Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arkiteKt
Jan 2, 2006

I am an obese homosexual who uses a scooter!

Frosty- posted:

At this point, I'm saving up for turbo-back exhaust. I'm not sure if I prefer Corksport's or cp-e's downpipe, nor do I know which catback I like. GHL and cp-e are kind of expensive, Remus is also expensive and a completely unknown quanitity since I know of no one who has one, Corksport's sounds awesome in their clips and supposedly flows the best, but I've heard it drones pretty badly. Anyone got any thoughts?

I have a single pipe CP-E turbo-back on my MS6 and it sounds amazing, it's a nice 30hp/30tq gain with a good V6-like sound... Everyone thinks I have a V6 and nobody thinks that it's an obnoxious fartcan.

I'd almost equivocate it to the smoothness of the stock Infiniti G35 sport exhaust, just a tad bit louder over the entire powerband...

arkiteKt fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Does it look weird with only one of the bumper-mounted exhaust holes filled up?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
trouser chili, I think you know what you must do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSE4dtMFx7I

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
Credo quia impossibile est

Frosty- posted:

It should be undetectable. There's no way of tallying the number of reflashes, and I'm under the impression that the stock map copied when you marry the AP to the car carries it's original timestamp, so it should appear like nothing was ever altered, and I'm not even sure a dealership has the wherewithal to examine the code on the ECU anway, and an accurate timestamp isn't really an indicator of anything at any rate, so... we should be A-OK.

Paging essequamvideri: How come cp-e's MS6 downpipe lacks the cast bellmouth of the MS3 part? I figured you might know or be able to find out.

The MS6 was a more limited production, it was more expensive and a few others reasons why MS6 ended up being a smaller market than the MS3.

MS3 grew quick and became popular in the modding community - we almost started designing stuff for the MS3 to be cast from the beginning so it was done right - where as with the earlier release MS6 we were learning about these processes.

Looking forward to the 2010 MS3 - Im personally not a fan of the design, but we'll see - maybe it will look better in person.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just test-drove an '08 MS3.

Holy poo poo that thing pulls in third :aaa:

Given how much of a buyer's market it is, I think I can snag one for $15k, and then it's finally good riddance to the Volvo.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Frosty- posted:

trouser chili, I think you know what you must do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSE4dtMFx7I

I wonder if they're seeing any performance increases. The 5 is kinda porky and slow, I be interested in a bit more go coming from the go pedal.

I wonder why Mazda isn't wising up and stuffing the new 2.5 liter MZR in the 5.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

trouser chili posted:

I wonder if they're seeing any performance increases.
It probably trades low-rpm torque for a few hp near redline. I haven't seen any graphs of that specific mod, so it might be solid gold, but I don't know. Sounds like the poo poo, though.

I came across a fantastic thread at mazda6club today and I really can't restrain myself from sharing the OP...

some stupid jerk posted:

i think my rod is bended ,but the engine still running .. sorry i don't have video camcorder to record the sound, but my engine is making the same ticking noise that someone posted the video awhile back..Cant remember who... also my clutch pedal shaking real bad when i'm idling..
I'm going back to stock this weekend .. haven't have a chance to use my 17psi map..thanks god i didn't or else my rod is now sticking thru the block.
Unfortunately dyno date has been cancelled
i'll keep you guys updated...
The whole thread is pretty good, but that first post is just staggering. Bended.

The Mazdaspeed community out there beyond the fortress walls of AI sucks fat balls.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hey guys, I posted this in the RX8 thread already but thought I would get some better replies about the MS6 here: http://www.premiermazda.net/inventory/printDetails.cfm?printdetails=4694227 (Sorry for the Print View, it's the only way I can direct-link it.)

If you can't access the site: it's 2006 Mazdaspeed6 Sport, 25k miles, for $17k. They dropped the price from 21k. I called and asked if it had any problems or damage or accidents and the salesman told me over the phone (I'll want to see it in person, though) it has a clean carfax record. It was a corporate fleet vehicle, which I'm not too worried about... should I be? It's not like it was a rental car. Is there anything I need to look into, or watch out for? And how much lower should I try to push for?

I'll be seeing the car in person tomorrow, but the salesman already knows I won't be buying when I head out there. I'll be coming back sometime later in the week with my dad (who'll be working when I see it tomorrow) to do a more thorough go-over, have both him and me test drive it, and then probably mull over it some more.

I really want to like this car, but I'm trying to keep from falling in love with it because I don't want to get ripped off because I'm too in love with the car to notice. Help!

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 17, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
I went to a local dyno day and I got this :cool:
Sorry the clips are too short, my crappy old digicam can only do 10 second clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVZCPxgavaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d3bDW_YfgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjp6IfjlRN8

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

Corporate fleet to me makes it sound like a press vehicle and i'd stay the gently caress away. Finding an MS6 for <20k with normal miles per year shouldn't be an issue and as such it isn't worth gambling on an beat to hell one.

edit:
here's a few near that zip code

edit2:
Check the sticker on the window, that looks like DoD or GSA stickers and if it is who cares, can't be all that worse than any other used MS6.

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 17, 2009

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Syd posted:

Corporate fleet to me makes it sound like a press vehicle and i'd stay the gently caress away. Finding an MS6 for <20k with normal miles per year shouldn't be an issue and as such it isn't worth gambling on an beat to hell one.

edit:
here's a few near that zip code

edit2:
Check the sticker on the window, that looks like DoD or GSA stickers and if it is who cares, can't be all that worse than any other used MS6.

Ok so they were forced to move the visit to tomorrow. Ugh. My week is all hosed up, but let's not get all E/N up in this bitch. Unfortunately the $17k one is already stretching my budget as it is, so there's no way I can afford the others. (My car was totaled so I don't have the option of saving up, either.) And what're those stickers you're talking about? Do you mean the one at the lower-left of the windshield next to the registration?

Also, since the Print View only shows one picture, here's the other way to get to it: http://www.premiermazda.net/pages/page.cfm?pageid=147910&pagetype=35&featureid=-1 Just click 2006 and Mazda and it'll take you straight to the MS6.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 18, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Frosty- posted:

The whole thread is pretty good, but that first post is just staggering. Bended.

The Mazdaspeed community out there beyond the fortress walls of AI sucks fat balls.

Car forums are ususally full of idiots, you don't need knowledge to buy cars, and even more stupid people can get high-interest low down payment loans.

Well, could anyway.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Just installed the Cobb SRI on my MS3 but wasn't aware of the bracket/engine movement breaking things. Any suggestions for the long run?

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
Credo quia impossibile est

Tremek posted:

Just installed the Cobb SRI on my MS3 but wasn't aware of the bracket/engine movement breaking things. Any suggestions for the long run?

I would say you are fine.. the intake isnt heavy - it might put some load onto the silicone coupler and such.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Just installed the Mazdaspeed CAI on my Speed3. Digging it so far, waiting to see if it gets even better with more miles as people are suggesting (to let the computer get the fuel trims readjusted). It makes fun noises now. :downs:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Tremek posted:

I've been running without it for a few months now and it's fine. Just make sure you check the intake from time to time to make sure it hasn't somehow worked itself loose, but I can't imagine that happening under normal conditions.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

DreamOn13 posted:

Just installed the Mazdaspeed CAI on my Speed3. Digging it so far, waiting to see if it gets even better with more miles as people are suggesting (to let the computer get the fuel trims readjusted). It makes fun noises now. :downs:

I've had the SRI on my car for about a month now, and I STILL crack my driver's side window, no matter what the temperature outside, just so I can hear it. It's the ricer in me, I guess.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Finally have wheels and tires mounted:

5zigen ZR+520s in 17x7. Kind of wanted to go 17x8 but things get pretty difficult, offset-wise, to find anything that would work.

edit:
Was actually dropping from 18 to 17 since they still cleared and tires end up being $100-200 cheaper each time around.

hallebarrysoetoro fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 28, 2009

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That looks great. I think sticking with 17" wheels is a good choice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those look sharp as hell. How much do the wheels cost? If the tire selection is that much better and cheaper, that's an easy mod to justify.

Edit to avoid doubleposting: How are the aftermarket intakes that are available? I'm looking at a MS3 locally that already has a CPE cold air intake on it - if I go for the car should I leave it or find stock parts?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 2, 2009

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

How are the aftermarket intakes that are available? I'm looking at a MS3 locally that already has a CPE cold air intake on it - if I go for the car should I leave it or find stock parts?
That intake (edit: is fantastic,) and wipes its rear end with the stock piece.

On the topic of aftermarket bits: It looks like Cobb is bailing out on us because we're all jerks. Anyone who knows what the community at large is like knows they're right.

I think this makes cp-e the only real game in town, so that really narrows everything down. I'm definitely going with them for my exhaust whenever I do that, and probably a FMIC at some point too. gently caress, I might even get the Xcel CAI just so it matches underhood.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2009

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Frosty- posted:

On the topic of aftermarket bits: It looks like Cobb is bailing out on us because we're all jerks. Anyone who knows what the community at large is like knows they're right.

I think this makes cp-e the only real game in town, so that really narrows everything down. I'm definitely going with them for my exhaust whenever I do that, and probably a FMIC at some point too. gently caress, I might even get the Xcel CAI just so it matches underhood.

Are they stopping production of everything they make for MS3's or MS6's or both? Hadn't heard about this. The prices of CPE and Cobb are insane though. $6-700 for a downpipe or $1400 for a turboback? You've got to be kidding me. I hope demand dies down for that stuff and they eventually lower prices, or some people come in who aren't trying to make 90000% profit.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

What about Corksport? Their exhaust seems to be quality stuff, at about half the price of the cp-e.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

As far as I understand it there will be no further development for the MS3 or MS6. Warranties and stuff will be honored, of course, but no new parts will be developed and I believe software development has been halted as well.

As for Corksport, I don't know. I'm kind of freaked out by their crazy FMIC and tales of leaky exhaust or downpipes that block wastegates and cause boost creep.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frosty- posted:

That intake and wipes its rear end with the stock piece.

Good to know. Shame the car was pretty ragged (illegal tint, turbotimer that wasn't even mounted up, aftermarket gauges put in crooked, some gnarly rear end scratches, tires that aren't even all the same size, new turbo at 15k miles ago "because someone revved it at a car wash", and all this for $2300 over KBB) or I'd be part of the cool kids curse club.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Anyone who thinks a turbo timer is a good investment for their MS3 is a raging retard and their car should be avoided by prospective customers for eternity. Were those gauges in that lovely-rear end Lotek center pod, by chance? What a horrible piece of crap that thing is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Whatever it was, it seemed to be held down by loving drywall screws.

There's another one semi-locally that I figure is probably still for sale, since it's out of the way...it's on the high end of what I want to spend but if it really is as sharp as he says it is, I'll be buying it instead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I still can't wrap my mind around the Cobb thing, since they JUST released that software for the AP. Where did you read about this? From Cobb directly? Still seems weird since it was literally just a couple weeks ago that they released the software and I had heard they'd release the one you can tune yourself with in a couple months.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

If you can wade through this garbage long enough you'll find the links and quotes that explain the story.

As an MS6 owner I didn't really expect anything more from Cobb anyway, but it still came as kind of a surprise.

Edit: It looks like this is really no big deal.

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 9, 2009

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So let me get this straight - Gary at Cobb pulled the plug on the MS3, pissed the community off and then decided to take it back and release no lift shifting and something else for the AP?

Do you know if they pulled all further development of aftermarket for the car?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, I'm now invoking the wrath of the Mazda curse gods - picked up an '07 MS3 with 24k on the clock tonight, in red. God this thing is a riot :woop:

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Sublime Process posted:

So let me get this straight - Gary at Cobb pulled the plug on the MS3, pissed the community off and then decided to take it back and release no lift shifting and something else for the AP?
Close enough.

quote:

Do you know if they pulled all further development of aftermarket for the car?
As far as I know, all development of hard parts was halted a while ago. Production for Mazdaspeed parts seems to be falling off and may still end because it just doesn't seem to be a profitable endeavor for them.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, I'm now invoking the wrath of the Mazda curse gods - picked up an '07 MS3 with 24k on the clock tonight, in red. God this thing is a riot :woop:
Yay! :buddy: And no drywall screws in sight, I presume.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frosty- posted:

Yay! :buddy: And no drywall screws in sight, I presume.

Absolutely, as far as I can tell the only mod on it is the Mazdaspeed cold air intake...and now that I think about it, out of all the cars I looked at I don't think a single one had the factory airbox still on it.

I thought the MS3 was supposed to be the sleeper of the hot hatch segment? I'm pretty sure that over the course of driving it home last night two different people tried to get me to race them.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that over the course of driving it home last night two different people tried to get me to race them.

Come live in my town - I've had my car around 7-8 months and no one's tried to race me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sublime Process posted:

Come live in my town - I've had my car around 7-8 months and no one's tried to race me.

Hah, I wish.

I might actually be swapping newer wheels on it sooner than later - my wife has informed me that she wants gunmetal wheels on the car, and since I wouldn't mind downsizing to 17's, looks like I'll be in the market for new wheels soon.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Just "dropped the hammer" on a 06 MS6S , 37k. 1 previous owner, clearly did not do much other than get some odd stains on the seats here or there. Left their "Seven Habits of Highly Boring Audiobooks" or something in the CD player.

I am, for sure, enjoying this ride so far, 'bout to go find some roads to drive. I made the mistake of reading Mazda6Club, so now between here and there I'm expecting the car to explode next time I go to start it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh noes, is this the end for the Volvo 240 beater days?

I'll be interested to hear how you like the Mazdaspeed 3 after you've had it a while - I'd been contemplating one of these myself as a semi-replacement for my swedish hooptie. Also, let's see some pics when you get those new wheels.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Partycat posted:

I made the mistake of reading Mazda6Club, so now between here and there I'm expecting the car to explode next time I go to start it.
No poo poo. Those guys are absolutely convinced you'll chuck a rod straight through the block of a completely stock MS6 if you push the gas pedal the wrong way. They've got me good and spooked.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Oh noes, is this the end for the Volvo 240 beater days?

I'll be interested to hear how you like the Mazdaspeed 3 after you've had it a while - I'd been contemplating one of these myself as a semi-replacement for my swedish hooptie. Also, let's see some pics when you get those new wheels.

It is, it's up on CL and I need to get a thing of shoe polish to write in the windows with.

I'll post some up eventually but I need to take some that are worth a drat. Right now all I have is a cameraphone shot and it's not like people here haven't seen a blurry red stock MS3 before, ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Frosty- posted:

No poo poo. Those guys are absolutely convinced you'll chuck a rod straight through the block of a completely stock MS6 if you push the gas pedal the wrong way. They've got me good and spooked.

I'm sure glad I don't read that forum, then!