Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that was my car (even though the title of the thread had just been helpfully pointed out) - it just happened to be a ridiculously large picture that I had on hand to show that 2000px wide images aren't that impressive so just put the lowercase l there like I did with the screenshot of the broken tables.

I saw the Fiata in the wild yesterday though, and put up a couple more pics in the Miata thread.

To atone, here's a utterly gigantic picture of my car with an 'l' after it.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

PenisMonkey posted:

Yeah, this has a lowercase L in it too!

Don't be so hard on yourself, my fellow Gray M buddy. We can't all have uppercase V's. :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Foiled again. You probably have the best AI garage combo (in the "have to include a wifecar" category) although Tremek and Das Volk (soloing it) come close.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Let's change the parameter to 'most horsepower from smallest displacement/weight'

3999 CC, 420hp, 202kg.
BMW S65.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Post the full version

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Once you're done using up those OEM Conti's, get some Michelin PSS's. Major front end grip upgrade (at least on mine they were), and they look cooler on the wheel as well.

In fact, go do a burnout for about 20 minutes now to hasten this process, you've got the torque!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I forgot you don't have mountains and curvy roads there in Orthogonalistan. :(

Imagine if you will, a situation where aggressive application of 'steering input' results in the front end of the car needing to make an abrupt direction change and relies considerably on the front right or left tire's ability to bite without losing adhesion with the road surface in a lateral fashion. It's pretty fun!

E: Brake dust!!!

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 2, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Please go run Road Atlanta, one of my favorite tracks. Would like to see/hear some video.

I ought to get my act together and get to Laguna Seca for same.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice. If you did post before, I missed those, looks pretty awesome. Chevy products beware.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

coolskillrex remix posted:

Considering the array of cars youve driven what did you think of the m3 seating position? I hear its pretty high compared to vettes/other sports cars

Compared to an Elise or probably a Vette, it's 'high' but compared to everything else I've ever driven it's surprisingly low-slung feeling (for a car that's not 3' tall) and it's always a weird feeling when I have to move my wife's car which aesthetically appears lower but feels like a Ford Fahv Hunnert after only driving the M3 for a while.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I pulled up to a SGM E90 M3 today at a light and looked over and said to the dude "Hey, nice car" - he was like 'Oh hey than--" and then registered that mine was the same but 2 doors, and laughed. Thumbs up were shared.

Definitely a lot of waves & pleasant chatter in the casually-met-on-the-road M community in SoCal.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sweet car. Color + palm trees in background make this. Please enjoy your cocaine responsibly.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Terrible Robot posted:

Big, fast euro coupes are the best.

C70 T5M (1 of 135 sold in the US, 603 worldwide)

Also sweet car. Finding a manual Volvo that's newer than a 850 is a pretty miraculous find, and a T5 as well. :cheers:

Washed mine.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 31, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Good looking color you got there, sir. :hf: I'm waffling over the idea of having my wheels painted darker and your car always makes me want to do it more.

But... did you use a Canon M3 to take the picture? Camera/car-model inception ftw :toot:
My mom randomly gave me one last year because she upgraded her gear and it takes pretty good snapshots. (lol)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Something about supply and demand.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Glad I bought my condo in LA in 2003 because it never went below what I paid for it even at the depths of the recession and it's worth nearly 3x now because I live 25 minutes from Hollywood/Burbank and demand is never going to go away for jobs in those locations.

I could have bought a 4 bedroom/3 bath/finished basement with 4 car garage and 3-4 acres of wooded lot in my home town for the same amount, or both sides of a shitbox Americana-style cheaply made duplex with zero resale value that looks exactly like the other 6 zillion units that are identical in a sub-development in Chicagoland, but it turned out I like eating sushi and seeing live shows too much. Oh and not shoveling snow.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure bolting superior german parts onto yer fahv hunnert hawspawr fancy Chivra-lay isn't going to piss off too many BMW people. It looks good, do a burnout at the start line again.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A buddy of mine has a Flex and I can confirm: It's a lot better than any SUV (rides like a car, isn't ridiculous to get in and out of the back seats) and rather stylish. Nice wagon-like.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Coincidentally, I took my E92 M3 out for a drive today too.

Beautiful day in SoCal:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Decker. Unbelievably quiet today, and got to the Net before noon so beat the rush there, too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Babby's first oil change :toot:

I will be whoring this thing out all the time. so prepare yourself.

Right transmission, wrong color & amount of doors.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Most cars didn't have cupholders until the 90's. I definitely remember those little transmission-tunnel ones in everyone's 80's american car, or they had the single-cup ones that had a little tab that slipped between the side window glass and the inner weather seal.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Are these aftermarket turn signal lenses? They don't match the reference material in Forza

:mmmhmm:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
All forza joking aside, your MR2 is pretty sweet. My wife had two Mk1's before I met her, and we actually were just discussing the concept of buying one for her now but I have no idea what prices are like - you seriously got that car for $3k? I would have said $12k considering how fresh it looks and the fact there aren't many left in unmolested condition (at least in SoCal).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Unless your car started from detailer-fresh in the last 6 months or so and just needs a wipe down, it's so worth just paying a pro $200 to do a full exterior for you because like he said, you're out the not insignificant price of the supplies to start doing this + an entire day of effort and you'll miss half the stuff the guy who knows what he's doing will get anyway. Also your hands will really hurt from all the fiddly detail oriented stuff that requires weird contortions to apply the right amount of force to clean, etc. If you're not used to doing poo poo like that.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I had a photographer at a car show tell me that 1/4 shots of cars show the best - like from the corners.

Also, I would love to see a Mazdaspeed 6 wagon conversion. I have been dreaming of Hi-Po wagon conversions ever since I saw this E92 M3 wagon conversion at SEMA in 2014:

That's a pretty not-M3-at-all conversion, it's missing the rear wheel arches, the different front panels, different bumpers, and the power bulge in the hood. And presumably the S65 and most of the other portions.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492494

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Some guy at my office used to daily a Prowler and it looked like a Korea vet's idea of a hot rod PT Cruiser and in the parkade when I'd see him drive by it sounded like an automatic V6 engine that redlines at about 3500 rpm.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's nearly impossible already to make PSS's (or PS4S's) slip on the street unless you're doing it on purpose. They are unbelievable on the E9x M3 and I can never understand when I see dudes saving $100 by going with crap tires instead.

Only problem is every single regular car person is constantly telling you "YOUR TIRES NEED REPLACING!!" because they come with so little depth of tread in the first place.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Opel GT, right? and it's a mechanical lever on the center console? This fits in with the C4 weird implementation

Yep, and they barely worked when the car was new. My mom had a '72 from new which got sold along with my dad's mint '66 GTO shortly after I was born (doh), and then he and I looked at probably 15 project GTs in the hopes of finding something we could handle finishing restoring in the early 90's, and not a single one of them worked properly in anything that was short of 'completely restored'.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm with Team It Looks Better Original. That looks like a 944 and a TVR Chimaera had very strong feelings for one another.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

So how often do you skid it?

Good work, your V8 M3 is finally cool AND good.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

eyebeem posted:

I should take a picture of my Abarth gauges when I get home. I think my trip 2 is currently at 2,000ish miles and 15-16mpg

Out of a 1.4L

VROOOOOOOM PSSSSHHHHH POP POP VROOOOOOOOOM PSSSSHHHH POP POP

How is this even possible? I get 14.0 out of my highstrung 420hp 4-liter V8 that I drive at 8300rpms/100% throttle everywhere and I guarantee it downshifts with a considerable amount more presence and authority than an asthmatic Fiat.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

flightless greeb posted:

Thanks for the super detailed write-up! I had an '07 E90 335i for a couple years and loved it but the maintenance just slayed me. I think a big part of that was going to an independent shop that had an insane hourly rate - basically any work I ever had done there cost me minimum $1k. I was kinda wondering how the M3 compares to the regular model for E90s and it seems like about what I'd expect. No big issues with the V8 it seems like?

Pretty much what Somewhat Heroic said, I've spent on average about $900 a year in maintenance on mine, that's a little less than 2 a year/4000ish miles between, at around $300 plus whatever other routine work it needs at the time of oil changes and the first year I had mine I had to replace the 7 year old battery which was something like $250 when all said and done. Both of my factory angel eye bulbs have burned out now after 30k miles/8 years (Mine's an '08) which is like $50 for the OEM bulb and 2 hours of your life/$50 in mechanic time to put one in (easier if you have dainty hands, I don't) and I daily drive it unless it looks like rain. My PO bought new PSS's 400 miles before selling it to me so I'm still good on those after owning it for 3 years this January, and I don't anticipate needing to do the brakes until next year (if then) which would be their first service since new. They will be pricey, but nothing really that much more pricey than any good ripoff visit to the dealer for ANY type of car. I'm still 50k away from worrying about the throttle actuators. It had 16,400 miles when I bought it and we're currently at a little over 30k.

I blackstone the oil every time to keep an eye on rod bearings issues (which has been extremely overblown IMHO, yes it's a nuisance to have to worry about but the actual rate of occurrance seems miniscule. People who don't have issues don't make posts.) I have to add about a half a liter of oil in between changes, but that seems to be normal/on the low end for this engine.

I don't even think about the mileage or the cost of gas, doesn't even factor into any thought I ever have about the car other than 'that was a fun way to use $4 in a loud fashion' every 14 miles.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GramCracker posted:

Really appreciate this E9X chat. I've always been curious to learn about what ownership is actually like and what the maintenance costs can be. I absolutely have a 6 speed E90 on my radar in the next few years.

I'm amazed to learn my 2.5L 5 cyl turbo is as fuel inefficient as your V8s.

Glad to be able to answer some questions.

If you go to about 2:40 in this video, you can see where I'm parked in that picture, the drive down to the coast - love when this road is this quiet we can dawdle and take in the sights - and then I run it just up to the, ahem, "posted speed limit" on the PCH once we get down there before slowing it by half and enjoying the scenery on the way to Neptune's Net. I had put in 'Race Gas' which is 98 octane and available at one of my local gas stations (we have 91 as highest regular gas here, the car would prefer 93) but since I run cats, not actual leaded real race gas before going out that day, the butt dyno & additional tire squeak out of corners said it made a difference, but it's not like it made a huge difference.

https://vimeo.com/206479242

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 1, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

GramCracker posted:

I've actually driven that road once - granted it was in a rental Chevy Malibu. When you turn that corner and the ocean pops into view, god drat what a feeling and sight.
The first time I drove it in the M3 was completely by accident because the PCH was closed south of Oxnard due to a rockslide, so our intended route was thwarted and we had to come back down the 101 towards LA via the Valley, I randomly put our destination (Neptune's Net) into the navi system and it steered us over that canyon - it was the clearest day I've ever seen in SoCal in 17 years of living here, I hadn't brought my GoPro, and that first view of the ocean is exactly like you've described. Amazing. I've done that canyon probably 15 times now with the GoPro running and it's never been as phenomenally blue as it was that first day.

That road is perfectly shaped for the M3's gearing and you can romp on it constantly in 2nd and 3rd without really getting too much speed built up/getting dangerous anywhere because it's neverending twists and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (which I hear have been improved on with the Pilot Sport 4's - if that's somehow possible) love to grip as hard as you can make them, and give perfect feedback through the steering.

Coincidentally enough, I was looking around on TV last night and scrolled into the original Fast & the Furious movie on one of the many Showtimes and seconds later - boom: Brian and Dom at Neptune's. Always get the steamed shrimp, never buy fries (they're a waste of shrimp room), and dip the shrimp in tapatio. Like shown here:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It might be cocktail sauce because Brian Earl Spilner is so goddamn white, but the hot sauce dispenser there does put out Tapatio.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Fast cars are allowed to be loud, slow cars no.

It's great that your V8 automatic detuned LS engine sounds like a Nascar, it really is. But should it take you 40 seconds to traverse the half block between my corner and the stoplight? The car seemed a lot faster when it roared off at 98db but apparently... hm.. I can still hear it just as loud as it was 29 seconds ago. Da fuq?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jymmybob posted:

One more picture to try to capture how eye-burningly bright it is with my good camera.

That's like a 50/50 mix of Riviera and Mexico blue. (Mexico on the right)

Looks great, btw.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How did the car fare after the Cayman wheel incident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Excellent to hear. Was worried you'd broken a control arm or something stupidly expensive to fix/trip-ruining since we hadn't heard back after the excitement.