Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
What's the current state of things regarding new orders from Mazda? If I'm wanting a specific trim and color cx50 for example (turbo premium plus, soul red), how big of a pain will it be to get if a dealer nearby doesn't currently have one on the lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Update, but may not be related to my last post:

I was city driving this weekend when suddenly my traction control light came on and the check engine light was blinking and I found that I could no longer accelerate but maybe an additional mph per minute.

When I came to a stop light I quickly restarted the engine and it seemed okay, I could rev the engine in neutral and I could take off from first. Second gear seemed to trigger the same issue again though. Also when reaching a stop without even restarting the car, the check engine light stops blinking but remained on and let me accelerate again.

Googling makes me think this might be called limp mode, but nothing in my searches has really answered what's causing it.

Monday I city drove to/from a place about 15min away and never once entered limp mode, though the check engine light was solid on the whole time. Makes me wonder if it's temperature related as it was a pretty hot day this weekend and a pretty cold/damp morning this Monday.

Anyway, I got an appointment for service tomorrow.

Never did get under the leather part of my shifter XD I just don't drive that much anymore now that I work from home.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Tremors posted:

What's the current state of things regarding new orders from Mazda? If I'm wanting a specific trim and color cx50 for example (turbo premium plus, soul red), how big of a pain will it be to get if a dealer nearby doesn't currently have one on the lot?

I ordered a cx-5 turbo "sport design" trim in Canada in early January 2023 and received it early May. The cx-5 is shipped from Japan so not sure how that affects things.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Tremors posted:

In the United States there is no ordering. Only allocations. Getting a dealer trade will probably be hard. You’ll have to call around to your dealers to see what they have coming in and keep tabs on Mazda’s inventory tracker.

If you’re in Canada… six months after an order?

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

I was able to put in a build order may 2022 in the US, and they mentioned it would take around 4 months then. I ended up having to withdraw it so it went to the lot to be sold to someone else instead; but per prior posts I wouldn't be able to do this anymore at present?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Richter Scabies posted:

I was able to put in a build order may 2022 in the US, and they mentioned it would take around 4 months then. I ended up having to withdraw it so it went to the lot to be sold to someone else instead; but per prior posts I wouldn't be able to do this anymore at present?

Every dealer I’ve talked to in the northeast said they were allocation only, and the posts I’ve seen from Mazda salespeople on various forums/Reddits said they were allocation only, like Honda and Toyota.

but it’s possible that it’s different in other regions or on the CX-50, which is built in the US (instead of Mexico or Japan).

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
This was just posted today about getting a CX-50 https://www.theautopian.com/it-shouldnt-be-this-hard-to-buy-a-new-car/

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Well that's unfortunate. I guess I'll get on all the regional dealerships' radars and hope one turns up. This would be my first time buying new and I thought that would make it easier to get what I wanted.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, I thought I could call and just request what I wanted and my local dealer would make it work. I had a relationship with them and everything, but they just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn’t know when they’d get what i wanted. This was back in February 2022 in the real tight inventory days.

TrueCar wound up being the key for me. A dealer in New Hampshire (about 30 miles from me) emailed me and had exactly the color/trim combo I wanted on incoming allocation and it came in below MSRP. Transaction was super easy, I put down a $500 deposit and I got my car two months later.

Looking here in the New England area, there’s zero Soul Red TPPs within 200 miles of Boston. I don’t know how many Soul Reds they make for CX-50s (probably less than for MZ3s or CX-30s) but if you’re holding out for a color you’re gonna be waiting a while.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 19, 2023

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Never underestimate the power of complaining on the internet. I looked at mazda's website again today and saw that they had changed over to the 2024 cx50 model year. Plugged in my config and found a TPP trim in Red that is in transit to a dealer 1.5 hours away from me. I contacted the dealer and it wasn't already sold, so I put my $500 down to secure it. We'll see if this perfect coincidence works out in 3-4 weeks I guess!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I hate to say it but I just gave a concierge $1500 to find all the options I wanted and haggle with the dealerships. They delivered it to me and I never had to talk to anyone. Dealers suck so bad, one tried to give the concierge a dealer plate "new" car with 2k miles and it was great just letting her deal with that. Eventually got one 3 states over and they registered it for me in my state and transferred everything it was so easy compared to the normal hassle.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Tremors posted:

Never underestimate the power of complaining on the internet. I looked at mazda's website again today and saw that they had changed over to the 2024 cx50 model year. Plugged in my config and found a TPP trim in Red that is in transit to a dealer 1.5 hours away from me. I contacted the dealer and it wasn't already sold, so I put my $500 down to secure it. We'll see if this perfect coincidence works out in 3-4 weeks I guess!

Soul Red is the one true color. Godspeed and welcome to the turbo team.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
That's why I got my Mazda through Costco auto (buying) program

You can get a better deal by putting dealers against each other and haggling, but for my first new car it was nice agreeing to their price and then paying it with no fuss. It's a free service too (with membership)

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I figured I'd ask this here while I'm at it. I'm trying to ballpark figures for downpayment and am curious what I might expect to get for trade-in value. I have a 2016 mazda 6 sport automatic with 59k miles. I'm in the midwest/chicagoland area. Apologies if there's a better place to ask!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
The shift guide has been worn down and will be replaced and the engine fuckery returned misfire codes. They took one of the spark plugs out and it wasn't pretty, so they're suggesting a general tune-up. And somehow the battery was low, so I get a new one of those too! Whee, more money out the door 🙃

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post
Got my GTX started yesterday, after 3 years in the garage.
It was supposed to be a one-winter de-rusting & re-grounding project but along the way we discovered:
- 2 bent con rods
- every wheel bearing sloppy
- every bushing rotted
- 60% of the wiring was corroded beyond saving
- fuel system like a sieve
- exhaust crumbled

So it turned into a Megasquirt, engine swap to a 1.6 (I'll write up the conversion later, it's less simple than the miata guys think but a lot easier than the protege guys said.) and a fuel system from scratch.
anyway after a lot of patchwork it runs again. The powerplant's made of a B6T from a 1988 GTX, VJ11 for the turbo, '90 miata intake manifold and fuel rail, '93 (i think?) coilpacks, and 1.8 clutch/flywheel. Distributor is clocked like 60 degrees retarded because it's also from the 1.8, but that's what we had. The 1.6 dizzies are massively ugly.

Anyway here's the goods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW3nQ0Co528

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm having a weird problem with my 2019 Mazda 6, my iPhone, Apple Carplay and Google Maps.

A couple of days ago, perhaps after an iOS or Google Maps app update, the multifunction button no longer works in the Google Maps app, when connected to the car.

It works fine in other apps, and using the touchscreen works fine too.

Anyone else experience this?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My friends 2019 CX5 is acting up. He started the car earlier this week and stopped getting audio out of any of the speakers. No matter the source, nothing works. He’s tried a soft restart and a factory reset, but nothing helps.

Has anyone run into this before? Hoping to keep it out of the shop.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

bolind posted:

I'm having a weird problem with my 2019 Mazda 6, my iPhone, Apple Carplay and Google Maps.

A couple of days ago, perhaps after an iOS or Google Maps app update, the multifunction button no longer works in the Google Maps app, when connected to the car.

2019 6 as well and yeah I think I have experienced this, though I haven't taken much notice of it so far, as usually I switch between Spotify which works (and havent used maps for navigation recently).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

kaiwero posted:

2019 6 as well and yeah I think I have experienced this, though I haven't taken much notice of it so far, as usually I switch between Spotify which works (and havent used maps for navigation recently).

Could you be bothered to try it out, at your convenience?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

bolind posted:

When you say multifunction button, which one do you mean? I can give it a try. Also lord the google maps interface on the phone has gotten bad. Controversial take: I think Apple Maps might be better these days. I generally use it or Waze when going long distance.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

bolind posted:

Could you be bothered to try it out, at your convenience?

Ahh sorry misread the CarPlay - Im using Android Auto and there was a similar issue I had in google maps going back into its multi app display that I wasnt experiencing in other apps.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

My Mazda3 is in the body shop because while it was in a parking lot someone decided it looked better with the front bumper hanging off the car rather than attached to it.

Anyways, rental company gave me a CX-30 which is okay. I just have to ask what sort of drugs were Mazda engineers on when they designed the seek forward/back button on the steering wheel? It's a rocker style button where up seeks one way, down seeks the other, but for reasons known only to Oromasdes they decided to add a third function to this button by making it change audio sources when pressed down. The slightest misapplication of force when trying to skip forward/back kicks you over to another audio source. Do the better trim levels get steering wheel controls that don't suck? The center console volume knob can handle seeking with sideways pushes so why bother with such a terrible quarter-assed effort on the steering wheel?

Thanks I'll take a #5 with a Sprite.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
You get used to it, usually by putting your thumb or whatever on the bottom/top side of the rocker and not on the face of it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Cannot be that bad like a BMW I drove once for about 30 min. The signal stick in that doesn't work like normal things do. You move it up or down like normal, but then it doesn't stay there, comes back straight. To stop signalling, you have to move it again up or down. I suppose one gets used to it after a while, but it's such a head scratcher, such an idiotic design ... wtf were they thinking?

Or a Mercedes Benz I drove once for 10 minutes (test drive): the "gear" (it was automatic) stick was by the steering wheel where normally the windshield wiper was (on the right). Same shape, size and everything like a windshield wiper stick. The signalling stick and wiper stick were on the left, and I think they were both put into one, certain rotations/actions would cause it to either signal or move the wipers. Luckily my wife (would have been for her that car) said that she doesn't wanna deal with that nonsense and we bought another one (mazda cx-5).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Column shifters like that used to be really common, especially on a american cars. A lot of pickups still had them into the 2000s.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I haven't driven a column shift car in 10 years but every few months I muscle memory reach up there to shift into drive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Inconsistency is what really drives me nuts.

I have two cars with an up/down rocker for next/previous track. One of them is up for previous down for next, the other is the opposite. One has the wiper stalk on the left of the column and the indicators on the right, the other is the opposite way around.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Column shifters like that used to be really common, especially on a american cars. A lot of pickups still had them into the 2000s.

Oh, no, that wasn't a column shifter, I've seen those before. I mean, it didn't look like those at all. It looked like a standard wiper stick.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Older Tesla Model S/X has a similar setup as the Mercedes, and it's fine? I've not had any steering wheel-related UI/UX problems with my 2018 TMS at least.

That rocker button in the CX-30 sounds insane, though.

I think I've hit the wiper stalk by accident in the MX5 once in a few years of ownership, and thankfully it has no buttons on the steering wheel. Jinba ittai :haw:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wibla posted:

Older Tesla Model S/X has a similar setup as the Mercedes, and it's fine? I've not had any steering wheel-related UI/UX problems with my 2018 TMS at least.

I really don't like how Tesla uses the gear selector for cruise control and auto steering though - they should be physically separate controls.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah I agree, that's a thing on 3/Y.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

Cannot be that bad like a BMW I drove once for about 30 min. The signal stick in that doesn't work like normal things do. You move it up or down like normal, but then it doesn't stay there, comes back straight. To stop signalling, you have to move it again up or down. I suppose one gets used to it after a while, but it's such a head scratcher, such an idiotic design ... wtf were they thinking?

I actually like this. They apparently ditched it in the 3 series at least in 2018. I noticed it immediately in the 2018 I bought a few weeks back.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I posted in the Miata thread, but I am gonna assume that the Mazda infotainment system is pretty standard across their modern cars.

The Android Auto component specifically in my ND2 (2021) Miata has gotten very laggy. The worst issue is when using Waze and trying to put in a new address or stop I can press the center select wheel several times and nothing happens. The display will make the animation that I've selected the button, but nothing happens.

Google has also made the Android Auto experience worse by adding even more steps to select a new route or do just about anything.

Is the Wireless Apple Carplay experience any better in Mazdas? This experience is just baffling to me because the barebones Kia hatchback I rented in Canada had wireless android auto that worked flawlessly, but it seems like Japanese cars are always far behind in this aspect.

Edit: To say, I'm not sure if this an issue with my phone, the Android Auto app, or if I need some FW update for the headunit, but it sucks!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have a major bone to pick with android auto. I want to listen to youtube videos while I drive that are basically podcasts. They have a video stream, but its a bonus.

"Hey google play the latest video from whatever podcast channel"
"Sorry I can't play that because its a video"

I can play it on the normal youtube app and it will stream through my car speakers. Except if you change the volume at all it will instantly flip audio sources back to the car and just blast techno music at max volume. So the strategy is before you start driving plug in your phone, setup navigation for the road trip, load the video you want to listen to, set the volume using the techno music, then press play again on the phone (it paused the actual video you want to listen to) and then don't touch anything until the video ends.

Even more confusing is that the video I want to watch and the techno music are both through the same youtube app, just one is the android auto process which is apparently like running side-by-side with the other one, but they're the same app.

An alternative is to use the car's navigation and then plug in the phone with a power condom and then bluetooth the audio to the car, and that at least lets you change the audio, but you lose features like ducking the audio for navigation prompts, and its dumb. Just play the video. The google voice shouldn't be sassing me about the difference between a video and song, its all straight from youtube!

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sorry it inconveniences you but really any option to play a loving video on a car infotainment system while it is moving should not be allowed lol.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Aardvark posted:

Sorry it inconveniences you but really any option to play a loving video on a car infotainment system while it is moving should not be allowed lol.

The youtube app plays videos all the time in your car through android auto. When you say "hey google play the latest album from Mastodon" it goes to youtube, searches for that video and then plays only the audio stream through the speakers. Obviously you never see the video. In the youtube app it works the same way. You can click any video, turn your phone off, and it just plays the audio and never bothers even downloading the video stream.

So if I want to listen to a podcast "video" or a music video its exactly the same thing, its just an audio stream played over USB/bluetooth with the video discarded. Except one had a music meta-tag and one doesn't apparently.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Edit: To say, I'm not sure if this an issue with my phone, the Android Auto app, or if I need some FW update for the headunit, but it sucks!

I’m not familiar with the newer Mazda system but does it work wired too? My phone would seriously overheat when running AA wirelessly and that caused all sorts of issues, whereas running wired seems a lot easier on the phone.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dissss posted:

I’m not familiar with the newer Mazda system but does it work wired too? My phone would seriously overheat when running AA wirelessly and that caused all sorts of issues, whereas running wired seems a lot easier on the phone.

AA on Mazdas is wired only. Carplay is apparently wireless but I don't own an iPhone so I have no experience with the performance.

AA appears to be extremely finicky with USB cables and getting one that works well is a chore because the USB C/3 standard is so bad you can't easily tell what cable is compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I never had any cable issues with AA, even when I’ve had to emergency buy one from a petrol station. I have had issues with the port on the phone though - it only takes a tiny bit of lint in there to make the connection flakey.