Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Attention AP dudes: http://forums.cobbtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60513 Get you some launch control.

Syd posted:

Can you get away without accessport with an intake and a catback?
Yep. If you replace your downpipe or move to a bigger intercooler you'll want to see about custom (or at least OTS) tunes. Intake and catback are no problem.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I washed mine for the first time today and holy crap it must have taken six hours to dry in the AZ heat.
I've got the standard one that came with my Cobb SF intake, which I guess is an oiled filter. It's about time to clean and re-oil it or whatever has to be done and the prospect is terrifying me. I don't want to sit around fiddling with a plastic cone all day. A lot of guys switched to the AEM dryflow that you've got, but the maintenance on that doesn't seem less boring.

quote:

I don't have any problems but I figure if Mazda pulled the CAI and AEM updated it, I should go ahead and spend $15 to update it.
I would. It seems like every intake has the straighteners now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I REALLY wish the LC and no-lift shift had come out when I still had my car! What do you think of it so far?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frosty- posted:

I've got the standard one that came with my Cobb SF intake, which I guess is an oiled filter. It's about time to clean and re-oil it or whatever has to be done and the prospect is terrifying me. I don't want to sit around fiddling with a plastic cone all day. A lot of guys switched to the AEM dryflow that you've got, but the maintenance on that doesn't seem less boring.

Re-oiling filters really isn't bad, just be sparing about it. I've had two different K&N's on my truck (okay one was when it still had a carb, no MAF to foul) and I've never fouled the MAF on my LS1. Basically just enough oil to get some even coloring on the filter material.

quote:

I would. It seems like every intake has the straighteners now.

Yeah, and it will only be a few minutes of work.

I should probably start doing some datalogging with my ElmScan soon, just to get some numbers to compare it to.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

What do you think of it so far?
I am a stupid punkass and don't have the ATR software yet. Nor do I have a Vista32 machine right now, so I've got to sit through that interminable install in VMWare first, and then wait for Cobb to mail me a CD I guess.

I'll be sure to report back once I've got everything updated and set to go.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks
It took forever for my CAI filter (Mazdaspeed) to dry too; I left it to dry overnight and it was still wet.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
I'm just researching new tires before the "have to have 'em" time comes. I was looking on Tire Rack and saw that Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport beat the stock RE050As by a ton, plus they're $158 each, compared to $215 ($632 vs $860 for a set.)

Anyone have experience with these? A while back, I decided that Falken 912s would be my replacement, but these seem to have my interest. Any comparisons?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh, looks like a few other new tires have come out in the stock size. I'm kinda tempted by the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

Looks like most of these tires are too new to have much in the way of a review yet, though.

Edit: If you go to 225/40-18, the selection gets even better. The Bridgestone RE-11 is tempting too, and in that size, there's also the super-sticky Falken RT-615 and the Hankook RS2 (which I have on the Miata, great tires if a bit noisy)

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 26, 2009

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Frosty- posted:

Yep. If you replace your downpipe or move to a bigger intercooler you'll want to see about custom (or at least OTS) tunes.

Cool, thinking about throwing on an exhaust and seeing how it goes power-wise and $1000 is a bit more tolerable than $1600 to see how it works.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
I just bought the Cobb MS6 SF Intake from, https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4352. I dont know if its just a glitch, but it says its $11.95.... yea

Well see what happens I guess.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Hell at 12 bucks there's no reason not to try...

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!

CombatWombat posted:

Hell at 12 bucks there's no reason not to try...

700200B Mazda MAZDASPEED6 2006-2007 ; SF Intake Recharge Kit Only $11.95

I'm thinking that it's just the cleaner and filter oil.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
drat, you're probably right. Oh well.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist

ohstone posted:

700200B Mazda MAZDASPEED6 2006-2007 ; SF Intake Recharge Kit Only $11.95

I'm thinking that it's just the cleaner and filter oil.

Haha yea they only changed that after my order. I called them when I kind of realized thats what it was and they just had it labeled wrong.

Turns out they discontinued the MS6 Short ram, sucks. Oh well they canceled my order and refunded me.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Captain Cannabis posted:

Haha yea they only changed that after my order. I called them when I kind of realized thats what it was and they just had it labeled wrong.

Turns out they discontinued the MS6 Short ram, sucks. Oh well they canceled my order and refunded me.

Yep, so did I. Thankfully quick and painless, at that.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

A car Mazda should have built themselves.

http://www.awrracing.com/blog/2009/03/30/all-wheel-drive-mazdaspeed3-rallye-car-concept/

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A story for you all. On July 4th, 2008 I bought my 'speed3. The car has been great fun, and I had no problems worth mentioning with it in the first year of ownership. Or, well, almost a year...

July 3rd, 2009: my wife and I decided to go up to a gambling town in the foothills and we took the Mazda. It was about a 50 mile drive to our destination, and while there was traffic we were still doing posted speeds. Once we hit the foothills things slowed down to a crawl, and as it was warm out I diligently watched the temperature gauge; it was steady the entire slog up to about 8000 ft. which while slow took less than half an hour. We exited on a 2 lane frontage road; as we exit the offramp my wife says she hears a noise, and I killed the radio and listened but didn't hear anything.

As I turn right from a complete stop, I feel a massive drop in power, hesitation in first gear, and ... big vibration through the wheel. My wife asks if we have a flat, but I tell her I doubt it as I realize it's rev-dependent. We pull over - the car is definitely making a massive cyclical thumping noise and there's no doubt it's coming from the engine compartment when stopped.

I kill the motor and sigh. If I were to guess, something had gone very wrong. I have a Cobb SRI and iridium plugs in my car and that's it - so I know there's no way in hell whatever's gone wrong is my doing. I've had every oil change done at the Mazda dealership I bought the car new at (and had 4 or 5 done in those miles, the first at 1k) and the car only has 15,795 miles on it. I checked the dipstick and there was oil in it, and it wasn't leaking anything, but I've never experienced anything like this in any car I've owned.

I called Mazda roadside assistance and (after a 2+ hour delay for the tow truck driver to find us) they towed the car to the dealer (40+ miles away) upon my request.

That was the Friday before the 4th, and the dealership has had it ever since then. The week following the holiday the service writer called to tell me that yes, Mazda USA was going to cover the problem under warranty. At the time they didn't know the actual issue. Upon teardown, they found a spun bearing on whichever cylinder is the left-most one when looking at the car. I got to inspect chunks of bearings in the oil pan later on. Supposedly the car is getting a long block (still no information on whether that includes the turbo or not), and while the dealer has had the new engine in their possession for a week, they are missing a mechanic to do the work as they had sent said mechanic to classes that had already been scheduled.

I must admit - I'm wary about keeping the car. Other than this, the car's been essentially flawless. But this is a big deal in my book. I seek your opinions as to what to do with the car.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 31, 2009

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Keep it; you've barely had the thing a year and it doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it. Everything is being fixed under warranty -- everything is fine. Whatever happened to your car sounds like a complete freak incident to me. You should have no expectations that it will occur with the replacement.

What's up with the frequent oil changes, though? The manual calls for every 5,000 or 7,500 miles depending on the type of driving you do and your environment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Frosty- posted:

A car Mazda should have built themselves.

http://www.awrracing.com/blog/2009/03/30/all-wheel-drive-mazdaspeed3-rallye-car-concept/

A modern GTX/GTR...

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Looking back I had it changed at 1k, 6k, and 12.5k. The 1k change was to lose the break-in period oil and because I was anticipating driving 1000 miles over a weekend immediately thereafter, so I was wrong about 4-5 times. I've been changing it a bit early due to the reports on various MS3/6 boards of fouling seen on the 7500 mile interval changes.

Here's my real dilemma: I essentially have the green light to toss the 'speed3 and pick up a G8 GXP. I'm so torn.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Well given the choice between an MS3 and a G8 GXP I would take the Pontiac, I wouldn't give a gently caress about whatever. It would have to happen.

Still, whatever went wrong with your little 3 won't go wrong again, so if you keep it you can rest assured.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:
That is sort of bizzare. I have not heard about that happening on a car that wasn't thrashed to poo poo all of it's life. Well, I am glad they are fixing it without question. I have heard people say they had issues with the warrenty. 99% of the time, the dealer was right, just had little proof about it.

That AWD 3 is exactly what I have been dreaming about since I got my MS3. I always figured I would eventually want to do it. Seeing it done makes me really happy. I will some day convert a car of mine to AWD eventually. It might be the starion though. A lot of the parts can be taken off of a mitsubishi Montero, or it might be easier to do the 3. That will be years and thousands of bucks later though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well some 2009 WRXs are coming out of the factory with bearing problems or something like that.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

My engine failure does seem to be a rarer problem than all the full load + < 3k rpms = boom reports out there for the MZR DISIs - we're looking at the other end of the engine here. The car had something like 120 miles on it when I bought it... I wonder how hard it was flogged before I owned it. I'm definitely not an abusive driver, so I feel pretty justified in thinking the failure wasn't my fault. The mechanics indicated bearings between the crankshaft & conrod doing that are a result of lack of oiling, but who knows.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CharlesM posted:

A modern GTX/GTR...

No, its more of a Audi A3. Bilsteins and 18" wheels do not make an offroad car in the slighest.

quote:

The suspension components were modified and items were fabricated to give us the camber and toe changes that were needed along with the track required to keep the wheels tucked inside the rear fenders without using extreme wheels or flares.

That is how you build a show car, not a race car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Baby Hitler posted:

No, its more of a Audi A3. Bilsteins and 18" wheels do not make an offroad car in the slighest.

I know, but I'm always hopeful.
Here's a related question though. Enkei RPF1s are 14.6lbs in 17x7 size (I thought they had a 12lb model but I can't find it). That seems pretty light for 17" size, how do they hold up to daily use though?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Curious - anybody with an '07 MS3 have any rust anywhere? Rocker panels or rear wheelwells?

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I installed a Cobb SRI today on my MS3. I drove around a bit. It's fun, but does it need to be so loud? I kind of feel sheepish if anyone is around and I hit the gas.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

I don't think anyone outside the car ever notices.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
:(

I'm not so sure. For the first time someone tried to race me today. Three yahoo's in a Dodge ram.

Also I know this has been discussed. But the Cobb SRI comes with an oiled filter I understand. What kind of maintenance should I be planning on for it?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

You have to re-oil it periodically, which can be done with this: http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/Default.asp?id=4352

I'm not sure what the interval is, but it's probably written down on some paper that came in the box.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Tremek posted:

My engine failure does seem to be a rarer problem than all the full load + < 3k rpms = boom reports out there for the MZR DISIs - we're looking at the other end of the engine here. The car had something like 120 miles on it when I bought it... I wonder how hard it was flogged before I owned it. I'm definitely not an abusive driver, so I feel pretty justified in thinking the failure wasn't my fault. The mechanics indicated bearings between the crankshaft & conrod doing that are a result of lack of oiling, but who knows.

Spun bearing that early just means something was out of spec. Something else on the engine would have been destroyed before that if it had been abused.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:

CharlesM posted:

I know, but I'm always hopeful.
Here's a related question though. Enkei RPF1s are 14.6lbs in 17x7 size (I thought they had a 12lb model but I can't find it). That seems pretty light for 17" size, how do they hold up to daily use though?

They are some really tough wheels. I recall an article when they were testing a car in rally conditions, when the driver got a little carried away. He slid sideways into a rut in the road at 40 miles an hour. Got a bit of air, and would have bent the gently caress out of any normal wheel. The wheel barely showed any sings of the incedent. It didn't bend, and was just slightly scratched around the lip.

Personally, I am running a set of 17x8 TSW Track stars with Kumho Ecsta XS tires on it in 235/45/17. Couldn't be happier with them.

If you want a slightly wider tire, Enkei makes a wheel that has the proper offset to work with the car in 8 inch. They don't rub as far as I know. The wheel weighs 17.9 pounds though. It's lighter than stock by a ton. It's the rp03. They are a 48 offset. My wheels are a 45 offset, and they just barely rub. Literally that 3mm is the difference between rubbing and not. They are only .1 pound heavier than the rpf1 if I am not mistaken.

The direction I went is a little more on the way most people would like to avoid. I am actually going to be rolling my fenders soon. Again, it just barely touches. It's enough to shave some rubber off though. It only does it under full suspension load when I hit a bump. But, it's enough to bother me.

Animedork2075 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 1, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VERTiG0 posted:

Curious - anybody with an '07 MS3 have any rust anywhere? Rocker panels or rear wheelwells?

I haven't seen any when under the car for an oil change, but then again I'm in AZ. Nothing rusts.

Drove mine from Phoenix to LA to San Diego and back this weekend, goddamn this car makes the miles go by nicely. Came back to a box full of oil filters and a free filter wrench from Rosenthal Mazda, I figure for less than $80 shipped it's the cheapest way to get good filters (even the Fram poo poo costs $10/filter locally!) and I get a filter wrench meant for the car.

Also had to idle mine for quite a while at a few points, namely the goddamn McDonalds in Blythe. At least I know the turbo seals are fine!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone with an MS6 added the parts to flip down their backseats? I remember reading on another Mazdaspeed board that it's possible, you just need to order a parts set that has the latches and whatnot. The main reason Mazda didn't bother with the passthrough on the Speed6 is because there's a big-rear end V-shaped beam (for RIGIDITY :science: ) behind the seats, but you can still fit smaller stuff through the passthrough. I'm kinda interested in giving it a shot, but would like to hear from someone that's done it.

I've popped off the back cover in the trunk, but anything past that I'm a bit leery of doing without someone telling me how to do it.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 3, 2009

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also had to idle mine for quite a while at a few points, namely the goddamn McDonalds in Blythe. At least I know the turbo seals are fine!

Can someone explain this for me? I don't know much!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you read the various Mazda forums too much, they make it sound like the turbos are all already dead, it's just a matter of time. It manifests itself as a smoking exhaust while idling for prolonged periods, typically 10-30 minutes.

Mazda put out a TSB about it, which is earlier in the thread. Basically, the current school of thought is that the PCV system does not sufficiently remove pressure from the crankcase at idle, which makes it more difficult for oil to drain from the turbocharger. Eventually the oil finds another way out of the turbocharger - by way of the shaft seals and into the exhaust where it's burned.

According to the TSB, this will eventually be remedied by an updated PCV system which should let the oil drain from the turbo properly.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks for the information. It's something to look out for at least.

But...

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you read the various Mazda forums too much, they make it sound like the turbos are all already dead, it's just a matter of time.

My god. The various Mazda forums are a comedy of errors. I loving love my MS3 like no other car since my Dodge 400 I bought when I was 16. It's a joy to drive. If it has problems sometime that's okay. It's a fantastic car. I'm attempting to learn about cars only because I want to understand this thing better. It's so good I wonder why everything else I've driven is so less good.

I've gushed enough. My point was that these forums seem so reactionary... About everything. People just yell about what they think and rail against anything else. If I were to read these forums and give them credence I would assume my car was verging on exploding every time I turned the key.

It's just hard to understand the real issues vs. the ones the forums decide are a crime against humanity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The fact that they're so wound up in drama that the two major ones both ban links to each other is just loving hilarious. I know single-make forums are the worst but the MS3 folks take the cake, even over the C6 guys who change their clutch hydraulic fluid more often than they change their engine oil

It's a fantastic car. I've already put 8000 miles on mine and I've loved every one of them.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I read one of the US based Mazdaspeed forums for about 10 minutes before I had to stop in :psyduck:

I have not seen that much rage against vendors, Mazda and even their fellow forum users.

On a separate note, I am going skiing at the end of the month. I wont be going often enough to justify buying a chain that will fit the standard wheels. Would it be prudent to purchase some smaller steel wheels that can easilly fit a hire chain?

What is the smallest size wheel that you can put on the front?

edit: this is for a 3mps if it makes a difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Here is one of my favorite posts ever from Clubprotege.com

quote:

iam the best driver that most every1 knows ofeven though i race everyday after school i never get tickets but i know how to not get pulled over and not get into crashes. i never come close to a crash even racing through traffic at 120 mph i can beat even 700 hp cars(1971 chevelle built for racing) in a traffic race.
He got banned eventually