Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

The 4th gen 3 reveal is scheduled for the 28th. The current 2.5L SkyactivG forms the new base trims and the new 2.0L SkyactivX becomes the upper trims. Apparently the SkyactivX will be a "mild hybrid" involving some sort of electric generator system. Not really sure what that means other than they couldn't quite work all the kinks out of the SCCI setup before showtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Got those Potenza RE980AS tires: Quieter than the worn out stock Dunlop Sport 5000s but not by a lot. Where the Dunlops conveyed a lot of vibration into the car on lovely pavement the Bridgestones dampen it for a much smoother feeling ride, but they seem to be somewhat noisy in general. Dry and wet traction are great and steering response is outstanding. Maybe the Michelins would've been quieter but probably not $250 worth of extra quiet.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

How's the 15 noise wise? I came from dailying a Miata so when I got my 2011 I thought it was fairly quiet but now I drive any other vehicle and realize how loud it is at interstate speed.

I have a 14 and it's noisy as gently caress. Invest in good rubber if you're gonna get one.

We're a few hours away from the official 4th generation reveal. Wondering what the final power numbers will be for the 2.0L SkyactivX trim, probably an assload of torque and I'm assuming more horsepower than the current 2.5L. Not sure how I feel about the exterior shots that have been out out, but that interior is goddamn inspired.

Isn't driving with headphones on or similar devices illegal in some states?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

dissss posted:

The 3 has always had an AWD version (as have pretty much all Japanese cars since the 90s). Has it been confirmed they're going to export it this time around?

Some jumping around on various automotive sites seems to suggest that AWD is coming to the NA market.

- Skyactiv-G will be first available in 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5L setups. North America is getting the 2.5 as the new base engine, auto and manual still available
- 2.0L Skyactiv-X with magical spark controlled HCCI will become "available later in 2019"
- AWD available for North American market, probably as automatic only
- Rear multilink suspension has been replaced with a torsion bar
- New "polymetal grey" color exclusive to the hatchback version
- Red leather interior seen in some pictures is exclusive to the hatchback version

MA-Horus posted:

I was pretty goddamn stunned when I got my blizzaks put on that they're QUIETER than the Dunlops

What the gently caress how is that possible

Dunlop uses pop-its and the shattered dreams of orphaned puppies instead of carbon black in the tread compound of the Sport 5000.

Turns out Bridgestone does something similar for the RE980AS because they aren't much quieter. :(

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

With that said, if there is a more mainstream available AWD 3 out
And there is a turbo CX-5 GT-R

Anybody see where I'm going with this?

If you're suggesting what I think you are: I thought the filthy torque steer that could reverse the spin of the Earth if not handled properly was part of charm of the first one. Wouldn't AWD lose that?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 28, 2018

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

:barf: https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-hatchs-rear-visibility-is-precisely-as-1830754940 :barf:

The 4th gen Mazda3 is gonna become the scourge of lane changes and parking lots everywhere.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Does Mazda offer any AWD setups with a manual in today's line up? If they don't have something ready-ish to use I can't imagine they'd freshly engineer a manual AWD setup in 2019 and especially not for something that isn't an SUV.

As far as a speed variant Jalopnik had this little blurb:

quote:

When our David Tracy asked Mazda representatives in LA about a Mazdaspeed version of the new 3, we were also told not to expect one. But hey, we were reminded, the company does offer “Signature” versions of the Mazda 6 and CX-5, which, along with other higher trims, both get 2.5-liter, four-cylinder turbocharged engines rated at 250 horsepower.

“When asked if that engine fits in the 3, they said it does,” David reported back from the show floor.

I hope that means there's a nutty Mazda3 mule car running around somewhere with the 2.5 turbo in it and also hope that means at some point a "signature" variant will show up with it. It'll have a hell of a price tag, have AWD, and not be offered with a manual so not calling it Mazdaspeed seems fine.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The 3 is transitioning into a new fourth generation with the 2019 models and with that are some unanswered questions: Road noise is an unknown but Mazda has said the new body/suspension is supposed to dampen noise more over the outgoing third generation. The third generation is a pretty noisy ride but the driving dynamics are great otherwise.

The SkyactivX engine with spark controlled compression ignition is the other big unknown. It won't be available initially which suggests all the kinks haven't been worked out yet. In theory if it works well you'll get the best of both gasoline and diesel engines: High efficiency and assloads of torque. The current SkyactivG engines are pretty bullet proof and the 2.5L makes a good pair with the 3 in terms of power/weight ratios.

Some people will whine about Mazda's being vulnerable to body rust but I don't think that's been an actual issue for any Kodo styled bodies which includes the third generation Mazda3 and beyond.

Touchscreen visibility hasn't been an issue for me mostly because it's bright and the interior is enclosed enough the sun doesn't get much opportunity to shine on it. The fourth generation is even more enclosed so I don't see this being an issue.

Also forgot to mention: These cars are available with manual transmissions and the automatics aren't horrible CVT slush boxes where power goes to die.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 2, 2018

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Today’s eBay code “PICKUPSALE” takes the 2014+ CarPlay retrofit kit to $132. I guess it’s time to find a good howto.

I've been on the Internet since 1994. This finally caused me to create an eBay account in the year of our lord 2018.

Thanks for the tip!

...but eBay can still suck my dick.

Edit: Here's a how-to copied from earlier in the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op6A5_e3ncU

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 15, 2018

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

So I'm about to do the AA/AP upgrade on my 2014 and have a dumb question: I'm in the sweet spot for my original equipment battery to die just by sheer age. Should I replace it before doing the procedure or will having a trickle charger hooked up the whole time be enough to hedge my bets?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Jalopnik got to drive around the new 3 sedan over the weekend.

It sounds like cabin noise has been significantly reduced and the switch to a torsion bar suspension in the rear didn't hamper things very much. The author also made a few mildly interesting comments in regards to more power:

quote:

I told the CEO of Mazda North America the most requested thing about the Mazda 3 from our readers was a turbo AWD manual hatchback to his face, and he smiled and said, “oh really?”

So if it happens now, you’re welcome.

quote:

Anytime anybody brought up performance pitches, the Mazda folks got coy. I suspect they have something planned that they think will satisfy people who miss Mazdaspeed. Not sure what it is, I just hope it’s enough.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

My conspiracy theory: They can't get SkyactivX to meet U.S. emissions standards so they're rushing to slam the turbo 2.5 SkyactivG into the top end Mazda3s that'll land in the U.S. mass market and they'll call it the "signature" trim level.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

They're going to call it the GTR. Anything else would be sacrelige.

Regardless of name if it happens it's gonna drink Subaru's and VW's milkshake and everyone who can see past that C-pillar is gonna love it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I doubt the New York Auto Show announcement is related to this, but there's some more rumblings about a Mazdaspeed 3 successor this time from Mazda program manager Kota Beppu:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hot-mazda-3-cards-take-vw-golf-gti/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27127908/mazda-considers-mazdaspeed-3-hot-hatch/
https://jalopnik.com/mazda-has-all-the-right-parts-to-build-a-new-mazdaspeed-1834032981

quote:

In launching the fourth-generation small car in Australia, visiting programme manager Kota Beppu said he wants a “hyper” version of the hatchback.

“I’m a car guy, so I myself want to drive a high performance Mazda 3… I’ll do my best,” he said. Although he claimed the project had not been officially signed off, insiders suggest that is a formality. Beppu said there was keen interest from “most developed countries”, including the US, Japan and Australia.

quote:

Beppu says there is demand within the Australian, European, and U.S. markets for such a car, but ultimately it will come down to how easy it is to fit this hot 3 within the new European emissions regulations.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a decade-long troll like Mazda bringing Skyactiv diesels to the U.S.. But if that's changing on Wednesday maybe this will too?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe it was some executive's pet project?

Even if it is a fantastic drive those MPG numbers, diesel prices, and VW pissing in the pool aren't gonna bring people to the lot for test drives.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28078/possible-mazdaspeed3-hatch-and-sedan-prototypes-spotted-in-heavy-camouflage

quote:

Camouflaged Mazda test mules have been photographed on the back of a car carrier, leading to speculation that the vehicles are prototypes for an upcoming sports sedan or hot hatchback based on the new generation Mazda3.

Those are some chonker tires if it's a speed mule car.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Some Guy From NY posted:

Need tires for a 2014 mazda6. 19" wheels. All seasons only, with decent winter performance.

What is everyone running on their 2014+ 6's?

I am looking at BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

I got some new tires for a 2014 Mazda3 recently and here's what I remember when originally researching what to go with:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 - Apparently the "softest" of the three in handling but probably the best overall value at non-sale prices.
Bridgestone Potenza RE980 A/S - Was the newest of the three at the time replacing the RE970 before it. I ultimately went this route because of a great sale price during a Firestone promo.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - I don't think anyone had anything bad to say about this one but they're spendy.

There was a fourth one from Pirelli I but I can't remember the specific model. The RE980s I ended up with handle great but they're noisy and actually made a noticeable dent in fuel efficiency compared to the OEM tires. I got to take them out in winter conditions a handful of times and they suck on wet snow/slush. If that's something you have to deal with every winter you'll be better off with dedicated snow tires anyways.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

These are the ST X coilovers at full height. Looks really good, drives well, but not what I wanted. I've made a huge mistake.

I think I know roughly where that picture was taken. Anyways it looks great, what about it don't you like?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Dumb question incoming: I put off replacing my battery this past winter but will definitely need to deal with it before this next one. This is for a 2014 Mazda3 with the original battery. My question is: If I install the battery myself without some sort of device to maintain power during the process will the car's stereo or other electronics do anything stupid like disable themselves as an anti-theft mechanism? I remember this was a big deal with some cars like 10 years ago and some dealerships made mints off of DIY people having to come in to get the stereos reactivated.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Alighieri posted:

I didn't get a deep cycle battery so mine will probably not last as long as it should since I have that eLoop capacitor thingy.

Deep cycle? Nah, get an AGM one that you can take with you from car to car: :getin: https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/redtop-starting-battery/35

I was originally posting that in jest but now that I look around conventional 26R batteries are only $60 less. Batteries really went up in the price over the last 6 or 7 years.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

Does the ieLoop do anything really? I was curious about that. They only put it on the GT, IIRC.

I have it on mine and it threw a code within the first two weeks of owning the car. Other than that never noticed it. Supposedly it implements regenerative braking that feeds into a 25V capacitor that can feed the car's electrical systems in lieu of the alternator after stepping down to 12V. It's not a bad idea on paper but I guess Mazda threw it out with the fourth generation 3? Also the capacitor is a shock hazard in vehicles with front end damage. :science:

On further research apparently if your Mazda has this system it needs a magic unicorn "Q85" battery, however people have apparently plopped in AGM batteries without issues. I guess I'm going red top.

Edit: What the gently caress? On this Q85 thing:

quote:

Even though the battery is 12 volt, it is specifically designed for use with the i-ELOOP system. It's designated as a Q85 type battery, and is currently only available through Mazda. When replacing an i-ELOOP equipped vehicle's battery, be sure to install the correct Q85 type battery.

There are special procedures for jump starting, disconnecting and charging the Q85 battery. An i-ELOOP equipped vehicle can be jump-started, but the vehicle must not be driven until an in-dash i-ELOOP warning display turns off. Before disconnecting an i-ELOOP equipped vehicle's battery, a "current sensor"ť must be disconnected from the negative terminal. Failure to first disconnect this sensor can cause false sensor readings and set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). When reconnecting the battery terminals, first connect the positive terminal, and then the negative terminal without the current sensor connected. Finally reconnect the current sensor to the negative terminal.

Due to the internal design of the Q85 battery, the battery cannot be successfully quick charged. Quick charging will also cause internal damage to the battery. If the battery needs to be recharged, it should be done outside the vehicle, battery caps removed, and in a pan containing 11/2 - 2" of water to prevent battery overheating. Mazda Service Information provides complete and precise Q85 battery testing and recharging procedures that should be followed to guarantee proper battery service.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 10, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

stealie72 posted:

First time listener, first time caller:

Have a 2017 3 touring with 27k miles on it that gets used for a 45 minute each way commute through suburbia and into the edge of the city every day.

Had to replace the rear brakes because one side was down to the backer and grinding, and the other was close. The fronts looked OK without taking the wheels off, but my 30 years of experience with cars told me they had to be close if the rears were shot, so I order a full set of parts.

Replace the rears this morning (with a cheat code to back off the e-brake, that was a first for me), then move around and jack up the front and take off the wheel and the brakes are fine. Barely any wear on the rotor, a good amount of pad left.

So my question: What the hell? The internet claims this is a known issue for the 3, but what is making the rears wear out so quickly and not remotely in proportion to the front?

Mine went through it's rear pads around 30k while the front had no issues. My guess would be Mazda is providing much thinner starting pads (probably to save cash on parts) which are also being worn faster by the traction control system. Just a guess though. Alas the era of rear pads lasting until the heat death of the universe has passed.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 23, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

More Mazda rumor time: https://www.motor1.com/news/368139/mazda-vision-coupe-production-rumor/

quote:

A road-going version of the Mazda Vision Coupe concept (gallery below) from 2017 will reportedly debut at this year's Tokyo Motor Show in October, according to Best Car without citing a specific source for the info. Like the show car, the production model will allegedly have four-door coupe styling. Sales won't start until 2022, though.

After lots of rumors, this model will reportedly bring a four-door, rear-wheel-drive sedan back to the Mazda lineup. It'll also allegedly use the company's new 3.0-liter inline-six engine.

Rumors have been swirling for years about Mazda developing a rear-drive platform, possibly with plans to share it with Toyota.

Just rumors but it's fun to think about something similar to a resurrected 929 becoming reality. Over the last few months there were rumors that Toyota was going to use the mentioned Mazda platform and engine in a new Lexus coupe.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

bolind posted:

Care to qualify that statement?

It's a safety concern. After the tire is broken apart into strips of rubber, steel belt, and nylon cord while doing 60 down the freeway is not the ideal time to find out that it was running too low on air pressure. Best case scenario you pull over and the tire liner doesn't get destroyed and you can get it to a shop for patching. Worst case you, your car, and possibly some unlucky nearby drivers all get to go on a mystical 3D journey through the world of high speed uncontrolled kinetic physics.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Your car thinks you need Jesus.

The car is trying to find the local Zoroastrian station to inform you that Android is awesomely Asha and iOS is dreadfully Druj.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 26, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Shut up and post cool Mazda poo poo instead.

The Tokyo auto show is about a month away and Mazda will probably have some cool Mazda poo poo to show off. Their first electric vehicle will be there. The EV drive train has been getting testing in CX-30 mule cars but the actual EV itself won't be the CX-30.

If god has decided we've suffered enough in 2019 hell dimension we might see some sort of sport sedan with the new 300+ hp inline six Skyactiv beast.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

In the Philippines the fourth gen Mazda 3 hit the market with five different trim levels. The top trim is the "Mazda 3 Speed" with the NA 2.0L Skyactiv engine :troll:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Video Nasty posted:

I filled my gen3 Mazda3 up for a drive from Chicago to upper Michigan to meet up with the in-laws at a cabin on the lake. The car reported 500mi to an empty tank and we rode exactly 450mi there and back. My wife opted to take her new(er) Prius hybrid, but it only gets 350mi on a full tank.
We drove all the way out, made two pit-stops and a detour and I didn't have to refill the tank until after that weekend when we got back. Anyways that's my Mazda story thanks for asking.

I took a first gen and later a third gen from Washington to Minnesota during summer. The third gen got pretty decent mileage the whole way even after it packed on a few pounds worth of bug butter:

I think that was somewhere in South Dakota? Also had to stop in Western Montana after hitting a bug cloud so thick I had to pull over to clean my windshield because I could no longer see out of it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Mazda 3 TCR announced for racing type stuff: https://jalopnik.com/the-mazda-3-tcr-race-car-has-the-attitude-and-fender-fl-1838681176

Dunno about that wing but the rest of the body kit looks not bad?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MX-30 announced at Tokyo Auto Show

No specifics on the drive train, range, etc.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Year old cabin air filter:

The car ate part of a bird and a cat toy at some point? :confused:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The FOB uses a CR2025 battery which is common at most super markets or, as you said, can be bought in packs for relatively cheap online.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MetaJew posted:

I found a bunch more chips and scratches in the paint that I should probably fix, but I'm still surprised with how shiny I can get the paint.

Anyone here have experience with Dr. Colorchip? Can it fill or fix scratches and chips that are down to the primer? I have a vial of touch-up paint from the Mazda dealer but I've never been good at applying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZq_jeYsbTs

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SFH1989 posted:

Weird problem with my girlfriend's Mazda3. It's a 2018 Touring automatic with 10k miles that was purchased new in June. I just put 205/60-16 General Altimax snows on it for the winter.

She was driving it and the traction control light came on followed by an intermittent squealing noise. Then the CEL (not blinking) came on and it went into limp mode (I was not there for this). Also when put into reverse the gas pedal goes dead and the car doesn't move. In park it seems to be running normally. The "AT" light is also on.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's still under warranty so this isn't the end of the world but we're three hours from home for Thanksgiving.

I'd say your transmission has completely poo poo itself but I'm not really sure what to make of the, "Also when put into reverse the gas pedal goes dead and the car doesn't move" part. Does this mean the engine doesn't rev up at all or the car just doesn't move as if it was in neutral gear?

Obviously this isn't normal for these cars, historically Mazda3s like to eat motor mounts, make their drivers deaf with road noise, but otherwise don't have any notable transmission quirks across four generations. It's just really bad luck :(

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

SFH1989 posted:

The engine does not rev at all, the gas pedal does nothing. This all happened within about 15 minutes, no issues before that. The transmission blew up in my mom's '13 Escape while I was driving it last year and that gave some warning signs.

It's currently sitting less than a mile from a Mazda dealer but their service department is closed on the weekend. The closest one with weekend service is an hour away, an hour closer to home at least.

It's a real bummer, we both like the car a lot.

You'll ultimately need to get to a dealer. You may also want to review the lemon laws in your state - I don't doubt that you've had a huge strike of lovely luck regarding the transmission in this case. Mazda has been using these SkyActiv engines and transmissions for years without many issues for the majority of everyone on the planet. But I also worry if the dealer doesn't have a good tech to dismount one transmission and mount a new one you're gonna be stuck with a car that has "weird" problems for the whole time you own it. If the law let's you I'd say toss it and get another of the same color.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

A whole stack of CX-30 reviews dropped and the general consensus seems to be that it is good:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-mazda-cx-30-feels-like-a-lower-budget-porsche-1840400139
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/12/the-2020-mazda-cx-30-is-a-crossover-youll-actually-enjoy-driving/
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-mazda-cx-30-preview/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30215362/2020-mazda-cx-30-drive/
https://www.motor1.com/reviews/387657/2020-mazda-cx30-review/

I mean, yay for Mazda but boo because even more SUVs?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I went on the Mazda tour in Hiroshima this summer, they were punching out a poo poo ton of CX-30s and anniversary NDs on the same line.

Really happy with the '20 Mazda3 hatch so far.

I don't have the big corporate man smarty pants on so maybe I'm missing something but a fourth generation electrified Mazda3 would conquer the entire North American market in like five minutes.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

TealShark posted:

2019 & 2020 Mazda 3s are being recalled because they car might just decide to slam on the breaks because reasons. I've had this happen on my 2019, it was terrifying. The mechanic at one dealership said that I probably had a foggy windshield. I don't go to that dealership anymore.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-recall-emergency-braking/

I'm only now starting to see a fourth generation 3 in the wild occasionally. Nice to know to maintain some distance while observing and trying to decide if I like or hate the new body. Love the front end so far, not sure what I think about the rest.

quote:

Mazda said that it’s reported the defect to the NHTSA, but it hasn’t been posted on the website yet. The fix is easy for some, but more difficult for others. Vehicles with early build dates will need the whole instrument cluster replaced or reprogrammed, as these cars have a different procedure for "temporary manual deactivation of the Smart Braking System." These early build cars will also receive a new owner's manual to reflect the revised procedure of temporary manual deactivation of the system. Later cars will only need the Smart Braking System software reprogrammed with an improved version. Mailings to owners for notification purposes should be completed on or before February 17 next year.

:stare: I have a late 2014 3 with all the bells and whistles and most of them can be turned on/off with the push of a button to the left of the steering column. The collision avoidance system of the time is only active under 20 mph so these newer cars must be a real experience when going anywhere above 40 mph and the car suddenly thinks a brick wall is in front of you. Note: I don't drive with any of the safety systems disabled but it is sorta nice that it's an option if it becomes a temporary problem.

Edit: Although disabling such things shouldn't be that easy and doing so via console menus is better than push buttons.
Edit 2: If the console never crashes. Which it does.
Edit 3: gently caress it, leave the buttons in.
Edit 4: But don't just configure the buttons to just send requests to the console software.
Edit 5: gently caress it 2, just give cars giant stereo systems with very refined and well implemented Bluetooth/RCA/3.5" input support. No one can access CAN bus ever for any reason.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 23, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah if the radar cruise and auto high beams can't figure out what the hell is going on they default to off. Lane departure warning is the same way and will display a certain icon if it can't find the lines to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

More Mazda rumor time: https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-mazda-6-will-be-rear-wheel-drive-with-an-inlin-1842862434

Car and Driver said via Jalopnik posted:

Mazda plans to adopt the blueprint of a full luxury model and hang a lower price on it. The next-generation 6, which should be on sale by the end of 2022, is set to get a full Bavarian, transitioning to a longitudinal-engine platform with rear-wheel drive and an inline-six.

That engine won’t just be a new layout for Mazda. It will incorporate the company’s Skyactiv-X sort-of-compression-ignition gasoline technology as well as a 48-volt hybrid system. We’ve seen numbers approaching 350 horsepower thrown around. If that sounds like an unrealistic R&D load for a company Mazda’s size, well, yeah, it is. However, Mazda has lately been deepening its ties with Toyota, which may adopt the six-cylinder Skyactiv-X for the next-generation Lexus IS and RC.

If true I think this might be the car my ghost rides around in once Corona gets me.