Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
Credo quia impossibile est
Has no one considered the cp-e StandBack?

Just curious as to why those with the accessports chose Cobb over the cp-e Standback. Its an eternal debate over at various Mazda boards on the web so I am wondering what the general idea is on these forums.

(I own a Mazda3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

You mention a backyard SRI. I've read a little about air straighteners being necessary for some reason. Did you use one? I'm curious about the details of how you made the SRI, if you don't mind sharing.

Air straighteners are not required on an SRI - because once the air gets sucked in through the filter and by the time it travels the very short distance to the MAF sensor - there is no need for controlling the air flow.

Most important thing is the MAF housing - that needs to be a precise diameter - thats what the MAF sensor was set up for - changing the size of that, changes the tables and throws off the maps in the ecu (like with the Mazdaspeed CAI that was recalled). The other important thing is the air straightener - but only in the case of a CAI.

(I know cobb has an air straightener on their SRI, and cp-e ended up putting one in there as well just because cobb had one. But even if cobb had it - that doesn't mean its necessary)

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I got the AP because all the cool kids have them :cool:

Seriously though, I know of the AP from the Subaru world and they seem to be pretty well regarded. I didn't know anything about CP-E. Plus I got a good deal on the AP.
Which Mazda boards are you reading? I can't seem to find any good ones.

Mazda3Forums.com and Mazdaspeedforum.org

The mazdaspeedforums is all mazdaspeed obviously - its a good and informative forum, but relatively new - and the owner, and his pawns on the forum are heavily biased towards Cobb.

The mazda3forums, has a mazdaspeed section - which is, in my opinion a little better balanced, but the other forum might be abit more informative.

Either way - I look at both, as both have their ups and down and occasionally a fair share of drama.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

Frosty- posted:

The StandBack seems to be used mostly by guys building dyno queens who want big horsepower and don't mind exploding engines. The AP is a far better solution for a more casual application with the availability of free OTS maps. Also the AP is cheaper, ultimately, than the SB and the FC flash and the PnP majigger and whatever else is necessary.
There are huge faggots driving that "debate" out there at mazda6club and mazdaspeedforums.org and I hate them. Around here there will be no militancy, although I do prefer the AP because I think it suits me.
And don't you work for cp-e, too?

Hah yes I do - as of not that long ago.

Currently working on getting the Standback on the regular Mazda3 cars (I have one on mine)

The arguments about the Cobb vs. cp-e - indeed are lead by immature, ignorant and biased people. The application for these products is the same - but more importantly, its defined by how far you want to go and how much you want to make.

For true plug and play and simplicity (with the latest maps) - one goes with Cobb (like yourself).
For all out tunability and control - cp-e.

There are alot of people tripping over details - and forgetting about the bigger picture - the product itself and wether or not they need it.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

Frosty- posted:

It should be undetectable. There's no way of tallying the number of reflashes, and I'm under the impression that the stock map copied when you marry the AP to the car carries it's original timestamp, so it should appear like nothing was ever altered, and I'm not even sure a dealership has the wherewithal to examine the code on the ECU anway, and an accurate timestamp isn't really an indicator of anything at any rate, so... we should be A-OK.

Paging essequamvideri: How come cp-e's MS6 downpipe lacks the cast bellmouth of the MS3 part? I figured you might know or be able to find out.

The MS6 was a more limited production, it was more expensive and a few others reasons why MS6 ended up being a smaller market than the MS3.

MS3 grew quick and became popular in the modding community - we almost started designing stuff for the MS3 to be cast from the beginning so it was done right - where as with the earlier release MS6 we were learning about these processes.

Looking forward to the 2010 MS3 - Im personally not a fan of the design, but we'll see - maybe it will look better in person.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006

Tremek posted:

Just installed the Cobb SRI on my MS3 but wasn't aware of the bracket/engine movement breaking things. Any suggestions for the long run?

I would say you are fine.. the intake isnt heavy - it might put some load onto the silicone coupler and such.

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
A dyno day over at cp-e that took place last month..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1jy47lbxfI

a quick video that I put together of it - wish I could get more footage but I run the dyno(work at cp-e).

anyone who is local - please stop by!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

essequamvideri
Dec 10, 2006
sorry!

The DC metro area..