Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SynMoo posted:

Behold... the new HDR feature in iPhone 4.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Ahaha loving that licence plate. Are you french canadian by any chance? (I know that licence plate says Maryland)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Anyone have a recommendation for all-seasons for a Mazda 3 Sport? It's got the P205/50R17 88 tire size. It's for Ontario, so slush/snow are a consideration.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ok, I'm confused as hell, and maybe you guys can help.

I have a 2009(2008.5) Mazda3S, base model sport. 2.3l, 5sp auto, no bluetooth/gps or anything.

I'm nearly 100% sure I have 17" rims, and every site seems to agree that the 08/09 5-doors came with 205/50R17 sized rims.

Yet, my tires seem to be 16s. I'm picking up a set of Blizzaks on tuesday in the 17" size, and I hope to gently caress I didn't just spend 800 bucks on tires that won't fit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Last part of this is the absolute truth; what size is listed on the sidewall of your tires?

205-55R16

WHAT THE gently caress.

16" rims weren't even a dealer option on that model year!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm really confused by that. I always thought I had 17s.

And now I have to tell the dude at the tire shop that I hosed up and gave him the wrong size. Awesome. Either that, or get some 17" steelies.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah, just a standard 3. The all-seasons are garbage in this snow we've been getting, tap the brakes and ABS kicks in. So, time to upgrade tires.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ahem. Figured I'd stop in and give a little review on the Blizzaks after my little freakout. Got them in 16, no problem.

Report: They're awesome. Grippy as gently caress on fresh snow or slush, excellent stopping distance on all conditions. Apparently there's supposed to be a lot of road noise, but coming from the stock busted-rear end Toyos that the car came with they might as well be feathers.

Money well spent.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Goddamn that's a good looking car. I've always liked the MS6, drat fine looking.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

As far as reliability goes, I have a '09 MS3GT, 32k km. Other than the battery making GBS threads the bed after not being driven for a year (moved overseas for 2 years, car sat and was rarely driven), it's a champ. No issues whatsoever.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I am curious as to what Mazda uses to secure brake rotors to the hub assemblies on gen1 3 hatchbacks.

I am going to assume "the power of the gods"

Because them bitches REFUSE to come off, penetrating oil and sledgehammers be damned. Not a millimetre of movement from an HOUR of beating on both rotors.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's so strange. The rotors on my old Protege were simple to remove. Pull the final bracket and lift right off.

Both my dad and I beat on the back of these with a 8 pound sledge. Nothing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

ethanol posted:

I just bought a... 2003 mazda.... tribute. :laffo: Picking it up on Saturday. This car is supposed to be cheap, reliable, and easy to drive long ways full of stuff. It sure is peppy for an suv, I must say. It's got nice clean V6. The steering is top notch too. Very tight, no dead zone. I think the ladies are going to like it a lot.

Congrats on your Ford Escape. Beware the transmission.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So my brake rotor finally came off

After much attention with a sledge

And a puller

And it didn't come off in one piece.

You bet your rear end I anti-seized that new poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

ATE premium rotors. Waaaaaaay better already.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I've been using an inline filter on my AUX port since I bought my MS3, clears out any interference. I've been wanting an integrated solution for bluetooth and such forever, but I eventually just said gently caress it, and bought one of those little bluetooth adapters. Works like a charm, really. Can't control from the steering wheel but that's what SIRI is for.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I got a set of Bridgestone ecopias on my '08.5 3 hatch. Pretty nice tires, very quiet, helps with fuel efficiency too.

Well, they will when they're back on. Gotta love winter tires.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah I have a ton of chips on the hood and front bumper, and a few little dents that need to be peened out.

And the back bumper is scratched to gently caress thanks to a retard who drunk reversed into me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I've been having some high-speed wobble issues on my 09 mazda3, took it in for an alignment at the dealer

Apparently my rear suspension bushings are trashed and need replacing. Got a quote for 400 bucks. Sound about right? That's above and beyond my DIY levels.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah they are thirsty little engines. I have the 2.3/auto (90% highway commuting) and get 600km/tank with summer tires, 500km/tank on winters.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I got hit with the mazda curse a few weeks into ownership of my '08 3, an rear end in a top hat former friend backed into my car while drunk and left a nice turquoise scratch on the rear bumper, never even offered to pay for it.

Anyways. Do you guys have any tips for breaking rusted rotors? My rears are on there loving SOLID and I'd prefer not to angle-grind them off if I don't have to.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

That's a drat good idea, no worries about cracking the caliper bracket though?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Well, I somehow ordered the wrong belt from rockauto, and wound up with a 20" long accessory belt for some variant of the MZR with a separate AC belt/pulley.

I went over to Advance auto for a belt and the one they sold me (Dayco, maybe) was maybe an inch or more too short and I couldn't get it onto the crank with the tensioner fully released-- without risk of damaging the belt.

I wound up putting the old one back on. I guess I'll buy a new one direct from Mazda next time.

In other news, I discovered that my driver side transaxle seal is leaking and will need to be replaced one day.

I'm gonna have to do my belt when the weather is a little nicer. It doesn't look like it's that difficult, any tips?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Should I buy this Protoge? What are the things to look out for on these other than rust?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/victoria-bc/2002-mazda-protege/1136058064?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Bushings, engine mounts and weather seals.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

gently caress that's what that is!

The only other annoying thing is the 90km/h shake.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

EDIT: Stupid question. Meant timing belt, not chain.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 22, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Anyone know what size screw/nut to use for the screw removal method of getting a seized brake rotor off? I need to make sure I have all my poo poo in order BEFORE starting the job. I can't seem to find what size screw holds the caliper onto that bracket.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MetaJew posted:

A m2x40 deadblow hammer.

the world's tiniest, most useless deadblow hammer.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Note: the piston retraction tool from princess auto does NOT work with Mazda 3 rear rotors. The little nubs on the tool are too wide to fit onto the piston.

The 1/2x3" bolts I was gonna use to bust the rotors off were way too big. So I went to town with a deadblow. Rage made them move.

gently caress you road salt. Suck my dick from the back.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Gah.

So a few weekends ago I changed pads/rotors on the back, and now I'm hearing a loud-rear end *CLANK* every time I hit a bump in the road from the back-rear quarter. I took the wheel off last night and checked all the brake components were tight (obviously the rotor was loose with the wheel off) and there didn't seem to be any play in suspension components.

Tried taking it to the Mazda dealer but they wanted 110 bucks just to diagnose it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well, found out what that banging noise I was hearing was.

Rear shock mounts busted loose. I suppose after 8 years and 125k km it was bound to happen eventually.

Mazda3s are really solid little commuter cars. Sure I'm getting some weird rattles here and there but the car is 8 years old after all. Other than the occasional bushing and now the suspension, it's needed basically no additional parts replaced.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Rust or did it just happen? Mine is 10 years old :P

I live in SW Ontario.

That is the only answer to that question you need.

Mechanic at the shop (Slavic dude) basically said "You're lucky we got to it now. Another year, we need torch."

And then he tried to talk me into front suspension. Yeah no, not for a thousand bucks bud.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

My '09 3 hatch developed a horrible rattling when it goes over anything rough a day or so ago. I checked and my rear strut is leaking so it's probably super hosed. I'm not 100% convinced that that's the rattling noise -- it sounds like a half-full shopping cart going over gravel -- but at the same time I have to plan to replace them. On a scale of ONE to CABIN AIR FILTER, how difficult is a shock replacement on a 3 hatch? I'm not above trying to DIY -- I've done some odd jobs on it, and I have access to a clean garage at my folks' place, but if it's going to be a super pain in the dick then I'll just pay to get it done.

edit: I guess I mean do I need any sort of specialized knowledge or experience, or is this something a first timer is likely to get right?

I just had rear shocks/struts/mounts done, was 500 bucks and a few hours work at the shop. I'm not above doing my own work either, but all my tools are 4 hours away.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah there's a dude in my building with a lightly modded NC Miata, white with black wheels...and a baby seat in the passenger seat. gently caress yo practicality.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Gah. It appears my luck has run out with the whole "Hey my car is reliable and I don't gotta do poo poo to it anymore!"

Front CV shaft is worn
Front brakes need replacing
Back left spring is broken and rattling like a motherfucker
Tranny fluid is black

Just swapped the CV shaft, 1600 bucks. Don't wanna think about how much the springs are gonna cost. And even worse, the dealer is telling me the shocks that I JUST replaced are too soft and contributed to the spring breaking. Goddammit.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

There is nothing "too soft" shocks could do to contribute to a broken spring. That's the dealer giving you FUD to try and convince you that only they can service your car.

I'm not surprised by that. FFS it's a 7 year old economy car with multiple models based off the same platform, it's not THAT rare that a dealership has to do it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I have 130000km, on mine, did the front rotors/pads at 30k and they're just ready to go now. I think you're being taken for a ride bud.

The dealer did the same thing to me last time when I got my CV shaft changed, told me my brand new rear struts were too weak and not "OEM spec". Blow me.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Fabulousity posted:

The new CX-9 is sexy as all hell but Mazda really needs to plant that SkyActiv 2.5G Turbo engine into a 3 body.

Does a CX5 have less cargo space than a Mazda3 on paper? I can see how the CX5 might have a two inches less of depth but it's gotta have more height and a shaved hair or three of more width?

And the AWD system from the CX-5.

Mazda do the needful

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

310ft/lbs of torque and a part-time AWD system? Yes I'd take that.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, good question. I'll have to check that. Mine is actually that weird 2009 where it's still the gen1 styling so I'm not sure whether it has any factory prep for roof equipment.

The penultimate Gen1. Pretty sure the mounts are under little tabs in the gutter covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

Hey, Mazda3 owners. My wife and I both drive manual Subarus. She injured her left foot last year and has had three surgeries and probably needs another one, but the surgeon won't do it until next year. We have been borrowing an automatic and leant her car to that person, but now we're looking for something longer term.

I'm going to sell or trade my 150k mile 2009 WRX in, and on the list is a Mazda 3 from the 2008-2010 range. My first car was a Ford, and after that it was an Impreza and after that it was a WRX. When I met my wife, she had an Impreza, and then she had a Cabrio, then an Impreza, then an Impreza. So, I know Subarus pretty well, and the ones in our price range are overpriced given that they'll need head gaskets.

Anyway, how easy are the Mazda3s to work on? What should I be looking out for in a ~80k mile example? We are only planning to keep it until her foot is better, and maybe long enough for Subaru to have WRX Wagons again and then I'll trade it towards one of them.

Just trying to get some starter info from people who know then.

I have a '09 Hatchback. The engines are pretty much bulletproof. Look for rust around wheelwells/back hatch. Check rear suspension mounts, they're notorious for being junk. The 5AT is a decent tranny, doesn't hunt for gears. You may get vibration at 55MPH/90KPH, this is an engine mount thing apparently. Check rear sway bar bushings, they tend to go very early and let out nice CLUNKS.

They're solid little cars if they're not rusted to hell and back.