Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hi, I have a question about my new (to me) Mazda CX-5: can I install a 17'' winter tires (on appropriate size rims) if it came with 19'' all season tires? Or if I do that there would need to be an adjustment in the computer to tell the car that now I have 17'' tires? The manual gives both dimensions (P225/65R17 100H and P225/55R19 99V) but it does say: When replacing tires, Mazda recommends that you replace tires of the same type originally fitted to your vehicle. For details, contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer.

I will ask the dealer next week when I'll have Android Auto installed, but I would sleep easier if the answer is yes and I find it earlier. The 17'' are quite a bit cheaper than the 19''.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

dissss posted:

You’re fine so long as the overall diameter is close to original (which it will be if you’re switching to another tyre size that was a factory option).

Thanks. So the 17'' tire is essentially just "taller" than the 19'' one to keep the same diameter?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
When I went in to the dealer for an oil change with my 2017 CX-5, the dealer happily told me that I need the 48000km maintenance package for $200 (on top of the oil change). Since I was only at 45K km, I told him that I'll wait for now, but asked what was the things that needed to be done?

quote:

This include four wheel brake servicing/maintenance
Looking in the manual at the maintenance schedule, at 48K km I need to have inspected: Drive belts, Disc brakes, Engine coolant level, Brake and clutch fluid level and Washer fluid level. The only thing remotely resembling what he said is the disk brakes and they only need to be inspected (and cleaned, repaired, replaced if needed I suppose). Is that a $200 (CAD) job? Should I bother next time? Should I even go to them anymore? I have a mechanic that I know and trust that I'm going to with my wife's car and used to with my old Mazda, but I thought I should go to the dealer for the warranty. I'll ask him anyway next time, what does he think about the "wheel brake servicing" business.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Cannot be that bad like a BMW I drove once for about 30 min. The signal stick in that doesn't work like normal things do. You move it up or down like normal, but then it doesn't stay there, comes back straight. To stop signalling, you have to move it again up or down. I suppose one gets used to it after a while, but it's such a head scratcher, such an idiotic design ... wtf were they thinking?

Or a Mercedes Benz I drove once for 10 minutes (test drive): the "gear" (it was automatic) stick was by the steering wheel where normally the windshield wiper was (on the right). Same shape, size and everything like a windshield wiper stick. The signalling stick and wiper stick were on the left, and I think they were both put into one, certain rotations/actions would cause it to either signal or move the wipers. Luckily my wife (would have been for her that car) said that she doesn't wanna deal with that nonsense and we bought another one (mazda cx-5).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Column shifters like that used to be really common, especially on a american cars. A lot of pickups still had them into the 2000s.

Oh, no, that wasn't a column shifter, I've seen those before. I mean, it didn't look like those at all. It looked like a standard wiper stick.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
My wife today took the CX-5 to the dealer to change the oil (no, I do not know, have the tools or the space to do that). I, as always, told her to just say no to whatever they're trying to sell her. She, like a good wife, did just that. It turns out that they recommended replacing the rear brake pads, since the current ones have 4mm left.
How long can she drive with them? Those have to be changed, of course, sooner than later, but I wonder how much should we hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fingat posted:

Hello thread. Here is my new to me 3. Its a used 23 premium, had less than 5k miles on it. Picked it up a week ago. I gave it a full detail Saturday, and got tint done today. This is my 4th 3, (one each gen) and first that isn't black, and my first red car. I like it a lot so far, really like the interior.

Congrats Looks amazing.. Mazda really knocked it out of the park with this red colour when they introduced it. One day I must have one as well.