Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just picked up my new (to me) car.

NZ new car, 53,500kms when I picked it up so I did end up paying top dollar. For all the hundred of imports around its actually quite hard to find an NZ new one of these in decent nick (ruled out imports on the lack of cruise, proper audio systems and side airbags alone, let alone non-existent service histories).

Pretty drat cool coming from a big, floaty, automatic V35 Skyline - certainly put a massive grin on my face during the 400km drive back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Cheers for the info, just kind of brainstorming since 35k on a set of tires seems really poor to me.

Is that really considered poor? Do you not have any corners in your part of the world?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Did you get 200 miles off half a tank? I'd get like 225-250 off the whole tank.

That sounds pretty bad - I get at least 500km in mine and where I live isn't exactly conducive to fuel economy.

BTW do I win lowest mileage first gen?

(also marvel at my 280km/h speedo)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I don't have a picture but I just rolled over 51000 :smuggo:

Are you counting in miles or kilometres?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

It's a red looking gradient thing and looks tacky as gently caress.

Yep it still looks weird in person.

Actually the interior is one of the reasons I chose a first gen over a second gen - it may be as plasticky as hell but I much prefer the design over the second gen (which admittedly does have a bit nicer materials)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

The alcantara seats are boss.

That's on the facelift first gen right? Mine is too early so I missed out on them.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Just seems weird since it's a segment the 3 hatch can satisfy unless this is all about AWD boners... Which it is, isn't it?

It's more the height than actually being AWD - there as AWD versions of the 3 available anyway if that was the only issue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm actually really glad my car pre-dates all that crap - you're always better off just using a phone anyway

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Yeah even when they added it to the 3 in '07 you still sometimes had to buy some kind of adapter to get it to function 'cause it shared the button with the satellite radio or something. A lot of the function was kind of added to their modular radio system where they probably never imagined a lot of this stuff when it was first created.

Shouldn't it just be the 'Media' button?

My pre-facelift 08 has the same stereo as posted above but with FM and AM separated out into different buttons (satellite radio was never a thing here) and an MP3 logo near the load button

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

wa27 posted:

What's with the buttons on the right side? Hands-free stuff that the US never got?

It's an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the Aux port so yeah it will look out of place. Gotta have my Bluetooth though and this was a zero effort solution.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

How is this powered? Usb?

It's powered off the cigarette lighter type power socket next to the aux input but yeah USB would work

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've only had mine for four months so far, and it is a very low mileage car so I can't really comment on reliability yet (it's been fine but that's what you'd expect)

The only thing that annoys me is it has a bunch of little stone chips on the roof which I'm 90% sure I did on the drive back from picking it up and they're starting to rust already - the paint really isn't that great on these.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just had the pollen filter in my 2008 3 done today by the local corner garage - the tech said it really isn't that bad once you're used to it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Is the dry spot above where the intake for the intercooler is?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Urrgghh just attempted to go out to pick up some delicious takeaway curry only to find my MS3 completely dead.

It has been cold, and I hadn't driven it for a week, it usually I'd have expected some warning between a car which works completely fine and one that doesn't have any juice whatsoever (not even enough for the central locking or dome light)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

dissss posted:

Urrgghh just attempted to go out to pick up some delicious takeaway curry only to find my MS3 completely dead.

It has been cold, and I hadn't driven it for a week, it usually I'd have expected some warning between a car which works completely fine and one that doesn't have any juice whatsoever (not even enough for the central locking or dome light)

And it turns out I'd left a map light on like the idiot I am.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Not sure how old the old battery was but it definitely wasn't OEM (some questionable looking Aussie brand).

Whether it was necessary or not it's been replaced anyway because I needed the car back in action right away.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

grahm posted:

I'm thinking about buying an '08 3 Hatchback (grand touring) with 93K miles. I've read a few pages of this thread but not all of them. Anything I should be looking out for? I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The Autocheck on the car is good, and the car is stock and looks clean. I'm sorta bummed it's an automatic, but I think I can deal.

Reliability reports on the internet seem somewhat varied, but I also know people usually only write when something goes wrong. Any thoughts? It's either this or an Acura TSX.

I've only had mine for six or so months but so far so good. The most disappointing thing about to me is the quality of the paint - especially on the roof it's really thin so I have a bunch of little chips.

E. also I have a rattle in the dash, but I'm 90% sure it is something that got dislodged when the cabin air filter was replaced.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Someone in the UK did the engine swap but if memory serves the wagon can't be straight up swapped to AWD, it needed a fuckload of modification.

You could buy an AWD 6 wagon in Japan, and they're relatively common grey imports here.

Not sure how similar the system is to the one in the MS6 though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mazda already has diesels, they don't have a performance version of the current petrol.

BTW the diesel absolutely ruins the 3 - you aren't missing anything there.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Either way the VW thing has killed any chance of that engine ending up in the US

BTW performance on the 3 diesel is pretty good - it's a much nicer engine than the VW 2l in that regard. The problem is it's an extra ~120kg right at the very front of the car

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Unless you were really set on AWD I don't see why you'd get one over a 2 or 3 anyway.

I mean I'm sure it's a good vehicle but it's significantly smaller and slightly less economical than 3 without being cheaper and a lot more expensive than a 2.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, Mazda didn't get properly into the modern fuel mileage game until the Skyactiv engines came out. Until then, it seemed like standard Mazda tuning was "make it a bit rich, then add some more fuel".

Made the choice of getting an MS3 pretty easy for me - economy is barely (if at all) worse than the non-turbo models

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I haven't heard the Mazda curse mentioned for a while. Is it still a thing?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of tyres what's a good reasonably quiet choice for a first gen MS3 in the stock size?

I've currently got Falken ZE-912s on the rear and I'm not sure whether they just suck or have perished or something but road noise is extreme on the typical course chip crap the roads are mostly made of around here.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hmmm even more expensive here, like $400+ USD per corner

They also don't seem to come in the stock 215/45R18 size

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The issues I've had on my '08 have been annoyances rather than actual problems

The paint is pretty bad, especially the roof for some reason (it has a bit of cosmetic rust around stone chips and I'm not in a rust-prone area)
There was an annoying rattle between the base of the windscreen and the plastic cowling
Excessive road noise when the rear tyres get a bit worn down

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Trust me dude, that song will kill your wallet.

My MS3 is barely different on fuel than my brothers '05 2.3 6 (manual too)

I don't think it's at all bad for a car of that performance level

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Just got the MS3 back from the shop. The whole roof was covered in rusty stone chips, the clips that hold the black plastic rails running down each side of the roof were starting to rust and there was a bit of rust starting in the seam sealer near the boot hinges too.

Cost $500 to get the rust dealt with and the whole roof resprayed which I thought was more than reasonable given how good the car looks now.

The guy in the shop says he sees similar vintage Mazdas with similar problems all the time - seldom anything serious (we generally don't get terminal rust here) but lots of annoying cosmetic stuff.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The CX5 is actually quite a lot smaller than a 6 sedan. I'd go with the 6 though, they're just a nicer vehicle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Out with the old:

In with the new:

I was at the dealership looking at getting a 2 when a white 3 happened to catch my eye - it was one of two facelifts they had on the lot (the other was a loaded and much more expensive Limited trim) in a sea of 2015 models and much to my surprise it had a manual transmission. After thinking about it over night I decided it was worth a drive, and after the drive I decided I was going to buy it.

The amount of tech in even relatively low end new cars these days somewhat boggles my primitive brain - I've never even even had built in bluetooth let alone stuff like blindspot monitoring and speed sign recognition and brakes that apply themselves.

It's a lot of money for what is essentially a big downgrade in the fun department but really it was time to let go of the MPS - when I actually felt like driving it was fantastic, but the rest of the time it was rattly, hard riding and unrefined. I just hope this ends up being a good compromise because I'm drat well sticking with it until the warranty is up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

If you can find a current gen 3 the auto is loving awesome. I'm not even sure I would take a manual at this point.

The manual is great too, completely happy with going for it on my new 3 even with the slight economy loss (offset by the cheaper purchase price)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I bought the first facelift (I'm not going to say 2017, this was in September so that's ridiculous) off the lot so I got to hear the new features spiel from the dealer. A lot of stuff is market dependent so may or may not apply where you are.
- G-vectoring which makes an extremely subtle difference to how the car corners
- HUD is now colour
- Parking sensors in the front
- Traffic sign recognition
- Electric handbrake
So nothing particularly noteworthy

Aside from that it's the normal facelift stuff, different bumpers and lights, darker coloured wheels, different seats, new steering wheel that sort of stuff

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Or teach new drivers how to hill-start. I was kind of bummed that the '17 mazda3 got a button-brake.

Hill-assist works drat well, but my wife still kept taking longer than the 3 seconds hill-assist allows then rolling backwards in a panic.

Just get her to put the handbrake on, it will release automatically once the car starts moving forward

MA-Horus posted:

In other news, I found the first body rust on my '09. Paint chips on the roof.

I had to have the entire roof repainted on my old 08 and my partners 05 has similar little bits of rust. Annoying.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My 2016 3 rarely starts off the audio again, and when it does it usually starts playing a podcast in BeyondPod even when I was recently listening to music in Spotify or GPM. I put this down to the phone rather than the car though as I get the same behaviour with other cars (and Bluetooth speakers etc). The phone will respond to 'Ok Google, play <band> in Spotify' so I usually just do that.

Question: several times now the nav system has got stuck on 'Loading Navigation' with a spinning dial. Ejecting and reinserting the SD card fixes it but that's a pain in the arse. Anyone else had that happen?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

My 08.0 had the spots of roof rust and I don't live anywhere snowy. I had the whole roof repainted and the body shop dude reckoned it was more a case of bad prep than stone chips. Light blueish grey paint.

My partner's early 05 has the same thing going on and rust on the lower corner of the front passenger side door (although maybe that's because it's been whacked into too many curbs). Metallic Red paint.

Interestingly my brother's 04 6 has zero rust anywhere and it lives outside and is generally abused. Also has metallic Red paint although not the same shade as the 05 3

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Makes me feel fairly good about getting $15.5k trade in for my (pretty much immaculate low mileage) MS3, even if the dealer did put it straight back on the lot for $20k

I'm on the other side of the world so of course it bears no relation to US prices but I think even for here I got out at a good time

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

There are quite a few other manufacturers using similar setups and it's only going to get more common

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I drove a base with 16" wheels for a while and didn't notice it riding much differently to my 2.5 with the 18"s. I guess there may be suspension differences between the models though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Urrghhh just got my Mazda 3 back from the body shop after waiting 8 weeks for a replacements rear bumper/ assorted parts to come in and I'm still getting a BSM warning on the dash.

The body shop reckons it's unrelated but given the timing and the where the damage is I don't believe them. I'm guessing it's going to be tag now between the insurance company, the body shop and the dealer :/

Moral of the story - watch where you're drat well going or you'll cause yourself a massive ongoing headache.