Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Full Moon's streaming service has teamed up with Blue Underground, and added a bunch of their titles. There's some pretty good stuff in there - Tombs of the Blind Dead and it's sequels, Don't Torture a Duckling, Black Belly of the Tarantula, and some more giallos I haven't seen but have been meaning to check out. Full list here: http://www.fangoria.com/new/full-moon-streaming-teams-with-blue-underground/

Has anyone actually tried Full Moon streaming? Unless the quality is total poo poo it seems like it might be worth it now, at least for a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Irritated Goat posted:

I generally agree. I loved everything about it until that last bit. It wasn't necessary and just ruined the atmosphere. :(

I adore that movie and the ending was redeemed ever so slightly by the ghost of Chris Kattan but yes, that entire ending sequence and the effects involved kills so much goodwill, it's a drat shame.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The best Horror movies of the '90s in no order based on my generally questionable taste and ratings:

From Dusk Till Dawn
Blade

You forgot Cemetery Man.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DeathChicken posted:

I actually really do like the House on Haunted Hill remake. It generally gets crapped on, but I thought it was one of those rare movies that was just silly enough to disarm you, then it would bust out some genuinely scary poo poo when you weren't expecting it.

Geoffrey Rush as Vincent Price is worth the price of admission.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
So some friends of mine found this epic brick and mortar video rental store, and they have tons and tons of stuff.

So, naturally, we decided that we're going to rent about four movies and do a marathon. A marathon of what? Horror movies. In particular, non-American horror movies. We're looking for really great international horror movies. Stuff that isn't on Netflix streaming, because otherwise we will have watched it.

Two of our slots are already filled:

1) House, the 1977 Japanese horror film by Obayashi.
2) Ring, the 1998 Japanese horror film by Nakata.

I thought I would turn to the wisdom of the internet to help us figure out what else we should try to get our hands on. So, goons, what films should fill out our list? Anything non-American, and not currently or recently on Netflix streaming will fit the bill.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

You guys got me to re-watch Return of the Living Dead. Thank you :wotwot:

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Grand Piano came out on itunes today. Any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEoM7bM7KVw

There is a really good part where [spoiler]Elijah Wood crumples up his piano chart and throws it on the ground and then the camera focuses on the background and you see a janitor shaking his head [/spoiler
]

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Green Crayons posted:

I thought I would turn to the wisdom of the internet to help us figure out what else we should try to get our hands on. So, goons, what films should fill out our list? Anything non-American, and not currently or recently on Netflix streaming will fit the bill.

Here's a good list:
http://www.criterion.com/explore/119-scary-movies

I don't think it's forgein, but Equinox is a good addition to any list

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Daveski posted:

Full Moon's streaming service has teamed up with Blue Underground, and added a bunch of their titles. There's some pretty good stuff in there - Tombs of the Blind Dead and it's sequels, Don't Torture a Duckling, Black Belly of the Tarantula, and some more giallos I haven't seen but have been meaning to check out. Full list here: http://www.fangoria.com/new/full-moon-streaming-teams-with-blue-underground/

Has anyone actually tried Full Moon streaming? Unless the quality is total poo poo it seems like it might be worth it now, at least for a month or two.

Oh that's awesome. The investment of my GF getting me a year's subscription for xmas just keeps paying off. The quality of the streaming seems fine. It's not HD level, but it's as clear as it'll probably ever be without high-tech HD remastering processes. Also, they never get rid of movies, only add more with a couple added each week. If you think you'll get around to it later you won't miss out on anything. There's the regular Full Moon section, a small section for the New Moon family line they did in the 90's, and there's a "grindhouse" section for stuff that's not Full Moon but they were able to grab rights to, whether because it's cheap, or because Charles Band had a hand its creation. They keep hinting that the Empire catalogue will slowly be added in, with montage ads for the site showing stuff from say, Troll and From Beyond. Crash and Burn is already on the site. Also, they have a "Wizard Pictures" relaunch where people can submit their indie low budget features, and Full Moon will distribute them. This is basically them horning in on the market that Troma has been the leader in for the past nearly 40 years. (Seriously, that's like 85% of what Troma has EVER done). Also, they've been starting to debut new Full Moon flicks exclusively on the site. So far that's included "Gingerdead Man vs Killer Bong" and "Killjoy goes to Hell". Also, when I got my subscription, I got 6 free blu-rays. A 6 month subscription gets you 3. You could do worse for less than 70 bucks.

Zwabu posted:

Phantasm II is available via Cinemax on demand streaming. Will it screw anything up watching this if I haven't seen the original film?

Well, if I recall correctly there IS a brief summary at the beginning, but you are really better off seeing the first (and best) one first. This is a series that uses continuity and assumes you've seen the previous entries.

Kvlt! posted:

Speaking of Ed Gein, the other day I met one of the psychiatrist's who treated him, it was actually really interesting.

And while we're on the subject, after the original, which one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies are worth watching? Not including the remakes.

As others have said, the second is worth a watch, but is completely different from the first film. Basically Tobe Hooper is reacting to the very wrong and exaggerated criticisms of the first film and going ahead and making the film that all the outraged critics thought they saw. It's outlandish with plenty of gore and black humor. The third film is rather boring in my opinion. There are a few good ideas, like taking the idea of the cannibal family to its extreme and including a child, and Viggo Mortisen does as good a job as he does in anything else. Also, there's one great moment where Leatherface is playing with one of those old kids learning electronic toys that pretends its a computer and can't figure out why the picture of a person keeps telling him the answer of "FOOD" is wrong. And I think I'm the only person on the planet that honestly enjoys the fourth film. It has a lot of weird stuff going for it and tries for a totally different direction of explanation behind things that gets really weird. And Leatherface dressing up in full drag while he listens to Marlene Dietrich just makes me happy in the weird areas off my brain.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Count me as another who digs the 4th TCM movie, if only for the batshit insane performance Matthew McConaughey gives.

I actually like all the TCM movies, one of the few Horror franchises that doesn't have one movie I hate.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Profondo Rosso posted:

The best horror movie of the 90's was actually Candyman.

I concur.

Also, since "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" wasn't really released until 1990, I'd argue that's a prominent 90's horror film as well to add to the list.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The best Horror movies of the '90s in no order based on my generally questionable taste and ratings:

From Dusk Till Dawn
Blade
The Faculty
Scream
The Blair Witch Project
Army of Darkness
The Frighteners
Tremors
Troll 2
The People Under the Stairs
Idle Hands
Candyman
In the Mouth of Madness
Dead Alive
House on Haunted Hill
Mimic
Deep Rising
New Nightmare
Ravenous
Night of the Living Dead
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
The Exorcist III
Demon Knight
The Relic
Tremors II: Aftershocks
Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
My Boyfriend's Back
Frankenhooker
Dr. Giggles
Highway to Hell
Terror Firmer
The Willies
Body Melt
Tell Me Something
The Boneyard

Based on the list, I'd probably give it to Scream, Candyman, Ravenous, Dead Alive and Blair Witch Project.

Admittedly, I haven't seen My Boyfriend's Back, Frankenhooker, or Idle Hands yet, so my argument is invalid as gently caress.

Let us not forget Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, Arachnophobia, Cube, It (not that great, actually), some Lynch, and a bunch of foreign stuff, including Audition, the Ring, I Stand Alone, Cemetary Man, Man Bites Dog, Ghostwatch, and a bunch of other stuff.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 5, 2014

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Skywalker OG posted:

Based on the list, I'd probably give it to Scream, Candyman, Ravenous, Dead Alive and Blair Witch Project.

Admittedly, I haven't seen My Boyfriend's Back, Frankenhooker, or Idle Hands yet, so my argument is invalid as gently caress.

Let us not forget Jacob's Ladder, Event Horizon, Arachnophobia, Cube, It (not that great, actually), some Lynch, and a bunch of foreign stuff, including Audition, the Ring, I Stand Alone, Cemetary Man, Man Bites Dog, Ghostwatch, and a bunch of other stuff.

Oh, yeah, man, you can't leave Event Horizon off that list. That movie scared my brother and me so badly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just picked up Frankenhooker on BD. I must find time to watch it soon.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
New York Ripper was a hell of an introduction to Lucio Fulci.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Event Horizon just barely missed making that list, I gave it an 8/10 and I only included 9 and 10s, I should give it a rewatch though.

Another one that might make the list with another viewing is Nightbreed, it's been a goddamn long time since I saw it.

Not a fan of Cemetery Man though

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Later this year (like, fall probably) the director's cut of Nightbreed comes out, so maybe you should wait for it?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

Here's a good list:
http://www.criterion.com/explore/119-scary-movies

I don't think it's forgein, but Equinox is a good addition to any list
This is perfect. Thanks!

Cunted
Dec 18, 2008
I have been binging through slashers with a friend as of late and I'm curious to know if there are any other dubious-to-good ones set in a camp/forest/cabin environ outside of the usual suspects (F13th, Just Before Dawn, Sleepaway Camp, Evil Dead I guess etc) ?

Also have there been any slashers set in the distant future? Only ones we could think of were Jason X and Hellraiser 4 though I guess they're technically set in space.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Don't Go in the Woods (the newer one), but I wouldn't call that good so much as bugfuck insane.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Cunted posted:

I have been binging through slashers with a friend as of late and I'm curious to know if there are any other dubious-to-good ones set in a camp/forest/cabin environ outside of the usual suspects (F13th, Just Before Dawn, Sleepaway Camp, Evil Dead I guess etc) ?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Seconded, thirded, forthed. Great flick!

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Burning loving owns

The Forest, Madman, Rituals, Just Before Dawn are all pretty drat good, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wizchine posted:

I concur.

Also, since "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" wasn't really released until 1990, I'd argue that's a prominent 90's horror film as well to add to the list.

Cheating but yes, obviously, it would be top 3.

Criminal Minded posted:

Haha, isn't it?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cunted posted:

Also have there been any slashers set in the distant future? Only ones we could think of were Jason X and Hellraiser 4 though I guess they're technically set in space.

Since your definition of slasher plays fast and loose, ther was the one Leprechaun in space entry.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember seeing My Boyfriend's Back when I was a kid vaguely, but from what I remember it was more of a silly comedy and not a horror movie. Are you guys just casting a big net genre-wise or what?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
Wait, how is Jacob's Ladder not topping everyone's list?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I saw it on your rec so I was ready for it to be nasty, but drat, it just got more and more brutal. Like, how are you gonna top a movie that opens with a woman being filleted from vagina to sternum, and yet it does that time and again. I also love how the tone of the thing is exactly what you'd expect if you told somebody they were watching a combination giallo/1980s NY exploitation slasher. That movie knows exactly what it is.

Now to get ahold of the original Maniac and some more Fulci stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I saw it on your rec so I was ready for it to be nasty, but drat, it just got more and more brutal. Like, how are you gonna top a movie that opens with a woman being filleted from vagina to sternum, and yet it does that time and again. I also love how the tone of the thing is exactly what you'd expect if you told somebody they were watching a combination giallo/1980s NY exploitation slasher. That movie knows exactly what it is.

Now to get ahold of the original Maniac and some more Fulci stuff.

Definitely watch Don't Torture A Duckling. Also The Beyond is one of the greatest of all horror films, but Duckling is top-tier giallo.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you haven't already, then you should watch the Maniac remake. It blows the orginal out of the water.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Volume posted:

If you haven't already, then you should watch the Maniac remake. It blows the orginal out of the water.

I actually have and love it, which is why I wanna go back and see the original. This song is part of my life soundtrack by now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwcZ0_5LVNQ

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Volume posted:

I literally just watched this last night. I liked the original just fine, although it got slow in places. The remake's gimmick works so well, the music is great, the gore is great. Can't speak highly enough about it.

except the fact he was a third generation mannequin salesman and restorer. That made no sense. I much preferred the idea of the guy just buying mannequins

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Criminal Minded posted:

Quack, quack, quack.

More seriously that movie has some of the best flesh cutting effects ever. That sounds terrible (and I guess it is) but viewers will know what I mean!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Coffee And Pie posted:

Geoffrey Rush as Vincent Price is worth the price of admission.

I have to correct people every time they write this :mad:

It's Geoffrey Rush as James Woods as Vincent Price :v:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Y'know, despite adoring the original Carrie I just realized that, besides Sisters (to which I'm pretty indifferent) I haven't seen any more of de Palma's horror stuff. Somebody give me a primer here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Y'know, despite adoring the original Carrie I just realized that, besides Sisters (to which I'm pretty indifferent) I haven't seen any more of de Palma's horror stuff. Somebody give me a primer here.

Definitely watch Dressed to Kill, I think it's De Palma's masterpiece. Blow Out's not quite horror, but it's close and it's also one of his best. I hear good things about Body Double as well.

whorfin
Dec 6, 2007

Cunted posted:

Sunshine starts as a decent sci-fi flick and then turns into a terrible slasher flick. Not what I'd call "distant" future, but, somewhat in the future.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Definitely watch Dressed to Kill, I think it's De Palma's masterpiece. Blow Out's not quite horror, but it's close and it's also one of his best. I hear good things about Body Double as well.

Body Double isn't the best DePalma, but it is the most DePalma. If there's something you love or hate about him, chances are it's in Body Double amped up to an absurd degree. It's a big goofy lark and I enjoy it quite a bit.

Raising Cain isn't really horror, and it's pretty terrible by any reasonable measure (it's even ugly as hell, and that's usually something you can count on DePalma getting right even if he messes everything else up), but the whole thing hangs on John Lithgow giving the hammiest performance of his life and for that it's a goddamn treasure. If the phrase "multiple John Lithgows trying to out-act each other with progressively sillier voices" doesn't do it for you then you can safely skip this one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

sethsez posted:

Raising Cain isn't really horror, and it's pretty terrible by any reasonable measure (it's even ugly as hell, and that's usually something you can count on DePalma getting right even if he messes everything else up), but the whole thing hangs on John Lithgow giving the hammiest performance of his life and for that it's a goddamn treasure.

Hammier than Buckaroo Banzai? drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hammier than Buckaroo Banzai? drat

He plays a guy with multiple personalities, and each one is dumber than the last. They frequently fight with each other.

John Lithgow portrays this with all the subtlety you'd expect.