Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovine Delight posted:

Black and red are both acceptable you numpty. That hideous blue is not. (note: cannot see the pic due to waffleimages sucking)

Everyone knows metro gray is the best. I love how it changes color depending on the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've got winter tires/wheels so I'm at 23K without around 25% left on my stock RE050's. Trying to decide what to replace them with when the times comes, probably sometime this summer or fall. You can go up in width one size on the stock wheels right? Seems like a much bigger selection than in the stock size.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ffffffff my shifter is all jacked up in my 08.5 Speed. Pushing down to get into reverse takes a ton of effort, and to bring it back up to the forward gears I have to yank upwards instead of it popping back up. From looking it up it seems like dealers just replace the whole shifter. I have a short shift plate but don't see how that can be related, seems like an issue with the shifter itself. Bleh.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovine Delight posted:

Now is the time to buy a whole new shifter!

http://protegegarage.com/1675-product-1675.html

Go forth and post updates so I know if I want to buy one. ;)

Nah I'm still under warranty, and I'm really happy with the short shift plate already.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

On the way to the dealer things got....a little worse:

Now I'm rocking a Hyundai Accent while they wait for my new shifter to arrive.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SynMoo posted:

They didn't question or hassle you about the SSP?

Took it back to stock to be safe, but its not like it could have caused the issue.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Battle Cattle posted:

Also, the smell from the new turbo is absolutely awful, its like a pile of burning clutches.

I remember my Speed having that smell when it was new for the first few days.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovine Delight posted:

My speed3 is approaching 40k and I haven't seen any of these turbo issues (I think). What should I be looking for?

Massive clouds of blue/white smoke at idle

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Summer tires/wheels finally back on. No more steelies and squirmy blizzaks, my car is fun to drive again! I haven't washed it since before winter but it poured the past couple days so it looks surprisingly clean.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Search continues.

Found this one and talked to the dealer Friday afternoon. Looking good so far.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...05&aff=national

Oh my god that "video" is hilariously awful

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Brain Issues posted:

They also look good on the RX-8

Not the same wheels

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

air- posted:

What I kinda dig are Gen2 wheels on the Gen1 MS3 (not my car):

ffffffffff that looks good

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I've noticed this a few times on my 09 MS3 and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this/if it's normal. I have a little over 13k miles on it. I bought it from another person in town with 12k miles.

When I get home or I'm parked/sitting/idling somewhere in neutral, with the clutch engaged, I'll hear some rattling/chattering from the clutch. If I press in the pedal the sound goes away. It's not loud, but it's noticeable if you're somewhere quiet.

Is my throwout bearing going bad, or is this normal? I've done some very limited searching and found that other MS3 owners have experienced this, but I'm not sure if this is something I should take the car to a dealer for, since it's still under the factory warranty.

My 08.5 does the same thing, but usually only after a longer drive and everything is real hot. Its not super easy to reproduce so I've just ignored it for now.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They did a brief news bit on the MPS3 to some boring stock footage of it, you can find it on YouTube

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Check the rear sway bar end link nuts. You can lean down and see/feel them without raising it. They come loose pretty commonly.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:hfive: Metro Grey buddies

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:mad: mother. fuckers.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Whyyy?!

Ask the assfuck who did that to every car on our street. I've got another just as long on the rear door.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Are the seats in the 2012 just as hideous as they were before? The Alcantara seats in the first gens are amazing.

One of my favorite things from the 08.5 refresh, so glad I waited instead of getting an 08

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm stressing out over tires for my MS3. Its almost time for replacements, I have a track day coming up and don't think my stock RE050A's will pass tech. Anyway, trying to decide between what I think I have it narrowed down to, either the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport or the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. Both are reviewed well enough, but the one thing that seems to come up often is that compared to the stockers, they don't feel quite as sharp in quick adjustments, and that they may have more sidewall flex. Thats the one thing I love about my car, how precise and sharp it feels, I actually really like the stock tires, and it would kill me to lose that with new ones. Anybody have any advice?

opengl fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2011

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Thanks for the input thus far. Here's what I'm trying to decide. My stockers are almost definitely done for, but I could easily get a few more months out of them on the road. My track day is November 13. Ideally I'd run these through the track day, then replace them after (can actually wait until next year, since mid to late November is when I put my winter wheels/tires on anyway). But I'm afraid they won't pass tech. My worry is getting brand new tires, and tearing them up during the track day. I anticipate 6-7 20 minute sessions. It's a ~2 mile road course. Here's some pictures of my current tires.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I shot them an email with the photos, hoping to hear back soon.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They look tiny and awkward, even for winter rims.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Test video with my headrest mount/gopro for my upcoming track day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTNhlYe1zQ

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is really cool! I want to get a GoPro pretty bad. It seems like you don't get too much field of view with it mounted there though. It is a lot of dead cabin space, and you don't get too much of a feel for where the lines are if you want to see where you are hitting the apexes and whatnot.

Yeah its about as wide as I'd want it, I did want to have the steering wheel and shifter in frame though. There is a wider FOV setting, but that is way too much fisheye. The new GoPro2 has even more FOV options, as I understand it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

hellooooo expensive new hobby

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Here's one of my sessions from this past weekend at NJMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52TvP1-KYic

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jealous. How much did that set you back?

$225 for the day, 7 15 minute sessions.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nodoze posted:

That seems like a good price for that much time, and it looks really fun too.

It was a total freaking blast. My car was much more capable than I was expecting on the track. I'm definitely doing a few more days next year.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I really want to take my car to a track day. What sort of prep did you do and how much wear did see at the end of the day?

By that, I mean did you go through a pair of tires/pads/rotors? And I assume you flushed your brake fluid before and maybe did an oil change before/after?

I required very little prep. I did an oil change a month ago, so I was fine there. No need to do one right after either, maybe just move my next one up 500-1000 miles at most. Brakes are all factory at 27K, didn't touch them, though I did bring new pads and fluid just in case. They did fine, just got a little soft towards the end of the day. I'll bleed them soon to be safe. I did go with brand new tires, because my stockers were just about done for and I was worried I wouldn't pass tech. This particular track has a really slow tight turn that is known to eat tires, but I took it relatively easy through the day, and didn't see too much wear, just a little surface shredding, already wore off on the drive home.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FWIW I have 16" steelies for the winter on my MS3, that Tirerack sold me. 16x6.5, 205/60/16

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Brain Issues posted:

I just drove from Indiana to Massachusetts last weekend and my best tank was 27.7, with my trip meter telling me I was getting 31.2 mpg.

I think that my actual MPG would have been 1 or 2 higher if the fuel wasn't 10% ethanol everywhere that I filled up. Before this trip I did mostly only city driving so my best tank was only 21mpg.

Ugh, I hate it so much. It's impossible to get anything other than E10 around here. I remember when they switched over seeing an instant drop in economy. Freaking corn subsidies.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=200787.0

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

I still can't get over how monumentally ugly the 2nd gen seats are compared to the Alcantara covered bliss of the 1st gen GT.

Love my seats. So so much. Don't know how they screwed up so badly.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

air- posted:

Anyone else get this letter? Gonna bring my car in sometime this week.

Can someone rehost? That stupid forum wants me to register.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's the same ones I got last week and lol'd about since I was over 70k miles a year ago. One is for VVT/timing chain noise, the other is for smoking turbos. Coincidentally, I have neither problem on my '07.

http://angrywaffles.net/ai/ssp86.pdf
http://angrywaffles.net/ai/ssp%2087.pdf

Huh. No smoking on my 08.5, but I have noticed what sounds like the VVT rattle, but only a few times and it was after a really long drive when the motor was hot. Only has happened a handful of times though. Hopefully if it does get worse it happens before 70k!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Iiiiineteresting, just noticed the letter specifically says only federal emissions vehicles are covered for the smoking turbo. Was something different with CA emissions models? I got mine in PA, but it has CA emissions.

e: looking it up, yup, PA seems to do the CA thing now

States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Jobert posted:

Thanks for the information guys. I convinced the mechanic that the misfires weren't plug/coilpack related and got him to drive the car some and actually hear the whooshing noise. He agrees it's turbo related.

Unfortunately, all of the hoses check out. The mechanic wants to replace the turbo. His parts source (a dealer) is way overpriced. I found several options online. Would something like this Turbo Part come with everything required for the replacement?

Thanks again, lots of great information in this thread!

Seriously, take it to somebody who knows the first thing about these cars. It sounds like he just wants to throw parts at it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

LTBS, this may be completely silly, but my 2011 with under 10K miles was making a hell of a lot of noise on bumps at low speed (under 30 MPH) on the rear wheels. Took it to the dealer and they found that the sway bar links needed to be retorqued. Took care of a lot of noise(s) and the car seems to handle better now. Wish I'da gone to get that checked sooner.

Amazing this is still an issue. This happened to my 08.5, and I think I've read about it happening to people with 05's and 04's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

:( boo. Does yours also have the issue with the rough shift when you decel to like 1st gear then accel again? Makes city driving a pain sometimes (not to mention the fact that it makes you look like you're an idiot driving a stick wrong when it throws you forward or back in your seat). Service guy at the dealership said his '11 6 had the same thing.

No such issue, but I've got a speed so the whole driveline is different than a n/a 3