Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

the_lion posted:

I have godox octagons umbrella softboxes (32" and 40") they're solid in my opinion.

Actually, some of my video rig gear is also godox. For lower end budget, it's been pretty good.

I have the cowboy studio branded version (30") and it's okay, A little clunky to setup and not super compact but it's cheap and works just fine on my ancient white lightning strobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Sorry for the double post. What is the general opinion on beauty dishes with speedlights? I'm looking at a a 16 inch one to use when I want harder light than soft box or shoot through but softer than just open firing the flash. I have read some online stuff saying anything smaller than 22" is a not worth the effort but I'm trying to minimize the size of my gear.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Sorry for the double post. What is the general opinion on beauty dishes with speedlights? I'm looking at a a 16 inch one to use when I want harder light than soft box or shoot through but softer than just open firing the flash. I have read some online stuff saying anything smaller than 22" is a not worth the effort but I'm trying to minimize the size of my gear.

I think a small silver umbrella is doing to do what you want and be far more portable.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Paragon8 posted:

I think a small silver umbrella is doing to do what you want and be far more portable.

Part of the reason I was thinking beauty dish is less likely to get picked up by the wind on location. I don't always haul sandbags and stuff if I'm just gonna do a couple of flash pops during a headshot session. I'll see if I can find a small brolly.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1214170-REG/nikon_4815_sb_5000_af_speedlight.html
"To help eliminate interruptions by frequent cooling cycles, the SB-5000 AF Speedlight features an integrated Hot-Shoe Mount Flash Cooling System with a heat-shedding design. This enables over 100 bursts at full output without overheating, which significantly decreases the potential for missed images whenever an on-camera flash is needed."

http://www.dpreview.com/news/6430959883/making-radio-waves-nikon-releases-sb-5000-speedlight
"The new smaller SB-5000 Speedlight also has a radically new design that includes its own internal cooling system, which prevents overheating of the flash panel from consecutive firings. As a result, the SB-5000 can fire consecutively for longer than conventional models, without flash cool-down time between bursts, and can fire up to 120 continuous shots at 5 second intervals."

Does anyone know anything about the SB-5000's cooling system? Maybe it's a Peltier effect cooler?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I picked up a cheap Yongnuo just to start with something manual and basic, but I don't have the metal stand it usually comes with. The ones on eBay are plastic and nothing looks particularly good... Are they generally ok? I just need something to keep the flash stable on a table, and have a thread on the bottom for hooking up to my gorilla pod etc. Can't buy anything big right now as kind of living out of a suitcase for foreseeable future.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

EL BROMANCE posted:

I picked up a cheap Yongnuo just to start with something manual and basic, but I don't have the metal stand it usually comes with. The ones on eBay are plastic and nothing looks particularly good... Are they generally ok? I just need something to keep the flash stable on a table, and have a thread on the bottom for hooking up to my gorilla pod etc. Can't buy anything big right now as kind of living out of a suitcase for foreseeable future.

Plastic flash stand things are fine, even higher end ones come with those not metal most of the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, hoped that would be the case. I'll probably pick up a 568 or a 560 or two at some point so I can bask at the glory of the metal stand.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi nerds

Talks to me about Yongnuo transmitters on Fuji bodies. I hear they do not work so well all the time? Sometimes? On some bodies?

I'm shooting XE1 and I have two Yongnuo 560 iii's. I ordered a 600TX transmitter but now I'm thinking I might just want to break the bank and buy their fancy LCD control one for $50. I don't know. DISCUSS.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My yongnuo transmitters work just fine on xt1, the only times they don't fire is if I set the shutter to electronic or mechanical+electronic but I don't think the XE has that option anyway.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Hi nerds

Talks to me about Yongnuo transmitters on Fuji bodies. I hear they do not work so well all the time? Sometimes? On some bodies?

I'm shooting XE1 and I have two Yongnuo 560 iii's. I ordered a 600TX transmitter but now I'm thinking I might just want to break the bank and buy their fancy LCD control one for $50. I don't know. DISCUSS.

They function just fine in manual mode. Be sure both silent shooting and electronic shutter are off.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Hopefully you guys can help me. I am very confused by all the words used in this thread because I am a complete beginner.

I've been doing product photography for awhile with natural light, and I like the way it looks. Using a background, not just a white backdrop, like this:

However, I want to work out of a dismal basement space with no windows. So I need to buy some sort of lighting setup that might look similar to natural light. I really have no clue where to begin, because there are lights that sit on tables and lights that are on big mounts and... There are a lot of options.

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping maybe there is a product photographer in here that has a holy grail setup that they want to share! Feel free to PM me if this is a bit too beginner for the thread.

cloudy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 29, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is my favorite book for learning about photography lighting and it's fairly product focused: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0240812255

To replicate those shots I'd probably use a big softbox or silk left of camera and slightly above the subject, with a big reflector of some kind for fill. For my personal setup that'd be an Alienbees B800 through a 3'x4' frame with silk on it, and then some foam core for a reflector.

You could think of it as trying to replicate the relative size and position of whatever window you got the natural light from for those photos.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Thank you! Just the kinda stuff I was looking for.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hey whats up it's just me, the guy who test fired both his strobes at 1/1 pointing down at his jeans and almost started a fire

Some people are too stupid to be trusted with strobes and I think I'm one of them.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
would've made helluva decisive moment

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any recommendations for backgrounds and stands? I want something black and cloth like that drapes over the floor a bit, mostly for 1 person but possibly two. Maybe something that can hold cloth or seamless paper.

Space is a little tight so something with a little adjustability would be good.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Haggins posted:

Any recommendations for backgrounds and stands? I want something black and cloth like that drapes over the floor a bit, mostly for 1 person but possibly two. Maybe something that can hold cloth or seamless paper.

Space is a little tight so something with a little adjustability would be good.

Buy one of these and 2 light stands and you can do paper; then buy some a-clamps for clamping fabric to it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Good call, I like that idea. I have extra stands so that will work out well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put 4 brand new batteries in my YN 460 about 2 weeks ago, used it a few times then put in my camera bag. I pulled it out now to do a test for something, and they're completely dead. I'm 99% sure I turned the unit off, but even so... that shouldn't have happened right? I won't keep them in the unit going forward, but I'm surprised they're completely drained. I managed to eventually get it to turn on, but there wasn't enough juice to charge up the bulb so it just sat there.

Tested with another set of batteries and they were fine. They''re the Kodak Heavy Duty alkalines which are admittedly cheap, but generally good in other devices. I'll be grabbing some Eneloops when I have chance, but this surprised me.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Same thing happened to me with my RF-602s recently. Did you have anything attached to the hotshoe? I stored mine with the transmitter nested on the receiver and the batteries in the receiver were totally dead a week or so later. I wonder if having something on the hotshoe closes a circuit and draws a small but significant current from the battery?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing attached to it whatsoever, that's why I was surprised. Dodgy Chinese design circuitry I guess, it'll remind me not to do it again at least (and I restocked up on Poundland's surprisingly excellent batteries today so all is good).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh oh, time to check my 560s then. They've been idle w/batteries. Going to be annoyed if they're dead since one of my 560s was full of non-rechargables that I could have used for something else.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How might one go about lighting a catwalk/runway with a few of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32175-REG/Lowel_O1_10_Omni_Light_500_Watt_Focus.html

Subyng fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 1, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Subyng posted:

How might one go about lighting a catwalk/runway with a few of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32175-REG/Lowel_O1_10_Omni_Light_500_Watt_Focus.html

Depends, how many do you have, how big is your space, what exactly are you trying to shoot?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
If you have enough to cover the entire run I'd probably go with rigging them overhead and firing them through 60cmx90cm softies or umbrellas if you don't care about getting light everywhere. Ideally you'd run them either side of the catwalk pointing in to avoid it looking really toppy but it doesn't sound like you'd have enough for that. The handful of runway set ups I've seen have used an undgodly amount of fixtures, even by cinema standards, but failing that it should just be flattering.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

8th-snype posted:

Depends, how many do you have, how big is your space, what exactly are you trying to shoot?

I have just 3. It would be for a fashion show type thing. The space I'm not sure but if I had to guess...the room is about 40x80 feet probably? And let's say the single runway only goes 20 feet.

XTimmy posted:

If you have enough to cover the entire run I'd probably go with rigging them overhead and firing them through 60cmx90cm softies or umbrellas if you don't care about getting light everywhere. Ideally you'd run them either side of the catwalk pointing in to avoid it looking really toppy but it doesn't sound like you'd have enough for that. The handful of runway set ups I've seen have used an undgodly amount of fixtures, even by cinema standards, but failing that it should just be flattering.

Yeah, this will be cheapo set up for a not-professional show. I clearly won't be able to cover the entire run, so I'm thinking just have 2 at the very end aimed inward? I mean, the alternative is ambient light..

Subyng fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 2, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Maybe use them at the end of the runway set up with two as side lighting and one key light angled down from over head? Three lights are just not going to light up the entire runway. You could grab cheaper fixtures like this http://www.amazon.com/Bayco-SL-300-Clamp-Aluminum-Reflector/dp/B007RKKEHA to bring up the ambient on the runway and then have the good lights positioned at the end for posing.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Sounds good..I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Battery question I have a Nikon sb-800 and just got an sd-8a for a steal to go with it. are panasonic eneloop the rechargeables the recommended battery? Also for battery chargers does it matter what brand I use?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Battery question I have a Nikon sb-800 and just got an sd-8a for a steal to go with it. are panasonic eneloop the rechargeables the recommended battery? Also for battery chargers does it matter what brand I use?

Eneloops are great. Some of the Amazon Basics are good, too - the reviews get really spergy which is actually pretty helpful.

Re: chargers, you want one that charges the batteries individually, and automatically stops charging the individual battery when it's full. This one's excellent but a bit pricey: http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the one I have and it's great. Really I think the ones you get packed in with Eneloops is fine too, but it's really nice being able to charge singles and bump up the charge rate if you need them fast.

Last time I check the white Amazon Basics batteries were the ones to get. They're the same cell as eneloops. Like dakana said, there are some weirdly in depth reviews that'll let you know which are which.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What's some good daylight bulbs for my softbox?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Guess who bought a speedlight?

SB-24 w/ 5dc via yongnuo rf-603

What tripod/head/thing/umbrella/octobox should I get to do actor headshots (no studio)?
Hi.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Haven't shot with off camera flash in a few years now, but busted out the hotshoe and a broken umbrella at a bridal session this weekend. I should start using flash again

Also, did Imgur change their compression? This photo looks like poo poo hosted there

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
gently caress the exclusive natural light trend ;)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
agreed, our spring has been super bleak. make own light every day

nl by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Guess who bought a speedlight?

SB-24 w/ 5dc via yongnuo rf-603

What tripod/head/thing/umbrella/octobox should I get to do actor headshots (no studio)?
Hi.

If you're trying to get away with a cheap portable step-up, this is a good start:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423625-REG/Impact_UBBW45_45_Convertible_Umbrella.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298709-REG/Impact_3117_Umbrella_Bracket.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/262758-REG/Impact_LS_6B_Light_Stand_Black.html

I've done a bunch of headshoty stuff with more or less that and a second background light.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Strobes forever

Anatomie : Andrew by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Vinture by bang3rachi, on Flickr

And then some black lights

BlackLight by bang3rachi, on Flickr

BlackLight by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thanks! I've gotten sidetracked and probably forecast the doom of this business venture by just forgetting about it until you replied, but now I'm back on track, or something :V

• Locked thread