Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Are there any throttle response upgrades for the normal non-Speed Mazda3? I really hate the delay programmed into the electronic throttle when I clutch in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm thinking of upgrading my Mazda 3 to a Mazdaspeed6 (bigger back seat, more power, AWD is nice). Any known problems or issues with the 2006 model year?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Frosty- posted:

The clutch is really funky and will piss you off until you become immune to it.

Some 06 cars have had minor issues with the high-pressure fuel pump, VTCS, possibly some other mechanical stuff. Some have a power-loss issue for which there is a reflash that may or may not fix it.

Overall, no; the cars are fine.

There is very little aftermarket support being that they number something around ten thousand for both years together. cp-e is a pro operation and they have an aggressive stance toward the MS6, and Cobb has provided some items as well. Corksport also offers a lot, and the rest is forgettable. The MS6 is no STI or Evo when it comes to aftermarket.

I really like mine a lot, riceboy faggots seem to find the ownership experience more than a little frustrating. So there that is.

I recommend it - great car.

Yeah I just test drove a speed6 tonight and liked it. I also test drove a GTO and honestly the GTO is a better car for me, more raw power and fun. However the Mazda dealer I was at has had a couple speed6's on their lot for ~6 months now and they aren't going anywhere soon. I'm gonna offer a super hard bargain, take my '05 Mazda3 and I kick in a few grand for the Mazdaspeed6. I get a bigger Mazda with more power and the dealer gets a car that's much easier to sell. It's unfortunate that the speed6 was such a flop--it's not fast enough for the enthusiast crowd and not luxurious for the high end crowd. If they don't bite oh well, but if they do then I get a speed6 for 12-14ish.

edit: I thought the clutch was fine on the speed6. I might just be used to Mazda's clutch though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Accessport for MS6? I'd rather sell it and just buy a downpipe or something. The lack of support for the 6 is bothering me. I guess if I wanted to mod I should have bought an MS3.

So seriously, I'll make a good deal for a goon if you want it. PM me or hit me up at darkan at gmail dot com

If I get a speed6 soon I might be interested. What can the access port do with a stock speed6? Can you upload different tunes for more power when you want it? Do you need to get intake, downpipe, etc.? How bad is the lack of support?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Does a stock '06 speed6 need 93 octane fuel for best performance? I noticed the Mazda page here lists it. I don't think there are any 93 octane stations around where I live though. Wasn't this a big problem when the speed6 was released, they tuned it for 93 but most people can only run 91 so performance suffers?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'm trying to find as many issues as I can to bring up when negotiating with the dealer. I'm hoping I can get one for 13k out the door ('06 sport model with 25k miles).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DreamOn13 posted:

Holy poo poo are they really dropping down that low? When I was looking at the MS3 they were still around 20k or so, and this was about a year ago.

They're asking 17900 for the speed6 but between it and another speed6 sitting on their lot for 6 months, the need for 93 octane in an area that only gets 91 and 92, looks only a mother can love (good luck moving these older 6's when the new ones are all over the lot), and a printout of completed ebay auctions where none have sold for more than 13k I think I have a good chance.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Christ I have to vent somewhere, I'm days away from trading my Mazda3 in for a new car and some rear end in a top hat just scraped the bumper in a parking lot. No note or anything and now I have to pray the scratches will rub out decently. loving Mazda curse! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Kynetx posted:

Hey, speaking of all this "weather"-related poo poo... I live in the Pacific Northwest and rain is a fair more likely hazard than a couple of snow days (when I'm more likely to drive the '78 F150 anyway), so what's a good "rain tire"? There used to be the Aquatread. Does anyone make anything remotely similar?

I would look for good all season tires. Tirerack is nice because people can rate characteristics of each tire like its rain performance, so look for one with high rain performance. I have a set of summer tires with great rain performance and they're fine in these rainy Seattle falls. Be careful about winter this year--if La Nina comes through as bad as they predict we could be in for a repeat of 3 years ago.