Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I just noticed the new maps at mzdspd.com, I'll give the Stage 1+SF v101u a try tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
The earliest MS6 APs were just MS3 units guys on Mazda forums bought and reflashed to work on their cars. The AP itself is identical for either car, so either the latest firmware is a for-both dealie, or one should be able to flash it to work on the other car with a fair amount of ease. I think.

Definitely try Stage 1+SF 93 v101u, it seems great to me, although I've never run Stage 1 basic with my SF intake on I went right from stock to Stage 1+SF, so I can't compare like you can. With v101u the power delivery seems much smoother and less jerky and random than v101t. I don't know what the real differences are. I may just be superstitious, but thats what I've noticed.

I know I definitely am hanging on to the AP for when I get a downpipe, though, because with that kind of mod the car really will need at least an OTS tune.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 19, 2009

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I have never run the base Stage 1 map with the intake installed, only the stock intake. It says pretty clearly not to do so, and I'm afraid of running lean and blowing up my motor. It probably won't happen, but my car only has 16K on it and I REALLY don't want to mess it up this early.

I'll try the v101u map tonight. Maybe at lunch if I have time.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Although I do not own a MZR, I do work on them for a living (mazda tech).
Just finished replacing a Speed6 engine, first one ever for me, almost unheard of in our shop, it threw a rod.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does a stock '06 speed6 need 93 octane fuel for best performance? I noticed the Mazda page here lists it. I don't think there are any 93 octane stations around where I live though. Wasn't this a big problem when the speed6 was released, they tuned it for 93 but most people can only run 91 so performance suffers?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mod sassinator posted:

Does a stock '06 speed6 need 93 octane fuel for best performance? I noticed the Mazda page here lists it. I don't think there are any 93 octane stations around where I live though. Wasn't this a big problem when the speed6 was released, they tuned it for 93 but most people can only run 91 so performance suffers?

Yeah, 93 would be best. I'm pretty sure they came out with a reflash that let it run better on 91 though. Could be wrong though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'm trying to find as many issues as I can to bring up when negotiating with the dealer. I'm hoping I can get one for 13k out the door ('06 sport model with 25k miles).

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I run on 92 with no issues, but I'd definitely get 93 if possible. I've run ok on 91 when necessary.

Also, I tried out the map Frosty recommended, and it's night and day. It's running like a bat out of hell again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I'm trying to find as many issues as I can to bring up when negotiating with the dealer. I'm hoping I can get one for 13k out the door ('06 sport model with 25k miles).

Holy poo poo are they really dropping down that low? When I was looking at the MS3 they were still around 20k or so, and this was about a year ago.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DreamOn13 posted:

Holy poo poo are they really dropping down that low? When I was looking at the MS3 they were still around 20k or so, and this was about a year ago.

They're asking 17900 for the speed6 but between it and another speed6 sitting on their lot for 6 months, the need for 93 octane in an area that only gets 91 and 92, looks only a mother can love (good luck moving these older 6's when the new ones are all over the lot), and a printout of completed ebay auctions where none have sold for more than 13k I think I have a good chance.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
I'm guessing that using AccessPort is an insta-warranty void if it's caught during a maintenance, right?

Do the dealers have a way of noticing it's been tampered with even if you reflash to stock before taking it in?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

wootmachine posted:

I'm guessing that using AccessPort is an insta-warranty void if it's caught during a maintenance, right?

Do the dealers have a way of noticing it's been tampered with even if you reflash to stock before taking it in?

I've wondered the same thing. It has the capability to make a copy of your stock ECU information, which can then be reflashed later. I'm not going to hold out hope that it's undetectable, though.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
It should be undetectable. There's no way of tallying the number of reflashes, and I'm under the impression that the stock map copied when you marry the AP to the car carries it's original timestamp, so it should appear like nothing was ever altered, and I'm not even sure a dealership has the wherewithal to examine the code on the ECU anway, and an accurate timestamp isn't really an indicator of anything at any rate, so... we should be A-OK.

Paging essequamvideri: How come cp-e's MS6 downpipe lacks the cast bellmouth of the MS3 part? I figured you might know or be able to find out.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Frosty- posted:

It should be undetectable. There's no way of tallying the number of reflashes, and I'm under the impression that the stock map copied when you marry the AP to the car carries it's original timestamp, so it should appear like nothing was ever altered, and I'm not even sure a dealership has the wherewithal to examine the code on the ECU anway, and an accurate timestamp isn't really an indicator of anything at any rate, so... we should be A-OK.

Speaking of my dealership anyways....... our scan tool (laptop) software is junk. We can flash a new map and see version numbers but thats it. The software we use is updated frequently and such, but we don't have much control over anything. We cannot even pick which map we upgrade it to.... whatever the machine lets us do is what gets done.

EDIT: I think I am going to buy the 2008 Speed3 on our lot.... $23k (canadian), brand new of course.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Do it. Just be prepared to basically re-learn how to drive a manual since mine has, and some other people have said it has, a really quirky clutch.

If I find some extra play money sitting around I may pick up and Accessport.

SiB
May 6, 2005

wootmachine posted:

Do it. Just be prepared to basically re-learn how to drive a manual since mine has, and some other people have said it has, a really quirky clutch.

If I find some extra play money sitting around I may pick up and Accessport.

I have driven a few of them and yes I agree on the clutch, it likes to grab for sure.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
It's like an emotionally unstable girlfriend that's an incredible gently caress.

Just have to find out what mood it's in that morning and go with the flow. :iiaca:

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
The check engine light keeps coming on in my ms6, everything seems fine on the car and after talking to mazda the first time it happened they told me that it was more than likely a sensor around the gas cap?..

I tried going by a local shop to have them pull the code but after trying they told me their equipment could not be used on such a new car.

Its done this 3 times so far, and each time the light turns off after 50 miles of driving like Mazda said. Anyone heard of this problem?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Captain Cannabis posted:

The check engine light keeps coming on in my ms6, everything seems fine on the car and after talking to mazda the first time it happened they told me that it was more than likely a sensor around the gas cap?..

I tried going by a local shop to have them pull the code but after trying they told me their equipment could not be used on such a new car.

Its done this 3 times so far, and each time the light turns off after 50 miles of driving like Mazda said. Anyone heard of this problem?

I've gone to Auto Zone to have codes pulled. I don't think there's anything special about it.

I have had a CEL indicating a "rich idle" a couple of times.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Captain Cannabis posted:

I hadn't heard of it as a problem that MS6s typically exhibit, no. Does it have any kind of pattern, like only showing up after you make a fuel stop and then not again until the next time?

I know cars will throw CELs based on gas caps not being secured or whatever, so I assume it can just as easily get the wrong idea and pop a light on your dash for no reason. In such cases I assume the solution is to either ignore the light or replace whatever gizmo is causing the false alarm.

My Cobb inlet pipe arrived the other day. Apparently, FedEx had tried to deliver it a couple times before and someone had just gone and taken the sticker off the door, instead of signing it or telling me about it. It's still much sooner than I expected, since Grip Garage told me it'd be into March.

Why, hello there :buddy:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

The install would have been simple and gone smoothly except for a couple of small details. First of all, the stock plastic part is attached to some cables via a plastic clip that is exceedingly easy to remove, except nobody explains how. My solution was to become increasingly angry until I simply broke the thing. Now I know how it works, anyway. (It's a squeezy plastic thing you simply have to compress in the correct direction and it slides right out.)

There is also some kind of metal bracket that appears to serve no real purpose except to get in the way. I was unable to determine how to unfasten it from the same cables because the mechanism for attachment was different from the first, so I just left it alone.

Eventually, through some shoving and twisting the blue thing was made to attach to the spinny thing and I put everything back together.

The bypass valve has been quieted a lot by the new inlet, which I guess others have observed. Some folks have claimed that their long-term fuel trims got weirded up by the pipe, but I really doubt that, and I'm sure when I finally bother to check with my AP everything will be the same as always.

I didn't bother to take a picture of the finished installation because it was darkish and the phone wouldn't have worked well, and also you can't really see it anyway.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Christ I have to vent somewhere, I'm days away from trading my Mazda3 in for a new car and some rear end in a top hat just scraped the bumper in a parking lot. No note or anything and now I have to pray the scratches will rub out decently. loving Mazda curse! :argh:

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Be sure and post a trip report with the new inlet, I'm curious as to whether it's something worth blowing the money on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are we getting :awesome: yet for the new MS3?:
http://www.motorauthority.com/2010-mazda3-mazdaspeed-mps-debuts-in-geneva.html

Click here for the full 950x633 image.

It looks bad, but also looks great, if that makes sense.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like it!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I like everything but the front bumper and the scoop, which I'm on the fence about.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Wow, that is truly hideous looking. That wouldn't stop me from buying one immediately. It may be ugly, but it looks TOUGH!

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 2, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I like it, but I hope more that it drives down the prices of used MS3s :v:

Speaking of which, the used MS3 market reminds me a lot of the used Corvette market. Nobody wants to admit that their cars have gone down in value, so everyone asks ridiculous prices but the only guys actually selling are the ones who drop down to the $15k range...one of which I missed out on because I wasn't quite fast enough.

Cheapest MS3 for sale "locally"? $18.5k on CL, the rest are right at $20k.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

kimbo305 posted:

It looks bad, but also looks great, if that makes sense.

:flashfap: I loving love the new 3. I might have to wait a year to see if they come out with a DSG one, though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

warwick5s posted:

:flashfap: I loving love the new 3. I might have to wait a year to see if they come out with a DSG one, though.
One of the few cars where a front license plate would look ok.

Is DSG in the plans for Mazda? I know Ford has the Powershift, but it might be jumping the gun to put that in a car with 268 hp and tons of torque.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

kimbo305 posted:

One of the few cars where a front license plate would look ok.

Is DSG in the plans for Mazda? I know Ford has the Powershift, but it might be jumping the gun to put that in a car with 268 hp and tons of torque.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/01/23/mazda3-to-get-stop-start-and-dsg/

quote:

Mazda also says that it's planning to introduce dual-clutch gearbox technology in the 3, its most popular model. We're not yet sure what powerplants will be mated to the slick-shifting new transmission, or whether DSG will be paired with stop/start for the ultimate in affordable, current fuel-saving technology. Another unanswered question is if either of these bits will migrate from Europe and Japan to the United States, though we can certainly hope

So yes, but not for sure in the Mazdaspeed.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

warwick5s posted:

I really just don't know about the styling of this thing. The wheels are sexy as hell, though. I love the little rotor shapes just like the RX8 R3 has. They might even be the same wheels I guess, just a different color. If I didn't already have expensive wheels that probably weigh less than half of what those do, I'd want to get ahold of a set for summer.

Cobb inlet trip report of dubious quality: I don't have any datalogs for this or, rather, I have no way of extracting them because Windows and VMWare Fusion registration woes combined with internet access troubles that make it impossible for me to use the Windows version of AP Manager (and the Mac version doesn't seem to be able to pull CSVs from the AP.) However; I have noticed that the car is more responsive, the revs climb faster, and boost comes on earlier, but all very slightly.

The AP now shows peak boost at somewhere close to 21psi, over just under 20 before the inlet. 20.7psi is a little worrisome and I might switch to a 91 octane map to get some small margin against knock, but the car pulls extremely hard and smoothly now, all the way to redline without any stutter, and completely consistent time and again, which is a massive improvement over stock.

Before the mods, torque was unimpressive until around 3000rpm at which point it ramped up to holyfuck for a brief moment and then dropped off and became wheezy past 5500. Sometimes the car wouldn't deliver even that kind of response, and seemed almost to be in a limp mode which could be made to go away by turning it off and starting it back up. I felt silly rebooting my car. With the SF intake and inlet pipe, colder Denso plugs, and AP Stage 1+SF tune, it's like a whole other animal.

So, does the inlet represent an improvement that is noticeable and would certainly be measurable if I was capable of doing so? Yes. Is it worth 165 bucks? That really depends. I haven't heard anybody say they're dissatisfied, and I'm not, but with things like the AP or the intake you can really point to definite seat-of-the-pants gains, where the inlet is more intangible. Sure, there's probably a couple extra hp in there, but it's mostly about throttle response and smoothness and things like that. I'd say if you're looking to go crazy and replace all the intake before the turbo and all the exhaust after the turbo it's definitely worth it since you're going to get around to it at some point anyway. If you're happy with Stage 1 or Stage 1+SF already and don't have any other plans, it might not be the most awesome bargain.

At this point, I'm saving up for turbo-back exhaust. I'm not sure if I prefer Corksport's or cp-e's downpipe, nor do I know which catback I like. GHL and cp-e are kind of expensive, Remus is also expensive and a completely unknown quanitity since I know of no one who has one, Corksport's sounds awesome in their clips and supposedly flows the best, but I've heard it drones pretty badly. Anyone got any thoughts?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

As far as exhaust, all I know is what I've heard from video clips and such, but I'll most likely be going with the Corksport pieces. CP-e is nice, but it's soooo expensive. As for drone, if it gets bad I'll just turn up my stereo.

I'm surprised that you're saying you've noticed a difference in throttle response and smoothness with the inlet. With the Stage 1 +SF tune and the intake, my car is very responsive and revs up smooth. With the 101u map, it goes straight to 6500 without the power tapering off. That being said, I imagine I'll just save the $165 and put it toward a downpipe.

We Eat Pasta
Sep 23, 2005

Mmmm... Pasta!

warwick5s posted:

I really want to see the car in black/dark gray, or pretty much any color other than red.

I think a darker color would help a bit with the boy-racer look. Otherwise, I love the lines of the car.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
What wheels would you all recommend for 17x7.5 or 17x8? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on Konig Feathers but wondering what else is out there. Trying to keep it beneath $150 a corner.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

warwick5s posted:

I thought the thread title said no Subarus? :psyduck:

On the MZR front -- if I'm looking at a CX-7, how many of the MS3 mods will apply?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

meatpimp posted:

On the MZR front -- if I'm looking at a CX-7, how many of the MS3 mods will apply?

I'd assume not much, iirc the CX-7 has a different compressor wheel? or something different with the turbo. The engine bay might be similar enough to the 3 that you could get away with an intake, though. The thing supposedly is based off of it.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

The Impreza looked like the 3 before the 3's redesign :colbert:

meatpimp posted:

Corksport and cp-e can hook you up, and I'm sure some of the less-invested players like ETS might have a couple parts. No AP yet or possibly ever; I'm not sure on that, but the StandBack can fix you for tuning. Prices will be similar to the MS3/MS6.

MonDubious
Jan 8, 2007
I eschew obfuscation
Whats been the deal with the CAIs? My stock air filter is getting dirty and I am thinking of using that as a very poor excuse to replace the intake, but I heard that Mazda no longer produces the mazdaspeed CAI due to some sporadic lean spots people were experiencing. Has anyone had problems with CAIs from other manufacturers? Is it recommended to get a reflash after that sort of upgrade?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
The Mazdaspeed CAI was fixed from what I have heard. Aftermarket short ram intakes/cold air intakes (possibly?) have lovely mounting positions and can snap what they attach to off. The alternative is to just leave the intake hanging by the clamp. Someone said the MAF wouldn't like that but I don't think it really cares, even with it attached to the chassis the intake will still be vibrating just as harshly. However, I guess it could fall off so check to make sure your intake sitting on the halfshafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

MonDubious posted:

Has anyone had problems with CAIs from other manufacturers? Is it recommended to get a reflash after that sort of upgrade?
The Mazdaspeed-branded part is an AEM, I think. Mazdaspeed stuff are just warranty-approved aftermarket pieces. You may have already known this, but I thought I should mention it.

The F5 Fujita intake is garbage, as far as I can tell. HKS, AutoEXE (expensive as gently caress JDM nonsense), cp-e, Corksport, and Cobb all have short intakes. Cobb's is rough on MS3s but the rest should play nice. A bunch of lovely ricer crap exists as well like the AEM and Injen parts.

Cobb, cp-e, or Corksport and you can't go wrong (except for Cobb parts snapping MS3 brackets.)

If you go with a reputable company you won't need a special tune just for the intake. Something like the Fujita probably would.