Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Does anyone have the new style mazda3 here ? I test drove one at work on Friday cause I was thinking about buying a 5 door, but I noticed right away the inside is really small. I'm going to take a 4 door out on Monday and we have a 2005 5 door outside that I'll look at too. My friend has a 2008 4 door and it doesn't seem nearly as cramped inside, am I wrong or did the inside shrink a lot ? It seems like the new dash area takes up a ton of space as opposed to the previous model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

SynMoo posted:

I'm talking about starting and stopping in 1st 50 times to go about a mile. I don't hit it often, but when I do, bleh.

Coming from an automatic, I thought constantly launching and then only getting into second or third before you have to stop again would be more annoying it is. I think the worst part is knowing you could be flying around instead of stuck going nowhere

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cygni posted:

I've been scouring the net for info on the 2012 3 refresh, specifically prices for the lineup and dates, but I haven't been able to find a thing. Asked a dealer last week and he didn't even know they were getting the SkyActiv engine in the first place.

Anybody hear a peep? I know the earthquake has delayed the roll out a bit, but it doesn't look like they will even be on lots before October.

I can ask the Mazda guys at work on Monday, but I suspect they probably won't know anything either

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

FWIW I didn't really like the interior display on the 2011 (non speed) 3 I test drove and it doesn't look like they changed a ton

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If you wanted an AWD car why did you get a Speed 3 :haw:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Laranzu posted:

add another 3 to what you said and you get what I said in the post :clint:

Oh poo poo :doh:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Cygni posted:

The replacement is already coming. Will be the first 'full' skyactiv platform, I believe.

According to the salesmen at work the CX-9, or 7 I forget which, is the first complete skyactiv car

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

We got the tiniest bit of ice this morning and I was nearly slammed into by 3 cars on the way to the interstate so I've decided that I don't want to drive the MS6 this winter. So now I'm actively looking for a reliable winter car. I'm thinking either an old Protege or Focus.

If all you care about is moving around just get a civic, it should be cheaper than both.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So owning two Mazdas would just be baiting the curse right? I'd be stupid to trade my truck for a Miata right?

No way

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

opengl128 posted:

$225 for the day, 7 15 minute sessions.

That seems like a good price for that much time, and it looks really fun too.

Oh also we have a couple skyactiv 3's at work now. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I remember, and see if they will let me take one out for a ride

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 17, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Just got home from work, took a Skyactiv 3 hatch out for a spin before I left. Pics and poo poo in a couple minutes :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I put the pictures up on Flickr rather than upload like 20 pictures to the thread. They are all here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanks2435/sets/72157628028435239/

Car itself is comfortable and has more leg room than the 2011 3 hatch I took out in March. Ride is really smooth and quiet, and the engine is quiet as well. I had it in manual mode instead of just straight automatic when I left the lot and didn't realize it until I looked at the tach and it was up to 5000 rpm, but it wasn't making a ton of noise like my car would at that RPM. I did a lap on the highway and switched to straight auto at the light for the loop back.

One downside though: the car has an annoying delay in acceleration. When you are going and want to go quicker, whether you mash it all the way down to the floor or even halfway down there is a full 1-2 second delay before it responds and follows through. It did this both in manual sport mode and straight automatic. Even if I downshifted. Also when I was stopped at the light and let off the brakes to crawl forward a little the engine speed dropped down like if you were to let off the clutch in first gear too far while not moving, but then as I got further off the brake it picked back up and started going fine. The steering felt good, really responsive going around the u-turn loop, and the brakes were really grabby. Maybe it's cause I'm used to my lovely brakes that need to be replaced, but they felt better than the '11 3 that I took out earlier this year.

All in all not a bad ride. The price is cheap, it gets really good gas mileage and has enough storage space. They need to adjust the dark magiks in the transmission though. The manual ones aren't coming out for another few months I think, but I'll take one of those out and see how it responds and see if it has the same delay or not. My suspicion is that it's just the auto trans and not an engine management thing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

CharlesM posted:

How quickly does it shift?

Once it responds to what your asking it to do it seemed to shift alright.

Rhyno posted:

When are they going to turbo that sumbitch?

Haven't heard anything about a Skyactiv Speed 3. They have a 2012 Speed 3 but I don't think it's anything more than small changes.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 17, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Really babying the throttle and staying out of boost is so disheartening when you know it's there. Once you get that gas out and stomp on it for the first time you'll go through a tank really fast just loving around because it's so fun

I never let the engine go over 2k RPM while my tensioner was broken and the whole time it was pretty :smith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

We got some CX5s in at work, gonna try and take one out today :shobon:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You should do a full vehicle review if you have time, my mom likes the looks of them.

It's gonna be a few weeks. Both of the ones we have are sold already

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The new Mazda 6 looks really nice, plus there is an optional twin turbo diesel engine pushing almost 400hp

On a related to MS6 chat note, we had two MS6's traded in at work and they didn't tell me about either of them until after they went to auction :smith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

1. Are they really bringing that to the US?

2. That is absolute bullshit.

Yes they are

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 7, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Neat! I hope IOC is wrong and there is a 400hp version available to regular customers. With a 6 speed and AWD of course.

It won't be all wheel drive, but the twin turbo diesel will be available for regular customers. That engine isn't coming out until later in 2014 though. At launch it's getting a 2.5l 184hp 183 ft lb 4 cyl.

e: i am skeptical of the HP claims since I think people may be confusing that with something else, but it's gonna have a poo poo load of torque

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I wish they would make a speed2

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just slap the Skyactiv or 2.5L in it for all I care.

As long as it gets a real transmission. 4-speed auto is :stonk:

I know there a manual version but still

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Isn't the Focus ST AWD or am I thinking of the cooler one we don't get here (america :argh: )

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I don't know what we did, but Mazda sent us a Skyactiv Mazda 6 to show off. They can't sell it, and I am assuming they won't let me drive it either, but it's sitting out front. I'll snap some pics Wednesday and see if they will let me get in it though

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

That MS6 :stonk:

At least you are ok man, good grief

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Told me it was out of stock.

I can ask at work if you want

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe I'll go insane and replace the Ranger with a rotary.

Get an FD :devil:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I think NoDoze said he saw something about a Turbo Skyactive. I'd love to be able to stay in a Speed car down the line.

I don't remember hearing anything about a turbo skyactiv yet. The 6 has a turdo diesel engine that is supposed to be coming over, and supposedly going in the CX-5 too. Plus there's the long standing rumor of the next Miata being a turbo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Just gt off the phone with the dealer, he's going to take a bunch of new pictures for me. If all looks good I'm gonna throw a deposit on it and go check it out Wednesday.

You crazy man

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I drove a Speed 3 at work for fun today. I'd never driven one before but it was pretty nice.

I stalled twice backing out cause the clutch is way different than the S2000 :downs:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

We got a 2014 3 in the other day, but I didn't notice it sitting there till today. My friend was busy so I didn't get to sit inside but hopefully I can later in the week. For reference, that's an older Mazda 6 that is parked next to it

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I prefer the current/old style to this one myself

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo, Mazda and S2000 curse of the same colour in the same post.

That's my S2000's color :tinfoil:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Hello Mazda thread, I am looking to get a quick sanity check and then maybe after that I will be posting here! I'm fresh back to the states, I currently own no car, and I need a smaller car that I can use for a 30-minuteish commute to work every day that is both fun to drive and can still accommodate a child seat if necessary (welp). The Mazda3 looks like a great option and I had a good time driving my friend's '09.

I have a rental car that'll last until the end of August, so it seems like probably the best move is to wait until the 2015s come out and see what's up with those. Otherwise I think getting a 2014 model with the 2.5L engine is probably the way to go - I sacrifice a little efficiency but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Is there any other outstanding reason why I shouldn't go with either the '14 or '15?

There shouldn't be much difference between the 14 and 15 models, so you are safe there. You still pull good MPG with the Skyactiv 2.5L too, don't worry about that

Rhyno posted:

Get the Skyactive. You'll regret it in the long run if you don't.

The 2.5L is a Skyaciv engine, it just doesn't come with a manual :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If you complain enough you could get the pads and rotors replaced for free under consequential damage, and maybe the line too

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Shoota_McG posted:

A friend sold me an old, dirty and mostly good shape set of 5 spoke 17" wheels from an 06 Mazda3GT with a half decent set of all seasons on it. After selling the tires I think I paid $70 for the rims. Just put some new Yokohama Iceguards on them today. Much nicer than the 16" steelies that they replace (running Continental ExtremeWinterContacts).

That looks great

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Are there any bad or not so great years of Mazda 3 that should be avoided? I'd really like a new '15 model hatchback but I think I should stick to something under 10k, so roughly in the 2007-2010 range.

Are the automatics good or poo poo? My wife will be the primary driver and I'll take over driving the TDI Jetta sportwagen, but she's ok with a manual or automatic.

The autos are OK but outdated, the manuals in them are great.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

My girlfriend is looking at cars and locally we have found a 2005 Mazda6 2.3L with 112k miles. What should I look for on these? Is there a timing belt kit that will need to be changed soon?

Nope, they use a timing chain

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone here in AI own a CX-5? What kind of real world MPG do you see? Would you recommend one as a daily?

I've driven them a bunch at work they are very nice. Absolutely recommend it over anything else in it's class

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I went and drove a MS3 yesterday (first gen). How many of you are still rocking them? Any complaints/problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Fart Cannon posted:

I haven't had any issues since I bought mine new (2008.5) other than the typical tires wearing unevenly and motor mounts. I have no mods on my car for comparison.

I've had people tell me the engines don't last but I haven't seen any real evidence of that online and the techs at work said that they are pretty bulletproof