Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You'd be better off getting a set of 16"s and the inherent higher profile tires that come with them to get the same rolling diameter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mmm, the old 323 GTX/GTR debacle?

I have a few friends who had these cars, they ate poo poo if you treated them wrong, and if they got real hot and you beat on them at all, the transmission housing would flex enough to make it grenade in short order even without direct abuse.

Add in the ketchup effect from a poorly tuned engine with 250 whp and you have a pretty nice recipe for bad times.

One of the better known rally drivers over here in :norway: said he could build a better transmission, but it would have 4 gears and no reverse. Then it'd be strong enough for proper rally use with 300+whp.

The same engine (BP) family was also used in the miatas, and people often use GTR cams etc in their turboed miatas.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Well, Midland, TX and its legendary lovely drivers finally caught up with me today, but I actually got pretty lucky in the scheme of things. The other guy walked in spite of being at full fault and having neither license nor insurance. Waiting for the adjuster to come out in a couple of days and figure out what's going to happen. Hoping the headache will be minimal.

Can post a shot or two if anyone wants to see (don't think there's any reason not to with the claim still open). Left rear corner is pretty well crushed but largely fixable, I think.

So... have you filed a police report yet? Your insurance company should be going after him, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

14+ is the new chassis though, right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

2003-2007? Early models had rust problems, don't really remember anything specific otherwise.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have a '15 3 with the 2.2D, about 46k miles. But I change to winter tires during the cold season. They are not used up, but a couple of track days last year means they are ready to be replaced anyway due to heat damage induced imbalance. Not very comfortable to drive above 70mph.

Pondering what to get next... On the MX5 I have federal 595rs-r, not that I'd consider them on the 3, but I am used to stickier tires and would like some of those qualities on the 3 as well, without sacrificing performance in the wet too much.

Also had to change the brakes on the rear due to a stuck pad a few weeks ago. Lesson learned: pull the brakes apart once a year and lube them up, or else... But I live in Norway and there's more salt on our roads than in the ocean 4-6 months of the year :sigh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

And people whine about the automatic transmission... I didn't want an automatic before I got my 2015 Mazda3 2.2d, now I don't want a manual in a daily driver ever again.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I run 205/50r15 Federal 595 RS-R as summer tires, they're pretty great for trackdays but they're not exactly rain tires :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Some people like to drive, others like to simply steer :colbert:

To and from work in the daily I mostly just steer, adaptive cruise does the rest, so I guess that's pretty accurate :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

I'm trying to decide between manual and auto in my next car, considering I do 100km per day on Canada's most congested highways I'm leaning towards auto...but man I miss having a stick-shift.

Honestly? If you're looking at a Mazda, just get the automatic. The Skyactiv automatic is super awesome to drive, it locks up pretty much as soon as its moving, so you don't get that typical slushbox feeling where the motor revs before anything happens. Just make sure you get the package with adaptive cruise control, adaptive lights etc.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Use aCar or fuelly.com to track fuel mileage, not the trip computer in the car.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Unless you have a separate terminal on the battery, the regulator will see alternator voltage without a battery hooked up.

I still wouldn't do it, but it takes a lot for this to have any real bad effects.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

drat, how did that happen?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've had that happen on a few mazdas, my solution has been to slow down some and turn the wipers down a step. If it rains that hard, odds are you are at risk for hydroplaning anyway.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Consider aiming both over your car for maximum expression in traffic. I once saw a small car do this (might’ve even been a Miata, come to think of it), just lay on the washer fluid for a good 10-20 seconds and piss all over someone who was being a douche on the highway. One of the most hilarious and satisfying things I’ve ever seen.

I've seen people do this with headlight washers, it's awesome.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Iirc you can adjust it? Should be a procedure for it somewhere.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's a 2.2 twin turbo diesel with a very nice torque curve, I have the same engine in a Mazda3 (the 150bhp, 295ft-lb version).

The mazda3 2.2d gets around 40-47 mpg highway depending on speed and conditions, but the CX-5 is heavier with presumably less efficient aerodynamics, though I find 31 mpg hard to believe.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The 40-47 i quoted above is my personal experience :v: its rated at even higher mpg from Mazda, but this is with the European test cycle.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Size isn't a great factor for safety as long as you're not comparing a Miata to a 6, heh.

The tests are right, perceptions are worthless in comparison.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'll probably get the upgrade for my '15 3.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Do you even get the diesels in the US? The Mazda 3 is really nice with around 300 ft-lb of torque :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eww.

I much prefer the 14-18 gen over this abomination. Though I own a '15, so I'm probably biased.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

How's the 15 noise wise? I came from dailying a Miata so when I got my 2011 I thought it was fairly quiet but now I drive any other vehicle and realize how loud it is at interstate speed.

It's not super good, though everything is relative... a friend of mine has a slightly older Ford Focus and he mentioned the lack of noise :haw:

I also drive a Miata ('99 10AE RHD) and I use a Bose QC25 headset in that on the highway when I'm headed home from the track.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You wear active noise cancelling headphones while driving? What the gently caress?

gently caress yeah.

I also check my mirrors and pay attention while driving.

Pro tip: you hear sirens through them just fine.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Isn't driving with headphones on or similar devices illegal in some states?

Yeah, but not in :norway: - though if you get into an accident and they find you at fault in part because of you not paying attention, it's not going to make things better for you.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is a ridiculous comparison. They’re not intentionally blocking out sound since they don’t have, you know, a choice.

Driving with headphones in is dumb, full stop. It’s even worse when they’re active noise cancelling designed to cancel outside noise.

The noise cancelling headphones only block out the road noise, and I generally listen to music or podcasts at a relatively low volume. Sirens and other sharp sounds get through the noise cancelling just fine.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Going from my '95 240sx to the '09 MS3, the HIDs were an amazing improvement in nighttime driving. However, a few months ago I had to travel for work and rented a Subaru Legacy with steerable headlights-- and I realized just how lovely my MS3's headlights are.

The steerable HIDs in the '15 are loving amazing.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah mine beeps at me quite a lot too, though the 15 is less annoying than the 18.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Looks like my Mazda3 will be sold early next year, to make room for a TM3... This'll be weird.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

I had a test drive in a Mazda 3 and a Hyundai Ioniq. I was thinking that on that day I would feel that one of these cars is rubbish and the other is great. Unfortunately I didn't want to part with either car. I'm binging car reviews since then.

Ioniq? I'd go for the Mazda... unless the Ioniq is electric and that's a factor for you, in which case I'd go for a TM3 instead :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If you live somewhere they salt the roads, do a brake service once a year, your wallet will thank you.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I like that they have a proper HUD in the 3 now, but the body lines, especially in the rear
... welp.

Glad i sold my '15 when I did.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Mazda Skyactiv-D is really nice, especially when paired to the automatic transmission. It could be a bit more frugal, but the low-end torque and wide powerband is amazing thanks to the twin turbo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's loving horrid.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My only advice would be: don't get all season tires.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Skyactiv AT is pretty good for what it is, better than most ATs out there except maybe some of the higher-end BMW units.

I had the 2015 Mazda3 with the 2.2 diesel (295 ft-lb of torque) and AT, it was very smooth.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Going down that rabbit hole might be useful for other, unrelated reasons, though.

Do you have any good shops nearby that can do a honest assessment of the mechanical soundness of your car? Might be worth doing that, and then estimating the cost per year (and/or per mile) factoring in expected corrective (or preventative) maintenance.

In my case, switching from a 2015 Mazda 3 to a new Tesla made (some) financial sense for yearly/per mile costs, but I'll readily admit that the drop in resale value will probably sting down the road.

E: A big factor for me was that I wasn't too keen on owning a diesel car out of warranty with a very expensive particulate filter that's prone to fail after 100k miles, and 6.3k mile oil intervals (that had to be done at a dealer because lol resetting oil values in the ECU).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get the TPMS poo poo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gimme an electric Mazda 3 already :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Replace the fob battery, I had similar problems with my 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's under warranty, call Mazda roadside assistance, they'll take care of it.