Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

85 should be fine at your altitude. If you're really paranoid, bump it up one grade. Really though you don't need to spend extra money on higher octane. Don't bother yourself to seek out non-ethanol gas. It's pretty tough nowadays and I imagine it was calibrated for E10 anyway (since it's more or less the standard now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looking for those cars with that low of mileage when I was looking for cars recently was impossible. Easily $15k here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Do not buy a Chrysler 200. They are lovely cars. I don't know if specific years are affected but I've heard they have a lot of transmission issues.

Please buy an ex rental 200. We need more comedy in this forum.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dang, low mileage ones do exist. Wonder how good that price is.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 17, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Miata got the spot in the garage this year so I want to throw an engine block heater on the 6. Anyone here done that, is there a brand I should use/avoid?

Your car isn't a diesel, and you're not in Canada, so, why?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Because last year we had several windchills well below zero and if my car was outside it was a huge pain to start it.

Meaning you had to crank it for more than 2 seconds? Or you just had to jump it or what? Sounds like weak battery as suggested.

Your neighbor doesn't need a block heater, either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Buy a used stock one if you can find it, IMO. It's not going to gain you much otherwise I'd bet and just be louder.

Personally, I'm too old for that poo poo. :corsair:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I personally wouldn't bother. It'll just rust from the inside out anyway instead. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Jesus christ do modern Mazdas STILL have rust cancer?

Modern? Newest MS6 is a 2007. That's still 10 years old. Same era as the first gen 3 in my mind at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I thought that was a problem with the rear shocks? I know mine creaked quite a bit in the cold, way back when. I seem to remember reading something about it being due to the shocks...?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Revvik posted:

Black cherry, the only color it should have come in. Hit 100k miles this month; it's a 2006. I'll post pics up tomorrow.

Paid $13k in 2012.

Revvik posted:

I'm nowhere near trying to make money on it considering what it cost me almost five years ago, I'm just delusional about its value.

Keep up with this line of thinking and sell it to me for beans.

At least it isn't this bad.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/6083370722.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 20, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, it's usually the extra sidewall that gives you more cushion. Depends on the suspension setup but almost always it's noticeable going to a smaller size. Still, lighter wheels are the best place to reduce rotational mass which will improve acceleration a bit. This you may not notice if you don't drive aggressively but 10 lbs/wheel is a pretty decent weight loss. Have to factor in tire weight as well as they vary pretty widely. If you aren't going much wider on the tire though it's probably minimally different (or less since again, smaller diameter).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I fit 16" OEM Mazda 6 steelies w/snows on my old 08.5 MS3, but I had a slight rub at one of the calipers and did indeed have to file a small area. It was very tight, wouldn't do that again.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 5, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

wzm posted:

Stock, 118k, one owner (prior to me, a month ago), and always dealer maintained. The dealer spent $3k of the last owner's money on a timing chain overhaul back in January.

I think the dealer missed the turbo oil issue, the bearings started developing a problem, and while things seemed okay after I refilled the oil, a little bit of boost must have finished them off. I got a good enough deal that I'm still comfortable with the gamble I took, but I guess I'll see how I feel after I sell or rebuild it.

If the trans is still in decent shape without grinds and overall the car is clean, I'd just rebuild it or buy a used shortblock + turbo. Still you aren't in very deep money wise.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anything else?

Sounds like he's replaced most of the bad stuff. Mine had creaky shocks and the weak motor mount.

opengl128 posted:

Beware shocker stickers and evil M badges.

That poo poo is the worst. People doing "free mods" :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Revvik posted:

https://youtu.be/5dubCchy748

My girlfriend borrowed my car and sent me this. How am I about to die?

Terribly.

Was the blower motor on?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Seems like the Skyactiv-X is going to have spark plugs and be able to switch between normal ignition and HCCI. And a supercharger! Very interesting stuff...

I'm curious how often it will use HCCI vs. normal combustion.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have a hard time believing they're going to sell too many of those kits, but who knows.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

A few more details about Skyactiv-X and the refreshed 3 platform that it'll go in for 2019:

http://jalopnik.com/mazda-s-holy-grail-of-gasoline-engines-is-completely-1801820285

I thought Mazda had made a pact with a warlock or something but it turns out this is what they're doing:

Same guy got to drive around some 3's with the Skyactiv-X version of the 2.0L with auto and manual. Sounds like there's a few kinks to work out but during the 45 minute test drives over 90% of the drive time was spent with the engines operating in SPCCI mode.

[url]http://jalopnik.com/i-drove-mazda-s-holy-grail

-of-gasoline-engines-and-it-w-1800874806[/url]

Seems promising?

tldr: Skyactiv-X is cool and good and Mazda is spending a lot of time thinking about your butt.

I had a feeling that Mazda was full of poo poo when they said they were doing HCCI since the big manufacturers haven't been able to do it yet reliably.

edit: not to say this isn't cool, it just isn't what was initially reported. I'm surprised they actually are using in cylinder pressure sensors and they will actually last...

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 8, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Maybe I misread the articles, but how is Mazda full of poo poo? Am I misunderstanding your reaction? I'm just a EE who doesn't remember thermodynamics.

Many reported it's an HCCI (homogeneous charge compression ignition) engine, which it's really not since the spark is still starting combustion. I knew it was going to have spark plugs but initially reports said that it would use those for the 10% operating modes they couldn't use HCCI. That's why they're calling it SPCCI instead of HCCI.

Either way, it's good for the industry pushing something out like this. I just hope it actually works.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ace tends to have a much better selection than HD / Lowes, though.

This is true in Michigan and Ohio too. I always go there for metric bolts, they have way better poo poo than the big stores locally, even if my Ace store is tiny. They even have stainless and allen head metric stuff which is nice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Better question is why you're putting it in there in the first place? Afraid of the Mazda curse? :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How are the 1st gen 6 wagons? I know they have the dumpy v6 (by today's standards), but anything else good or bad I should know?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

As a person who lives in a place that gets ice, I really want to punch whoever keeps pushing Tesla-style door handles for concept cars.

eh, it's a concept. It's never going to make it to production like that, they just want it to look nice and not have poo poo like that that breaks up the design. Just look at those sideview "mirrors." :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Then they sell 800 and kill it, everyone bitches. The cycle repeats.

This for every performance/hatchback/wagon/even slightly niche vehicle, ever. "I'd totally buy that brown diesel manual wagon. Used."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So the A/C compressor seized and that's why it's not starting?

Sounds like they're lumping in every maintenance thing they can on that bill. And most of it is wildly overpriced. Guessing this is a Mazda dealer and not an independent shop.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

As for the yellow goop. Apparently most or motor mounts are filled with some kind of grease or oil.

Ah yes, liquid filled engine mounts. I bucket that in with "great idea but usually poor execution."

Brings back bad memories of my gen 1 CTS-V. It was the only way to get a Cadillac-esque ride/NVH with a big honkin' V8. Too bad they were right by the headers, so the rubber failed in short order and leaked that poo poo everywhere. :allears:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

My 2011 Mazda3 seems to have trouble starting when the engine has been run for short periods of time and not warmed up enough.

Like today I had to run over to the hospital lab from the office real quick and I didn't want to bother with taking a company car so jumped in the Mazda. Got in, drove over, and was inside for about 10 minutes. When I came out the car had to crank for 4-5 seconds before it started. It was 25 or so American degrees out.

Anyone else have this experience and is this something I should worry about? No CELs or anything.

Personally I wouldn't worry unless it doesn't start. The only things that I can think of that would cause that would be a drop in fuel pressure in the lines (building it back up while cranking) or a weak battery. But does it do it on a true cold start? If not, it's probably neither of those and maybe they just didn't do a great job on the "slightly warm but still in open loop" start up calibrations...?

MetaJew posted:

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the clunk that I hear, so I think there's something loose or failing in the rear suspension, possibly the rear driver side.

Related: what are the symptoms of the transmission mount failing? Just spitballing if the busted PMM could've caused excessive wear on the transmission mount.

Not sure what year your car is but I remember the gen 1 MS3's had issues with the rear sway bar links loosening. I would just jack up the rear and have a look and torque the shocks/struts/links/everything-else-you-can-get-a-wrench-on to make sure they're snug.

One failed mounts will put more load on the rest, so it's possible it could have accelerated wear on the others. Have somebody rev your car in neutral (not Drive, don't get your rear end ran over) while you look in the engine bay and see how much the engine moves. Failing that, I would just grab the engine and give it a shake and see if the movement is excessive. Usually you'll be able to feel the powertrain rocking until it hits a hard stop (bottom out the mount or bushing) or you'll be able to see a crazy amount of vibration when it's revved up and torques the engine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

My 2014 ‘3 just hit 60k miles and the tires are a little cupped. I’m looking at knocking out all the maintenance I can in one swoop. Tires and shocks/struts all around and alignment for sure.

I was thinking MT gear lube should probably be changed along with the brake fluid. What about engine coolant? Should I stick with the 100k interval on that?

The glovebox manual lists an interval for fuel filter, but the local parts chain only shows universal fit filters. Is that actually something I can get to or is it integrated in the tank with the fuel pump?

Anything else I should add to the list. Most DIY minus the tires age alignment.

Coolant is probably fine since it likely has a long life coolant factory fill. I'd check the gearbox oil and see what the manual says, but it won't hurt to do. Don't do a universal fuel filter. Which engine do you have? The 2.0 has a filter that comes up on Rock Auto (shop for parts prices there vs. locally, it's usually WAY cheaper). I don't see one for the 2.5 but surely you can order it through Mazda if you can't get it elsewhere.

Before buying a bunch of stuff I would do a general inspection of the suspension and replace as necessary. Check for sway bar links and ball joints for play and bushing wear. 60k miles doesn't sound like you'll find much but who knows since we don't know about your driving conditions.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Betting on a bubble in the sidewall or a bent wheel.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm sick of driving a lowered car. Currently on Cobb springs, which are only a 1" drop and still pretty hard to live with on the cratered streets of Oakland. Any rec's for springs close to stock ride height on a Speed3? Shocks are Corksport adjustables.

Just get some OEM take offs from a forum?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If you changed shocks and all that, then it's probably a bushing somewhere. Hard to tell without having a look, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Jack up the car and take a pry bar to everything and see where the movement is. Did you replace shock mounts when you did them?

Sway bar bushings shouldn't clunk, but they may be noisy if not greased. More of a squeak than anything. End links also should not make any noise.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I haven't done my shocks yet.

Edit: a thing that made me a little nervous was how few threads of the be Moog endlinks are engaged on the bolt that goes through the JBR sway bar. With the included lock washer and nut, no threads extend through the end of the nut. I did not have any blue locktite to put on the bolts but I did of course torque them down to spec.

Doesn't sound good. Were the moog links different than the factory ones? (aka the studs on them are shorter?) If they're bolted on the ends, just buy longer bolts.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It won't hurt anything, it's designed to be fed through the turbo and burned in the engine. It can gum up the valves on DI engines but that's about the only downside.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd call the local dealer's parts department and ask them for the part number. If it's cheap enough, buy it there. Otherwise google whatever they tell you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Aexo posted:

Okay, but what do I call it?

And as I was typing that I just realized the right side might have a part number on it.

If you describe it as you have above, the parts guy will find it if he knows what he's doing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Haha, I was hearing Ron Howard say that in my head before you confirmed it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I remember mine did that, only when at a really fast speed. I didn't own it long enough to bother fixing it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wibla posted:

Iirc you can adjust it? Should be a procedure for it somewhere.

Probably just turning the rod in/out for the master cylinder.