Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Before I start randomly making GBS threads up threads, is this the general non-Miata/non-rotary Mazda thread, or is this for MZRs only?

I just got a CX-50 a couple weeks ago and didn’t see another thread that might fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

fknlo posted:

Congrats on the cx-50. If my girl had wanted something that size I would have grabbed her one instead of the cx-30 carbon I ended up going with. It’s probably the best looking suv out there right now.

I'm really happy with it, it's basically a nice midpoint between my last 2 cars (last one was a 4Runner, before that a GTI). It's somehow even more red than my last car.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

The CX-50 does have a touch screen, but it’s only touch for CarPlay/AA and you have to enable that in a menu to allow touch while driving.

I don’t know if they added it to the 2023 CX-30.

I’m perfectly fine without it—I like the knob interface except for entering text. It’s the one place where it falls down. I don’t think it’s that much slower than touching a screen keyboard while moving, but it’s just off enough to make you grumble.

Also, the knob isn’t just a rotary spinner; it has cardinal directions which have alternative functions in the phone mirroring setups (e.g. page down versus single item, or moving to adjacent areas without scrolling). It has a learning curve, but once you understand the rules it’s very comfortable to operate. Especially since it’s always within your line of sight.

I was going to basically say everything this guy did. It’s an odd choice making the screen touch-capable but not actually use it unless you’re in CarPlay, but the knob works surprisingly well even for CarPlay.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Quick FYI in case anyone's interested, I posted some OEM 20" CX-50 wheels with tires and TPMS sensors in the Marketplace thread. These should also fit a CX-5, and maybe some other models (I can check if you're curious).