Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

On the Speed6 you have to upgrade your axles or you're hosed. That's the biggest issue.

That isn't that bad. I'm used to their early 90s systems which were very fragile even with low output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mmm, the old 323 GTX/GTR debacle?

I have a few friends who had these cars, they ate poo poo if you treated them wrong, and if they got real hot and you beat on them at all, the transmission housing would flex enough to make it grenade in short order even without direct abuse.

Add in the ketchup effect from a poorly tuned engine with 250 whp and you have a pretty nice recipe for bad times.

One of the better known rally drivers over here in :norway: said he could build a better transmission, but it would have 4 gears and no reverse. Then it'd be strong enough for proper rally use with 300+whp.

The same engine (BP) family was also used in the miatas, and people often use GTR cams etc in their turboed miatas.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I would suspect that the current AWD systems share nothing with the setup from the Speed6.

Any new Speed3 would have the (maybe smaller, but I'd doubt it) 2.5T and I'd imagine retuned for more top-end power instead of the diesel-style curve the thing has now, but the AWD does fine with 310 ft-lbs moving a big CX9.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

It's still gonna be Haldex, power take off style, because Subaru has triple-diff symmetrical AWD On The Lock™ for consumer vehicles iirc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I would suspect that the current AWD systems share nothing with the setup from the Speed6.

Any new Speed3 would have the (maybe smaller, but I'd doubt it) 2.5T and I'd imagine retuned for more top-end power instead of the diesel-style curve the thing has now, but the AWD does fine with 310 ft-lbs moving a big CX9.

People source new rear diffs from CX-somethings but yeah, the newest ones probably have an all new system. I'll still be shocked if there's a new Speed model any time soon.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You can get a 2.2 diesel AWD 3 with the 6MT in Japan - that thing already has as much torque as my old MS3

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I would think having an AWD Mazda3 would cut into sales of the CX-3, would it not?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MA-Horus posted:

I would think having an AWD Mazda3 would cut into sales of the CX-3, would it not?

Probably, really, but stop thinking like a manufacturer shhhhhh

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone swore up and down that Mazda was doing a new, AWD MS3 because the parts were available. Again, I'll be shocked if they do anything. They were supposedly bringing a larger RWD sedan to market as the Mazda9 and that never happened either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
And they're still talking about bringing back a rotary engined car.

Because that lines up with the idea of dropping performance models so they can go after luxury brands - I'm sure the average luxury brand buyer is going to want a car powered by a finicky engine which has to be spun out past 6k RPM to make any real power and gets fuel economy only slightly better than a full size pickup as a result :psyduck:

e: not making GBS threads on rotary engines, but they certainly don't belong in mass market vehicles.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 27, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

As much as we'd like to see it I don't think it'd sell in any volume at all.

Pretty much all Japanese market cars have always been available with an AWD version because it's mandatory back in their home market. That doesn't mean they ever make their way to other markets (at least not new)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

A 2.5T AWD Speed3 would probably be priced to compete with the R at around $35k, so no.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It doesn’t necessarily have to be an R competitor - most of the range can be had with AWD in Japan so it’s just be a matter of demand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AWD, hatch, 6 speed and turbo with 300hp, is that too much to ask?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Rhyno posted:

For some reason, yes.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Seems like every manufacturer wants to be "luxury" now. Is this phenomenon fueled by the subprime auto loan craze?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Ten years later and I'm still irritated that Mazda had all the pieces for an MS6 wagon and never put them together.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
You people really just want the Volvo v60 with a manual transmission.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
When can I get a Volvo V90 Polestar with a stick? Oh, also, I need a raise, so I'll just stick with my MS3 for now.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

White Phosphorus posted:

Seems like every manufacturer wants to be "luxury" now. Is this phenomenon fueled by the subprime auto loan craze?

It's caused by the only people buying new cars are olds.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Previa_fun posted:

It's caused by the only people buying new cars are olds.

We have a winner.

The cost of a barely used v60 (certified even) is significantly less than new ("luxury" cars depreciate a lot faster), and having driven both a new 3 a lightly used v60 back to back, as long as you can accept not having a manual the Volvo is a lot more car for the money.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/5dubCchy748

My girlfriend borrowed my car and sent me this. How am I about to die?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Revvik posted:

https://youtu.be/5dubCchy748

My girlfriend borrowed my car and sent me this. How am I about to die?

Terribly.

Was the blower motor on?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Stuck/stripped gear on one of the dampers (?) in the HVAC ducts?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That seems to be what it is from searching around. I've got it booked for a visit to the shop; I won't have time to do anything myself in the next month or so.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Looks like the next gen engines could be pretty interesting. Getting close to 14:1 compression with gasoline but maybe also on diesel models coming out too (assuming they hit the US). Seems like a lot of chatter about a diesel-like gasoline engine in the Skyactiv-x that burns entirely on compression, no spark plugs, etc, like a diesel, plus another leap forward on efficiency.

On an unrelated note: I seem to be getting a lot of rattling and even metallic squeaking from my right rear wheel well area, even while driving on pavement. I drive a bit on dirt roads now (as little as I can) I figure that's about the last thing a stock 3 hatch would do well with. Worth getting checked out? It's been rattling for a while but I can't be back there checking for anything while driving. The squeaking is more recent, had the sway-bar links tightened a long while ago (from good advice in this thread, thanks for that), not sure if it might be something similar.

Also, is it advisable to get an alignment after every tire rotation? I've been getting more vibration at highway speeds since mine about a month ago (70 mph range, eventually settles a bit over 80). I hate to keep having to pay for them but the vibration can be a bit unsettling. No uneven wear on the tires or anything reported, but still.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Seems like the Skyactiv-X is going to have spark plugs and be able to switch between normal ignition and HCCI. And a supercharger! Very interesting stuff...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I suddenly want a Mazdaspeed2.

Somebody get on that for me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Seems like the Skyactiv-X is going to have spark plugs and be able to switch between normal ignition and HCCI. And a supercharger! Very interesting stuff...

I'm curious how often it will use HCCI vs. normal combustion.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I suddenly want a Mazdaspeed2.

Somebody get on that for me.

Is there some corner of the internet where someone swapped the Fiesta ST internals into a Mazda2?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Is there some corner of the internet where someone swapped the Fiesta ST internals into a Mazda2?

God I hope so.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Has anyone done the dynamat (or whatever) for sound dampening in the doors, etc? I don't think I want to risk doing it myself but might save up if anyone's had good results.

This dude did some sound insulation. Claims it helped him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RxPB6yFyo

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Regarding road noise, spoke to the guy at my tire shop the other day, supposedly there's a new tire coming out (at least maybe Yokohama?) with softer but still durable rubber which is supposed to dramatically cut down on road noise. I'd be interested to see them (can't remember any other specifics offhand) but if they're brand new they may be outrageously expensive too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

This dude did some sound insulation. Claims it helped him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8RxPB6yFyo

I have difficulty believing that you're gonna get rid of much road noise by adding insulation to the roof. The vast majority of the road noise I hear is coming from my wheel wells.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MetaJew posted:

I have difficulty believing that you're gonna get rid of much road noise by adding insulation to the roof. The vast majority of the road noise I hear is coming from my wheel wells.

He does a second video where he does the wheel arches (maybe floor, don't remember). I think he did the roof mainly to dampen rain sound.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

why would you do that rain sound is the best

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Corksport has announced they are developing a full turbo kit for the Skyactive G

http://corksport.com/blog/turbo-kit-intro-2014m3-2013m6/

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't see what the big deal is. There are already turbos for the 2.0 in the Miata.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wrar posted:

I don't see what the big deal is. There are already turbos for the 2.0 in the Miata.

Packaging. Different engine orientation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have a hard time believing they're going to sell too many of those kits, but who knows.