And I enjoyed the initial fight between Freddy vs. Jason in the dream world.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

axleblaze posted:

A giant hand would have come out of the water and dragged Freddy and Jason to hell where they would have been forced to fight in front an audience of demons for all of eternity.

I was always partial to the other potential ending, where they keep battling until chains shoot out, lash into both of them, and Pinhead steps forward, asking "Now what seems to be the problem?"

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'm rewatching Carpenter's Halloween and sometimes I forget just how god drat amazing it is, top to bottom.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Can't speak for their quality but:

-Orphan (2009)?

I honestly didn't think this was too bad of a movie. The little girl in the movie had some pretty decent acting chops.

I will say there is a truly disturbing (in a bad way) scene when Peter Sarsgaard turns on the blacklight in her room to see these REALLY graphic sex paintings she did of her and him. She'd revealed to be an adult at this point, but it's still real unsettling.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Darthemed posted:

On a totally unrelated note, have there been any good 'killer RealDoll' films besides Love Object?

Well, the idea of a serial killer possessing a real doll is probably now the creepiest thing I can think of.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I thought Red Eye was a pretty good movie until the plane lands.

I like some of Craven's work, although Last House on the Left wasn't nearly as good as I had gotten the impression it was. The silent movie style cops just fit so poorly.

Of course, I also saw Cursed in the theater so gently caress Wes Craven (sometimes)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Might as well ask while all this Craven talk is going on: is Chiller worth a watch? I got in in a collection, but haven't really read into it. I think i was mixing it up with Shocker in my head.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

After you guys were talking about it, I finally watched Return of the Living Dead.

Holy poo poo, I hate myself for not watching this sooner! It was so well paced, great shots, great effects.

I can totally see why people hate the sequel. I watched it first a long time ago, and thought it was alright, but the original blows it away.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Phantasm II might be one of my favorite horror films just for the balls to make it a road film.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Zwabu posted:

Phantasm II is available via Cinemax on demand streaming. Will it screw anything up watching this if I haven't seen the original film?

It'll spoil the ending of the first one, including a pretty amazing scare sequence. But I've made people who don't like horror watch just the second one and they weren't (that) lost.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Volume posted:

If you haven't already, then you should watch the Maniac remake. It blows the orginal out of the water.

I literally just watched this last night. I liked the original just fine, although it got slow in places. The remake's gimmick works so well, the music is great, the gore is great. Can't speak highly enough about it.

except the fact he was a third generation mannequin salesman and restorer. That made no sense. I much preferred the idea of the guy just buying mannequins

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Part 6 is my favorite of the series, but god drat Ginny in part 2 is my favorite final girl of any slasher.

Slasherfan posted:

They all show his face, it's kind of funny how much it changes between 2 and 3 since they both take place a few days apart.
I can't quite remember, but isn't it something like 2 takes place a year after the original, but then 3 is a day after 2 and 4 is the day after that? It's something nuts like a 3 day weekend.

Best not to think of the timeline for those films. I think part 7 has to take place sometime in the late 90s...

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Does City of the Living Dead also have a scene where someone gets cut apart on a table saw?.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

acephalousuniverse posted:

Are you thinking of the head drill?

You're absolutely right. It's been a long time since I saw that movie.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Kraxxukalf posted:

I'll have a look, thanks!
And I had completely forgotten Hellraiser II takes place in an asylum, and I've even got the first 2 on my DVD shelf. Gonna add those to our list. Otherwise I've only seen Noes3 and Cabin Fever, both decent movies, but not heard of the Cronenberg ones, will check them out.

That one actually sounds like a lot of fun, will definitely check it out, thanks.

On a more psychological note, how is Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer? Michael Rooker is always fun to watch (Slither was good fun), and from what I can remember I've pretty much only heard good things about it, just never had the chance to check it out.

Henry is one of my favorite horror films. I would never say it is fun, but it's really well made and probably one of the more realistic takes on serial killers. It's super bleak though, which makes sense.

I rank it up there with Rosemary's Baby and The Shining on my personal list of horror that affected me.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I hated Freddy's Dead specifically for the Looney Tunes aspect. Looney Tunes is even the appropriate term, since there's a point with the deaf kid's dream where I thought "Freddy is literally Bugs Bunny now".

I have the oddest recollection of part 5, because I remember having a terrible fever at my mom's wedding. I was trying to relax before the ceremony, and my rear end in a top hat cousins changed the television to the girl getting stuffed with food. Shortly thereafter, the wedding starts, I have a high fever in the middle of a Georgia July day outside, standing there as the ring bearer, and right when the priest asks my mom if she takes my stepdad to be her lawfully wedded husband, I remember the kill scene and I puke everywhere.

It was fun rewatching that scene as an adult, though the rest of the movie is pretty boring.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Choco1980 posted:

Dahmer's not bad. The same company also did the film Gacy, and that's not bad either. Both are pretty standard docudramas of the real lives of the killers. I don't have Amazon Prime so I can't check if they have that film. Nor if they have This Ed Gein film, which takes the same slant but is better than the other two (and made by a different production company). It's kind of funny that Steve Railsback has now played arguably the two most known serial killers in US history (Yes, I know that Manson didn't do the killings himself, but that just means it wasn't his hands that did it, not that he's not guilty.)

I was actually coming in to mention that Ed Gein movie. I found the credit scenes in particular to be amazing.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Oliver Reed posted:

I said so earlier in the thread but the slasher film The Burning is, to me anyway, a mean-spirited version of the original Friday the 13th.

That's a really good call. The raft full of kids kill in particular is unsettling.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I feel like Halloween is way more mean spirited. Unlike Jason (in the later movies) or Freddy, he's just a regular guy. But the way he admires stabbing the guy in the first one, or the way he wears the ghost costume, or even setting up the tombstone tableau go way beyond the brutal, but ultimately quick and quickly forgotten, kills of Jason.
Halloween 4 and 5 in particular stand out to me, since his main victim isn't a teenager like most movies but a little girl. I was real uncomfortable for the last 20 minutes of Halloween 5 because of the psychological torture the little girl was going through.
I remember reading about how Kane Hodder refused to kick a dog in one of the Friday the 13ths because "Jason wouldn't do that". Michael doesn't have that limitation. (Anyone remember how many dogs he kills? There's a few at least)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Hasn't been posted yet, but it looks like we're getting another Friday the 13th reboot, this time (most likely) in found footage flavor.

http://www.thewrap.com/friday-the-13th-reboot-vhs-director-david-bruckner

The director, David Bruckner, is the one who did Amateur Night in V/H/S.

Doesn't look like anything is finalized yet.

The Senator Giroux fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 15, 2014

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I was really hoping for that story set in winter I kept hearing about.

It's a shame because I also thought the reboot was pretty good, especially how it kinda covered the first four movies.

Maybe this found footage one will be the retelling of the 5th movie, so we can get back to undead and snappin dudes in half Jason.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Phylodox posted:

Oh, man, part five, for sure. Tommy Jarvis bustin' out karate on rednecks and then, in the end, it's not even Jason, the killer is Roy!!! I loved that! Roy, the ambulance driver with the mentally disturbed fat kid for a son who gets offed in the first fifteen minutes!

Six is great, too. Personally, I think it's the pinnacle of the series, but it's kind of a weird alternate reality take on part five where Tommy didn't go crazy and just became a normal dude in an awesome denim jacket.

I remember seven being awesome, but something tells me my memory might be lying to me on that one. It did have the best Jason-with-his-mask-off make-up, though.

And, of course, Jason Takes Manhattan. It's just...man, it's a thing, I'll give it that. It's one of those movies you have to go into expecting it to be really, really, really bad...just so you can be amazed as it exceeds your expectations so loving much!

Part Seven was weird in that, for WHATEVER reason, the idea of a telepathic girl made me mad. Like, crazy murderer who dies and gets brought back as an indestructible zombie? Totally down for it. Add another element and I don't like it at all. It does have the great sleeping bag against the tree kill.

If you're gonna marathon the series, you might as well sit through them all. But if Jason X was too awful for you, then just go with 1,2,4, and 6.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Phylodox posted:

Maybe I phrased it badly: for whatever comedy might have been in the film, it's not played like it knows it's a comedy. It's a Friday the 13th movie with comedic elements, not a spoof of a Friday the 13th movie.

I was trying to think of how to phrase that, and you did it perfectly.

Something like Jason X (or the later Leprechaun) movies all just feel like the people making them are going "you guys like bad movies, right? Well, we're making a bad movie intentionally! but it's on purpose so we're in on the joke."

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

There are definitely some bad horror comedies, but I think they have a pretty good track record. Re-Animator, Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead, Dead Alive, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Scream, Army of Darkness, Sleepaway Camp II, Theatre of Blood, Hausu, American Werewolf in London, Ravenous, Motel Hell, Gremlins, Fright Night, Tremors, Dellamorte Dellamore, El Dia De La Bestia. Bubba Ho Tep, CineD point of contention Cabin in the Woods and of course, greatest movie of all time Evil Dead II.

I'd say for the most point (I haven't seen all these movies), there's still the element of seriousness to what's going on on-screen. It just so happens what's happening is ludicrous to the viewer, so we laugh, but Ash never looks at the camera and does Groucho eyebrows at us.

Plus, a lot of these still work as effective horror films in addition to comedies. I remember my girlfriend, who is terrified of zombies, really wanted to try getting over it with Shaun of the Dead, since she likes Pegg and company, and "it's a comedy". I had to tell her that despite being a comedy, it's also a real horror film with some real grotesque poo poo at times.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Also, on that list that was posted, Hausu was listed. If you're reading this and you've never heard of it, I highly recommend watching it on Hulu, going in completely blind. That...was quite the experience.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Henry, both Maniacs, and Ed Gein are really good. I wasn't as sold on Snowtown Murders, but the acting is top notch and there's some real unsettling poo poo in it.

I'd also recommend Zodiac. It doesn't focus on the killer as protagonist like the others, but there's some great scenes and the investigation is really interesting and how it degrades into obsession.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

katium posted:

I'm more ashamed that I've only seen one Hitchcock movie: Psycho. One of these days I will get around to watching The Birds and Rear Window.

I've see a bunch, but I somehow miss a lot of his big works, like Rear Window or Vertigo. I only saw North by Northwest in the last year. Psycho is amazing though. So is Rebecca although it's not horror.

I was trying to rack my brain for the big series or movies I haven't seen. I guess the Final Destination movies and Saw movies.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Are there major reasons for using Criticker vs Letterboxd?

I was wondering the same thing. I use Letterboxd and I really don't want to redo that process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Now that I think about it I don't actually remember anything specific about it so that probably wasn't a very good recommendation.

I saw Return of the Living Dead II when I was younger. Thought it was okay, nothing more.

Then I watched the first one, realized I hadn't watched it for so long before the sequel was boring, and now retrospectively hate it for keeping me from the first one for so long.