Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My only mode of transportation

Luckily it has a 2-way limited slip diff so the copious amount of snow one gets in this region isn't a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

First new Vehicle. Wooo! Sadly not rotary powered but that's what the GF's RX-8 is for. (I will have an FC again some day)

I followed Jeremy Clarksons advice and bought something very green.

2012 Wrangler Unlimited with a 6 speed manual.
The Pentastars in these are really nice. Have both the hard top and soft top. Keeping it stock until after the warranty runs out will be difficult.
That being said I am not fond of the chrome and am trying to find someone locally who wants to trade the chrome accessories for black ones. Time to start lurking in the Jeep thread.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I thought roof scoops also had the added bonus of creating a positive pressure area in the cabin keeping dust out.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It has occurred to me that no one believes me when I tell them I run Super Advans as my winter wheels, I finally have proof. Plus I didn't have any recent pictures of the whole car. That's fixed now.

Now once spring finally arrives in this neck of the woods I can rectify the colour mismatch.

I love this car. Most fun DD on the planet.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

mattfl posted:

Enough of this blue car nonsense

My silver Jeep with friends lime green Jeep

Lime green forever!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

In spirit of the thread title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBtmDdyMqo8

The offending vehicle is a 2015 F150 Supercab 4x2 with the 3.5L Ecoboost an E-Locker and 3.55s. It weighs 4500lbs wet. Something this heavy should not be this fun.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

PleasusChrist posted:

That rear slidy window thing is fuckin weird.

Agreed - it does however have one very useful purpose - completely eliminates wind buffeting with certain window open combinations. I totally could have lived without it - sadly due to the big options I wanted, this came along for the ride as it were.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

There really shouldn't be any turbo lag. did he have the truck tuned to work with the intercooler mods?

The 2012 ecoboost i had got into it almost immediately. just a little "whoosh" sound and suddenly it was making power. It was almost problematic, because you would be crusing and give it a little more throttle and the turbos would spool and it would break traction.

Powershift is right, my '15 ecoboost is pretty much on boost immediately. Something isn't quite right with that trucks tune if it's not spooled right away.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Don't gently caress with it, dude.

This is what happens when you start loving with sub $1000 cars and are an AI regular - heed the warning.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Don't forget the Mercedes-Benz 560SEC. The most affordable of the three (in Canada) oddly enough.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

purchased a month ago, my first car is this little thing and it will surely be the death of me. at least we will look good going sideways into a ditch, i'm sure.

Hell yeah! Seconding 88, awesome first car. Steve Millen has you covered for go fast bits once you've adjusted to the stock speed of your Z.

Edit: And once the exchange rate gets better :canada:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Cold solder joint/cap/relay failures in all ecu/CPU modules.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So when's the engine swap happening? Cars with a low drag coefficient make great standing mile cars.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Details please! You don't see too many 5 litre verts around.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

People buy cars made after 2000? :confused:

RX-8's are wonderful vehicles if owned by those with the correct mental illnesses.

And since this is the post your ride thread:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Haulin a hot tub for a friend. we were quite tempted to fill that fucker with water.

What's the napkin math on the weight increase from that? Standard 6 man hot tub holds 1700 litres / 450 gal? That's 1700kg / 3800lbs?

:getin:

Edit: Actual content

I love driving this thing in the snow. Factory width Gislaveds are awesome! With the DSC and TCS off, every drive is the winter episode of Initial D.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I can't decide what's cooler, those BBS's or that TVR.....

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

In roadrace use, NCs are more durable in a lot of ways - bigger brakes, and with RX-8 hubs, much much more durable bearings.

To further expand on this, a lot of RX-8 chassis/suspension components are a direct bolt-on upgrade to NC's.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

They brap pretty good factory port and straight pipe to factory muffler!

Hack the muffler off and they open a portal to hell

They brap best while idling fire:
https://www.facebook.com/rotarytechrallycross/videos/246770675914075/ (Hats off to KaptainBallistic for sharing this one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QUBK8FLjTA

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DoLittle posted:

Yesterday we bought a Renault Twingo supermini for wife's commute. Registered late 2016 with ~ 10k miles on the clock. Four year/ 60k mile warranty. Mildly interesting technically because it is RWD and rear engine. Just a 1.0 three cylinder though, so certainly not sporty. The weight is just 940 kg (2070 lbs) so it is not too bad in below highway speeds.

I had no idea these existed. That is awesome! It's kind of like a French Kei car.

Have any more pictures?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

There's a factory racing 13G 3-rotor on RacingJunk now:
https://www.racingjunk.com/Other/183152755/Mazda-13G-3-rotor-.html

Only $13K.

:stwoon:

Uh...I think I might have to start selling some things...why is it that cheap?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's even worse if you want RWD, manual, limited slip.

You're left with Genesis and BMW at this point. Zero wagons at all in North America.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The newer TT-RS models with some APR goodies are drat near the reincarnation of the group B quattros.

They are so good.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Tremek posted:

It’s a done deal:

I have found more in receipts for modzzzzz than I paid for the car.

On that note, the car is bonkers. I’ll do a burnout soon.

Witnessed!

:perfect:

You rule Tremek.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Does the tow truck driver generally let you ride in the car on the way to the mechanic or does he make you sit in the cab?

FC #1: In the tow truck cab.
FC #2: In the car - steering lock didn't work.
FB #1: In the car - no room in the tow truck.
FB #2: In the tow truck cab.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

If you live somewhere where it does not freeze, there's really no excuse not to bag the daily and install titanium skid blocks.

Edit: Grammar and punctuation

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Mine as of two hours ago

2013 Ford F-150 STX. Regular cab, short bed, 5.0 V8 RWD.

Yesssss! Excellent choice. Now drop it and slap a Whipple on it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ultimately, power is power. Those turbo 4's, especially on E85 can make some serious numbers that even an F body v8 couldn't touch stock.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Based on what Bisimoto had done with them, I would say you could do a hell of a lot worse. The 3.8 has 6 bolt mains and can make 1000hp if you know what you're doing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Cross post from my project thread. Slowly fixing all of Fords mistakes.

The top of the roof sits at about 5'11" / 180cm and the top of my mirrors sit underneath the bottom of the mirrors on a stock 2020 F-150.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

love car so drat much

You're not alone. :circlefap:

How large are the rear wheel wells on it? It looks like it can swallow some wide tires.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I love this shot.

What are the chances you could recreate this in 1:1 scale once your kids have drivers licenses?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

tyrelhill posted:

speaking or rs3s: the one that raced (and beat in one run) the hoonicorn did the 1/4 at 7.9

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35479307/audi-rs-3-seven-second-quarter-mile/

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:
What the gently caress...

Audi unquestionably build another Group B car.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Need to add a silly tall antenna.

Center trunk magnetic CB whip

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Ranzear posted:

I've also wanted to do the RC car whip antenna for a long time, but it almost needs to be a silly neon PVC pipe with a coax cable hanging out the tip to look right.

Whichever auto manufacturer redirects partial regen braking energy to produce sparks off the radio antenna as a replacement for decel fuel overrun will be getting my business for life. Double if the antenna makes it look like an RC car.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

^^^^^^
That is awesome! The muffler location especially.

Crosspost from my project thread. After all covid related shipping delays, I finally drove it again after what was close to 6 months (I think).

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 30, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

So, how large could this be printed? 4m wide?

:allears:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Yes, there's an entire generation or two who think "high test" is better quality gas.

Hemmings Podcast had a very good episode with Sunoco Race Fuels on this and all other myths recently.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/03/23/dispelling-myths-on-modern-fuel-sunoco-joins-the-hemmings-hot-rod-bbq-podcast

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

When did Toyota stop the gold tint on their factory glass? It looks so very good.

White letter KO2s look dope as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Today the dumb thing I did was lease this truck. It is the wrong truck in the wrong spec with RWD and has 20” wheels but it is the right truck to lease as it had been on the lot for months and has the 4 pot turbo that GM introduced a few years back. So used aone examples from the leasehackrz forum to send an email to the sales managers and shrewdly negotiated a decent rate for it after GM money and my Costco membership. Now I must rice with having a 4 pot turbo full-size truck for 3 years. Oh wait leather and wood trim with vented seats because GMC :smug:

Yesssss. RWD truck club! So when is it getting a static drop?