Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finally got around to getting a picture of my new car, 07 335i with 24k miles on it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LO Technology posted:

Ok, besides having owned the biggest mistake in my lifetime (yeah, bi-turbo), let's use some math.

The fastest any vehicle can accelerate on a flat surface while depending on friction between the wheels and the road is 1g=9.81/9.82m/s². If you can't reach forward while being under the influence of 1g, you're just scared or seriously invalid - as in no arms.

Fun fact: The fastest a car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h is exactly 3.6 sec. That is if the friction between the road and driving tires is exactly 1.0. That will never happen on common asphalt and available tires. Reality is that the most slick asphalt and the best tires will provide you a friction coefficient at about 0.9. That gives us a min. of 4 sec. 0-100. Anybody that claims otherwise is a drat loving liar or just plain stupid.

A lot of cars (my old somewhat tuned Peugeot V6 included) can manage to accelerate 0-100km/h on the edge of losing friction (spin the wheels). On a FWD reality says about 6-7 seconds (1 gear shift) on a RWD or AWD it's a little better since you shift the down force to the rear while accelerating, but any claim of 0-100km/h below 4.5-5.0s is a drat lie.

I'll take your money from the dashboard.

This is either a masterful troll or you need to go back and relearn your understanding of physics.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

illamint posted:

I guess I'll join the club of 300HP sports cars with babby automatics :sissies:

Picked 'er up today. Smiling ever since. Can't sleep :D

Pick up a JB4 and you can join the 400hp club. Great color combo!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

VolumeBroadcast posted:

I own a 2011, its around 24mpg, much less if your in boost often. City averages around 16-20 depending again on the right foot.

Edit: This is with a full exhaust and protune.

Is there any reason that they get such poor gas mileage? My 335 has a bigger engine and an extra turbo with a tune and extra weight and manages 32 mpg highway and 15-20 around town (23 if I drive as slow as possible). Is this because of a lack of direct injection or because it's 4wd?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Picked up an 07 SLK55 AMG with 32k miles on it a couple of days ago and it's a blast! Luckily the weather has been cooperating and I've been able to drive it several times with the top down without freezing to death. The sound of the V8 is great and with the top up it feels like driving any other car.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Nice car, but what is going on with that antenna?

Yeah, there's a shorter one available that I've already bought and I'm waiting for it to get here, not sure why they decided it needed to be 20 ft long.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Can't you just hear an electric motor buzzing? The front wheels flicking back and forth with little clicking sounds? No? Just me?

Well, it did look like a lot of fun on top gear...

And to go with Das Volk, I remember the first car I posted here was my '92 MR2 turbo. Still miss that car sometimes. I'll have been registered here for 10 years in a few months, time sure does go by fast.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Hell yeah black and red interior buddy! :hfive:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

taketheshot posted:

Traded in my 2007 GTI for this:

2013 Ford Focus ST. Sucks that its been below 32 F and on/off snow showers the past couple of days...

Bob A Feet posted:

Traded in my 2010 Honda Fit for this:

2013 red Ford Focus ST. So much for no car payments :v:

edit- oh HELLO brand new ST buddy. What trim level? I got base, only thing the dealer had and I don't need no fancy do dads I just need straight up retarded amounts of torque oh my god

I saw one of these parked the other day and I must say, it is a fantastic looking car (I love the wheels and the neat center exhaust). Ford has really stepped their game up.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

AMG SLK chat: They are amazing. I've had mine for nearly a year now and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Having a hard top convertible is like the best of both worlds (except weight I suppose) in that when it is damp or too hot/cold outside, you can leave the top up and it feels like sitting in a fixed roof car. When the weather is good however, the sound of the exhaust with the top down is simply intoxicating. At some point in the next month or two I think I'm going to have the resonator removed and an X-pipe installed to add to it a bit. I'm not sure I can imagine myself in the future not owning at least one convertible in addition to whatever else. It's a generation newer, but I have had no issues with regard to my car so far. Everything on it is still in perfect working order.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Don't some of the German convertible have pop up roll bars? As in there's a little explosive charge that extends them and they lock in the extended position in the case of a rollover? I swear I remember seeing crash photos with the head loops / roll bars extended.

Yes, several do. The 911 for example has pop-up roll bars.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I love the adaptive cruise in my car. It's really great for when there's people in front of you that have no idea how to regulate their speed. It has made highway driving a lot more relaxing.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Finally got a chance to properly clean the 535i I bought a few weeks ago. Loving it so far.

Wish I had noticed how blown out the pictures were when I took them.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

DropShadow posted:

lol stupid stanced out 4cyl automatic station wagon*

*I love it

Glad you have that windshield decal or I wouldn't know what it is. Maybe make it a bit bigger though?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Tires are the only part of your vehicle that touch the ground. Get good ones.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Do a bur.. wait no no that's good well done.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Post pictures while driving? Does it count if the car is driving for you? :v:

Depends on if there's a fire truck around.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I miss my SLK55 sometimes, it was a fun car to cruise around in.

Also wow photobucket is just the worst.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Tremek posted:

Double secret wagon probation unless you tell us more about the V70R too. Preferably with shots of one next to the other.

Doing burnouts.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

I see this a lot but my old AW11 was loving rock solid in any conditions with fairly cheap tires. Other than locking up my brakes once avoiding an accident and getting a little diagonal, I never spun it out once and I drove it pretty hard.

Is it a SW20 thing?

I think it's a much bigger issue with 91-92 MR2s. They changed a few things for the 93+ to make them more stable.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Love the way those cars look, great purchase!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Tremek posted:

No chrome best chrome.

Your truck looks good and probably sounds great with the Coyote, congrats. I need to figure out what to do about the Merc, it's too chromey.

Wow, look at this guy over here with two raptors, show off! :v:

I'd say black out the window trim and maybe the fog lights and be done with it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Awesome. Gotta get someone to photoshop out the fuel truck.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I can completely understand not wanting a wagon if most everyone else has one since I myself have a terminal case of 'they have one, now it is not cool anymore :colbert:' BUT I can't come up with a reason why, practically, you wouldn't choose the form of wagon over sedan every time.

A lot of it probably has to do with wagons being more expensive, even when they were more common. If you're buying a budget car and the wagon is 10% more, that's a substantial increase when you're probably already stretching your budget.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm incredibly glad that my automotive ADD isn't nearly as bad as yours. I had a similar car once as a loaner and it was pretty fun. Of course that a was a base model with the automatic.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

Changed the oil and rotated the tires on the GTI today then noticed the mileage while I was resetting the service reminder.

nice

nice

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Kivi posted:

2021 Giulia Super, base model (200 hp petrol AT8) with no options. It’s been fun although it sounds like dirty diesel on low revs.

Such a pretty car, good choice!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Considering what we're used to this feels amazing in all respects. The biggest ding is because it's modern I can't hang my arm out the window, otherwise it's fast, quiet, efficient, pretty and comfortable. It's as fast as the 1J-GTE powered Toyota Cresta we had, as well as the revision 3 SW20 3S0GTE MR2 we had, but in a wagon.

Why doesn't your wife want the objectively-better wagon version of your guys' car? :colbert:

Sprocket loves it too because like us, he's old as hell.

Nice car, great color, and good dog. If it's as fast as the MR2 was though, you had something seriously wrong with it (same power, -1000 lbs).

edit: otoh they are fairly close, and you won't instantly be compacted in to a meat cube in the volvo

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 5, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The strap holding in the crushed door is really just icing on the cake.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Put myself on the list for a Lotus Emira:

Dealer reckons I'll get mine sometime around fall of next year to very early 2023, and should know more when allocations start getting sent out soon.

Getting the supercharged V6 with a manual transmission of course. Blue with yellow calipers like the pic. Tan interior and sport suspension set up. Not sure yet if I want the black top as pictured or body colored (with the wheels I'm going to get):

I'll likely have a custom printed vinyl wrap I'll be designing for it put on.

Was told the take rate for the manual is ~40%, 30% for V6 auto, 30% for i4 auto.

Pretty sure this is going to be one the final new sports cars you can get with a manual transmission. Especially one that's mid-engine. Cayman/Boxster and if you count it 911 are the only others I can think of.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah I'm kind of going back and forth on body color top vs. black. I will likely go with body color simply because if I want it to be black, I just wrap it for super cheap, whereas if I get the black I cannot easily wrap it to actually match the paint. It does have the effect of making the car look even lower though which is cool.

I was torn between the blue and green, but after seeing samples at the dealer the green is just too dark, and will end up looking black most of the time. The blue really brings out the curves on it. Also I will likely get the wheels powder coated bronze or copper.

Something like this:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah I think that's likely the way I'll go with it. And now to purchase a good UV mapped 3D model of the car so I can start working on a custom wrap for it. It's going to use palette of synthwave colors. I'm sure plenty of people will dislike it but :unsmigghh:

When I was considering a used manual R8 I did quite a few designs/renders. I'll have to see if I can dig some of them up.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Rolo posted:

I’m extremely stoked to see your process.

I can't find my backups of the work that I did, probably on a drive that isn't online at the moment but I have some test renders I did.

First step is to get a profile/overhead/front/back view of the car and trace it in to illustrator:

Put whatever you want on to that:

Get or make a 3d model of the car and UV map it and unwrap it:

Put texture of car from illustrator parts from UV maps:

Make fun scenes and whatnot because might as well:

I made tons of designs and whatnot but those are saved on the backup so these are what I have on hand. For the Emira I'm going to buy a proper high detail model:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It'll be a bit before I start working on it, but I'll take screenshots of the process and try and make a kind of mini tutorial. Depending on the shape of the car it can be really easy (boxy) or really difficult (tons of curves). I'll probably take a basic model to show how to do it since the Emira will be pretty complicated due to curves+high poly model.

The good news is that you can do it in blender for the 3D part which is free and actually good.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Went great until an oil cooler line exploded, kinda getting fed up so either its 2GR-FE time or I sell it and get a GT86/BRZ

I still regret selling mine 10 years later. I'm looking at the emira as a modern day version of it.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

track day bro! posted:

I still don’t know much about the emira even after watching the Harrys garage video, but it sure looks neat. I had an Elise on the list for potential replacements but as soon as I drove it I knew it would never work.

Not that it was bad to drive because it was a blast but, I have the stupid idea of beings able to drive around Europe. I’ve got the MR2 to a point where long drives aren’t a horrible slog, the ride isn’t spine breaking, it’s not too loud and it even has working aircon.

The next logical step would be a Cayman but I dunno Porsches leave me cold.

I feel the same way about the Cayman. Something about it just seems unexciting to me, and the 6 cylinder ones that could be more exciting basically exist to be flipped for insane markup. The Emira seems like it wants to be a track capable car but with more GT in it than other Lotuses, considering it can be had with either a sport or GT suspension setup. Even has storage behind the engine like the MR2 does. Should be much more clear at least in the coming months as people in the UK start to take delivery.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

At some point in the next few weeks I'll try and put together a little tutorial with it's own thread using free software so that there aren't any barriers other than time to do it (blender, gimp or something I guess?). I'll show how to import a model (there's many 'decent' free ones out there for different cars), make a UV wrap for it, use that as the template to make a texture for the wrap, then put that on the model.

I'll be doing it with 3dsmax, illustrator, and photoshop for mine which has... a bit higher barrier for entry. But it also lets me work with vectors more easily so I don't need to worry about scaling for printing, and design it in a CMYK color space on my calibrated monitor so it's as true to life as it can be when printed (among getting samples printed as well).

Edit: Also that design is simple enough that you could probably have the car wrapped in white and red at the appropriate heights, with a gold vinyl band over the seam.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Current printed vinyl lasts for 5-7 years, but that can be extended even more by using a clear wrap film over it, which can add anywhere from another 4-9 years of life to it. Like clear covers, they protect the more expensive printed vinyl from road debris etc.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It's 100% car dependent. Based on not only the surface area being covered but the complexity of it. Additionally the type of vinyl plays in to it as well, as cheap stuff would be a pain in the rear end to install, but have a lower cost material wise. If you're printing one and it has details that need to align etc, that would add to it as well I'm sure. When I was looking at R8s I was quoted 2.5-3k to have one printed and applied. That's a very small car, but does have some curves to it. When I get closer to doing this one I'll let people know what kind of costs it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

That sounds like an absolute rip off. Especially for a car that small. If you want to shop around, look for either car vinyl application places (they'll almost always be just a small garage with one or two dudes doing them) or for shops that do commercial vehicle wraps. You will be able to tell if a place does commercial stuff because they will have printers on hand.

Sun exposure, latitude, etc all play a major role in how long the film lasts. The top parts will need to be replaced more often (maybe every 2-3 years). Everything else would be 5-10 years depending on the brand of film.

It's not cheap, but it's also 5x cheaper than getting a new, good paint job. And it protects the paint. When you balance out the costs, you get around the same number of years with vinyl as you would with a new quality paint job. And it leaves the paint underneath intact.