Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

PurpleFender posted:

Doesn't the NC Miata have a non-trubo MZR? Do they get to join?
Yes but we don't get an AccessPORT. Mazda say they can't fit the 2.3 in the MX-5 because of the fuel pump. The only solution as I see it is a nuclear powered electric fuel pump.

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I've heard two different stories about intakes. One story is that they make a huge difference in power. The other is that they don't do poo poo but make the car sound better. So is it really worth spending $185 on a new intake? My car came with a K&N filter from the previous owner, if that means anything.
If the stock intake piping is quite restrictive it can make a reasonable difference. The difference between a K&N and a regular paper filter is practically nothing though. BITOG did a pressure drop test and found a 0.14% air flow improvement with a K&N over the worst paper filter.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

GoblinBomb posted:

I see a lot of people saying that K&N filters are terrible, but what do those people consider the best filter?
It's not K&N specifically. I should have said cotton/foam filter. K&Ns actually filter better than the AMSOIL foam filters, and they are easier to maintain. Paper filters better, cotton/foam flows slightly better. That applies regardless of which brand the filter is. In the case of the MS3 changing the intake piping will make much more of a difference.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Sublime Process posted:

I've heard on some Mazda forums that Royal Purple makes a tranny oil? Any idea if that's right and if it helps?
They do, whether it's worth the extra cost I can't say.

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Grounding the throttle body is retarded. I just did a quick search and the first guide I found started with "Well.. This mod is to ground your throttle body and basically get rid of all the static which lies within it.". I'd like to know what static they are referring to. We use 1.5 sq mm earth to ground all our signal cables, and that's overkill. If DBW could be made smoother and less laggy by adding a couple of dollars worth of copper wire, don't you think OEMs would be doing it?

bear scrylls fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear scrylls
Aug 28, 2008

Frosty- posted:

If [some improvement] could be made to a car at the cost of a couple dollars wouldn't manufacturers already be doing that? Not necessarily, if those dollars add up to several hundred million down the road.
A couple of dollars is what it'd cost us, with relatively expensive Australian made cable (even that's a pretty high estimate). An automotive OEM using thinner cable, buying in bulk, you're probably talking a few cents.

The biggest problem with this "mod" is that I've been searching around and I can't find anybody with a valid explanation for why this should make any difference. You may as well throw a Cyclone fuel saver on while you're at it.